ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 / Big East Matchups to be announced this week and odd game leaked...

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Per Rothstein...

There are 8 games so we have a 50% chance to play..

This post was edited on 4/13 10:45 PM by BigEastPhil

Re: Big 10 / Big East Matchups to be announced next week

Actually it is a 57% chance as the Big has 14 teams not 16. Thanks for posting Phil.

Re: Big 10 / Big East Matchups to be announced next week

I could see us being left out this year and we would be better off for it. Since only 8 games they figure to leave off one Big East bottom feeder as well and RU is clearly the worst Big 10 schools. Even playing a weaker school like Marquette or Creighton would still see RU as a sizable underdog

I know that Louisville has already been scheduled as part of the Barclays tourney but RUs schedule was like top 50 this year, there is no reason for this. The schedule needs to be dumbed down significantly. I see no benefit to playing Louisville this year or a game in Brooklyn, the program is just so far behind where NYC presence would matter. RU needs wins and they the easiest games they can find. The Big 10 is hard enough and we are nowhere near the point where rpi woud matter

Per Rothstein, 1 of the 8 games has been leaked and it'll be Nebraska at Villanova.

Odd matchup IMHO as you have a bottom feeder Big 10 team playing a top tier Big East team - in a matchup that has no intrigue or history.

I would have thought a top Big 10 team would have been scheduled to play Nova such as Maryland or an intra PA. game with Nova vs PSU.

Originally posted by BigEastPhil:
Per Rothstein, 1 of the 8 games has been leaked and it'll be Nebraska at Villanova.

Odd matchup IMHO as you have a bottom feeder Big 10 team playing a top tier Big East team - in a matchup that has no intrigue or history.

I would have thought a top Big 10 team would have been scheduled to play Nova such as Maryland or an intra PA. game with Nova vs PSU.
Was Nebraska/Nova already scheduled? It seems silly to waste a likely top-10 game on Nebraska. I was hoping Maryland got Nova. Now I have to hope for a date with Georgetown. Beating up on the Hoyas in the regular season would be a decent constellation prize, I guess.

I was thinking the matchups would be selected geographically. So much for that.

I probably missed multiple threads on the subject so I apologize in advance, but can someone shed some light on why it's B1G - Big East this year? Is it some sort of rotation or are we linked to the Big East in the challenge format for the foreseeable future? Thanks.

Originally posted by Skull83:

I probably missed multiple threads on the subject so I apologize in advance, but can someone shed some light on why it's B1G - Big East this year? Is it some sort of rotation or are we linked to the Big East in the challenge format for the foreseeable future? Thanks.
The Gavitt Tipoff Games aren't replacing the B1G-ACC Challenge. It's just another high profile TV situation for the conference. It's made for tv, which is why we're all like...Nebraska and Villanova doesn't make much sense. Most people (and by most people I mean me) assumed matchups would be geographical i.e. Indiana-Butler, Maryland-Georgetown, Rutgers-Seton Hall, Nebraska-Creighton or by rankings i.e. top-5 Maryland vs. top-10 Nova, etc.

This leak doesn't make sense in either regard.

Originally posted by bingethinker:

Originally posted by Skull83:

The Gavitt Tipoff Games aren't replacing the B1G-ACC Challenge. It's just another high profile TV situation for the conference. It's made for tv, which is why we're all like...Nebraska and Villanova doesn't make much sense. Most people (and by most people I mean me) assumed matchups would be geographical i.e. Indiana-Butler, Maryland-Georgetown, Rutgers-Seton Hall, Nebraska-Creighton or by rankings i.e. top-5 Maryland vs. top-10 Nova, etc.

This leak doesn't make sense in either regard.
NU and Creighton have and will continue to play annually and it will not be part of the Big 10/BE arrangement. NU is trying to increase their profile even if it means taking it on the chin to some very good teams. NU requested Duke for the ACC challenge and Duke said no even if played at Duke. If Petteway returns(decision after his moms funeral tomorrow) with the transfers and redshirts NU stockpiled next year was the year NU folks thought they would be able to make the NCAA's not 2 years ago when they caught lightning in a bottle.

Thanks bingethinker, that does ring a bell now that you reminded me. I was also scratching my head at the NU - Nova matchup, but maybe it's as simple as huskersalways suggests - Nebraska may have lobbied for the game.

I've been away but this is the first time I'm hearing about a BE-B1G challenge in basketball. Is it men's only or men and women? And most importantly, is the B1G - ACC challenge still on? We should get a home game out of that this time around.

I can't say I am at all excited about a BE-B1G challenge. It seems to legitimize the BE as a major conference, which is something that I am hoping will end soon. It still irks me that the CYOs were able to walk away scott free without paying any fees at all and got to take the conference name with them.

Originally posted by ecojew:
I've been away but this is the first time I'm hearing about a BE-B1G challenge in basketball. Is it men's only or men and women? And most importantly, is the B1G - ACC challenge still on? We should get a home game out of that this time around.

I can't say I am at all excited about a BE-B1G challenge. It seems to legitimize the BE as a major conference, which is something that I am hoping will end soon. It still irks me that the CYOs were able to walk away scott free without paying any fees at all and got to take the conference name with them.
Did this really just come from a Rutgers fan? You can't make this crap up. SMH

This post was edited on 4/15 5:56 PM by Corny T.

Carino reported that Seton Hall will not partake in the inaugural Gavitt series due to a scheduling conflict - primarily due its tourney in Charleston, SC.

Originally posted by ecojew:

That just isn't true. They theoretically could have broken off without paying anything, but they paid an absolute buttload of money to keep the Big East name. I have seen estimates in the range of $100 million USD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT