ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Wrestling Tournament Thread, 10am/SUNDAY Noon , BTN + :

FoxRU
I was told by sources very close to the family that Anthony was told by the coach that he would be wrestling in the tourney and the tryout was only for some word I forgot but posted earlier. So if that was true then I would be upset that I was not wrestling even if I lost the wrestleoff by 1

FoxRU
I was told by sources very close to the family that Anthony was told by the coach that he would be wrestling in the tourney and the tryout was only for some word I forgot but posted earlier. So if that was true then I would be upset that I was not wrestling even if I lost the wrestleoff by 1
Hmm good, let's get Ant to RU.. he can be AA for us if PSU don't wanna wrestle him

Ok - not embarrassing - just “poorly” and a “PROBLEM”
I used to come on these forums and tell people that Goodale was not going to get us to the next level back 8 or 9 years ago, only to be shut up and ridiculed by individuals who have probably never wrestled even in HS. I stand by my position, then and now. I would have thanked Scott for his service and then paid whatever it took to lure Pat Santoro from Lehigh. Santoro would have had this program competing for individual and team national championships. Now he is locked up at Lehigh for the long term, so that door is closed. Doesn't change the fact that Goodale is not the man to lead this program if we are truly committed to competing against the best.

I’m a big Rutgers fan and feel really bad when we underperform. The coaches seem like great guys and imagine they are not happy. Living a distance from New Brunswick could someone on the SKWC Board comment. Maybe the poster SKWC can comment instead of promoting events.

Did you notice that not one Ohio State kid wrestled below seed. Also they won 8 matches in the last 10 seconds. Lewis is the only Rutgers kid that wrestled above seed and won a match in the last seconds. I know Del and Gravina lost in the last seconds of a match. While great for Richie, wonder if his weight issues and response to winning a world championship hurt his other teammates. Did he create headaches and distract the coaches from the other wrestlers?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I used to come on these forums and tell people that Goodale was not going to get us to the next level back 8 or 9 years ago, only to be shut up and ridiculed by individuals who have probably never wrestled even in HS. I stand by my position, then and now. I would have thanked Scott for his service and then paid whatever it took to lure Pat Santoro from Lehigh. Santoro would have had this program competing for individual and team national championships. Now he is locked up at Lehigh for the long term, so that door is closed. Doesn't change the fact that Goodale is not the man to lead this program if we are truly committed to competing against the best.

The program has done quite well over the last 8-9 years, including several All Americans and we qualified 10 wrestlers for the NCAA just a couple of years ago. Our top wrestler was out this year, which would have made a difference in many matches. We have a ways to go, but we are doing just fine. I just wish we could get a Kinner, Glory or O’Malley in addition to Nico and Janzer.

Wow, Rac, that was quite a charismatic way of asking for inside info.

The program has done quite well over the last 8-9 years, including several All Americans and we qualified 10 wrestlers for the NCAA just a couple of years ago. Our top wrestler was out this year, which would have made a difference in many matches. We have a ways to go, but we are doing just fine. I just wish we could get a Kinner, Glory or O’Malley in addition to Nico and Janzer.
Sorry, that is called mediocrity. The program is treading water and has been for years. Since Goodale has taken over we have had 3 wrestlers make AA. That is it. Not one wrestler has even made the finals at the NCAAs and in 11 years only kid has made the semifinals. Santoro had 3 AAs in 2016 and National Champion last year. It is a joke and if we weren't in such a bad place in our other programs Goodale would be feeling a lot more heat.

Sorry, that is called mediocrity. The program is treading water and has been for years. Since Goodale has taken over we have had 3 wrestlers make AA. That is it. Not one wrestler has even made the finals at the NCAAs and in 11 years only kid has made the semifinals. Santoro had 3 AAs in 2016 and National Champion last year. It is a joke and if we weren't in such a bad place in our other programs Goodale would be feeling a lot more heat.
When Goodale took over the program was a joke... was bout to be cut y would wrestlers wanna go here at the time.zz it's a process... now we got to get the snowball rolling and good recruits will come..
excited to c how far NS and RL Savage will go this post season

Reactions: Leonard23 and rondi
[eyeroll] Yeah, ok. Taking over a fully funded & supported Lehigh wrestling program is a hell of a lot different than taking over an RU program that was on the chopping block & treated like a red-headed step child. RU has come a long way and continues to trend upwards....it’s a process. If you don’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you. RU is FINALLY getting university support, fully funded scholarships, new facilities (have you seen the Barn/dungeon), sell out crowds with promotional items and elite wrestlers. SKWC is doing its best to fundraise like Lehigh, PSU & OSU. I assume I should thank you for your support in helping make RU wrestling a better place :)

Go RU!
Diane

PS Hey Dagger, great minds think alike...or just “get it”

what other RU program has consistently ranked in top 20 year in and year out for the last 3 years? if you (RUforLife) think the wrestling team is only average, and want the head coach replaced, how do you stay as RU fan? we are terrible in vast majority of the sports we field. unless they are not top 20, they should get fired? then 90% of the coaches need to pack their stuff and clean out their office. if anything Goody and his coaching staff need to get a BIG raise!

Yep, that Cael Sanderson doesn't know what he's doing. :joy:
Never said that. It's nice to see that Coach Infallible is human after all. Man you psu guys are really insecure sometimes. Was that so horrid a post that it demanded a rebuttal? Friggin a 9 page thread and one post about a psu guy and here you guys come running. Do you have like a psu bat signal over on that site that goes off or something? It's truly fvcking amazing how fragile you guys are sometimes. Now go and tell your home board so they can all run over hear like you normally do. I expect them to arrive shortly.

Reactions: rondi
Just out of curiosity do the posters doing the bashing do anything to financially support the program and the SKWC? Can you give us the number of resident athletes training at Hawkeye, Nittany, etc? If you are not contributing financially you doing nothing to move things forward just spreading negativity. That is your prerogative. You are entitled to your opinion but I wonder if you truly understand exactly what the competitive landscape in the B1G is. A lot of people don’t realize what we are up against.

Good Job, Good Effort!

11th

Good Job, Good Effort!
Look here's another dipsh*t. Quick work @pawrestlersintn . Was this post really necessary? Does it make you feel better somehow. I just don't get rubbing it in like this. Are you just always a dick in life? I'm truly perplexed on what could possibly compel someone to be such an ass?

Last edited:
Never said that. It's nice to see that Coach Infallible is human after all. Man you psu guys are really insecure sometimes. Was that so horrid a post that it demanded a rebuttal? Friggin a 9 page thread and one post about a psu guy and here you guys come running. Do you have like a psu bat signal over on that site that goes off or something? It's truly fvcking amazing how fragile you guys are sometimes.
Nope, I just check in from time to time, and happened to read this thread. And, I read through the whole thread, before responding. Of course, yours wasn't the only post here. Apparently, a little friendly banter is enough to set you off, which might mean that fragility issues go both ways.

Oh, how nice Lemon. Thanks for taking the time & energy to visit multiple times with such thoughtful, creative words of wisdom.

Glad little lowly RU is entertaining you tonight. What, mom went to work?

Go RU!
Diane

PS You wasted your first posts on that...after joining since 2016 & 2017. Took 2 years to come up with that [roll]
PSS Get off the couch and out of your basement. There is so much more to life.

Nope, I just check in from time to time, and happened to read this thread. And, I read through the whole thread, before responding. Of course, yours wasn't the only post here. Apparently, a little friendly banter is enough to set you off, which might mean that fragility issues go both ways.

You guys have a 3-4 page post about Suriano that morphed into Rutgers and still wasn’t enough so you had to start posting here too. Too bad Matter can’t come back or maybe it’s now lemonrye I can’t keep up. Did you see any Rutgers posters on your Suriano thread. Nope because we don’t care what you guys think. People over there still think JVB celebrated hurting Nolf. Let’s top this one off with Goodale coming out in an interview and saying we are protecting NS knee so we are going to pull him and PSU is asking questions as if it isn’t the exact same circumstance with Nolf. Pretty humorous

Reactions: koleszar and rondi
You guys have a 3-4 page post about Suriano that morphed into Rutgers and still wasn’t enough so you had to start posting here too. Too bad Matter can’t come back or maybe it’s now lemonrye I can’t keep up. Did you see any Rutgers posters on your Suriano thread. Nope because we don’t care what you guys think. People over there still think JVB celebrated hurting Nolf. Let’s top this one off with Goodale coming out in an interview and saying we are protecting NS knee so we are going to pull him and PSU is asking questions as if it isn’t the exact same circumstance with Nolf. Pretty humorous

It's not that your fans aren't over there.... They aren't over here either.

Lacrosse/Soccer/Tennis/Bowling/ Wrestling forum

Yet you’re still here. Yawn, now you’re just boring me. Nonsensical.

Have a nice day.
Diane

Paw
My post stated that it was poetic justice for Shakur to get beat by Moore since Cassar had beaten Moore in the dual meet. I think Cassar would have beaten him again if given a chance to wrestle. Yes RU had a bad tournament but that does not mean you fire all of the coaches. You regroup and prepare for the NCAAs. Our group goes back to work to raise the money separate from the University to add whatever resident athletes we can get to help elevate the program to the Iowa, PSU, etc level. On to the Big Dance.

Good Job, Good Effort! Good Effort, Good Job!
This is the post of a less advanced in mental and social development human being. It's simplistic nature and moronic overtones are quite astounding. It would require the brain capacity of a 5 yr to concoct such mindless drivel. O, I do apologize if you are in fact 5 yrs. old.

When Goodale took over the program was a joke... was bout to be cut y would wrestlers wanna go here at the time.zz it's a process... now we got to get the snowball rolling and good recruits will come..
excited to c how far NS and RL Savage will go this post season
That is a total insult to all of the Rutgers wrestlers who came prior to Goodale. It's a process, okay, that might have worked for years 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, but at what point does the process have to produce results, years 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12? A process cannot last indefinitely, we are dealing with a coach who has been at it for a dozen years and has not produced one NCAA finalist and only one semifinalist. Talk about a joke. Now, we might have a finalist this year, a transfer from Penn State who never would have been in our program if he had not been injured last year. Any way you cut it, we are talking about mediocrity at best, period. Again, if we weren't so inept in most of our other athletic programs, Goodale would be under a lot more pressure.

That’s ridiculous, RULifer. First, that was, in no way, an insult to ANY RU wrestler, ever. We are JUST NOW getting full support & facilities (you know, the one I’m sure you supported that’s being built now). Despite that & it being used to recruit against us, RU is still a top 15 program. Yeah, and 10 NCAA champs are so easy to come by. You’re comparing us to ULTRA ELITE PROGRAMS! The drop off between the elite top 3 and the rest, is substantial. Yet, we are clawing our way up. You could easily have said “WOW, a PSU wrestler left that top level program to be here...at RU”. That’s impressive.

You’re the one insulting. Leave it to you to spin negativity about Suriano coming here to fit your agenda.

Go RU!
Diane

Reactions: TRU2RU
Anthony Ashnault 3x All American
Ken Theobold,’from lightly recruited to All American.
Anthony Perotti, developed into an All American
2 All Americans in 1 year. Twice . After decades of zilch.
Good chance of 2 more All Americans this year even w Ashnault out.
Top 6 in attendance from a program that drew a dozen or so.
Enough confidence to bring in one of the top assistants in the country.
Clean program. Fans and alums respect Goodale.

All for the ridiculous low salary of approx 150k

RU has a bargain.

Some of our fans just SUCK & it’s pissing me off. We don’t need a delusional fan base, ala Penn State, who always proudly stand up for their university no matter the circumstances. But, we do need some positivity and financial support. Put up or STFU already. Whine whine whine with budweiser pockets and champagne taste. Keep comparing us to heavily supported programs. It’s all about attitude here. Patience. Changing the way RU is perceived starts with us. Try it, you actually might see faster results.

Go RU!
Diane

Last edited:
Rondi, i am proud of you for not only sticking up for Rutgers and the program but for doing it with facts. Might I add and for giving RUforlife somethings to mulch on. We know his agenda is total anti Goodale. You have become a great wrestling fan and supporter.

And Life if you really are a lifer then support the program thru SKWC and Rutgers or change your name. It's misleading to say the least.

Reactions: TRU2RU and rondi
This thread is getting crazy right before the homestretch of the season. I think RU wrestling has come a very, very long way since Goodale has taken over. I think Scott has learned a lot over the past ten seasons. Yes, he came in with a ridiculous recruiting class in 2008. Think about it, he was able to get Melde, Langel, Menditto, Boyden, and Scott Winston. However, the recruiting class also hurt him in the long run not being able to get those wrestlers to where everyone predicted they'd be in college (I think if Winston came in 4-7 years after Goodale took over, it would have been a totally different).

Ever since that class, Goodale has revamped the program and helped develop talent that was overlooked by other colleges. He has filled the RAC and actually made it exciting to head down for a match. I applaud him for everything he has done and he will go down as one of the greatest NJ wrestling coaches in HS/College. Will we ever compete with the B1G juggernauts? Time will tell, but overall getting more financial support, more school backing, and keep recruiting heavy in NJ will help. But the proof is in the pudding, the more AAs Scoot churns out, the bigger the crowds at the RAC, the more appealing it looks for a blue chip to come to RU.

Reactions: TRU2RU and rondi
Paw
My post stated that it was poetic justice for Shakur to get beat by Moore since Cassar had beaten Moore in the dual meet. I think Cassar would have beaten him again if given a chance to wrestle. Yes RU had a bad tournament but that does not mean you fire all of the coaches. You regroup and prepare for the NCAAs. Our group goes back to work to raise the money separate from the University to add whatever resident athletes we can get to help elevate the program to the Iowa, PSU, etc level. On to the Big Dance.
You don't put someone in the post-season in order to beat one particular guy. You put them in to help you win the NCAA championship, which is the ultimate goal. If you look at Shak and Cassar's entire body of work, Shak has a pretty distinct edge this year, no matter how Shak wrestled in the B1G tournament and no matter that Cassar beat Moore in the dual.

Shak was 21-3, with 75% bonus, and Cassar was 15-2 with 29% bonus. They were both 2-2 against common opponents, but besides Moore, the other three results were better for Shak:

Vs. : Shak; Cassar
Boykin: Fall; SV 9-7
Hoelshlag: Fall: L SV 4-6
Conel: L 3-2; L 6-13

Then, figure in whatever was going on in the room, which the last result we heard was 7-3 for Shak, and the answer is pretty obvious.

Look here's another dipsh*t. Quick work @pawrestlersintn . Was this post really necessary? Does it make you feel better somehow. I just don't get rubbing it in like this. Are you just always a dick in life? I'm truly perplexed on what could possibly compel someone to be such an ass?
Are you accusing me of being LemmonRye? If so, you're mistaken.

This thread is getting crazy right before the homestretch of the season. I think RU wrestling has come a very, very long way since Goodale has taken over. I think Scott has learned a lot over the past ten seasons. Yes, he came in with a ridiculous recruiting class in 2008. Think about it, he was able to get Melde, Langel, Menditto, Boyden, and Scott Winston. However, the recruiting class also hurt him in the long run not being able to get those wrestlers to where everyone predicted they'd be in college (I think if Winston came in 4-7 years after Goodale took over, it would have been a totally different).

Ever since that class, Goodale has revamped the program and helped develop talent that was overlooked by other colleges. He has filled the RAC and actually made it exciting to head down for a match. I applaud him for everything he has done and he will go down as one of the greatest NJ wrestling coaches in HS/College. Will we ever compete with the B1G juggernauts? Time will tell, but overall getting more financial support, more school backing, and keep recruiting heavy in NJ will help. But the proof is in the pudding, the more AAs Scoot churns out, the bigger the crowds at the RAC, the more appealing it looks for a blue chip to come to RU.
In wrestling at the collegiate level you don't need 12 years to build a program. It is coach driven, get the right coach and the wrestlers will come no matter what the condition of the prior program. Cornell is a much tougher environment to be successful and look what their coach has done. The crowds are a testament to our great fan base that is desperate for any kind of winning, to the point that mediocre results are held up as success. What is really funny is that when he loaded the schedule with cupcakes and produced gaudy dual records a lot of the same fans arguing on his behalf now argued that it showed how far the program had come, yet when faced with a tougher schedule the same fans argued that dual record wins and losses don't matter, which is actually correct. So, what does matter in wrestling, not B1G titles, not dual meet records, but AAs and National Champions. In 12 years he has produced three wrestlers that made AA. Most of those were in 6- 8th place, only 1, yes 1 wrestler in 12 years has made an NCAA semifinal. This year a transfer from Penn State might help that record, but in 12 years he has not taken one of his initial recruits to the finals, that has nothing to do with the state of the program prior to his arrival, that is all on him. Anyway, I will stop because it is like talking to a wall, a wall that believes mediocrity at best is success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT