ADVERTISEMENT

Block R sighting in Santa Fe.

SantaFeScarlet

All American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
I'm pulling into Trader Joes at this morning and a car with Jersey plates and 3 Block R's on it (both sides and back) pulls out in front of me. I start beeping and flashing my lights and am right behind the car. It keeps going and is ignoring me. Finally, I pull to the left of it as it is about to head out onto a busy street. I am in the 'in' lane facing out and I keep beeping, roll my window down and this young guy's girlfriend in the passenger seat makes him roll down his window. The kid looked petrified as if I was a cop or worse yet a mobster whose gonna come out with a baseball bat. I yell 'RU' and he went from a state of terror to having a big fat welcoming Jersey smile. I had to speak quickly as I was facing the wrong way in an 'in' lane to the parking lot. I told him I own 'Inside Santa Fe' magazine and to go on InsideSantaFe.com and reach out to me. Turns out he's a Journalism Major from RU..small world.

Poor kid, his adrenaline is probably still flowing 1.5 hours later.

Go RU!!!

I'm pulling into Trader Joes at this morning and a car with Jersey plates and 3 Block R's on it (both sides and back) pulls out in front of me. I start beeping and flashing my lights and am right behind the car. It keeps going and is ignoring me. Finally, I pull to the left of it as it is about to head out onto a busy street. I am in the 'in' lane facing out and I keep beeping, roll my window down and this young guy's girlfriend in the passenger seat makes him roll down his window. The kid looked petrified as if I was a cop or worse yet a mobster whose gonna come out with a baseball bat. I yell 'RU' and he went from a state of terror to having a big fat welcoming Jersey smile. I had to speak quickly as I was facing the wrong way in an 'in' lane to the parking lot. I told him I own 'Inside Santa Fe' magazine and to go on InsideSantaFe.com and reach out to me. Turns out he's a Journalism Major from RU..small world.

Poor kid, his adrenaline is probably still flowing 1.5 hours later.

Go RU!!!
Love stories like this!

SantaFeScarlet, quick out-of-the-blue question... did you attend the RU at MSU game in 2003? I can swear I remember meeting you at that game.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/232490127

Reactions: redking
Gotta love those Rutgers encounters. Couple summers ago we were camping in Olympic National Park and I have a block R on my truck. We drove up to Cape Flattery which is the NW most point in the continental US and pretty remote. Of course there were a few vehicles parked where the trail started. My daughter and I were wearing Rutgers shirts and I had my hat. On the hike bike we ran into a family wearing Rutgers gear who were on vacation. Turned out to be Christian Colucci from the wrestling team and his family. They saw the R on my truck and were surprised that Rutgers people were in the area way out there. Had a nice conversation and they were a great family and RU reps.

MrScrew and I had an R encounter in Bluffton, SC in March. We pulled into a random strip mall and as I pulled in to park in a spot I notice that the car next to me had a very worn stars & stripes R on the back of a car that had SC plates. Because I always have R magnets in my car I get out and put a new stars & stripes magnet as well as a scarlet Block R on his car. As I get back into my vehicle MrScrew points out that the guy has just gotten into his car.....so I jump out and run around to his window and knock on it....startling him of course. He gingerly opens his door and I say, probably a little too enthusiastically, "I just gave you some R magnets!". He gets out and comes around to the back to see. Ends up he's a RU grad from some time in the 60's, hasn't been back to Piscataway in quite some time and was thrilled with the 2 new magnets.

Folks, remember, you can get FREE Rutgers Magnets in all 21 counties. Just a note, if you stopped back in the Winter at the Town Hall in South Toms River and they were out , they got a bunch more in. If you want to have your company or organization be a distribution site to give out Free Rutgers Magnets , contact sbeurskens@scarletknights.com.

Gotta love those Rutgers encounters. Couple summers ago we were camping in Olympic National Park and I have a block R on my truck. We drove up to Cape Flattery which is the NW most point in the continental US and pretty remote. Of course there were a few vehicles parked where the trail started. My daughter and I were wearing Rutgers shirts and I had my hat. On the hike bike we ran into a family wearing Rutgers gear who were on vacation. Turned out to be Christian Colucci from the wrestling team and his family. They saw the R on my truck and were surprised that Rutgers people were in the area way out there. Had a nice conversation and they were a great family and RU reps.
Sounds like that might be the physically farthest place from Piscataway to meet RU folks while still being in the continental US. Pretty cool.

Sounds like that might be the physically farthest place from Piscataway to meet RU folks while still being in the continental US. Pretty cool.
That’s exactly what we said to ourselves! What were the odds of meeting up with RU people in what was quite remote…..what was the old catch phrase….Jersey Roots, Global Reach.

I met you in, I believe, 2006, the great year. Get together for drinks post work on a Friday that included the immortal RutgersAl in Manhattan. Game the next day.

I've mailed magnets to RU fans/alumni in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, the Philippines, Sweden, Switzerland, 2 different people in Australia & a RU grad living in Siberia, Russia.
Be on the lookout!

yup both Illinois games

I am SO looking forward to going to road games again. I gave it up when it became apparent that we had no chance to win (and I commend all of you who didn't care about that and went to road games anyway).

Last one I went to was @Washington and sitting there watching that game was a real crotch kicker because it was apparent that we were in for YEARS of pain.

Reactions: redking and RUnTeX
yup both Illinois games

I am SO looking forward to going to road games again. I gave it up when it became apparent that we had no chance to win (and I commend all of you who didn't care about that and went to road games anyway).

Last one I went to was @Washington and sitting there watching that game was a real crotch kicker because it was apparent that we were in for YEARS of pain.
I also traveled to Seattle for that one. I remember feeling hopeful that all the talk of nutrition, hydration, Kenny Parker’s OSU-style workout program, Mehringer’s boy-wonder offensive genius mind, etc would finally get us going. We moved the ball well on the first series IIRC. But from there, it became painfully obvious we had no chance to be competitive. And it just got worse from there.

That said, also played Chambers Bay on that trip, so all was not lost.

Jay, you, me Patrick were all in Chi-Town pre Illinois, as well as NYC pre home games during GS 1.0...fun stuff!
Indeed, Rob. And you and I in Morgantown for a couple WVU road games during that time ('06 and '08), including rutgersal for the first of those two.

The Ash debut in Seattle was definitely a harbinger of things to come. It was long over about midway though the 1st quarter. At least Husky Stadium and the UW campus were cool to visit.

Last edited:
yup both Illinois games

Was at that Game as well. Another kick in the arse that day was the obnoxious drunk UW fans sitting behind us in the RU fan section screaming all day.

yup both Illinois games

I gave up attending road games under Ash, too. Not only did we have no chance of winning, we had no chance of being competitive, so I figured why bother.

The only road Ash game I had planned on attending was the game at Kansas. I thought that one would be competitive. Also, I've attended baseball games at 31 different MLB stadiums. I've never been to Kaufmann Stadium in KC so I figured it would be a good time to cross it off my list. Unfortunately, there was a microburst in our area of Piscataway on the Thursday night/Friday morning before the game that poured five inches of rain in three hours. A good portion of my basement was under water. I had to cancel the trip to clean up my flooded cellar. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise considering how horrible RU played vs. Kansas.

I didn't bother attending the game at UW because I had just been in Seattle for the WSU game in 2014.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
I gave up attending road games under Ash, too. Not only did we have no chance of winning, we had no chance of being competitive, so I figured why bother.

The only road Ash game I had planned on attending was the game at Kansas. I thought that one would be competitive. Also, I've attended baseball games at 31 different MLB stadiums. I've never been to Kaufmann Stadium in KC so I figured it would be a good time to cross it off my list. Unfortunately, there was a microburst in our area of Piscataway on the Thursday night/Friday morning before the game that poured five inches of rain in three hours. A good portion of my basement was under water. I had to cancel the trip to clean up my flooded cellar. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise considering how horrible RU played vs. Kansas.

I didn't bother attending the game at UW because I had just been in Seattle for the WSU game in 2014.
I went to the WVU game in '06 with RutgersAl and RU in TX and a couple of other RU guys i knew from RU. Al and Jay (RU in TX) I met on the board. We had a GREAT time, bonded and then when I came back for RU games I'd stay in mid town Manhattan and that's how the NYC bar events happened with the 3 of us (Al, Jay and me) meeting up and inviting fellow Board members to join us....those were some good times.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Good times are back in Piscataway! I estimate we have 65 new players in the 18 months that Coach Schiano has been here. We are going to upset at least one team this year. Keep choppin’ !

Reactions: MrsScrew
SantaFe, do you make it to any Lobos or Aggies games ? I have heard New Mexico Basketball is a big deal out there.

SantaFe, do you make it to any Lobos or Aggies games ? I have heard New Mexico Basketball is a big deal out there.
I'm a UNM booster and fan as Santa Fe is 1 hour north of Albuquerque. Las Cruces (home of NM State) is 5 hours south. Hoops at UNM was big but their teams have sucked since Steve Alford left to take the UCLA job in 2013. They have one of the best facilities in the country with the PIT. Richard Petino Jr. was hired immediately after he got canned at Minny. So far he seems like he's recruiting well...we'll see how that translates into W's & L's. UNM has always been a hoops first school. Personally, I am a baseball guy and my dear friend, Lobos Hall of Fame Baseball Coach Ray Birmingham is retiring after this season so it will be interesting to see who replaces him. Football hired Danny Gonzalez as HC 1 year ago and he is the real deal and recruiting well for UNM, which is a tough sell as there is very little D1 football talent in this rural state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT