ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Hurley to Arizona State?

According to some of the geniuses on here, Hurley's are no good lol.

Actually, I'm one of those "geniuses" lol. And I've never said they're no good, I've said it's too early to hire them and they haven't done enough yet and I still stand by that. Nothing has changed for me in that regard.

I've said this before for football coaches as well. You act as if being hired is the goal and proof that someone was worth it. Ummm no. Being successful is the goal and only after they've been consistently successful at a location is it proof that it was the right decision. Coaches are hired all the time and guess what? Many of them get fired later on so being hired didn't actually mean anything.

If ASU hires them, they're taking a bigger risk than a guy with a longer track record IMO because Hurley doesn't have the record yet to say much about what he will do and how ready he is for the step up. He could work out but he could just as easily flop. Mind you between the 2 Hurleys, Bobby was the one, even with the shorter track record, that I've kind of felt would have the shot to be a better HC.

There are certain jobs that if aligned properly, can be a dangerous program and ASU is one of those locations.....Bobby has feasted on JUCO and transfers in to quickly build a mid-major at Buffalo, but ASU allows those same types of flexible admissions, so if he were to take a job, this and the potential money involved, can probably make this a good partnership.

On the other hand, it's an elite conference that typically is very tough to climb the standings in, unless you are extremely aggressive and can recruit. If he takes the job, I'd watch for not necessarily the talent he acquires, schools like St. Johns always have players.....can he actually coach against other elite and talented coaches....this isn't the MAC, it's the Pac 12.

I never said they weren't good coaches, just don't like their personalities. And they have never been good to Rutgers.

being an east coast guy at a west coast school with no ties to recruiting there isn't the best situation for Hurley or the school but give credit to ASU for pushing for this and taking a chance before another Power 5 school gets to him. It can be a risky move for both involved. ASU is a tough job, it will always play second fiddle in perception and talent and infrastructure to Arizona and its always going to play second fiddle to football there. However there is no reason they cant compete for NCAA bids from that league 3 out of every 4 years. Hurley would seem a bit green right now but the early bird gets the worm...too bad it cannot be RU. From a Hurley perspective can you really turn down a job that will likely pay $1.5 million a year.

I don't think the geography thing should be too much of an issue. I never get hung up on that too much when talking about hiring coaches. Sean Miller at Arizona is a Pitt guy right with a stop in between in the midwest. He's done fine out there. Book Richardson is on his staff too, another east coast guy. So I think Hurley would recruit decently there. ASU is a nice attraction with regards to weather and other "fringe benefits" so I think he'd be fine with a good recruiting staff.

It'll boil down to his coaching chops. I don't think the PAC12 is as strong as some of the other conferences but I do think it's underrated and not as bad as some think. ASU is a place with some potential to make noise if he's got the coaching chops to do it. I think Arizona is above the rest of the conference but then I think you have a mish mash of teams like UCLA/Utah/Oregon/Stanford and maybe an occasional Colorado or Washington that can have good years from time to time. ASU has as much potential as anyone in that "mish mash" to make some noise IMO.

Interesting coach for them since they are coming off a not great era with Sendek. Have to have a west coast staff especially with recruiting. Maybe current Assistant Stan Johnson can stay aboard and help with that or

Also I have heard that Jeff Capel left ASU at the alter as their first choice.

Other candidates involved are former ASU Assistant and now Assistant at Rice Scott Pera. He could also help with recruiting.
New Mexico Head Coach Marvin Menzies.
UC Irvine Head Coach Russell Turner
Former ASU Head Coach Frank Johnson
UTEP Head Coach Tim Floyd
Former St. John Coach Steve Lavin.

I could see Lavin in the running as he has West Coast ties.

At any rate, Hurley is on vacation in Aruba and ASU would like to get a coach signed by the end of the week.

Confirmed that Rice Assistant Scott Pera has been interviewed for the job.

Also now being mentioned are St Mary's HC Randy Bennett
Boise St. Head Coach Leon Rice
Georgia Head Coach Mark Fox
UCLA Assistant David Grace

This post was edited on 4/9 9:43 AM by RocktheRac

There was an article on CBS sports that said Capel took his name out of the running but with that stuff you never know. Did he really take his name out of the running or was it because ASU was going in a different direction that he did it.

while they tired of Sendek and he probably needed to go because of stagnation...the first thing that comes to mind is careful what you wish for. Long list of unimpressive candidates except for Lavin, Hurley and Bennett. That Capel was their first choice is sort of odd. Perhaps there are other things going on there that the college hoops world is more clued in on that would say that ASU is not that attractive of a job.

Obviously Hurley looks like the sexiest choice but I think Lavin would be a great great guy to go after as well and comes with much less risk

Arizona and Miller isn't a great example of geography. Arizona will always recruit well in the west, and even nationally.. It doesn't matter who the coach is. It's similarly viewed as UCLA in hoops out here and kids just want to go there.

If Hurley gets the job and starts landing the talent that Arizona otherwise would, I'd be impressed.

As I said weeks ago, it was a mistake to fire Sendak and Capel wore out his welcome at Oklahoma quite quickly. Always amused at stagnation and time for change like Sendak and Barnes. Then go out and hire coaches with even lesser success? How has Shaka Smart done last two years? Two losses in the first round? Last three years? Well he beat Akron? Barnes got fired for that? Do think Bob Hurley or Lavin could work although extremely underrated conference.

This post was edited on 4/9 10:15 AM by G- RUnit

My sources at ASU said that Capel just wanted to get his name out there and wanted to stay at Duke. His wife is also a Duke Associate Professor and was not thrilled about heading west. Was a more family decision.

Poor ASU. That should be a plum job but you have to think some of the name coaches are leery about that monster they built in Tucson.

Originally posted by Caliknight:
Arizona and Miller isn't a great example of geography. Arizona will always recruit well in the west, and even nationally.. It doesn't matter who the coach is. It's similarly viewed as UCLA in hoops out here and kids just want to go there.

If Hurley gets the job and starts landing the talent that Arizona otherwise would, I'd be impressed.
I wouldn't say he's going to pull in recruits that Arizona normally would, I'm just saying I think he'd recruit decently enough to perform there with a good staff.

Bruce Pearl worked in the midwest and I think was from the northeast and he did a nice job a Tenn. Now he's at Auburn. Ben Howland was a west coast guy and he did a nice job at Pitt. I think Jamie Dixon was too before he took over with Howland. Now Howland has gone to Miss. State and I think he'll do better than past coaches there but how much who knows. That's a tough place to win probably.

Point being if a guy can coach, then the guy likely can coach most places regardless of geography. Hiring good recruiters either local or national can help alleviate some of those concerns as well.

Originally posted by RocktheRac:
My sources at ASU said that Capel just wanted to get his name out there and wanted to stay at Duke. His wife is also a Duke Associate Professor and was not thrilled about heading west. Was a more family decision.
Wife being at Duke was mentioned as a reason Capel withdrew his name, but it was also mentioned by an Arizona
sportswriter that ASU's AD felt Capel was playing hard to get and wasn't about to beg him to accept the job.
When talking about Bobby Hurley being the top candidate , it was said he comes from Basketball royalty and talked up his father's HS coaching ability.

I think if he wants it, Bobby will be the next ASU HC and have the friendly towards ASU sports media talk up how good a hire he is.
One drawback to anyone taking the ASU MBB HC position is how the ASU basketball facilities need upgrading, but
ASU is supposedly planing to address that need and the friendly local media and AZ State Legislature will support ASU
when they present the plans for upgrade and look for funding from donors and State.

ASU plays second fiddle in Men's basketball to the UofA and doesn't have the fanbase the Wildcat basketball program has.
But it is a good job and the right HC will get far more support making the program better, from the ASU Administration , State
and local media. Then Rutgers could expect, but with the State of Arizona cutting down its funding to AZ Colleges, I don't expect the AZ Legislature to be generous funding ASU upgrading it's basketball facilities, just finding ways to make it easier for ASU to do it.

This post was edited on 4/9 11:15 AM by MADHAT1

During my time at ASU I think I went to 5 mens basketball games in the early 80's. There was not a draw and only NIT appearances. Football was king. Students just never got into it.

I now view Lavin as old school coming off a not so great run at SJU. Hurley is an up and coming HC and is a more exciting choice. He can probably relate better to younger players as well. If I'm ASU I roll the dice with Hurley. He adds excitement that the others are missing. Kudos to ASU if they hire him.

Originally posted by rutgersguy1:
Originally posted by Caliknight:

I wouldn't say he's going to pull in recruits that Arizona normally would, I'm just saying I think he'd recruit decently enough to perform there with a good staff.
Bruce Pearl worked in the midwest and I think was from the northeast and he did a nice job a Tenn. Now he's at Auburn. Ben Howland was a west coast guy and he did a nice job at Pitt. I think Jamie Dixon was too before he took over with Howland. Now Howland has gone to Miss. State and I think he'll do better than past coaches there but how much who knows. That's a tough place to win probably.
Point being if a guy can coach, then the guy likely can coach most places regardless of geography. Hiring good recruiters either local or national can help alleviate some of those concerns as well.
I would agree with that. Just saying Arizona isn't much different than the Kentuckys of the world. Virtually anyone could recruit there. It does it all by itself at this point.

ASU built a very nice 51,000 sq ft practice facility that opened in 2009....which is where the players spend 90% of their basketball "yearly" time.

Now their 10.754 seat Wells Fargo Arena (opened in 1974) is somewhat old/dated (RU can relate), as way too many seats are behind the basket in their "circular" coliseum like design, which was very popular on college campuses in the 1960's and early 70's.

arizona-state-university.jpg

That arena is fine and is not outdated at all. Real issue is luxury boxes and where to put them.

Originally posted by G- RUnit:
That arena is fine and is not outdated at all. Real issue is luxury boxes and where to put them.
According to many close to ASU's MBB program , Wells Fargo Arena is 40 years old and shows it.
The arena hasn't changed much in recent years, the locker room, which some schools use as a show-off piece in
recruiting, looks nearly the same as it did in
2006. The weight room has featured only minor improvements.

Once the football stadium ( $ 210 or 256 million price tag that's being put out as the cost ) renovations are finished in 2017, the ASU AD plans on upgrading or replacing Wells Fargo because it isn't modern enough to impress the recruits ASU wants to get.

Originally posted by higgins3:
Does that impact Freemans recruiting?
In my opinion , that isn't based on fact, but only my feelings on what will happen:
I think it might, but it's how quickly Hurley accepts and hits the recruiting ground running .
The longer Bobby and ASU take to agree, the harder it will be to get JC recruits like Freeman.
to commit to ASU (this year)

No doubt. Freemans schools records aren't that mind blowing. Still, a lot better than Rutgers. With bobby hurley taking his 2-3 star team far this year, that has to be an appeal.

While ASU's arena might look great to a RU fan...its old...especially compared to some other new or renovated arenas in the Pac 12 (USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, etc...), plus others like Arizona, which recently approved a $80 Millionrenovation project for their basketball home.

Being "fine" is now not good enough..as being "fine" usually means your arena doesn't have many high revenue producing seats (suites, clubs, loge, restaurants/bars, etc...).

Work_ASU2.jpg

wfa.jpg

I will always remember it as the Activities Center not Wells Fargo Arena.

It's hard to believe that it's been almost ten years since we went to the Insight Bowl, but based on my experiences on that trip, I have to think the ASU job has a ton of potential. There are plenty of worse places an east or west coast kid could spend his college years.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

While ASU's arena might look great to a RU fan...its old...especially compared to some other new or renovated arenas in the Pac 12 (USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, etc...), plus others like Arizona, which recently approved a $80 Millionrenovation project for their basketball home.

Being "fine" is now not good enough..as being "fine" usually means your arena doesn't have many high revenue producing seats (suites, clubs, loge, restaurants/bars, etc...).

ec

wfa.jpg
In the PAC 12 that's a darn good arena!

I thought DePaul was about as far west as I could see BH going. It will be interesting to see what the terms of his deal are.

anyone who thinks this is a slam dunk is jumping to huge conclusions

it seems to be official

this sucks some serious monkey balls given our situation, we might have been able to get him this year. Now seemingly the path of Bobby Hurley will never be coming our way. If he succeeds at ASU he will be scooped up by a more prominent power 5

It is strange that Bobby went from an assistant under Danny to beating him out for a Power 5 job. Danny needs to deliver at URI in the next two years or that star will fade...he could end up at RU after all.

Originally posted by bac2therac:

it seems to be official

this sucks some serious monkey balls given our situation, we might have been able to get him this year. Now seemingly the path of Bobby Hurley will never be coming our way. If he succeeds at ASU he will be scooped up by a more prominent power 5

It is strange that Bobby went from an assistant under Danny to beating him out for a Power 5 job. Danny needs to deliver at URI in the next two years or that star will fade...he could end up at RU after all.
Never a chance with Bobby, don't think he wouldn't have asked the same thing Danny did before RU hired Eddie.
If Danny becomes a falling star, it won't help him get the RU HCing position and if he did, this board would be knocking his hire and whining that Bobby is the Hurley Rutgers needs.
If Danny keeps winning at URI, Rutgers would be in the same shape they were in when he took his name out of the hat.
Which is not being able to meet his demands , especially with other p-5 programs looking at him.

Guess it's back to the original:RU should hire Bob Hurley Sr. , like it was being posted here years ago.
Accept two more years of Jordan and hope for the best.
Eddie had little to work with when he accepted a job that many might think of as a graveyard of coaches
with the lack of support and poor facilities RU has to offer candidates for the MBB HC position.
RU isn't going to hire a low level MBB program's assistant, nor will a high profile HC candidate accept RU without Rutgers agreeing to his terms .
Expect a name brand looking for employment after being out awhile, or RU to go after HCs froim programs like Robert Morris
and hope they strike gold.

If Lavin isn't a HC somewhere , expect him to be a front runner in the replace Jordan sweepstakes , if Eddie is let go after next season.
Danny if he fades at URI , won't be a factor in the replacement sweepstakes and if he continues his success there,will
be looking at better offers than RU can give him ( money, support and facility wise).

So forget about the Hurleys ever coaching at RU , lets start picking others for our wish list of please hire
wink.r191677.gif

At least his team will be playing far away from NJ and with a 3 hr time zone difference. Outa sight, late scores. Unless he makes a big early splash in a pretty tough conference, he'll be off the radar screen,for a while but not off this board-that's for sure.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:
I now view Lavin as old school coming off a not so great run at SJU. Hurley is an up and coming HC and is a more exciting choice. He can probably relate better to younger players as well. If I'm ASU I roll the dice with Hurley. He adds excitement that the others are missing. Kudos to ASU if they hire him.
+1

And if I had a nickel for every time the UCF guy puts a pic in one of his posts the Practice Facility would have been built already.

Much better hire than Jeff Capel. Lavin would have fit there nicely. Wonder if the east coast cache works there but think it is a good gamble/hire.

This post was edited on 4/13 12:41 PM by G- RUnit

Re: Both brothers will be successful

For no other reason than Rutgers is a cursed program and their success outside NJ only increases the 3 decade long pain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT