ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff’s Decision Date is Sunday - Alabama

Just some context on dates and NBA draft withdrawals.

Paul entered the NBA draft.
He never publicly announced his withdrawal.
Thursday June 2nd the NBA made public the players who withdrew. Paul announced on Friday June 3rd he was transferring.

RHJ (and Geo) both did a similar thing.
They entered the NBA draft. Didn't announce until the last possible minute that they were withdrawing. If they had stayed in the draft, we would have been screwed.
They didn't announce their return until July.
NBA is totally different than transferring. It is always understood that if a kid gets a favorable draft projection they should stay in the draft. And teams understand and expect that. Withdrawing from the draft and going to another college team is a completely different thing.

NBA is totally different than transferring. It is always understood that if a kid gets a favorable draft projection they should stay in the draft. And teams understand and expect that. Withdrawing from the draft and going to another college team is a completely different thing.

Agreed.
My only point was that Paul announced right after the NBA draft date.
If he had stayed in draft then Rutgers would have been in the same boat and losing a player very late.

Agreed on Cam. But after the NIT post game presser, did you seriously think Paul was coming back? After he handed out gift cards to all of the support staff before the last home game?

I could totally be wrong - but I thought it was kind of obvious Paul was unlikely to return.

I think he loves RU - as does Cliff.

And I think Pike did the right thing adjusting this year and asking players to make a decision within 2 weeks of the season ending.
That gesture was not viewed by me as a goodbye gesture. No more than a QB taking his O line out for dinner would be seen that way. All the talk was about how great a guy he is, his Gratitude Foundation, bla bla.

That gesture was not viewed by me as a goodbye gesture. No more than a QB taking his O line out for dinner would be seen that way. All the talk was about how great a guy he is, his Gratitude Foundation, bla bla.

To each their own, either way it went down, it’s long in the rear view.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Agreed.
My only point was that Paul announced right after the NBA draft date.
If he had stayed in draft then Rutgers would have been in the same boat and losing a player very late.
But the draft status of these players is pretty well known long before the deadline to withdraw. There is a lot of leadup to it. The decision to transfer came out of the blue.

Alabama needs their heads examined. Cliff is good but no where near 1.4 million good.
You must not pay attention to the NIL market. Centers have been commanding the most money by far for each of the last two years.

Has nothing to do with cliffs talent and more to do with the lack of centers available.

Case in point we have brought in wings and guards who may have been more productive on paper but there are 100 more like them whereas finding a center who can play good defense and average a double double is really difficult

But again this is an example of how I think we will miss Cliff more than people realize or care to admit

it seemed like you were saying fans can’t complain about mediocre recruiting if aren’t donating enough. My view is they can. It’s the coach’s job to grow the fanbase by winning, which then increases NIL, not the other way around. That’s why coaches get fired. No excuses.
Recruiting yes we can complain about that

I’m critiquing people criticizing who we get in the transfer portal because of lack of funds. That’s entirely different.

You’re a smart guy wouldn’t you agree that part of why we’re having trouble getting a transfer portal center is due to lack of $$$? My point is it’s unfair for a fan to complain about who we’re getting in the PORTAL if they don’t contribute to the main thing you need to succeed in the portal… which is $$$

Anybody complaining about how pike has recruited the HS landscape needs their head examined

Recruiting yes we can complain about that

I’m critiquing people criticizing who we get in the transfer portal because of lack of funds. That’s entirely different.

You’re a smart guy wouldn’t you agree that part of why we’re having trouble getting a transfer portal center is due to lack of $$$? My point is it’s unfair for a fan to complain about who we’re getting in the PORTAL if they don’t contribute to the main thing you need to succeed in the portal… which is $$$

Anybody complaining about how pike has recruited the HS landscape needs their head examined
I get your point but I don’t entirely agree. Did Pike overspend in the portal on reserves while he could have saved more for a talented 5 ?

And is Pike responsible for the crappy offense last year which kept us out of the tourney ? Winning grows NIL. Winning has to come first.

Had Bama and UConn not made the tourney and Final Four they wouldn’t have attracted so much NIL to rebuild with.

So it’s not as simple as ‘it’s the fans’ fault for not donating enough. I have no doubt that if the team won more, more would donate.

That’s how it goes, not the other way around. People get behind winners.

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I get your point but I don’t entirely agree. Did Pike overspend in the portal on reserves while he could have saved more for a talented 5 ?

And is Pike responsible for the crappy offense last year which kept us out of the tourney ? Winning grows NIL. Winning has to come first.

Had Bama and UConn not made the tourney and Final Four they wouldn’t have attracted so much NIL to rebuild with.

So it’s not as simple as ‘it’s the fans’ fault for not donating enough. I have no doubt that if the team won more, more would donate.

That’s how it goes, not the other way around. People get behind winners.

I’m not an expert on our NIL coffers but I would be willing to bet that even if we spent $0 on the other roster spots we wouldn’t have the 1+ million needed for a top tier center

And if we did have a million then we’d have 0 for the other roster spots

So again I agree with you but also disagree that it’s as simple as bench players vs a center

I’m not an expert on our NIL coffers but I would be willing to bet that even if we spent $0 on the other roster spots we wouldn’t have the 1+ million needed for a top tier center

So again I agree with you but also disagree that it’s as simple as bench players vs a center
Considering Pike had to replace 5 players he's off base. The one thing that has hampered Pike most years is bench depth. Only a few years ago, the starters played 30+ minutes and there was no production from the bench.

Having a full roster that can be utilized in multiple ways is more than a top tier center with the amount of NIL that RU has to play with.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I agree we shouldn’t be attacking people for how they spend their money because I’m sure some on here can’t afford to or have a fundamental issue with paying college athletes

But I’ll play devils advocate… are you OKAY with us not landing players that could lead us to another level or will you complain when we don’t have a big man that can fit what we need

We just can’t have it both ways as fans. If you’re against NIL and donating money to that end then it’s hard to listen to those same people critique who coach Pikiell or schiano for that matter bring in to produce a competitive product.
I’m not against NIL, I’m 100% for it. And I rarely complain about or critique the players or coaches. I did that some when I was younger, but not any longer. And that wouldn’t change no matter how much I donate.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
To me paying anyone 2 million without a contract is unstainable and dumb. I doubt the numbers being tossed about are as real or common as thought. And remember almost 40 % of those transferring don't even find a home. Things will change and anyway I'm supper excited about next year.

Reactions: RU84 and King of S
Nope. Spencer got offered a bag and took it, like most would. Mulcahy waited about a month after that and then left, screwing the team royally. And that after watching his play deteriorate during his final year here while Pike continued to play him well more than he deserved. I do agree that he screwed himself as he wasn’t ever starting at the end this year… but at least he got paid…I guess. If he had left before Cam, no one would have cared.
After telling Pike he was staying, Spencer abruptly leaves the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. That is effin late. Spencer totally blindsided Pike. Portal shooting guards are being taken left and right for two whole months before Spencer goes back on his word. The portal was already picked clean and Pike is handed the sh!t sandwich by Spencer causing Pike to scramble to try to replace his starting shooting guard and best scorer.

Spencer screwed Pike and Rutgers royally.

Last edited:
After telling Pike he was staying, Spencer abruptly leaves the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. That is effin late. Spencer totally blindsided Pike. Portal shooting guards are being taken left and right for two whole months before Spencer goes back on his word. The portal is picked clean and Pike is handed the sh!t sandwich by Spencer causing Pike to scramble to replace his starting shooting guard and best scorer.

Spencer screwed Pike and Rutgers royally.

^ ^^^ and THAT is why people bad mouth Cam for his transfer. NOT because he transferred “up”

Reactions: Scarlet83
There is not a player on the roster I wouldn't trade for Cliff next year.

That’s a difficult sentence to digest

. Not just the double negative but do you mean you wouldn’t trade someone from the past years’ roster or the current/ next year roster?

If the past roster I agree

but if the current roster are you saying you’d rather have Cliff than ace or dylan?

good points. we don’t know the payouts. it’s just my opinion NIL priority should be on the center more than three guys, two of whom won’t be starters. sure, we need bench players too but that’s where we should pinch pennies, especially we already have Lathan, Ogbole, Dortch, Grant and Davis in the fold. We do have a bench.

where I disagree is i think the three are making enough to affect what we can get. maybe not a million dollar center but someone who would have more impact and value

Last edited:

. Not just the double negative but do you mean you wouldn’t trade someone from the past years’ roster or the current/ next year roster?

but if the current roster are you saying you’d rather have Cliff than ace or dylan?
next time i will opt for a triple negative to really confuse.

I REALLY value a shot blocking 5 and what Cliff can do defensively.
I also am worried/skeptical of a college freshman being a star in the B1G. You have to go a long way back to show one.

My conviction is moderately high on both fronts, but going 2 for 2 my conviction is low. I really want a shot blocking 5 to be brought in. If we don't it will be very interesting what happens to our D. We may get insight on how valuable Cliff and Myles were.

Last edited:
But the draft status of these players is pretty well known long before the deadline to withdraw. There is a lot of leadup to it. The decision to transfer came out of the blue.
The answer is very simple. All of these kids desperately want to get to the NBA, and they all generally think they are better than they really are, and have a very difficult time accepting that they are not good enough to get drafted. They are all hoping a team will swoop in at the last minute to give them some hope they can get drafted.

Dang. I know I'm the ten billionth person to say this, but this is the season for Rutgers to go all out and grab a super-talented big at any costs (literally), or keep your veteran center around. I guess it's not as easy as it sounds.

I'm sure Coach Pikiell has a plan; he's a professional at this...

God forbid this kids actually get paid what they are worth. They’re professionals 100% and always have been.
go get paid used to mean leaving early for the pros which I was always fine with. If they want to move into a semi-pro or pro environment than I am fine with that too. Just stop the charade and we can just treat them as such. That's fine too but not everyone has to go along with it and continue to support it.

Yes, utilizing your talents to capitalize financially is a new concept in America. How dare we root for a guy that moved continents and sees his brother once every 4 years to be able to have security.
who's not rooting for the guy? Good for him. it is the concept/current environment I don't like not the player. However let's also not pretend Cliff hasn't been well treated during his college and time at Roselle C. We got plenty of people in the military that have skills and never see their wife and kids. They aren't "getting paid".

Reactions: redking
Dang. I know I'm the ten billionth person to say this, but this is the season for Rutgers to go all out and grab a super-talented big at any costs (literally), or keep your veteran center around. I guess it's not as easy as it sounds.

I'm sure Coach Pikiell has a plan; he's a professional at this...
It's not totally under his control -- someone on the outside has to be willing to sign the kid he wants to an NIL deal and Pikiell is not supposed to be playing a direct role in that.

I don’t know about you but I’m part of a 3rd generation of Rutgers graduates and while my family is filled with “higher level” thinkers we also do care greatly about the wins and losses of our Alma mater

And for the record my closest friend and my cousin attended SEC schools or were born and raised in the sec belt and their line of thinking and behavior isn’t as simple minded as you may believe

Seems pretty rude of you and ignorant to categorize the alabamas of the world as having a lesser line of thinking because why? Because they choose to invest their hard earned dollars back into their schools and we invest them elsewhere?

Michigan and ohio state are in the same league as us… their alums pony up the dough

UConn is arguably a smaller athletic department as a whole than us… their fan base does their part

You can’t generalize based on geography or a semi discriminatory line of thinking because the south is dirty and this and that.

I do my part, my family does its part… I wish we could afford players to help the university win but there’s only so many of us.
yeah I said bama's of the world so you can put OSU and UM and PSU in there. I mentioned them because that is where Cliff is going and I believe it was the reference.
My mention of higher level was in regards to "win at all cost". Not education, geography. But Mindset.

JFC, it's been reported on the premium side which you subscribe to that it was a mutual part of ways because Cliff was seeking to maximize his NIL and RU could not match anything he was being offered.
It was reported long ago on the premium side that his handler's were quoted that Cliff was going elsewhere as the season was coming to a close and Rutgers wasn't in consideration. He was going elsewhere. That was well before any NIL discussions or negotiation of late. It was reported on the premium side that Rutgers had all the NIL it needed. Is this some new news I missed that Cliff was willing to come back if Rutgers gave him x?

I agree that all the pundits were saying he's all but gone, but it also was discussed that earning money was the main driver not any dissatisfaction with Rutgers.
Wanting to go elsewhere and dis-satisfaction are not necessary the same. I wasn't suggesting he was dis-satisfied. I wouldn't know but didn't ever see or hear he was.

Wanting to go elsewhere and dis-satisfaction are not necessary the same. I wasn't suggesting he was dis-satisfied. I wouldn't know but didn't ever see or hear he was.
The point is moot. Everyone knew that RU wouldn't be able to match the 7 figure NIL. So RU was out of the picture right of the bat. IF RU had the ability to match the NIL then Cliff would have had to think about it and weigh loyalty (he was crying on senior night) vs. whatever else might be in his mind. But we'll never know because RU was never even in consideration or in the running due to NIL.

lol, yeah, I’m not trading away two sure fire lotto picks for Cliff. This is a decision you make with your head, not your heart.

Amount reported by Trilly Donovan.

Market for top tier centers is limited so the offers are sky high. When Cliff first entered the portal the expectation was offers near $1m. Clearly a bidding war broke out if two other schools offered $2m and $1.7m respectively.

Now if Alabama utilizes him appropriately Cliff can be a 15 & 10 guy. He didn't finish far from those numbers 2 years ago when Cam and Paul were running the offense and Bama's a much more high powered offense.

Exactly - there are some schools out there with nearly unlimited funds. We didn’t have $1M+ to pay him. Pike is a good guy. He wants what’s best for guys like Cliff so I’m sure he understood that he had to leave. As for taking $1.4 M over 2 M, he also needs to make sure he plays with guys who complement his skills. His first contract in Europe will be influenced by how he does next season so… it’s important.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
The point is moot. Everyone knew that RU wouldn't be able to match the 7 figure NIL. So RU was out of the picture right of the bat. IF RU had the ability to match the NIL then Cliff would have had to think about it and weigh loyalty (he was crying on senior night) vs. whatever else might be in his mind. But we'll never know because RU was never even in consideration or in the running due to NIL.
This. I don’t get why some folks just don’t understand. This doesn’t mean we have no NIL resources. Just not what the market calls for to pay one BIG man for a season over $1M. We probably could’ve come up with 500K but for Cliff that wasn’t going to be enough. Now, it’s a matter of spending wisely and it’s not even about budget resources only I’m sure Pike doesn’t want to overpay for a guy who isn’t necessarily going to be better than Somerville or Ogbole. That’s how resentments and bad chemistry develop. While we don’t get a report on what the NIL deals are I bet the details spread amongst the players.

Reactions: Eagleton96
lol, yeah, I’m not trading away two sure fire lotto picks for Cliff. This is a decision you make with your head, not your heart.

Well I don't think he meant both.
I took to mean Dylan/Clif or Ace/Clif over Ace/Dylan and no Clif

Potentially a upgrade at Center in exchange for a downgrade.
But we'd still have one superstar guard/wing.

It was reported long ago on the premium side that his handler's were quoted that Cliff was going elsewhere as the season was coming to a close and Rutgers wasn't in consideration. He was going elsewhere. That was well before any NIL discussions or negotiation of late. It was reported on the premium side that Rutgers had all the NIL it needed. Is this some new news I missed that Cliff was willing to come back if Rutgers gave him x?
What are you talking about. Cliff's NIL agent already had intel on what he could make elsewhere and RU was never in the ballpark with it's NIL pool. Richie's made that clear from the get go. And yes then it escalate above those original amounts since it was near $1m originally.

There is not a player on the roster I wouldn't trade for Cliff next year.
I would not trade either Dylan or Ace. Not a chance. They are the whole reason this season is going to be insanely exciting. Could be one for the ages.

It’s OK to get a little excited Greene.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT