ADVERTISEMENT

"Enjoy the build. Enjoy the process."

dpwhite

All Conference
Jan 21, 2003
I've seen Pikiell speak twice this year--once at his radio show and once at the first Court Club appearance. The thing he's said both times is "Enjoy the build." Yes, we all want to get to the promised land and yes, we all want to take huge steps forward this year. But remember where this team was just 2 short years ago before Pikiell was hired. This is a huge building project and though they haven't played tough competition, they are 4-0. This is another piece of the building block. Watch these kids develop. It won't always be smooth, but I do expect it to be fun.

Enjoy the build.

PIkiell seems to have an answer for every problem previous coaches have encountered. Recruiting, chemistry, defense. He knows what he's doing. He also knows it's going to take a lot of time.
The hardest problem to overcome is recruiting shooters which is one of the main reasons for successive losing seasons and decades without one NCAA bid.Except for a Douby,Coleman and recently Mack shooters have been rare playing for Rutgers.Pikiell understands the need and hopefully Kiss and Mathis will provide some consistent outside shooting.

Amen. The team is fun to watch again and the trajectory very much seems to be heading in the right direction.

Totally agree with him. It is something to be enjoyed. The good news is we actually see it with Pike.

Reactions: Goku
Pat Riley had a similar philosophy about building a strong franchise.

Reactions: Goku
PIkiell seems to have an answer for every problem previous coaches have encountered. Recruiting, chemistry, defense....

You forgot what should be the easiest problem to avoid... embarrassing yourself and the university with bizarre and/or over-the-line shenanigans.

PIkiell seems to have an answer for every problem previous coaches have encountered. Recruiting, chemistry, defense. He knows what he's doing. He also knows it's going to take a lot of time.

Reactions: Rhuarc and dpwhite
You forgot what should be the easiest problem to avoid... embarrassing yourself and the university with bizarre and/or over-the-line shenanigans.
He has his head on straight. Aside from waters, not a lot of that here since Wenzel.

He has his head on straight. Aside from waters, not a lot of that here since Wenzel.

Exactly. Both Bannon and Rice could have gotten the job done here if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. FHJ... not so much.

I think we've got a really good one this time.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Now THIS is exactly the type of attitude we should have. Jumping up and down because we're 6-0 is silly. Playing intense defense and not doing too many foolish things on the court while getting to 6-0 is cause for celebration.

Look, I still think actual success as it is usually defined is still probably a year away. But a winning record is within reach of this team this year, and if we look like we know what we're doing in the process, I'll be very satisfied.

I’m going to say it again, and some will still isagree, but the whole “it’s going to take 5 to 6 years thing” is bullshit. If you find the right coach, you don’t need top 10 recruiting classes every year, you can get to the promised land - even if it’s just for a single game - in 3-4.

I’m going to say it again, and some will still isagree, but the whole “it’s going to take 5 to 6 years thing” is bullshit. If you find the right coach, you don’t need top 10 recruiting classes every year, you can get to the promised land - even if it’s just for a single game - in 3-4.

its going to take possibly 5 years to dance...perhaps 4 if things shake right

its going to take possibly 5 years to dance...perhaps 4 if things shake right

Maybe, maybe not,we’ll see! My thing is always been, however, if other schools can go from the doldrums to the NCAA’s in two or three seasons, why not us? That argument never made sense to me that’s all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT