ADVERTISEMENT

Football Practice Facility and "Trapezoid of Terror" Update

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
"We are doing some final tweaks to the master plan,” Hobbs explained. “We expect that we will release that sometime in the fall. That will then be combined with fundraising efforts around that. What we have talked about publicly in the past is that we need an indoor practice facility for our football program. That is a missing ingredient for Greg.”

"In this new world of NIL, it is sort of less of a focus of young people in terms of decision-making. But that is an asset that we actually need for the program. It is long overdue; to replace the bubble or if we continue to use the bubble, we can repurpose that.”

“We need an upgrade, we need a renovation of Jersey Mike’s Arena,” Hobbs said. “We are at work. We have an RFP out for a feasibility study. We have actually done the interviews now with the architect so we’ll have an architectural firm getting granular on a renovation; what that would look like. For anybody who is reading this, we will preserve the wild, raucous environment, making sure it remains the Trapezoid of Terror.”

Honestly I think RU would be better off building a whole new basketball arena. I get it that the RAC is loud AF, But those elements that make the RAC loud can be built in a brand new facility that has all the perks of a new facility more bathrooms, premium seating, sky boxes, food and beverage facilities, etc.
The problem with a renovation as large as redoing the RAC is you have to take the facility out of service for upwards of a year to three years. Plus you will have many of the same issues that plague the RAC currently.
Loudness can be designed into a building just like it can be designed out of building. In the long run I believe a brand new modern facility will better serve Rutgers Basketball than a refurb of what is essentially a warehouse, as described by the architect who built it.

I think the most significant part of the statement is this-: "In this new world of NIL, it is sort of less of a focus of young people in terms of decision-making." That's something a lot of people have opined on here, but it's interesting to see it confirmed by our AD.

I hope all the people that complain "Money is ruining college sports. The schools with the richest fanbases get all the advantages" remember that when the "fundraising efforts" start.

Fans paying for college athletics has been the standard for decades.
The fans that pay more get the advantages. Same as always.

Honestly I think RU would be better off building a whole new basketball arena. I get it that the RAC is loud AF, But those elements that make the RAC loud can be built in a brand new facility that has all the perks of a new facility more bathrooms, premium seating, sky boxes, food and beverage facilities, etc.
The problem with a renovation as large as redoing the RAC is you have to take the facility out of service for upwards of a year to three years. Plus you will have many of the same issues that plague the RAC currently.
Loudness can be designed into a building just like it can be designed out of building. In the long run I believe a brand new modern facility will better serve Rutgers Basketball than a refurb of what is essentially a warehouse, as described by the architect who built it.
Indiana never left Assembly Hall.

Reactions: Leonard23
Couldn't disagree more.

Couldn't disagree more.
Agreed, I'm not aware of one example where the new arena or stadium was louder or at least as loud. It always seems like there's less energy when they replace with a new building. I would be curious to see if there were examples where it got louder in the new building.

Reactions: robcac26 and TRU2RU
Theoretically we could have acoustic engineers conduct a study to determine what specific elements make JMA so loud to begin with. My sense of it has always been, 1) The shape, i.e. the sloping roof reflects sound back toward the court and 2) the roof, which is unmasked metal and certainly resonates a broader range of frequencies.

But I don't think we need a new building. I think we keep the existing structure the way it is and add on to the concourses via expansion, i.e. build out additional structure to improve the entry & concession area in front and allow additional passageway, concession areas and bathrooms on the two sides - but leave the interior pretty much the way it is.

It depends on what the goal is, I guess. If you are concerned that the arena is perceived as "rinky-dink" and feel like it's holding the program back, or if you want to get the attendance up to that of "big-time" programs, or if you think the fan experience is lacking, sure, got to renovate or replace.

Otherwise, if you perceive some kind of home court advantage as is, don't mess with it...

I think the most significant part of the statement is this-: "In this new world of NIL, it is sort of less of a focus of young people in terms of decision-making." That's something a lot of people have opined on here, but it's interesting to see it confirmed by our AD.

Just take the renovation and build money and launder it through the NIL folks directly to the "student athletes" Rutgers wants to recruit. Sounds like the AD might be on board.

Agreed, I'm not aware of one example where the new arena or stadium was louder or at least as loud. It always seems like there's less energy when they replace with a new building. I would be curious to see if there were examples where it got louder in the new building.
Couldn't disagree more.
Did you guys miss the part where I said Loudness can be designed into a building? Its not like the RAC has this huge wonderful history where Rutgers won national championships there.

The Current RAC was built during an era where the school was not committed to the revenue sports program model and really is the equivalent of a warehouse. Aesthetically, it is a horrendous looking building and the interior of it is just crappy design because it was built cheaply. I get it, its loud AF inside on game night but loudness can be designed into the building by having lots of hard surfaces inside.
IMHO, The best route to go is to build a whole brand new building with more seats, bathrooms, food venues, premium seating, skyboxes, etc. I think it would be built for the next 50 years instead of refurbing a building that is little more than a warehouse with a basketball court inside.

Reactions: Fat Koko
Did you guys miss the part where I said Loudness can be designed into a building? Its not like the RAC has this huge wonderful history where Rutgers won national championships there.

The Current RAC was built during an era where the school was not committed to the revenue sports program model and really is the equivalent of a warehouse. Aesthetically, it is a horrendous looking building and the interior of it is just crappy design because it was built cheaply. I get it, its loud AF inside on game night but loudness can be designed into the building by having lots of hard surfaces inside.
IMHO, The best route to go is to build a whole brand new building with more seats, bathrooms, food venues, premium seating, skyboxes, etc. I think it would be built for the next 50 years instead of refurbing a building that is little more than a warehouse with a basketball court inside.

And of course you'll be making a large contribution to this building fund, right?

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think Pitt's "new" arena back in the day created a more exciting atmosphere for them. They put student standing room on the sidelines and teh seated mid-court crowd behind them.. on one side at least.

And of course you'll be making a large contribution to this building fund, right?
I do my part. So yes I will support Rutgers Athletics with what my budget affords. BTW a Refurb of a crappy building design will be more expensive in the long run than bulldozing the RAC and Building a much better designed Facility.

They dont have to it seats close to 18k. We are in a HS gym.
The work they did is very similar (not exact but close) to what seems to be planned here.

Which is hopefully the reason we don’t have to leave either.

I was all for keeping & expanding the RAC not to the tune of adding 300 seats and premium lounge which does not benefit bringing in new fans just moving around the existing fanbase.
The arena should be NO LESS than 10K

I was all for keeping & expanding the RAC not to the tune of adding 300 seats and premium lounge which does not benefit bringing in new fans just moving around the existing fanbase.
+1

Last edited:
Though I'm sure when Greg now brings recruits to games they will be in premium lounge and not leaving students out of the game to accommodate
Which is fine and if allowed where they should be…wined and dined for the “show” to follow.

Reactions: greenknight
They dont have to it seats close to 18k. We are in a HS gym.
I hear what you’re saying, but in some ways it’s an advantage to have a small place packed with fans. It creates a great image on TV.

Sometimes I see posts here ridiculing “low attendance” at Maryland basketball games, and think to myself that there are still more people there than in RAC sellouts. The image matters.

I totally agree with growing the max capacity!

We are now in a league were even in subpar years, we could fill the RAC with 10K fans!

10K capacity should be the minimum! If you can’t get an additional 2000 seats in the building, and you should do what nearly every other team has done and build a larger arena!

We are now in a league were even in subpar years, we could fill the RAC with 10K fans!

I take it you don't go to all the basketball games.

There have, in the last 2 years, been "true sellouts" where nearly every seat has filled. There have been just as many "declared sellouts", where (presumably) all the tickets are gone but there are many empty seats. IMO that's due to resale tickets, i.e. Stubhub, not getting picked up but still counting as sold from RU's perspective. Then there are the games, probably 4 or 5 per season, which aren't listed as sellouts and there are a couple thousand empty seats.

So, yeah, I get what you're saying and you're not wrong in theory - just that the word "could" is doing a LOT of work in that sentence.

There have, in the last 2 years, been "true sellouts" where nearly every seat has filled. There have been just as many "declared sellouts", where (presumably) all the tickets are gone but there are many empty seats. IMO that's due to resale tickets, i.e. Stubhub, not getting picked up but still counting as sold from RU's perspective. Then there are the games, probably 4 or 5 per season, which aren't listed as sellouts and there are a couple thousand empty seats.
So, yeah, I get what you're saying and you're not wrong in theory - just that the word "could" is doing a LOT of work in that sentence.
jist want to worship you for awesome wordcraft after the hyphen in your last sentence.

Love it…

ETA: sorry for weird format. I’m on beach and can’t see screen too well

jist want to worship you for awesome wordcraft after the hyphen in your last sentence.

Love it…

ETA: sorry for weird format. I’m on beach and can’t see screen too well
Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

All of you suggesting a new arena should be tarred and feathered.
'Hey look, we have an arena that's unique and is nationally-known for being very difficult for opponents to play in; let's knock it down and build another arena for hundreds of millions of dollars when money is already tight and inflation is still rampant.'

Joe P.

Reactions: RUskoolie
All of you suggesting a new arena should be tarred and feathered.

'Hey look, we have an arena that's unique and is nationally-known for being very difficult for opponents to play in; let's knock it down and build another arena for hundreds of millions of dollars when money is already tight and inflation is still rampant.'

Joe P.
Agree with you both but…

Duke has been playing in 9K capacity Cameron since 1940. It (along with a Coach K) helped them win 5 Final Fours and 16 Final Four appearances. I vote for a JMA refurb.

How about we really get to that 9K number in this rehab than what we have now.

‘cause it ain’t 9K. @Richard Schnyderite gave us the real number earlier in the thread.

Reactions: Armor and Sword
Brand new hockey/basketball arena nearby with 12K seats for hoops might make sense. Play some games in each arena…and a BIG hockey program also becomes a thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT