ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: RHoops vs. Minnesota

When everything a kid throws up even with a hand in his face (often from NBA distance) goes in, it’s not the defense’s fault.
If I wanted to hear frustrated men spout nonsense, I’d watch sports in a bar with morons. I don’t know anymore why I expect better here.

Agree Willis had a career game, he was contested all game. But we couldn't score. This game was winnable and we let this one get away. If this team can't shoot from outside, maybe we need to drive to the basket more. Our guards have a size advantage against most teams. This one hurts

Yes, but the defensive player has already started his feet on either side of Harper. Any contact any he was going down. If this were us, that'd be a cylinder violation.
Remember Iowa. Sometimes you do not the call. It could have gone either way. I agree that he was still sliding but he did go with shoulder due to dribbling.

Your playing a half dead team and that's how you play that is awful especially when you are playing for your post season life. You got 3 guys playing 40 minutes they should have run them up and down the court.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Very unclear to me how this disputes anything I’m saying.

Willis had a great night, Baker had a great night. The rest of our team did not play well and were matched by a fully depleted Minnesota backup squad.

We didn't play especially well - if Baker and Willis had both shot their season averages, we'd have still lost.

Some of you are blaming Ron for the offensive foul? Laugh my ass off. Yes, Ron leans in too much like that, but I watched it over again and that kid FLOPPED. Still, Ron was off all game and I don't understand why Pike went to him there. Willis and Loewe shot lights out that they probably will never do the rest of the year. Kudos to Minny for gutting out a great win.

Oh, and if Omoryi thinks he's ready for the NBA, think again. He has absolutely no touch or feel around the basket. He continues to miss bunnies and shoots his hook shot like a linedrive. He needs to learn how to arc the ball and put touch on it.

This loss stings. We were in the position to win at the end after the great onslaught shooting by those two Minny guards. We won by a controversial call against Iowa and now we lost similarly in this game.

Reactions: BillyC80
Minnesota got 0 points from its bench. So much for our defense wearing them down. The full court pressing I wanted would have made the difference if used.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Just complete idiocy. For someone with like 7 million posts on a basketball board, does it not concern you that I could look up the score and predict your analysis with near 100% accuracy?

just didn’t bring the brain waves today to deflect that guy’s three pointers away from the hoop

we didnt play well today

Willis had a great night, Baker had a great night. The rest of our team did not play well, offensively or defensively, and were matched by a fully depleted Minnesota backup squad.

We didn't play especially well - if Baker and Willis had both shot their season averages, we'd have still lost.
The rest of our team played fine defensively. Willis hit a bunch of contested shit and Baker was wide open a million times. Did baker shoot better on those shots than he would average in general? Yes, but not by even close to the degree that Willis did.

And even ignoring that, as you stated the rest of our team actually beat the rest of their team. So you are 0 for 2 here imo.

Reactions: Scangg and RU MAN
Reviewing it again, yeah - just dumb play by Harper. Still, Reiber took a hit in the same exact spot on the floor and it's a flop call.
Different plays

the minny player didn’t throw his shoulder into Reiber. However there was enough contact to make the flop call absurd. Should have just been a no call (and non flop warning)

in contrast Harper DID lower his shoulder.

Some of you are blaming Ron for the offensive foul? Laugh my ass off. Yes, Ron leans in too much like that, but I watched it over again and that kid FLOPPED. Still, Ron was off all game and I don't understand why Pike went to him there. Willis and Loewe shot lights out that they probably will never do the rest of the year. Kudos to Minny for gutting out a great win.

Oh, and if Omoryi thinks he's ready for the NBA, think again. He has absolutely no touch or feel around the basket. He continues to miss bunnies and shoots his hook shot like a linedrive. He needs to learn how to arc the ball and put touch on it.

This loss stings. We were in the position to win at the end after the great onslaught shooting by those two Minny guards. We won by a controversial call against Iowa and now we lost similarly in this game.
Meh that was a foul, fine to blame him for it, but it’s just one play in a long game.

I know it’s easy to say now and I also knew we had no balls to do it but I thought what a great time did a inbounds play that takes 4 seconds to develop, a lot of movement and the number one read being Cliff or Reiber under the basket going they get lost by MINN who would never expect it. Worst case throw it into backcourt to either Geo or Harper and give them 6 seconds to create a shot. That’s generally our play anyway

When you lead with your shoulder with your head down when driving as RHJ did a foul will be called 9 out of 10 times funny or not.

Reactions: Scangg and G- RUnit
When you lead with your shoulder with your head down when driving as RHJ did a foul will be called 9 out of 10 times funny or not.
Yes and no. With 4 seconds at that point in the game, you DON'T call that. But as I wrote in my post, we got a favorable call at the end of the Iowa game and Minny got the call here. The Minny defender flopped. Go watch it again. Still, I don't know why Harper got the ball there anyway. He was off all game.

Take Willis out of the game, and the rest of their team shot 15/31 FG (.484) and 5/11 3P (.455).
Your point is that they we shooting out of their minds as well? Still supporting my argument my man. You have to actually look at the shots they took, not just give me percentages and on a sample size of 31 and imply that I should somehow conclude you’ve proven bad defense.

Yeah he lowered his shoulder but minny defender sold it by flopping. Maybe not as bad as the call against Iowa but hate to see games decided by whistles in final second. Shitty call by Pike to not inbound to Geo
Harper lowered the shoulder. Good call.

Reactions: RU MAN
The rest of our team played fine defensively. Willis hit a bunch of contested shit and Baker was wide open a million times. Did baker shoot better on those shots than he would average in general? Yes, but not by even close to the degree that Willis did.

And even ignoring that, as you stated the rest of our team actually beat the rest of their team. So you are 0 for 2 here imo.

LOL.... yes, 4 starters beat 1 starter and backups by 2 points. That's a "win".... lol

Our 4 starters should have taken Loewe and their backups to the woodshed. But they didn't.

Insanity.

We didn't play well. Full stop.

Reactions: bac2therac
Yeah he lowered his shoulder but minny defender sold it by flopping. Maybe not as bad as the call against Iowa but hate to see games decided by whistles in final second. Shitty call by Pike to not inbound to Geo

call was fine. Harper was ISO’s 16 feet from the basket

LOL.... yes, 4 starters beat 1 starter and backups by 2 points. That's a "win".... lol

Our 4 starters should have taken Loewe and their backups to the woodshed. But they didn't.

Insanity.

We didn't play well. Full stop.
Yes, when you score more points than the other team that is in fact a win. That’s how the game works. But this is also not in any way a valid way to look at a game so it’s completely irrelevant.

You got 3 guys playing 40 minutes they should have run them up and down the court.
agree. I’m a pike fan. But he got out coached BADLY all game

wr played right into their hands.

We never ran, never pressed, never pushed it into the paint, never tried to get fouls - ie we never did the things that EVERY team does against a VERY short handed team

instead we were content to pass the ball around the perimeter, run down the shot clock and take 3s.

EXACTLY what Minnesota needed!!!

thus, due to that (insanely stupid) approach we allowed the game to come down to: Minnesota made shots and we didn’t

our approach ELIMINATED our advantage

it should NEVER have come down to which team can make shots

We can breakdown what happened all day. They put the ball in the hoop, we didn’t.

Wide open missed 3s, missed layups..

Basketball is a simple game. Put ball in hoop. They did. That’s the difference.

Reactions: RU Mike73
agree. I’m a pike fan. But he got out coached BADLY all game

wr played right into their hands.

We never ran, never pressed, never pushed it into the paint, never tried to get fouls - ie we never did the things that EVERY team does against a VERY short handed team

instead we were content to pass the ball around the perimeter, run down the shot clock and take 3s. EXACTLY what Minnesota needed!!!

thus due to that (stupid) approach we allowed the game to come down to: Minnesota made shots and we didn’t
Agree on the pressing. Should have made them work the whole floor and subbed liberally.

Your point is that they we shooting out of their minds as well? Still supporting my argument my man. You have to actually look at the shots they took, not just give me percentages and on a sample size of 31 and imply that I should somehow conclude you’ve proven bad defense.

Dude, I watched the whole game. Helping off defenders and giving them looks, going under screens and giving them looks, giving Willis a cushion to stop penetration, not getting key rebounds, missing chippies, missing wide open shots, making silly passes, settling for bad shots against their zone.... we didn't play well enough to win. Our defense was a bit ahead of our offense, but neither were especially locked in.

Yes, Willis made some unconscious shots - but the game shouldn't have been close enough for that to have mattered. We were an A squad playing a B squad, and a handful of "omg" shots shouldn't have mattered.

Simple answer - we didn't play well enough to win. Willis and the Chipmunks stole our lunch money.

Reactions: bac2therac
Dude, I watched the whole game. Helping off defenders and giving them looks, going under screens and giving them looks, giving Willis a cushion to stop penetration, missing chippies, missing wide open shots, making silly passes, settling for bad shots against their zone.... we didn't play well enough to win. Our defense was a bit ahead of our offense, but neither were especially locked in.

Yes, Willis made some unconscious shots - but the game shouldn't have been close enough for that to have mattered. We were an A squad playing a B squad, and a handful of "omg" shots shouldn't have mattered.

Simple answer - we didn't play well enough to win. Willis and the Chipmunks stole our lunch money.
You contradict yourself. If we would’ve won but for the Willis shooting circus, then we played well enough to win under normal circumstances. You can argue that we should have played well enough to win EVEN DESPITE getting extremely unlucky with Willis, but that’s a different argument.

Reactions: mikemarc1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT