ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: RHoops vs. Minnesota

You contradict yourself. If we would’ve won but for the Willis shooting circus, then we played well enough to win under normal circumstances. You can argue that we should have played well enough to win EVEN DESPITE getting extremely unlucky with Willis, but that’s a different argument.

this is the same nonsense you were saying after losing to umass and de paul, oh the other team just was a shooting circus...3 bad losses to bad teams..stop excusing it, they all happened because the team and staff decided to not lock in today

Reactions: RUChoppin
this is the same nonsense you were saying after losing to umass and de paul, oh the other team just was a shooting circus...3 bad losses to bad teams..stop excusing it, they all happened because the team and staff decided to not lock in today
DePaul didn't shoot lights out from three, not sure what you're talking about there.

I'm sure I said the same thing about UMass because the same thing is true. If a team shoots 16/32 from three it's going to be a lot more difficult to beat them than usual. It doesn't become any less true just because it happens more than one time.

because we allowed that to happen, we created a tone in the game that let these teams gain confidence in their shots...even Umass up double digits, our defense was not good and it was not up to snuff today, Minny ran their stuff to perfection, credit them but we let them do it and Willis had a game just like Harper had his games

Shocker another official makes it about himself instead of letting the kids play. Two games in a row there was a horrendous call that decides the game.
Was an easy call to make. Dumb play by Harper.
There was enough time to go toward the middle of the paint.
Then turn toward the basket and contact would result in a foul on them.
Cannot try to go through the D player.

because we allowed that to happen, we created a tone in the game that let these teams gain confidence in their shots...even Umass up double digits, our defense was not good and it was not up to snuff today, Minny ran their stuff to perfection, credit them but we let them do it and Willis had a game just like Harper had his games
You want to pretend that we somehow have absolute control over how well a team shoots from three. 3p% defense is basically not a thing, it's like 90% luck.

Reactions: Scangg
That was an awful loss

Zero intensity. You gave to show up for every game. Just an awful loss
Easy to see if Ron is into the game.
He scores down low and he rebounds.
When he just hangs out above the three point line...ut oh!

Was an easy call to make. Dumb play by Harper.
There was enough time to go toward the middle of the paint.
Then turn toward the basket and contact would result in a foul on them.
Cannot try to go through the D player.
This. The defender had help with the baseline. Two way go at the top would’ve drawn the foul or get a good look.

With 4 seconds at that point in the game, you DON'T call that.
Bull. It should be called the same in the last minute as it is called in the first, or the tenth, or the thirtieth. Don't blame the ref. Looked like the right call.

Reactions: fluoxetine
actually I don’t think my points take away from Minnesota . They played great - particularly those 2 guys (who each played out of their minds and each had career games). They deserve props

but pikes game plan did NOTHING to prevent that from happening (particularly making them play harder on both offense and defense by attacking on offense and pressing at least a little!!!) on defense

so certainly kudos to them but pikes game plan (or lack thereof) created the stage for them to have the games they did
I am saying you might be right as I would have pressed them and try to tire them out to make it hard on offense and defense but I can see Pike thinking that our defense would eventually show up or that Minnesota would not execute perfectly on the offensive end and he gambled and lost. I agree his plan or gamble as it played out allowed those 2 guards to perfectly execute and make shots with the shot clock running down all day. I wonder if the effort a few nights ago against Iowa , Pike knew his team did not have legs to press and that is why it was not done.

What does “get inside” mean to us when Cliff is in the game?
Once the ball is in his hands anywhere but in dunking distance, I’d say our chances of scoring are very low via some kind of low post jump hook attempt or a functional pass by him
Going inside doesn't have to be to Cliff. Harper Paul... we sometimes have pretty good size mismatches at other positions

I am saying you might be right as I would have pressed them and try to tire them out to make it hard on offense and defense but I can see Pike thinking that our defense would eventually show up or that Minnesota would not execute perfectly on the offensive end and he gambled and lost. I agree his plan or gamble as it played out allowed those 2 guards to perfectly execute and make shots with the shot clock running down all day. I wonder if the effort a few nights ago against Iowa , Pike knew his team did not have legs to press and that is why it was not done.

solid points. I too thought during the game that maybe pike thought Minny couldn’t keep that up so just “stay the course”

but why not TRY to push / press at least just a little?!? It could have taken them out of their rhythm/ tired them just enough that they could have missed a few down the stretch. I’m sorry but for those reasons a smarter coach would have thrown some tempo at Minny from time to time

just staying the course and not putting some pressure on Minny (at EITHER end) at ANY point in the game sure but Pike in the ass = utterly outcoached.

Last edited:
Bull. It should be called the same in the last minute as it is called in the first, or the tenth, or the thirtieth. Don't blame the ref. Looked like the right call.
You're right, but as we know that is not always the case. Regardless, Harper should know better in that situation.

it should never have down to that

we never did the things that EVERY team does when the other team is so short handed - never pushed it into the paint, never pushed the ball, never pressed, never tried to get them in foul trouble, etc

instead OUR approach allowed to come down to who shot better

it should NEVER have come down to that
This is about coaching....correct.

I didn't see the whole game... Did our defenders try to deny Willis the ball to try to minimize his impact?

And again, inconsistent shooting hurt. Missing 10 of our last 12 shots of the game and losing a chance to take a potential game winning shot because of the offensive foul made it pretty hard to win a close game, regardless of our defense. Bummer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT