ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: RHoops vs. Minnesota

We lost because Minnesota put on a lights out 3 point shooting exhibition.

it should never have down to that

we never did the things that EVERY team does when the other team is so short handed - never pushed it into the paint, never pushed the ball, never pressed, never tried to get them in foul trouble, etc

instead OUR approach allowed to come down to who shot better

it should NEVER have come down to that

Reactions: SantaFeScarlet
You contradict yourself. If we would’ve won but for the Willis shooting circus, then we played well enough to win under normal circumstances. You can argue that we should have played well enough to win EVEN DESPITE getting extremely unlucky with Willis, but that’s a different argument.

You're being obtuse. This wasn't a the "single factor" game you want to make it out to be.

Reactions: bac2therac

we never did the things that EVERY team does when the other team is so short handed - never pushed it into the paint, never pushed the ball, never pressed, never tried to get them in foul trouble, etc

Honestly a bit skeptical that the proper strategy, for a team that doesn’t press that much and doesn’t play at a high tempo, is to play a completely different game just because the opponent only has 7 players available.

Honestly a bit skeptical that the proper strategy, for a team that doesn’t press that much and doesn’t play at a high tempo, is to play a completely different game just because the opponent only has 7 players available.

not a bad point but they never tried ANY of that all game long at all. Sorry - that’s just stupid

not a bad point but they never tried ANY of that all game long at all. Sorry - that’s just stupid
I see what you’re saying but the game was close the whole time. Pike had a game plan going in, nothing ever happened that would’ve made him think he needed to deviate from it.

No game is ever a single factor. No one is arguing that.

Yeah - the other factors are "we didn't play especially well"

This game wasn't lost because of Willis having a monster night, because Baker nearly matched him. This game was lost because the other 7 Rutgers players (all primary rotation guys who average 53.0 ppg) couldn't beat the other 6 Minnesota players (1 starter and a handful of backups, who average 18.1 ppg) by more than a paltry 2 points.

Reactions: Kbee3
Minnesota is 138 in 3 point shooting in the nation. This game was a bit of a fluke but imo we blew it by not pressuring the ball.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
I see what you’re saying but the game was close the whole time. Pike had a game plan going in, nothing ever happened that would’ve made him think he needed to deviate from it.
Totally disagree .

the game plan was stupid. Minny should never have been in this game.

pike should have tried (at least some of) the things I mentioned to break the game open/ up the intensity (press, push into paint, push tempo, try to get fouls on them).

he never did - he allowed Minny to control the game plan!!!

his “game plan” played right into their hands - ie never took advantage of the fact that they were short handed

that is really really dumb

and I’m really a pike fan. But today’s approach was unfathomably dumb

we didn’t blow anything. Minny kid was unconcious and we missed chippies. Game plan was fine.
Teams get hot and cold shooting. That's the nature of the game. But what separates the top teams is the inside presence. Illinois has Kofi. Cliff is only a sophomore and will get better with time. But the inability to hit those layups is a major liability. That was a big factor in todays loss.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Yeah - the other factors are "we didn't play especially well"

This game wasn't lost because of Willis having a monster night, because Baker nearly matched him. This game was lost because the other 7 Rutgers players (all primary rotation guys who average 53.0 ppg) couldn't beat the other 6 Minnesota players (1 starter and a handful of backups, who average 18.1 ppg) by more than a paltry 2 points.
That’s not how anything works, games are not played 4 on 4, and you’ve completely ignored that indisputable fact that Willis was much further above his expected points on the shots he took than Baker was.

What was it? Wait for Geo to get hot. What was the game plan for the first 10 min?

Im not a basketbsll coach, so I don’t know much about game plans. but the gameplan for the first 10 minutes was likely the same as the last 30.

To imply there was no gameplan is silly.

agree. I’m a pike fan. But he got out coached BADLY all game

wr played right into their hands.

We never ran, never pressed, never pushed it into the paint, never tried to get fouls - ie we never did the things that EVERY team does against a VERY short handed team

instead we were content to pass the ball around the perimeter, run down the shot clock and take 3s.

EXACTLY what Minnesota needed!!!

thus, due to that (insanely stupid) approach we allowed the game to come down to: Minnesota made shots and we didn’t

our approach ELIMINATED our advantage

it should NEVER have come down to which team can make shots
You are mostly correct as the failure to press allowed Willis and Loewe

You are making valid points but you fail to give the other team especially Willis and Loewe credit as they combined for 51-68 points and shot 11-17 and 8-14. Most were with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock. Pike gambled that 2 guys playing 40 minutes each would not continue to hit shots . Whereas I would have pressed them to tire them out and have them lose their legs but his strategy did not anticipate that they would execute their half court possessions almost perfectly all day. Maybe he thought his defense was finally going to show up like he has seen it before. Minnesota threaded the needle today which makes Pike ‘s game plan questioned but he doubted they would play as perfectly as they did.

Yeah a tough costly loss but sometimes you have to give the other team some credit.

Im not a basketbsll coach, so I don’t know much about game plans. but the gameplan for the first 10 minutes was likely the same as the last 30.

To imply there was no gameplan is silly.
Obviously I was joking about the game plan. But the punchline here is that game plan sucked. It might be better to admit we had no game plan. Super surprised Pike didn’t work in Palmquist today. LOL

agree. I’m a pike fan. But he got out coached BADLY all game

wr played right into their hands.

We never ran, never pressed, never pushed it into the paint, never tried to get fouls - ie we never did the things that EVERY team does against a VERY short handed team

instead we were content to pass the ball around the perimeter, run down the shot clock and take 3s.

EXACTLY what Minnesota needed!!!

thus, due to that (insanely stupid) approach we allowed the game to come down to: Minnesota made shots and we didn’t

our approach ELIMINATED our advantage

it should NEVER have come down to which team can make shots
100% correct

Reactions: greenknight
It’s like Matt Painter said, you have to be 10 points better on the road…so that the game is not decided by a last play or a ref’s call.
There is no reason that we could not be 10 points better today.

If we mixed the teams players for a pickup-up game, probably 7 of the first 8 players picked today would be from Rutgers.

Willis had a great night, Baker had a great night. The rest of our team did not play well and were matched by a fully depleted Minnesota backup squad.

We didn't play especially well - if Baker and Willis had both shot their season averages, we'd have still lost.
I thought Reiber played pretty solid

Reactions: Scangg
That’s not how anything works, games are not played 4 on 4, and you’ve completely ignored that indisputable fact that Willis was much further above his expected points on the shots he took than Baker was.

Willis scored 14.5 more points than his average. Baker scored 14.1 more points than his average.

The rest of our team stepped on a rake offensively, and allowed Loewe/Thompson to go off for 29.

Reactions: Kbee3
It’s like Matt Painter said, you have to be 10 points better on the road…so that the game is not decided by a last play or a ref’s call.
There is no reason that we could not be 10 points better today.

If we mixed the teams players for a pickup-up game, probably 7 of the first 8 players picked today would be from Rutgers.
Harper 100% charge

You are mostly correct as the failure to press allowed Willis and Loewe

You are making valid points but you fail to give the other team especially Willis and Loewe credit as they combined for 51-68 points and shot 11-17 and 8-14. Most were with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock. Pike gambled that 2 guys playing 40 minutes each would not continue to hit shots . Whereas I would have pressed them to tire them out and have them lose their legs but his strategy did not anticipate that they would execute their half court possessions almost perfectly all day. Maybe he thought his defense was finally going to show up like he has seen it before. Minnesota threaded the needle today which makes Pike ‘s game plan questioned but he doubted they would play as perfectly as they did.

Yeah a tough costly loss but sometimes you have to give the other team some credit.

actually I don’t think my points take away from Minnesota . They played great - particularly those 2 guys (who each played out of their minds and each had career games). They deserve props

but pikes game plan did NOTHING to prevent that from happening (particularly making them play harder on both offense and defense by attacking on offense and pressing at least a little!!!) on defense .

so certainly kudos to them but pikes game plan (or lack thereof) created the stage for them to have the games they did

Reactions: bac2therac
Willis scored 14.5 more points than his average. Baker scored 14.1 more points than his average.
THIS IS IRRELEVANT.

Willis made a bunch of contested shots against a good defense. Baker made a bunch of open shots against a mediocre defense. Comparing to season averages is just laziest possible analysis.

Reactions: cm_13 and Scangg
What does “get inside” mean to us when Cliff is in the game?
Once the ball is in his hands anywhere but in dunking distance, I’d say our chances of scoring are very low via some kind of low post jump hook attempt or a functional pass by him

What does “get inside” mean to us when Cliff is in the game?
Once the ball is in his hands anywhere but in dunking distance, I’d say our chances of scoring are very low via some kind of low post jump hook attempt or a functional pass by him
Yes, he really needs to get it together with regards to finishing inside (non dunks).

On the bright side, if he does manage to figure that out he is going to be an absolutely amazing player for us.

Reactions: kcg88
You're being obtuse. This wasn't a the "single factor" game you want to make it out to be.

he keeps saying this yet Geo went for 25 and was 9-17/7-14, if Geo didnt get hot, one could say Minny wins this in a blowout

Willis got his but the rest of the team also shot over 50%..Flux insisting the defense was solid enough..no RU didnt play the type of defense need to harrass them and bother them and Pike didnt make any adjustment in the 2nd

Reactions: RUChoppin
he keeps saying this yet Geo went for 25 and was 9-17/7-14, if Geo didnt get hot, one could say Minny wins this in a blowout
I mean I explained to the guy multiple times where I'm coming from here. Geo had a ton of open looks. The other guy made a bunch of difficult shots. I think (know, actually) that Geo was a lot closer to his expectation, given the shots he had, than Willis was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT