ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY: 2023 Rutgers Football Scarlet-White Spring Game Thread

Random observation and not just from today. Greg's first teams reflected his young energy. He seems so methodical on the sidelines I feel like the whole team reflects 2.0.

As much as I hate TTFP and RTB guy .. I think energy transfers. I don't see the juice anymore. ( I loved when he went nuts on the refs.. )

Ok.. carry on. Fire away.

Reactions: RUDead
What I saw was Wimsatt being very decisive and getting the ball out quickly. That will help him a ton. The defense looks pretty tough. And we have some very talented running backs.

Reactions: newell138
Far from good at DB, not much depth at safety. Also Amankwaa has higher ceiling on defense imo.
Richie… we all can and should have opinions… just being factual here as I was when I first saw Mo Sanu playing in the the NJ all star games years ago . Amankwa should have been tried at WR before DB. Wasn’t he originally going to the offense? If we can’t score this season then this D needs to be top 2-3 in order to win. Ask Iowa how that works.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
What I saw was Wimsatt being very decisive and getting the ball out quickly. That will help him a ton. The defense looks pretty tough. And we have some very talented running backs.
Yes quickly is good for Gavin but this was an intra squad scrimmage … it ain’t Michigan ,Ohio State snd PSU.

Dremel running button hooks in the slot might work some. Looks like he’s stronger and faster. This team will be in 3rd and 5 situations a lot. No deep threats.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Didn't get to catch the action but heard some very encouraging things.. Nice turn out, enthusiastic crowd. Heard team was looking big, athletic, and strong. Team looking chargers up on both sides of the ball. I'll take it 👌

Reactions: Knightmoves
Chris Dremel is fearless but if Chris is the go to guy we may be in deep Doo Doo.Attack of the smurfs 2023.

Pretty damn good actually.

As our premium folks know, we were all over that one and never said once that thing were going all good with Ndongo? Regardless as I mentioned we were all over that one and got the news out about the decommitment way before anyone else.

Don't mind Bob

d5da75c12783dbe2411ae6e0025006d8.jpg

By the way, the weather has been raw, with light rain/mist throughout and breezy conditions (10-20 mph winds), but I doubt more than 0.1" has fallen since 3 pm. Two days ago and even yesterday afternoon, it looked like we might have 1/4-1/2" of rain during the game with 20-30 mph winds, so it's certainly a lot better than it could've been. I'm sure a few folks melted, but it hasn't really fazed me much and I'm sure the players/coaches could not have cared less.
Weather you describe isn’t so bad. I’ll bet there were golfers playing the RU golf course today. 50F, 10-20 mph winds and 0.1 inches of rain are decent golfing conditions in Ireland. I played Tralee GC there with higher winds, more rain and colder than today and it was a great experience. Nobody was bitching about it.

Reactions: RU848789
Don't mind Bob

Don’t mind Bob since guess what ? Bob is spot on with many of observations. I respect everyone’s opinion but most RU posters seem to have a false sense of what they actually know about an athlete , team and staff. There are a number of our former players who know quite a bit but sadly they do the smart thing . Don’t feed the jackals. Enjoy the summer and lastly you can’t teach accuracy in throwing a football.

Don't mind Bob

Richie : you were torn about what was going on with Mgbako, Ndogno and said you were confident about Dylan coming here. I hope you are correct because if we don’t get him the site will have a major meltdown.

I was only able to watch the highlights on You tube but I thought Gavin threw some nice balls especially the TD to Patterson.
Jeez though our WRs look so tiny.

Weather you describe isn’t so bad. I’ll bet there were golfers playing the RU golf course today. 50F, 10-20 mph winds and 0.1 inches of rain are decent golfing conditions in Ireland. I played Tralee GC there with higher winds, more rain and colder than today and it was a great experience. Nobody was bitching about it.
It wasn't and same here. I've also played all over Ireland, including Tralee, Lahinch, Waterford, Mount Juliet, Dungarvan and more, including in the winter, with many rounds played in the mist or occasional light rain and with temps in the 40s. As the Irish say, that's a nice soft day. And in case anyone was wondering, it was almost certainly <0.1" of rain during the game, since only 0.1-0.25" fell from 1 pm until 1 am (the last 12 hours), as per the precip radar composite below. And there was definitely about 0.2" of rain in my gauge from about 1 pm to about 2:30 pm and Metuchen had about the same amount as Pway over the last 12 hours.

GvjpgJ5.png

Richie : you were torn about what was going on with Mgbako, Ndogno and said you were confident about Dylan coming here. I hope you are correct because if we don’t get him the site will have a major meltdown.
We broke the news about Rutgers having Mgbako interest, which was true.

We said Ndongo was 50/50 which he was and then broke his decommitment about a week later, we were all over that one.

Finally yes we are confident in Harper to Rutgers at the moment. If he doesn’t go to Rutgers in the end, I’d be shocked but it won’t be a major meltdown. Also just s was reminder recruiting changes daily if not hourly especially with NIL.

Btw hoops already has a top five class without him so things will be perfectly fine.

We said Ndongo was 50/50 which he was and then broke his decommitment about a week later, we were all over that one.

Finally yes we are confident in Harper to Rutgers at the moment. If he doesn’t go to Rutgers in the end, I’d be shocked but it won’t be a major meltdown. Also just s was reminder recruiting changes daily if not hourly especially with NIL.

Btw hoops already has a top five class without him so things will be perfectly fine.
Richie, good rebuttal, but you are wasting time here with the board Eeyore.

Back to the spring game, I watched later in day, and other than a few errant throws, did not think the QBs looked as bad as Bob made them out to be.

On receivers, thought Dremel, Rochelle, Washington and Patterson seemed to be in lead. Patterson with 2 TDs was a surprise.

If we want to win this year the kid gloves need to come off the qb's and they have to run 5 - 8 times per game. Neither is accurate enough to be a protected drop back qb so they must augment their game with running. IMO there is not much difference between the two so if one gets hurt the other steps in. Rupp's pass was a beauty and I would have liked to see more of him. If we play conservative protect the qb offense we won't sniff a bowl this year, even with the good rb room.

As I’ve said many times, accuracy is like speed you can’t teach it. You either have it or you don’t. You’re not going to “develop” accuracy. Winsatt doesn’t have it and he’s a dud as a consequence
You can’t teach arm strength But you can absolutely teach accuracy. A lot of it is mechanics, foot work and understanding the D.

Richie, good rebuttal, but you are wasting time here with the board Eeyore.

Back to the spring game, I watched later in day, and other than a few errant throws, did not think the QBs looked as bad as Bob made them out to be.

On receivers, thought Dremel, Rochelle, Washington and Patterson seemed to be in lead. Patterson with 2 TDs was a surprise.
Did not make anyone of the QB’s out to be “ BAD” only making an honest observation of what was shown on the screen. Yes , the weather, the new offensive schemes and the mere fact of a split squad should and did have an effect upon the practice. Remember that weather in November . Gavin still needs a and great deal of work in order to achieve what his rankings suggest. Evan’ s arm strength will always be suspect. Ajani is still a threat by years end.The Rupp kid actually threw a great TD pass in his limited stint. The problem is you look to make this a personal thing again and sucking up to Richie gives you comfort. There are many others on this board who will be much more upset by poor QB play in 4-5 months. Enjoy your Sunday.

You can’t teach arm strength But you can absolutely teach accuracy. A lot of it is mechanics, foot work and understanding the D.
No you can’t …you either have the gift or you don’t for most. Like a pitcher throwing ( 90+) in lower leagues high school , college, minors. They can throw it through a brick wall but 1 out 10 never achieve that skill. Control…Not much different in football for many. As someone else pointed out we had one kid who could throw it 70-80 yards but hit a player in stride? Nope wasn’t possible. There are however some who may understand power isn’t what a QB pass is all about.

• Haha

Basketball has a top five class?

archer-sterling-archer-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect-penis-dick-gif-5428707.gif

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
Hmmm.. if you bitched about it it would not make for much of a humble brag 😜

Unfortunately I saw one pretty bad example of this.. a throw into he endzone corner that went a bit wide.. a bit more preparation.. more focus on making sure he is in position to throw quickly and with accuracy, would have gotten the TD... then again, doing the same stuff later he hit the TD in the same place on a 4th down. I should add that on many of his quick throws he did look good with form and attention to details.. which has to happen auto-magically to be any good.

Last edited:
What ?
The Go to WRs ahead of Dremel are Rochelle, Chris Long, and possibly Washington and Brantley. WR Braithwaite looks good.
According to Eric on the tv cast Dremel has stood out as a possible usable weapon… if you see my other posting on WR you will see the guys you mentioned . I see that Fuse and another player have been switched from DB to wide out. Still wish Tom Amankwa had been given a try. This is the weaker group at the moment versus the DB room .

Unfortunately I saw one pretty bad example of this.. a throw into he endzone corner that went a bit wide.. a bit more preparation.. more focus on making sure he is in position to throw quickly and with accuracy, would have gotten the TD... then again, doing the same stuff later he hit the TD in the same place on a 4th down. I should add that on many of his quick throws he did look good with form and attention to details.. which has to happen auto-magically to be any good.
Let’s hope another 4 months under Chris C. ‘’s direction will be the fix if not that Ajani prediction may hold true come November.

No you can’t …you either have the gift or you don’t for most. Like a pitcher throwing ( 90+) in lower leagues high school , college, minors. They can throw it through a brick wall but 1 out 10 never achieve that skill. Control…Not much different in football for many. As someone else pointed out we had one kid who could throw it 70-80 yards but hit a player in stride? Nope wasn’t possible. There are however some who may understand power isn’t what a QB pass is all about.
Underrated post. This board has misplaced its sense of humor.
Love how your significant other does a great job bobbing for apples every 🎃

I turned on BTN and RU is down 30-0 to MD early in the 4th quarter. Anyone think that we might make a comeback? 😀

This game is not much of an appetizer before watching the Spring Game.
Well after the 3 hour Maryland love fest that BTN sponsored anything is better .

Underrated post. This board has misplaced its sense of humor.
I haven't lost mine. Back over 20 years ago and at an old job, the was a Neal and a Bob in our department. I couldn't tell you how many times we asked if that was their names or if that is what they did to each other.

Reactions: mildone
I haven't lost mine. Back over 20 years ago and at an old job, the was a Neal and a Bob in our department. I couldn't tell you how many times we asked if that was their names or if that is what they did to each other.
Be careful your treading on the now protected lifestyle of the reach elitists.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT