ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin has moments, but is not improving accuracy

doesn't have the touch on those passes to backs in flat, has never had it. fires it in there like you are having a catch with your 5 year old from two feet away and they whip the ball at you.
This. But again it poses the unanswered question. Why no reps in the Wagner game? This is what he needs to fix. Is it that they’ve just given up on those passes? That can’t be.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
doesn't have the touch on those passes to backs in flat, has never had it. fires it in there like you are having a catch with your 5 year old from two feet away and they whip the ball at you.
It’s not a touch pass. RB will not appreciate the QB floating that pass.

Reactions: Kbee3
It must have been Simon that got us the 4 wins, I just couldn't read the name on the jersey.

He hasn't done anything we're undefeated at home but we lost two road games including to the #2 in America so he must be just terrible.

SMH this board

You know the Nova haters would have begged for a player of that caliber the last few years, and now everyone is back to whine about a kid who has done everything expected thus far
THIS...A lot on this board are just so dam negative...I'd hate to be them...Must suck...

Why can't people accept that when you see accuracy issues in your starting QB it is okay to say something about it?

Is stating the obvious really that dangerous?

Is stating the obvious going to cause him to be MORE inaccurate?

It is a problem we all share. The fans, coaches, players and most of all GW himself. I'd love for him to solve that little problem... to become more consistent.

Will insisting that all is well make him more accurate? GW has looked good and hs has looked bad. Why can't we just say it?

I wish I could follow that up and say exactly what he needs to go to improve but I am not a QB coach and I'd imagine he is already getting professional advice on that topic. GW needs to do more to salve that problem.. for HIMSELF most of all. But we'd all benefit if he does so.

Why can't people accept that when you see accuracy issues in your starting QB it is okay to say something about it?

It is a problem we all share. The fans, coaches, players and most of all GW himself. I'd love for him to solve that little problem... to become more consistent.

Will insisting that all is well make him more accurate? GW has looked good and hs has looked bad. Why can't we just say it?

I wish I could follow that up and say exactly what he needs to go to improve but I am not a QB coach and I'd imagine he is already getting professional advice on that topic. GW needs to do more to salve that problem.. for HIMSELF most of all. But we'd all benefit if he does so.
because he's annointed in their eyes due to ranking and position. it's harder for people to accept that they were wrong than to voluntarily burn themselves. I'll see if I can find a link to the study. Surreal

The issue is accuracy is impacted by WR and OL play. GW accuracy issue is blown out of proportion. He is not elite, but he is also not below average.

Reactions: Knight Shift

I think what you are saying is perfectly fine and allows for conversation. You are correct that there has been good and bad and he has had accuracy issues. But........
because he's annointed in their eyes due to ranking and position. it's harder for people to accept that they were wrong than to voluntarily burn themselves. I'll see if I can find a link to the study. Surreal
You then get the next person pretty much making him a failure. And then everyone feels the need to get a little defensive.

I think what you are saying is perfectly fine and allows for conversation. You are correct that there has been good and bad and he has had accuracy issues. But........

You then get the next person pretty much making him a failure. And then everyone feels the need to get a little defensive.
I get that.

And bringing up the Nova example was reasonable. Those of us who wanted Simon to get more REAL time in the blowouts and especially after GW went out vs Wisky .. that is very much how I felt about Nova's first three years.

We saw Nova do things WORSE than Sitkowski did when he was here and still Flood stuck with him. I thought it was the Don Bosco thing... that Flood thought if he stood by Nova that we'd get more of an IN with Bosco. I also thought Flood wanted to differentiate himself with GS in all things.. but especially regarding shuffling QBs. But this game of claiming there was an open competition for QB when there wasn't .. that was the final straw for me.

While this is NOT the case with GW.. re-read that to make sure you know I am not claiming the following applies to this situation... I thought sticking with Nova and working the game plan around his weaknesses to stick with him destroyed our offense.

How can I say that when he had some great games and a great senior year? Because I think Nova destroyed any pipeline of good WR recruits. And Ash could not recover. During those years I would say, if you were a top WR.. why would you come to Rutgers where the QB and passing game has such issues ?

Clearly, Wimsatt has not produced that problem.. we have better WRs than in any recent year.. and they all had options to go elsewhere. I do think Wimsatt can get there. I do not think Simon can replace him and be an across-the-board improvement. But I would have liked to have seen more from him to know what he does bring to the table when GW might be knocked out at any moment.

And if Wimsatt gets the nod for his running ability... then let's start using it better. We couldn't run between the hashmarks vs Wisconsin (nor is it likely vs any of the top Big Ten foes).. so why haven't we seen him fake handoff and bootleg outside? I think maybe we saw it off the mesh-handoff exactly once this season. Every successful run buys him time to pass on pass plays. Every successful run means a defender will be spying him and not doing run support on RB runs or covering a TE or doubling on a deep route.

If Wimsatt is in there because he can run.. RUN HIM. Roll him out too where he has an easier time deciding pass/run and puts pressure on the D. Does anything get WRs open more than defense seeing the QB is outside and has room to run?

Last edited:
We are where we are. Gavin is a big key to winning the game today. With rain predicted throughout the day, his ability to run will be crucial to time of possession, keeping the defense fresh and getting points on the board. Let's hope that Kyle returns to his early season rushing yardage and / or Brown has recovered and can be the Brown of last season. This game is so critical to the season so we need the offense to have it's best game of the season.

Let’s hope he gets on track today for MSU, even though it’s raining he’s gonna need those short route completions to be spot on. Might not be many long balls today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT