ADVERTISEMENT

Simon deserves some reps

Simon is not any better and never has had the running ability. I don't think the next year quarterback is on this team. And with Simon we scored 10 points last year. Don't understand why Wimsatt did not run. Doesn't matter Iowa DL is better tha
Not sure why you say this unless you think stars still matter. Simon had a better qb rating than Wimsatt last year. This year Wimsatt is probably still below Simon's level last year with a much better team. Simon had one chance this year and shined. He is also a decent runner and I wouldn't consider him small at 6-2 210 or so. It was horrific coaching today to not insert Simon at some point to see if we get a different result.

I don't want to be in situations where we need to pass and pass only. But unless Wimsatt starts rolling out and running and getting out of bounds after a first on passing downs... we need to use someone like Simon when we shift into passing offense mode.... unless we are just getting Wimsatt more reps in hopes he can suddenly become a different player.

Iowa played their starters till the end.
The point is that maybe, just maybe, in that situation where we needed multiple scores in a short time and needed to pass the ball and Iowa KNEW we were going to pass the ball.. that Simon might be the better QB in that situation.. or at least that, maybe, we should find out in that game situation.

The point is that maybe, just maybe, in that situation where we needed multiple scores in a short time and needed to pass the ball and Iowa KNEW we were going to pass the ball.. that Simon might be the better QB in that situation.. or at least that, maybe, we should find out in that game situation.
Posted in another thread. On GW int, we kept 7 blockers in to block 4. Both WRs were double covered. Shows you the faith coaches have on the OL to pass protect.

Reactions: Kbee3
Posted in another thread. On GW int, we kept 7 blockers in to block 4. Both WRs were double covered. Shows you the faith coaches have on the OL to pass protect
Was that the play with the fake handoff for a fake sweep outside? Or was that the previous possession? In either case, I suppose we don't have spread offense for situations like that because we don't trust the QB. I don't think it is OL.. I think it is a QB issue.

That is.. if the QB could look at more than one target or find an open target.. then maybe it would make sense to send out more. We had that.. Wisconsin? DB saying film showed them that GW locks onto one target. Even if we sent more out they could safely ignore them and just look at whoever Wimsatt is looking at.

I know that sounds harsh.. toward one of our own.. but it is really about the QB coach and OC as well. And maybe the HC for not getting things fixed in that regard or getting Simon more PT in any one of the many opportunities where he could have.

Maybe its in practice that Simon fails enough to know he is not teh man.. but we have seen him in spring and in limited action in games and in many ways it seems like he is the guy who should be in in passing situations.

As for keeping blockers in.. GW had plenty of time many times this year and even in this game. I don't think this is about the OL... maybe the coaches playing scared expecting an all-out blitz with nothing to lose.. up multiple scores. That's what GS would do.

Was that the play with the fake handoff for a fake sweep outside? Or was that the previous possession? In either case, I suppose we don't have spread offense for situations like that because we don't trust the QB. I don't think it is OL.. I think it is a QB issue.

That is.. if the QB could look at more than one target or find an open target.. then maybe it would make sense to send out more. We had that.. Wisconsin? DB saying film showed them that GW locks onto one target. Even if we sent more out they could safely ignore them and just look at whoever Wimsatt is looking at.

I know that sounds harsh.. toward one of our own.. but it is really about the QB coach and OC as well. And maybe the HC for not getting things fixed in that regard or getting Simon more PT in any one of the many opportunities where he could have.

Maybe its in practice that Simon fails enough to know he is not teh man.. but we have seen him in spring and in limited action in games and in many ways it seems like he is the guy who should be in in passing situations.

As for keeping blockers in.. GW had plenty of time many times this year and even in this game. I don't think this is about the OL... maybe the coaches playing scared expecting an all-out blitz with nothing to lose.. up multiple scores. That's what GS would do.
we can agree to disagree. OL play has improved and can handle middle of pack Ds. But against better teams, it’s still a liability.

The most worrying thing for me is what the coaching staff obviously thinks about Gavin's competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT