ADVERTISEMENT

Simon deserves some reps

That's not what I said. Not even close.

So I didn't bother reading the rest. If you want to address what I actually wrote, then I'll read it and respond.
You misunderstood me, though I understand why. I wasn't arguing with you or creating a strawman as much as framing two different ideas. I actually agreed with you for the most part, though you are certainly welcome to ignore it.

If my aunt had… NV doesn’t have eligibility.

Yea he is the best we have now and I would be absolutely floored if Schiano changes QB1s next year.

The ‘competition’ probably never was.

The comment was in response to a post that grouped NV with Simon and a few other retreads. I was actually pointing out that we’d be in much better shape this season with Noah because I believe this demonstrates good reason to be optimistic about next year. When you have D and a line, you don’t need a star QB to be highly competitive. Any mobile QB who is reliable at least in the medium and short game would be a big boost next season. Whether that happens through improvement from Gavin or someone new stepping in. The good news from this is that it’s realistic that we can actually find someone as good or better than Vedral in the portal.

Reactions: Kbee3
I didn't say all that in bold. Generally speaking, coaches seek only to win the next game.

Yes, coaches will consider the future beyond the next game when making decisions about the next game (e.g. better to sit a recently injured player if not needed in to win the next game). But I don't think the NIL thing will weigh very heavily w/most coaches because if they don't win games now, they won't be around long enough to enjoy the benefits of playing politics.
Without breaking Shelby’s Promise, I will suggest that a coach with an 8 year contract doesn’t much worry about the short term

It doesn't matter what your opinion is, it's what defensive coaches game plan for. You are arguing against something that everyone that's ever played defense on any level of football understands; the hand off isn't delayed for fun lol. But carry on
So you’re now reaching to claim that Gavin was the reason we won that game because the handoff was ‘delayed’…. Gimme a break. That’s pure idiocy

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I was right. You weren’t watching. LOL
Score was 24-13 MSU after the punt fumble
GW TD pass to IW and 2 pt conversion pass to CD to make it 24-21.
Whatever order, if you think 1 TD pass is the reason we came back from down 18 you simply don’t understand math. Help explain to me how a TD pass and 2 pt conversation made up 18 points?

Rather the reason we won that game was NOt because Gavin won it for us, reality is MSU gave us that game as a gift. We needed back to back unbelievable special teams blunders to make that comeback. If you are counting on opponents to make back to back 4th quarter blunders to claim our QB won the game for us you genuinely don’t understand what you are watching when you tune in.

Whatever order, if you think 1 TD pass is the reason we came back from down 18 you simply don’t understand math. Help explain to me how a TD pass and 2 pt conversation made up 18 points?

Rather the reason we won that game was NOt because Gavin won it for us, reality is MSU gave us that game as a gift. We needed back to back unbelievable special teams blunders to make that comeback. If you are counting on opponents to make back to back 4th quarter blunders to claim our QB won the game for us you genuinely don’t understand what you are watching when you tune in.
True. The win counts just the same but the ball bounced our way at the end like never before, literally and figuratively.

Just about every football team’s success rests on its OL and DL play. Win the battle in the trenches and the rest of the game becomes much easier.
yes but ours escpecially this year as it was not supposed to be as strong as it was in addition, in context of this thread debate

Thank you for admitting you were wrong. You should watch the games more and less name calling. No one wins or loses the game. It’s a team sport.

That's not what I said. Not even close.

So I didn't bother reading the rest. If you want to address what I actually wrote, then I'll read it and respond.
no your intimation was exactly that. you can't backtrack it

what is comical is that history is littered with supposed experts who make awful decisons but hey, we don't see the practices so we can't possibly know

no your intimation was exactly that. you can't backtrack it

what is comical is that history is littered with supposed experts who make awful decisons but hey, we don't see the practices so we can't possibly know
LOL. It’s not and I said nothing I would ever want to backtrack. Do you guys drop LSD when you come in the forum? ‘Cause ya’ll are hallucinating.

our success rests on the oline, no debate
agreed.. this effort to ignore that and give GW all the credit is absurd.

All we heard last year was how the OL sucked. I was among the few who claimed the OL was not helped at all by a poor passing game and play design and playcalling... that a D not fearing what we could do offensively resulted in, essentially, the OL being given a near impossible task.

Here we are a year later and the OL looks much better and the offense is moving the ball. New OC. New OL coach. Largely same players on OL... and at QB. GW's completion rate is 5% better at 49% compared to 44% last year and he had more pass attempts and completions than last year already.

Now, is that the QB is better so the whole offense is better.. or is it that the OC, OL coach and OL are better so the whole offense is better.. including the QB?

I vote coaches first.. then OL.. then Kyle... then GW.. and with the leading rusher in the Big Ten, You'd think the passing game would be a lot better... easier with the threat of Monangai on any down.

Last edited:
agreed.. this effort to ignore than and give GW all teh credit is absurd.

All we heard last year was how the OL sucked. I was among the few who claimed the OL was not helped at all by a poor passing game and play design and playcalling... that a D not fearing what we could do offensively resulted in, essentially, the OL being given a near impossible task.

Here we are a year later and the OL looks much better and the offense is moving the ball. New OC. New OL coach. Largely same players on OL... and at QB. GW's completion rate is 5% better at 49% compared to 44% last year and he had more pass attempts and completions than last year already.

Now, is that the QB is better so the whole offense is better.. or is it that the OC, OL coach and OL are better so the whole offense is better.. including the QB?

I vote coaches first.. then OL.. then Kyle... then GW.. and with the leading rusher in the Big Ten, You'd think the passing game would be a lot better... easier with the threat of Monangai on any down.
You are arguing against yourself with this post. You started with the OL was hurt by the poor passing game last year. You ended with the OL is much better but the passing game has not improved.

You are arguing against yourself with this post. You started with the OL was hurt by the poor passing game last year. You ended with the OL is much better but the passing game has not improved.
Both can be true.

What else ya got?

Look.. this thread is about Simon getting reps. Many times this season we could have played him and really seen if he has made strides this past offseason. And while I hope Wimsatt is the man for the rest of the season and the bowl game and even the next two years.. how can ANYONE have watched these games and been happy with his passing accuracy?

It is absurd to even believe Gavin Wimsatt himself is happy with his performances. He knows better than anyone watching how many throws he has missed.. he knows how many times he has locked onto a receiver and missed another.

Why must we pretend he is perfect or deny that we'd like to see Simon get reps when it is obvious Wimsatt is cold as ice. In hope he'll suddenly heat up and make nice throws? Oddly enough, that is what happened vs Michigan State... but remember, we wouldn't have been in such dire need had he played better earlier.

Stop making excuses and using unreasonable assessments of how much he is responsible for the winning record thus far.

Last edited:
Thank you for admitting you were wrong. You should watch the games more and less name calling. No one wins or loses the game. It’s a team sport.
Mr. Pot that you? Meet mr Kettle! You talking about less name calling is comical chief

Is this going to be another "Why did anyone think we'd beat Wisconsin? They are going to win the West and be ranked" things?
Where all week everyone says the game is winnable but then we lose and it's "that game was never winnable"?
Did you watch the game? This was not winnable. This is the least competitive game we played this year.

My totally uninformed speculation:

Simon wants to redshirt and has an understanding with the coaching staff that he will not be used unless necessary. He appeared in one game when Wimsatt was hurt. Note that he did not play in garbage time in the Wagner blowout.

With three games left including the bowl, Simon can now play in any or all of the remaining games and keep his redshirt intact.

If Wimsatt continues to struggle, I think we see Simon.

Reactions: Wagram97
Simon is not any better and never has had the running ability. I don't think the next year quarterback is on this team. And with Simon we scored 10 points last year. Don't understand why Wimsatt did not run. Doesn't matter Iowa DL is better than our OL.

Got it.
My bad.
I thought you meant coming into the game it was "unwinnable".
We could absolutely beat Iowa. But not the way we played today. We beat ourselves with those penalties. This reminded me of the NW game. We kept it manageable and went for a couple of 4th and shorts. That got us the lead and they were forced to play our game.

By all accounts Wimsatt is a great kid and an awesome ambassador to the program. But this level of qb play is not acceptable, and worse yet, he’s not improving. Accuracy and decision making aren’t there and doubt they will ever be.

I don’t think Simon’s the answer either but in limited time this year he looked solid. He needs to get some playtime. We can’t keep putting blind faith in GW without results.
Kids who work hard in practice deserve a shot when the kids in front of them don't perform - simple as that. It's not like there's a huge difference between GS and Simon.

Even "if" Simon were the answer this year, answer for what?
We are already bowl eligible.

What is Simon going do that Wimsatt isn't?
I'd rather give Wimsatt the snaps to aid in development for next year.

If anything, Sheppard needs a series a game. Just so he's not 100% unprepared for next year (only 99% unprepared).

Regardless of who plays, GW should not have played the last 5 minutes. Why risk getting him hurt in a game that's over, unless you're afraid of a QB controversy.

Reactions: Rokodesh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT