ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker

rpiseman

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
I wonder if the current state of college basketball is what Geo and the kid from Iowa envisioned? Kids jumping from school to school every year for a “bag”. I understand the free market aspects of introducing NIL, but college basketball is effectively unrecognizable and has changed for the worse.

Maybe this was Geo’s plan, would love to hear his perspective.

Everyone is benefiting from NIL. Parity has never been better. Kids have never had more money. Rating have never been better. Rutgers basketball hasn’t been better in decades. Etc etc.

Lot of guards were in the mix next year, should help to move us along for 2024. With cliffs decision looming next year could be a wash even before this announcement but that’s not definitive. Just what I’m thinking about as I think about the team right now.

More rules would be better and I’m sure they’ll come down the line.

It’s not what they envisioned because they were too young/naive and didnt understand things.

They were college kids with little real life experience when they advocated for this. When youre in college you usually are narrow minded. We all were.

It’s not what they envisioned because they were too young/naive and didnt understand things.

They were college kids with little real life experience when they advocated for this. When youre in college you usually are narrow minded. We all were.
But not all of us led a charge that messed up a sport.

It’s not NIL in a vacuum causing the problem. It’s NIL + the transfer rules. They need to bring back you can transfer 1 time, and sit out a year if you transfer twice, after that you lose your eligibility. If a head coach leaves, you can transfer freely. But if the head coach is still there, you can transfer once. That would put an end to free agency. Not even the pros are this unregulated.

In a perfect world I’d like players to make a choice whether they are professionals or amateurs. While they are amateurs they can not be compensated at all based on NIL.

However while they are amateurs they get a healthy stipend while they are in college and a significant percentage of the revenue that was earned from their sport gets placed in a trust for dispursement in the future.

On top of all this the NBA taking a bigger role in players development and dropping the age requirement. NBA franchises need to be on the hook and have to take risks.

Rutgers uses the transfer portal and NIL to steal a player from a lower level team: Great!
The same player then uses the portal and NIL to leave Rutgers: the system sucks and I'm not fan anymore!

Sounds about right for around here.
Where are all the threads from last off season saying "We shouldn't be poaching Cam. Think of how the Loyola fanbase is going to feel."

If we had a team of Geo Bakers we wouldn’t have collapsed and missed the tournament in epic fashion last year, so let’s redirect this toward the person making a choice to leave or the people making a choice to pay a probably obscene amount for him to play for a year

Rutgers uses the transfer portal and NIL to steal a player from a lower level team: Great!
The same player then uses the portal and NIL to leave Rutgers: the system sucks and I'm not fan anymore!

Sounds about right for around here.
Where are all the threads from last off season saying "We shouldn't be poaching Cam. Think of how the Loyola fanbase is going to feel."
A player going from the Patriot League to the Big Ten in mid April is very different from a player leaving the Big Ten to go to some other high major in mid May.

Lol NIL was a human right that was passed unanimously in Supreme Court. Your complaints about how it affects your favorite teams literally means jack squat. Geo did everything right.
Thank you! NIL at its most fundamental level was long overdue and Geo & co should be commended in advocating for it. The unintended consequences of NIL lie firmly in the hands of governing bodies and their lack of control / oversight. Tracing everything that is wrong with NIL back to Geo is reductionist and points to an infantile understanding of the world

A player going from the Patriot League to the Big Ten in mid April is very different from a player leaving the Big Ten to go to some other high major in mid May.

Tell that to the Patriot League fans.

So if Spencer goes to Kentucky or Kansas or UConn - everyone will be fine?

Thank you! NIL at its most fundamental level was long overdue and Geo & co should be commended in advocating for it. The unintended consequences of NIL lie firmly in the hands of governing bodies and their lack of control / oversight. Tracing everything that is wrong with NIL back to Geo is reductionist and points to an infantile understanding of the world
Exactly this

You're being intentionally obtuse. Hundreds of players did what Cam did last season. How many high major double digit scorers have entered the portal this week?

Oh. So your problem is the timing? Not that he's transferring for NIL considerations.
Okay - then undate the transfer window dates. Who cares.

But this thread is about NIL and Transfers.
So you're fine with Cam transferring for NIL reasons - just wanted it to be a month ago?
Just making sure I understand your point so I'm not being "intentionally" obtuse. And merely accidentally.

Reactions: RUsojo
Oh. So your problem is the timing? Not that he's transferring for NIL considerations.
Okay - then undate the transfer window dates. Who cares.

But this thread is about NIL and Transfers.
So you're fine with Cam transferring for NIL reasons - just wanted it to be a month ago?
Just making sure I understand your point so I'm not being "intentionally" obtuse. And merely accidentally.
I'm okay with NIL but the current format is clearly broken. I don't think baseball should bring back the reserve clause but I also don't want every baseball player to be a free agent every offseason.

To be clear the blame rests at the feet of the NCAA who blinded themselves to the inevitable and hardly even tried to put a framework in. I don't blame Geo one bit for fighting for NIL but I do reject the notion that Geo's interests and fans' interests are aligned. They aren't.

I'm okay with NIL but the current format is clearly broken. I don't think baseball should bring back the reserve clause but I also don't want every baseball player to be a free agent every offseason.

To be clear the blame rests at the feet of the NCAA who blinded themselves to the inevitable and hardly even tried to put a framework in. I don't blame Geo one bit for fighting for NIL but I do reject the notion that Geo's interests and fans' interests are aligned. They aren't.

Why would players interests and fans interests be aligned?
I would agree - who ever said that is fooling themselves.

It's simple:
Fans want good players to be forced to stay but also have the ability for bad players to be pushed out the door.
Oh and they also want good players from other schools to be able to transfer in.
But our good players can't transfer out.

Players want to be the best possible situation at that time.

Ace Bailey: Fans - forced to stay for 4 years, Player - able to go straight to NBA
Cam Spencer: Fan - forced to stay 4 years at Loyola (unless Rutgers wants him - then he should be able to transfer to us. screw those Loyola fans and what they wnat). Player - ability to transfer and get NIL from the highest bidder

Jalen Miller, Dean Reiber, Oskar Palmquist: Fans - able to force out when the staff wants so make room for higher rated recruits.

In a perfect world I’d like players to make a choice whether they are professionals or amateurs. While they are amateurs they can not be compensated at all based on NIL.

However while they are amateurs they get a healthy stipend while they are in college and a significant percentage of the revenue that was earned from their sport gets placed in a trust for dispursement in the future.

On top of all this the NBA taking a bigger role in players development and dropping the age requirement. NBA franchises need to be on the hook and have to take risks.
That ship sailed. Ncaa could have handled this years ago . Literally years ago.

Reactions: RutgersNo1

This doesn't work for basketball like other sports though.
NBA teams would love to lower the age requirement.
It's the NBA players that don't want it (more kids taking their jobs).

NBA would immediately take roughly the top 20 HS recruits right off the top every year.
Harper, Bailey and other elite HS players would never even consider Rutgers.
Fans would have to drastically lower their expectations around incoming talent.

It is not just losing Cam Spencer… it’s that our podcast predictors didn’t have a clue. Every speculation was that Mawot Mag was the guy, and he still might leave along with Cliff , Paul and whomever else takes the money and runs. Don’t blame the players . Blame the F’d up NCAA who did absolutely nothing prior to this. I don’t blame SP at all but Rutgers better be ready to be the feeder program to many other institutions of HIGHER learning.

It is not just losing Cam Spencer… it’s that our podcast predictors didn’t have a clue. Every speculation was that Mawot Mag was the guy, and he still might leave along with Cliff , Paul and whomever else takes the money and runs. Don’t blame the players . Blame the F’d up NCAA who did absolutely nothing prior to this. I don’t blame SP at all but Rutgers better be ready to be the feeder program to many other institutions of HIGHER learning.
How can you blame them. It is impossible to know what the price of a player will be in the future.

Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT