ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker

Laughable
Literally what did I say that was wrong? I know it’s something that isn’t going your way so you vehemently oppose it but rules aren’t bad just cause they aren’t made to benefit you.

It’s not what they envisioned because they were too young/naive and didnt understand things.

They were college kids with little real life experience when they advocated for this. When youre in college you usually are narrow minded. We all were.
I think you have to properly separate what we fans, generally a bunch of "old" (or at least older) men and women want/need versus what the players want/need. And in terms of NIL, some players want more than other players, while some players need more than other players. Other players are more old-fashioned and remain committed to their original school.

Times have changed, much like the labor market. Not that long ago, college graduate would graduate, go to work for a company and stay there for a lot of year (sometimes their entire career). Job hoppers were looked at as oddities. Nowadays, job-hopping is not only acceptable, but those that stay in one place for too long may be viewed as oddities.

Reactions: czxqa
I don’t blame the players one iota… take the $$$$ and run quickly. Almost feel Schiano’s podcast said as much… Cam is not as big a loss as perceived here in this thread.

Lol NIL was a human right that was passed unanimously in Supreme Court. Your complaints about how it affects your favorite teams literally means jack squat. Geo did everything right.
OK how about this: they start paying for their scholarships as “free rides” ARE NOT a “human right.”

Not one of the insiders or connected people had any clue. It was a whiff for the ages.
It would be a complete whiff for everyone that knows you if one day someone offered you 3X what you are currently making. Nobody would see it coming but everyone would completely understand.

I am taking liberty here because I. Don’t know you or your circumstances. I am just saying the typical person.

OK how about this: they start paying for their scholarships as “free rides” ARE NOT a “human right.”
Why should a scholarship mean you have to waive your right to making money? Do academic scholarships require such a thing? With NIL teams didn’t start pulling schollies cause they could make their own money now, did they? Clearly, they have value to the school. Shouldn’t force them into laws that the Supreme Court unanimously agreed were unfair.

Reactions: tm_nj
Hey I’m on the side of “salary caps for HC’s and staffs” AS WELL AS programs/teams/players. Just that if you ask me these kids already get “paid” in one way.
Relative to the amount they bring in for their coaches and the athletic department it is peanuts.

Believe me I wish it wasn’t this way. I’d love to go back to conferences based on geography and coaches that were paid a fraction of what they are now.

It is not just losing Cam Spencer… it’s that our podcast predictors didn’t have a clue. Every speculation was that Mawot Mag was the guy, and he still might leave along with Cliff , Paul and whomever else takes the money and runs. Don’t blame the players . Blame the F’d up NCAA who did absolutely nothing prior to this. I don’t blame SP at all but Rutgers better be ready to be the feeder program to many other institutions of HIGHER learning.
The NCAA had rules. The Supreme Court invalidated them. Saying the NCAA "did absolutely nothing" is just inaccurate. It's the Congress who did absolutely nothing.

At this point, college team revenue sports have become basically semi-pro leagues. Any former associations with the actual college and universities are in name only now more than ever. Might as well just drop the free tuition, room and board; and class and grade requirements.

The NCAA had rules. The Supreme Court invalidated them. Saying the NCAA "did absolutely nothing" is just inaccurate. It's the Congress who did absolutely nothing.
Listen up youngster. The NCAA could have helped set up a fair and consistent guideline in what is now a boondoggle known as NIL . The Supreme Court only did what most here at Rutgers thought was good… it may be still be with a few tweaks going forward.As I have maintained I do not blame a player male or female to make a buck or two or three etc. Just hope Rutgers fully understands this or we will be a feeder type program in a high class neighborhood.

I would renew and sell them to you. In the end I won't have the guts to not renew.

If you renew feel free to sell your 100 level seats to me.

@RUsojo is very busy and lives too far away to even watch out games on tv sometimes (he’s stated this).

I’ll donate my 200 level tickets and drive the hour each way to sit in the 100 level.

Reactions: GORU2014
Listen up youngster. The NCAA could have helped set up a fair and consistent guideline in what is now a boondoggle known as NIL . The Supreme Court only did what most here at Rutgers thought was good… it may be still be with a few tweaks going forward.As I have maintained I do not blame a player male or female to make a buck or two or three etc. Just hope Rutgers fully understands this or we will be a feeder type program in a high class neighborhood.
Players will not allow the NCAA to restrict their earnings. The first actual rules that the NCAA puts out will be challenged in court.

Reactions: bac2therac
Players will not allow the NCAA to restrict their earnings. The first actual rules that the NCAA puts out will be challenged in court.
They already were ... and the Supreme Court invalidated them. The NCAA had rules in place that prevented this.

What if you only get 20 grand in NIL and room and board is 30k? Schools aren't going to pull the scholly if they want the player

Don't listen to the "pull their scholarship" nonsense. It's a fake argument.

They don't realize they are disproving their own point.
"Pulling their free education" implies it's a benefit and payment being received.
So by that, players have been paid forever and were never precious "amateurs".
Now the players are getting paid more - NIL plus benefits from the schools.

Its not "unpaid" to "paid". It's just level of compensation increases.

Reactions: motorb54
Thank you! NIL at its most fundamental level was long overdue and Geo & co should be commended in advocating for it. The unintended consequences of NIL lie firmly in the hands of governing bodies and their lack of control / oversight. Tracing everything that is wrong with NIL back to Geo is reductionist and points to an infantile understanding of the world
Players asked for NIL without any restrictions, the Supreme Court ruled in their favor. Thus, there are no rules that any governing body can put on NIL. If they try the Supreme Court already said if you do you will open yourself up to a lawsuit. You're looking for a bogey man who doesn't exist, the players got exactly what they wanted in unrestricted NIL backed by threats of lawsuits. Hell, the NCAA is even teetering the line with trying to restrict transfers. The only thing that can now solve this is an act of Congress.

Haha. Now I feel bad..lol. I’ve been a diehard fan since the 70s and had Littlepage and Jordan season tickets. I couldn’t give two sh*ts what you think.
You are obviously not a “diehard” fan of you renew tickets based on how good you think we are going to be.

Reactions: GORU2014
I would renew and sell them to you. In the end I won't have the guts to not renew.

If you renew feel free to sell your 100 level seats to me.

@RUsojo is very busy and lives too far away to even watch out games on tv sometimes (he’s stated this).

I’ll donate my 200 level tickets and drive the hour each way to sit in the 100 level.
This is true. Glad to have helped faciltiate. No harm no foul

• Haha
Reactions: S_Janowski
Players asked for NIL without any restrictions, the Supreme Court ruled in their favor. Thus, there are no rules that any governing body can put on NIL. If they try the Supreme Court already said if you do you will open yourself up to a lawsuit. You're looking for a bogey man who doesn't exist, the players got exactly what they wanted in unrestricted NIL backed by threats of lawsuits. Hell, the NCAA is even teetering the line with trying to restrict transfers. The only thing that can now solve this is an act of Congress.
The individual conferences can implement NIL bans and restrictions; it's explicitly mentioned in the Supreme Court ruling. But yes, I agree, the only way this gets fixed is by Congress.

Anyone knocking the players for the way NIL has changed the landscape
should take a close look at the reason the players decided to get the money that the NCAA was getting using them to make bucks.
The greed of the NCAA was the problem and now everyone blams the players.
All the NCAA had o do s find a way to distributed the money they were making off the players and distribute it fairly among all the players.
( maybe instead of holding back from them , keeping all for themselves the NCAA could have)
Give the players ( every college players gets a portion) a 70% cut and NCAA takes 30% for administrating the NIL program.
As it was the NCAA didn't want to share and their first greed domino to fall was when Ed O'Bannon and others sued the NCAA and won.

You are obviously not a “diehard” fan of you renew tickets based on how good you think we are going to be.
You’re right…yet I’ve renewed them for 30+ years…lol. It has more to do with how the system is changing than the quality of the team.

Anyone knocking the players for the way NIL has changed the landscape
should take a close look at the reason the players decided to get the money that the NCAA was getting using them to make bucks.
The greed of the NCAA was the problem and now everyone blams the players.
All the NCAA had o do s find a way to distributed the money they were making off the players and distribute it fairly among all the players.
( maybe instead of holding back from them , keeping all for themselves the NCAA could have)
Give the players ( every college players gets a portion) a 70% cut and NCAA takes 30% for administrating the NIL program.
As it was the NCAA didn't want to share and their first greed domino to fall was when Ed O'Bannon and others sued the NCAA and won.
Are you talking about money the NCAA makes or the school? I don't think I have ever seen a figure for what the NCAA makes.

If fifty percent of the half million alumni that live in the Metro area gave $10.00 to NIL yearly that would 2.5 million to divide up among all sports. Rutgers alumni only remember the professor that screwed them on a grade for the reasons not to contribute or the freshman dorm room mate they couldn’t ditch.

It’s not what they envisioned because they were too young/naive and didnt understand things.

They were college kids with little real life experience when they advocated for this. When youre in college you usually are narrow minded. We all were.
Please

Now it’s Geo and all the other athletes that advocates for NILs fault… man shut up😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT