ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs need to do something special to get students in Piscataway early for Ohio State

Is there liability, of course. Can it be done in a way to mitigate that liability, yes. Can there be a giant student tailgate where everyone has responsible fun, yes. Will it increase student attendance, yes. Will it create lifelong fans and make memories for the student body, yes

The admin just has to be willing to give it a shot. Liability will never be zero, in anything.

That's the kicker right there. And that is why the Alley was shut down. Don't forget the Barchi admin was risk-adverse, which is why the legal department initially recommended to Pernetti not to fire Rice. I have to believe once they saw pictures of the Alley and the publicity Hobbs brought to it, they went apeshit and had it shut down by the next home game.

you are not wrong on this at all, Rutgers needs to foster student tailgating, not inhibit it

people complain, people get upset when it's called out. Hell just look at that guy on the roundtable practically having an aneurysm because of an example about complaining with Greg. people have become way way too ridiculous

but you are 100% correct
If the plans to build the football training facilty on the yellow lot and a soccer practice field on the blue lot are true, then maybe RU should start by not destroying tailgating altogether, before worrying about student tailgating.

Oh, and if they did revive the Alley in some way, shape or form, keep the MCSO's far, far away from it.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
With the current don't ask, don't tell laws in NJ regarding alcohol and marijuana, there should be a workable compromise. I would suggest carving out an area for students. That could be the old Ally area, or a circus tent in blue lot. It would be fenced in and a student ID is needed to enter. RUPD can have a visible presence to prevent any stupid behavior. Allow student groups to rent space within the area, for a fee. The greek orgs would band together and have a common DJ/stage. Have a BYOB policy. I know local businesses would be happy to sponsor this area. RU is not selling alcohol. RU is not condoning underage drinking. RU is actually creating an area where students can congregate and enjoy a college GameDay tailgate as student body. The stadium is literally on the way home. Students will go to the game if they're already on Busch. Then it's up to RUFB to play competitive games and keep them in the stands

Is there liability, of course. Can it be done in a way to mitigate that liability, yes. Can there be a giant student tailgate where everyone has responsible fun, yes. Will it increase student attendance, yes. Will it create lifelong fans and make memories for the student body, yes

The admin just has to be willing to give it a shot. Liability will never be zero, in anything. There are dozens of sexual assaults in residence halls every year, but we don't close down the dorms. Same idea, remove and ticket the stupid, but allow the other 98% to enjoy what would be come a fantastic tradition. As an RU alum and RU parent, I would much prefer my kids in The Alley, then behind an off campus house or frat with little to no supervision....and I'm a frat advisor :) Athletics and Hobbs had the right idea, just need the folks across the river to buy in.
Which was suggested by someone in the thread.
Oh, and if they did revive the Alley in some way, shape or form, keep the MCSO's far, far away from it.
Also suggested by someone in the thread.

If the plans to build the football training facility on the yellow lot and a soccer practice field on the blue lot are true, then maybe RU should start by not destroying tailgating altogether, before worrying about student tailgating.
Fair point.

Last edited:
With the current don't ask, don't tell laws in NJ regarding alcohol and marijuana, there should be a workable compromise. I would suggest carving out an area for students. That could be the old Ally area, or a circus tent in blue lot. It would be fenced in and a student ID is needed to enter. RUPD can have a visible presence to prevent any stupid behavior. Allow student groups to rent space within the area, for a fee. The greek orgs would band together and have a common DJ/stage. Have a BYOB policy. I know local businesses would be happy to sponsor this area. RU is not selling alcohol. RU is not condoning underage drinking. RU is actually creating an area where students can congregate and enjoy a college GameDay tailgate as student body. The stadium is literally on the way home. Students will go to the game if they're already on Busch. Then it's up to RUFB to play competitive games and keep them in the stands

The admin just has to be willing to give it a shot. Liability will never be zero, in anything. There are dozens of sexual assaults in residence halls every year, but we don't close down the dorms. Same idea, remove and ticket the stupid, but allow the other 98% to enjoy what would be come a fantastic tradition. As an RU alum and RU parent, I would much prefer my kids in The Alley, then behind an off campus house or frat with little to no supervision....and I'm a frat advisor :) Athletics and Hobbs had the right idea, just need the folks across the river to buy in.

Steve this is an area where I am super passionate, as you are, about. We’ve talked about it on many threads.

What would stop us from organizing a student focused tailgate ?
- we get some sponsors and donors to fund parking passes for them
- we let a Greek or two play host each game where they get the DJ and beverages and they influence their friends to come
- maybe we throw some more money at it to hype it up more with decor , additional entertainment, giveaways, food, etc

It would start slow perhaps but after 2-3 games, just like the Alley , it could become a thing that students enjoy and a new tradition

Is the goal to get them in the stadium for kick off and stay to the end or to have them tailgate? Because this thread is all over the place.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
Need folks to rally the fans in the lots and lead a procession to the stadium... European soccer style.

See:

We also need the Boardwalk and the performing Boardwalk band to shut down before the game starts to encourage people to get in for the game. Last home game the band was still playing while the Glee Club was singing the anthem.

Reactions: sct1111
Steve this is an area where I am super passionate, as you are, about. We’ve talked about it on many threads.

What would stop us from organizing a student focused tailgate ?
- we get some sponsors and donors to fund parking passes for them
- we let a Greek or two play host each game where they get the DJ and beverages and they influence their friends to come
- maybe we throw some more money at it to hype it up more with decor , additional entertainment, giveaways, food, etc

It would start slow perhaps but after 2-3 games, just like the Alley , it could become a thing that students enjoy and a new tradition
It would become giant in a short time, just like the Alley did after one week. Parking passes could never be coordinated to drive in together and you don’t want students driving at all. Need University buy-in at the highest level to create the space. It also needs to be confined/fenced to be controlled. RU has to be “all in “ or it won’t work.

I’m sure the Boardwalk costs tens of thousands of dollars each week and it’s great. Let’s spend a little on the students and give them an area too

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I'm just wondering if the area next to the intramural fields they gave them, which was about the time we started tp stink IIRC, would work now?

It would become giant in a short time, just like the Alley did after one week. Parking passes could never be coordinated to drive in together and you don’t want students driving at all. Need University buy-in at the highest level to create the space. It also needs to be confined/fenced to be controlled. RU has to be “all in “ or it won’t work.

I’m sure the Boardwalk costs tens of thousands of dollars each week and it’s great. Let’s spend a little on the students and give them an area too
Been to many stadiums throughout the country. And South Carolina does it the best. Self contained and controlled and patrolled by Greek Council.

They do it right. Have the Rutgers Greek council reach out and find out how they were able to make it work. South Carolina had the same issues as Rutgers and they figured out a way to make it all work.

So what?

So people complained and now students don't tailgate. You got what you wanted. Don't complain about students not going to the game and/or not becoming fans then. Tailgating as a student was a pretty big part of the undergraduate experience at the time. And now it's not.
They still tailgate but they do it at the fraternities, dorms, and off campus housing. Personally I liked when the students TG'd in the Blue lot. Seeing 17-21 y/o females was a good energy to be around.

They still tailgate but they do it at the fraternities, dorms, and off campus housing. Personally I liked when the students TG'd in the Blue lot. Seeing 17-21 y/o females was a good energy to be around.

What The Reaction GIF by CBS

• Haha
Reactions: RUBlackout and fsg2
Is the goal to get them in the stadium for kick off and stay to the end or to have them tailgate? Because this thread is all over the place.
staying to the end is going to be pretty strongly correlated to what is happening on the field, so that is kind of hard to control.

in this era of short attention spans, it's no longer good enough to be winning games against bad teams or being competitive with very good teams. it needs to be entertaining, and unless you're a true football fan, this run heavy, time management offense of ours can get rather dull to the casual fan/game attendee.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Both.

Get the students close to the stadium and then get them and everyone else in the stadium before the game starts.

Easy solution. Shut down Boardwalk 20 minutes before kickoff. Have a siren, cannon, intern with a megaphone, wtf ever announce for people to start making their way to the stadium.

Also fix the ticketing lines. Way too slow. Have people redirect fans to the scarlet lot entrance, it's never as crowded as the north entrance.

Reactions: Pinstripe111323
I'm just wondering if the area next to the intramural fields they gave them, which was about the time we started tp stink IIRC, would work now?
i think that area is too small....and also on the other side of the stadium from where they have to enter...they should parse out a section of Johnson Park, put a few high volume food trucks for them there to pregame til 1 hour before kickoff.. fact need to make it cost effective and entertaining....

Didn't the roofies take the energy right out of the room, so to speak?

• Haha
Reactions: RUDiddy777
i think that area is too small....and also on the other side of the stadium from where they have to enter...they should parse out a section of Johnson Park, put a few high volume food trucks for them there to pregame til 1 hour before kickoff.. fact need to make it cost effective and entertaining....
Nope. Do it there in the Middlesex County sheriffs department runs the show. No thank you.

I think what some of the posters are missing is that demand for parking/tickets etc. increased during that year because it was our first year in the B1G. You had more donors, long-time season ticketholders mixed in with the student tailgates because they may have been moved from lots where there weren't students.

The donors/season ticketholders probably don't see it as unreasonable to expect that people wouldn't puke on their car or p$ss on them. This was discussed at length at the time with the Hamsterdam student section proposed. Someone even drew a map with the proposed carve out for students. Can't really compare that year to 1995-99 or even some of the 2005-09 years.

My group was only in there for that year because of a donation snafu that got us bounced from Yellow.
I recall that Hamsterdam idea, seemed like a good solution

Correct. Start of the 2ND QUARTER. And it was not 2/3rds full at KO. I'll GLADLY "go to the videotape" on that one.
Went to RU Wisconsin a few years ago in the driving rain and stadium just as empty as RU in bad weather. Those who want to badmouth RU will but pretty much the same after the biggies, Michigan, PSU, OSU, Iowa and Nebby. Purdue maybe too but not as big.

I hear that Cologne is beautiful which is nice but I'm mostly going for the Kolsch lol. Hamburg is famous for it's WeiBbier (wheat) and Pilsners. Hamburg also has several new breweries make award winning craft beers including IPAs
Cologne (Koln) is not beautiful. Entire city other than The Dom (cathedral) rebuilt in the 1950’s after Allies blew the sh!t out of it. Now, on the other hand, nearby Düsseldorf, especially The Altstadt (old city) is awesome. Biergarten’s aplenty. 🍺. Great restaurant, Zum Schiffen for best roast pork. Napoleon ate there. 👀

Also Belgium has many great beers too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Been to many stadiums throughout the country. And South Carolina does it the best. Self contained and controlled and patrolled by Greek Council.

They do it right. Have the Rutgers Greek council reach out and find out how they were able to make it work. South Carolina had the same issues as Rutgers and they figured out a way to make it all work.

Off topic, but South Carolina also has those Cockaboose's that are pretty unique for tailgating. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/so...give-south-carolina-unique-gameday-tradition/

Went to RU Wisconsin a few years ago in the driving rain and stadium just as empty as RU in bad weather. Those who want to badmouth RU will but pretty much the same after the biggies, Michigan, PSU, OSU, Iowa and Nebby. Purdue maybe too but not as big.
Lane stadium began clearing out mid-3rd quarter tonight in Blacksburg. Why? Because it was a BLOWOUT on a Thursday night. ESPN cameras haven't been "panning" the stadium since.

I don't get the comments about students "NOT" going to the games. THEY ARE. 1st 3 games the student section was full to overflow. 4th was Wagner. 5th was God-awful weather for the game (yes, still lame that the ones who showed, left, I'm not arguing). Not an excuse, in my book, but nonetheless. Bottom line it would have been PACKED with any kind of decent weather that day. OSU? There will be 12K+ in the stadium.

The "problem" is getting them ALL into the game by the time the team comes out of the locker room AND keeping them in the stadium. Both, naturally with more winning and better home games (see: games vs good opponents that are exciting to the end), will change soon enough again. I hope. In the meantime, as you know, I'm 100% for "gimmicks" to get them in earlier and make them stay longer!!

The tailgating thing....yeah....it's a conundrum for sure. Wish there was a simple solution but, bottom line, not sure if there is one at this time.

#3 OSU at Wisconsin....midway through 1st quarter....top 10 rows of Wisconsin student section STILL not not filled in yet (for about 4 sections; 5 rows for the rest).

It’s a much bigger student section than at RU

Not sure what point you’re trying to make ?
That means nothing.

I'm just continuing to back up the FACT that most schools have trouble getting all students into the stadium for KO. 5,000....10,000 .....15,000....it's still a "%" thing, right? Some here seem to think this is a "Rutgers" thing but it isn't. Not even close.

FYI - Camp Randall student section holds 14K so I wouldn't call it "much" bigger. Bigger, sure, BUT they are Wisconsin...and since the 1993 have been to The Rose Bowl 7 - SEVEN - times. No other B1G team has come close in that time span (USC has appeared 6 times however). Just since 2016 they've gone to a Rose, Cotton AND Orange Bowl. We come anywhere close to that and we'd be able to fill a 14,000 seat student section every single Saturday. Shit...they've gone to bowl games 21-straight seasons now!

Reactions: Local Shill
UCLA is another interesting "case study" of sorts with overall attendance. When they're good, they will draw HUGE crowds to The Rose Bowl (see: tonight). When they're bad, like us, just the opposite (and they have a pretty damn good history). Their students won't even show up for early season day games in the heat.

On cue: "UCLA student section....they got here a little late, but they showed up" - Fowler

Interesting: they do the "light show" at The Rose Bowl now! NEVER thought I'd see the day!

Having terrible crowds at home games is very much a "Rutgers thing." Both the Wagner and Michigan State crowds were embarrassing despite the fraudulent attendance numbers announced by the athletic department. Can't wait to see the actual turnstile numbers, which Politi said he's in the process of obtaining.

No Rutgers fan should be criticizing football attendance at other schools. We might have the lowest actual attendance in the Big Ten.

@RUBlackout - I literally brought up our most recent two home games. The team had a good record going into both those games so there's no excuse. Attendance was pathetic at both and all the spin in the world on this board won't change that.

Last edited:
Having terrible crowds at home games is very much a "Rutgers thing." Both the Wagner and Michigan State crowds were embarrassing despite the fraudulent attendance numbers announced by the athletic department. Can't wait to see the actual turnstile numbers, which Politi said he's in the process of obtaining.

No Rutgers fan should be criticizing football attendance at other schools. We might have the lowest actual attendance in the Big Ten.
Could you have picked two of the worst games to associate attendance to....
Wagner is a High School game and better weather which implies many fairweather fans to do ANYTHING else
MSU was setup for a big attendance but weather was miserable and our fans(mostly fairweather still) will look for any reason not to go including Homecoming which there was a ton if interest for

Why dont we wait until OSU and then you can start chirping. MY biggest issue is our cheap fanbase selling tickets to OSU fans to make 2x their costs

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT