ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs need to do something special to get students in Piscataway early for Ohio State

Could you have picked two of the worst games to associate attendance to....
Wagner is a High School game and better weather which implies many fairweather fans to do ANYTHING else
MSU was setup for a big attendance but weather was miserable and our fans(mostly fairweather still) will look for any reason not to go including Homecoming which there was a ton if interest for

Why dont we wait until OSU and then you can start chirping. MY biggest issue is our cheap fanbase selling tickets to OSU fans to make 2x their costs
he's not wrong and you picking osu as your example is as disingenuous as him picking wagner

I told everyone years ago that the drive to raise prices and the seat matrix would keep people away. RU doesn't try to fill the seats where in the smartest practical sense instead, relies on gimmicks etc ala boardwalk. The product on the field has been disappointing, it's not cheap, parking isn't great I mean there is a myriad of reasons that keep casual fans away. Need to be realistic here.

RU should be giving tickets away to every hs and middle school it can to fill the seats and build a future fanbase. beats having empty seats, low concession stand rev etc etc

he's not wrong and you picking osu as your example is as disingenuous as him picking wagner

I told everyone years ago that the drive to raise prices and the seat matrix would keep people away. RU doesn't try to fill the seats where in the smartest practical sense instead, relies on gimmicks etc ala boardwalk. The product on the field has been disappointing, it's not cheap, parking isn't great I mean there is a myriad of reasons that keep casual fans away. Need to be realistic here.

RU should be giving tickets away to every hs and middle school it can to fill the seats and build a future fanbase. beats having empty seats, low concession stand rev etc etc
I agree with this.
Yes OSU game is a bad pick on the opposite side of the pendulum but goes to your point--its all about winning and right now we have 6 wins and our bowl eligible. There is a lot more interest now. You could have taken any team next week AND good weather and you will see a much more solid turnout.
Also Jets/Giants play today at 1pm on CBS--no doubt there will be ads for OSU/RU next week and that should hopefully find some more interest for people in the state

I agree with this.
Yes OSU game is a bad pick on the opposite side of the pendulum but goes to your point--its all about winning and right now we have 6 wins and our bowl eligible. There is a lot more interest now. You could have taken any team next week AND good weather and you will see a much more solid turnout.
Also Jets/Giants play today at 1pm on CBS--no doubt there will be ads for OSU/RU next week and that should hopefully find some more interest for people in the state
I think we need more media buzz and should have a concerted effort by the school to foster, promote, use those efforts to support media love. we just don't sell ourselves well and there is zero media in state on RU being bowl eligible. Few even realize it

problem with RU is we hire cheap, we hire the wrong people, we hire dolts. No one is impressive in our offices running these types of things imho

Oh my we have been through this so many times yet it bears repeating…
Attendance is a lagging indicator. Our good results this year will result in higher attendance next year. Been there done that.

If somehow win 2 more we will see a huge increase in demand.

Casual RU fans only really sign up when we are a proven winner.

Reactions: ruinac
I think we need more media buzz and should have a concerted effort by the school to foster, promote, use those efforts to support media love. we just don't sell ourselves well and there is zero media in state on RU being bowl eligible. Few even realize it

problem with RU is we hire cheap, we hire the wrong people, we hire dolts. No one is impressive in our offices running these types of things imho
But when those who have offered their expertise on these matters pro bono, the response has been…”Nah, we’re good. We know what we’re doing.”

Sometimes giving back doesn’t just mean writing a check.

And @Scarlet16E is right about attendance being a lagging indicator.

Oh my we have been through this so many times yet it bears repeating…
Attendance is a lagging indicator. Our good results this year will result in higher attendance next year. Been there done that.

If somehow win 2 more we will see a huge increase in demand.

Casual RU fans only really sign up when we are a proven winner.
Attendance took time to decline during the Flood and Ash years and will take time to come back. There are plenty of unsold OSU seats from RU on StubHub.

The suggestion for one massive dedicated/specific tailgate area for all Rutgers students is not only silly, but stupid.

Please provide me examples of where this is being done at other schools the size of Rutgers. I think I have only seen one example mentioned so far for Greek life (South Carolina).

One massive/dedicated area for all Rutgers students is a recipe for disaster. Do you guys realize is going to happen when you put a few thousand drunk 18-22 years olds together in one spot? And if you make it 21 and older than basically 3/4ths of the students wouldn’t be able to attend and it would defeat the purpose.

Think fights, puking, blackouts, and emergency services intervention needed. All captured on video for viral streaming Twitter and TikToc.

Rutgers doesn’t need its name or liability with that.

The only way for student tailgating to work is for it to happen organically across the lots and for the police to be hands off but step in when needed to target/reprimand the rowdy groups. Basically the way it used to be until kids got a little too wreckless and the Middlesex Sheriffs office started going on power trips and going out of their way to write up underage kids holding a red solo cup (but behaving).

Reactions: sct1111
The suggestion for one massive dedicated/specific tailgate area for all Rutgers students is not only silly, but stupid.

Please provide me examples of where this is being done at other schools the size of Rutgers. I think I have only seen one example mentioned so far for Greek life (South Carolina).

One massive/dedicated area for all Rutgers students is a recipe for disaster. Do you guys realize is going to happen when you put a few thousand drunk 18-22 years olds together in one spot? And if you make it 21 and older than basically 3/4ths of the students wouldn’t be able to attend and it would defeat the purpose.

Think fights, blackouts, puking and hospital visits. All captured on Twitter and TikToc.

The only way for student tailgating to work is for it to happen organically across the lots and for the police to be hands off but step in when needed to target/reprimand the rowdy groups.
It happened here in the past.

The spread out thing I doubt ever happens with the way it’s set up now.

Think fights, puking, blackouts, and emergency services intervention needed. All captured on video for viral streaming Twitter and TikToc.

The only way for student tailgating to work is for it to happen organically across the lots and for the police to be hands off but step in when needed to target/reprimand the rowdy groups. Basically the way it used to be until kids got a little too wreckless and the Middlesex Sheriffs office started going on power trips and going out of their way to write up underage kids holding a red solo cup (but behaving).
None of that stuff has happened here before, no not at all…

It happened here in the past.

The spread out thing I doubt ever happens with the way it’s set up now.

Yes I’m aware it happened here in the past I’m asking for people to provide examples at other schools the size of Rutgers where there is a school sponsored/organized tailgate area dedicated for the entire student body.

Schools sponsored/organized are the key words here.

None of that stuff has happened here before, no not at all…

Of course this stuff happens at Rutgers but it’s going to be viewed a lot differently when it’s happening in a school sponsored area for thousands of students every other week.

Yes I’m aware it happened here in the past I’m asking for people to provide examples at other schools the size of Rutgers where there is a school sponsored/organized tailgate area dedicated for the entire student body.

Schools sponsored/organized are the key words here.
Then why can’t it again?

Johnson Park, not our property. Can’t happen.

Spread out, all over. Probably too expensive…for those we’re talking about.

Intramural Fields area. Maybe do something for the field turf, like keep it roped off. But that is is best spot overall…lighting, fencing, bathrooms and real grass for most of it. It could be a more mature Boardwalk type set up.

Then why can’t it again?

Johnson Park, not our property. Can’t happen.

Spread out, all over. Probably too expensive…for those we’re talking about.

Intramural Fields area. Maybe do something for the field turf, like keep it roped off. But that is is best spot overall…lighting, fencing, bathrooms and real grass for most of it. It could be a more mature Boardwalk type set up.

So you could not provide an example of another school the size of Rutgers that has a school sponsored/organized tailgating area available for all students (35K).

That’s all I was asking.

I’m thinking this doesn’t really occur across the country because it’s not a great idea.

Reactions: Jimpeg
So you could not provide an example of another school the size of Rutgers that has a school sponsored/organized tailgating area available for all students (35K).

That’s all I was asking.

I’m thinking this doesn’t really occur across the country because it’s not a great idea.
I gave you an example of what was done here in the past and what could be done here now.

It doesn’t matter what other schools do because we all know Rutgers is somehow “different” than every other school in the country when it comes to stuff like this.

And because of that “difference” this type of discussion will go on and on in circles and circles.

The simplest solution is probably your first idea of spreading it out. But then you have those who party too much vs. those who complain too much.

The “force protection” thing really is over the top when it comes to our game day operations. That right there has put such a damper on things it might never return to what some would consider “normalcy” around here.

Reactions: SF88
I gave you an example of what was done here in the past and what could be done here now.

It doesn’t matter what other schools do because we all know Rutgers is somehow “different” than every other school in the country when it comes to stuff like this.

And because of that “difference” this type of discussion will go on and on in circles and circles.

The simplest solution is probably your first idea of spreading it out. But then you have those who party too much vs. those who complain too much.

The “force protection” thing really is over the top when it comes to our game day operations. That right there has put such a damper on things it might never return to what some would consider “normalcy” around here.
It’s doesn’t have to be “school sponsored”, if RU would allot a certain number of parking passes to student groups. The colored lots are basically reserved for season ticket holders in priority point/donor order. Students don’t have access. Simply allow them to purchase parking passes and they will figure out the rest. Our problem is the stadium is across a river in a different zip code from the main campus and all of the off campus students. Apples and oranges to other campuses

Reactions: S_Janowski
It’s doesn’t have to be “school sponsored”, if RU would allot a certain number of parking passes to student groups. The colored lots are basically reserved for season ticket holders in priority point/donor order. Students don’t have access. Simply allow them to purchase parking passes and they will figure out the rest. Our problem is the stadium is across a river in a different zip code from the main campus and all of the off campus students. Apples and oranges to other campuses
If that could be arranged then the idea put forth by @S_Janowski could work.

Do we really sell out every single lot with every available spot? I don’t think so, because I know so.😉

I think a student lottery for something like this could work.

Hmmm, I think we might be on to something here.

Reactions: S_Janowski
But when those who have offered their expertise on these matters pro bono, the response has been…”Nah, we’re good. We know what we’re doing.”

Sometimes giving back doesn’t just mean writing a check.

And @Scarlet16E is right about attendance being a lagging indicator.
oh you could not be more right!!!!!!!!!!!!! man I've a story that would spin heads but you hit the nail on the head

If that could be arranged then the idea put forth by @S_Janowski could work.

Do we really sell out every single lot with every available spot? I don’t think so, because I know so.😉

I think a student lottery for something like this could work.

Hmmm, I think we might be on to something here.
The issue becomes a frat gets 3 passes and shows up with 150-200 people next to your family tailgate. Better to create an area. The Alley was a great idea, it just needed more controls. Simply gently police it and take out the drunk and stupid folks. Allow the other 98% of students to enjoy a responsible fun college GameDay. I have more faith in the students

Reactions: RUPete
Could you have picked two of the worst games to associate attendance to....
Wagner is a High School game and better weather which implies many fairweather fans to do ANYTHING else
MSU was setup for a big attendance but weather was miserable and our fans(mostly fairweather still) will look for any reason not to go including Homecoming which there was a ton if interest for

Why dont we wait until OSU and then you can start chirping. MY biggest issue is our cheap fanbase selling tickets to OSU fans to make 2x their costs
He’s on moniker #133 or so….don’t bother.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUBlackout
The issue becomes a frat gets 3 passes and shows up with 150-200 people next to your family tailgate. Better to create an area. The Alley was a great idea, it just needed more controls. Simply gently police it and take out the drunk and stupid folks. Allow the other 98% of students to enjoy a responsible fun college GameDay. I have more faith in the students
If you have more faith in them then putting them with everyone else could work. 🙂

But agree with the idea of a specific spot is good one too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT