ADVERTISEMENT

I’m in the minority here…but I would prefer to keep this group INTACT

Or play the better more athletic PG in Simpson. Pike knew the answer but values loyalty and it cost him and us. Jalen shouldn’t have touched the floor but depth was a problem.
Did you watch the entire season?

People seem to forget when Paul was out early in the season, Simpson was not good running the offense at all. He struggled almost the entire B1G schedule until he broke out at the very end. He wasn't ready

People seem to forget when Paul was out early in the season, Simpson was not good running the offense at all. He struggled almost the entire B1G schedule until he broke out at the very end. He wasn't ready
He was a TRUE freshman and has the season went on and used more properly on the ball he showed more promise. Agreed about struggling but all freshman do and he was being played out of position off the ball.

He was not ready all season, he’ll is still not ready but he’s our best option and was the best option all year but especially in the last 8 games.

If Paul returns, he will start just like Caleb.Pikiell likes continuity.

Caleb is a DPOY caliber and we had no depth to begin with. Of course he was going to start. He can play 1-4.

In Paul’s case, I have no idea about starting but I don’t know what to tell those of you who thinks he wouldn’t deserve to average 27+ mpg (starter minutes) on our projected return roster and would only get it because Pike is being nice.

Let’s go position by position (forget about starting - who cares about that - each game is 40 minutes). Do you really expect Simpson to play more than 25 mpg at point? There’s no way. Besides getting a rest, foul trouble, etc. Simpson will play off ball sometimes. Based on what’s returning - Paul would get every second Simpson does not get at the 1. Not debatable. That’s 15+ min minimum. Now move to the 2. Cam isn’t going to play the whole game. Again - it would be foolish to assume frosh Davis will come in and get those minutes over Paul based on nothing. Smart money would split it 30 mpg for Cam. Paul getting the other 10. That’s already 25 mpg. There’s no way Paul doesn’t also slide to the 3 for a few minutes a game min.

Even the last few games he wasn’t effective running the offense he was able to get his own shot. He shot poorly but our offense was so bad at that point his inefficient shot were better than what we had been getting

Even the last few games he wasn’t effective running the offense he was able to get his own shot. He shot poorly but our offense was so bad at that point his inefficient shot were better than what we had been getting
We need his efficiency to take a jump next year which it likely will. Cam and Griffiths are legit floor spacers. Simpson also needs to be able to drive and kick it to them when they are open

I most definitely do not think that you are in the “minority.” I think the ones who want to see things “rebuilt, so-to-speak, are the ones in the “minority.” As usual, however, just annoyingly vocal about it. Oh…they’re also incredibly shortsighted…and wrong.

We need his efficiency to take a jump next year which it likely will. Cam and Griffiths are legit floor spacers. Simpson also needs to be able to drive and kick it to them when they are open
Why do you think it likely will? His favorite shot seems to be a mid range dribble pull up which is inherently inefficient
I’m more optimistic on the kicks to shooters Than ever being an efficient scorer

Why do you think it likely will? His favorite shot seems to be a mid range dribble pull up which is inherently inefficient
I’m more optimistic on the kicks to shooters Than ever being an efficient scorer
Bc he shot 37% and 21% from 3. Bc he was a true freshman. I would be shocked if those numbers don't improve since they are so low

Guys

I’ve watched enough ncaa games this year to know that when we’re healthy , (including mag), we were right there to be very competitive in the ncaa tournament

So …I’m not sure why, other than the bitter snub on selection Sunday coming from the fall off when we slumped post Mag, we don’t want to come back a year wiser , more developed and make a run

We were 9-5 (and shoukd have been 10-4) with our full roster this year , and only two of those wins were OOC cupcakes in late December .

Certainly , Caleb will be missed on the defensive end and toughness ….the reality was miller and Palmquist didn’t get off the bench untik mag got hurt

So, from our core 7 (Paul, cam, Caleb, Mawot, cliff , Derek and Aundre)…6 return

And we add
Gavin Griftths
Baye Ndongo
JaMichael Davis

And hopefully a more developed Antoine wolfolk

Let’s add a 5th year guard and go with it …and save the scholarships for the class of 2024

This has the makings of a very very good team for 2023-2024…picking up from where we left off from the Madison square garden win before injuries reallt got us….that’s much deeper and potentially doesn’t need to thread the needle with such a small holeto be a potential sweet 16 team

Sure …it requires cliff coming back, Paul getting healthy and coming back ready to finish this out right , it requires Hyatt coming back , and Mawot gettinf and staying healthy …

Sone ifs…but I think we are better off staying the course …we were close until the lack of depth really got exposed ..and I think we have fixed that for next year

Let’s stay the course ….
I agree
The three players who are leaving are not going to hurt this years team, and the additions will help
Keep Paul for sure

Caleb is a DPOY caliber and we had no depth to begin with. Of course he was going to start. He can play 1-4.

In Paul’s case, I have no idea about starting but I don’t know what to tell those of you who thinks he wouldn’t deserve to average 27+ mpg (starter minutes) on our projected return roster and would only get it because Pike is being nice.

Let’s go position by position (forget about starting - who cares about that - each game is 40 minutes). Do you really expect Simpson to play more than 25 mpg at point? There’s no way. Besides getting a rest, foul trouble, etc. Simpson will play off ball sometimes. Based on what’s returning - Paul would get every second Simpson does not get at the 1. Not debatable. That’s 15+ min minimum. Now move to the 2. Cam isn’t going to play the whole game. Again - it would be foolish to assume frosh Davis will come in and get those minutes over Paul based on nothing. Smart money would split it 30 mpg for Cam. Paul getting the other 10. That’s already 25 mpg. There’s no way Paul doesn’t also slide to the 3 for a few minutes a game min.
Noah will be our starting PG, and will play 25+ minutes a game, so no more than 20 minutes and probably less available at backup point guard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT