ADVERTISEMENT

I’m in the minority here…but I would prefer to keep this group INTACT

Mag was the starting 4 so not sure why you are saying he is our 3. He's better suited for the 4 offensively although I think he can guard the 3 or 4 very effectively defensively
This shows me you don’t understand several things. First, you call Mag a 4. You only see it that way because of the Caleb-Paul(favoritism)-Spencer starting backcourt shitshow. Second, as I said above, there isn’t any difference in 3s and 4s in modern offenses. Perhaps there’s a distinction on defense with the 3 on the better wing player like Caleb did. So, Mag takes that role. The 3. Certianly not Matador D Mulcahy. There’s no place in a functioning modern offense or defense for Paul as a starter. Hyatt is the only 4 we have, Griffiths development uncertain. Hopefully a Donyell Marshall type of player. Athletic 4 and shooter. But for now, Hyatt is our only 4.

In 1990 Woolfolk is a 4 like Oakley. That role is no more. Now, 4 us Hyatt’s skill set.

Last edited:
Everybody’s looking backward, Pike is basically re-inventing his team, going with smaller,quicker guards who can drive the ball and also get their own shot, People coming in can run the court and there is much more team speed.
This year Derrick, woolfolk and Chol can all run, next year you get Baye, JaMichael, And Griffin, who can run the floor, if Cliff is back and Mag is fully recovered, this is a different team, basically palmquist, Miller, and Reiber don’t fit,
This team will look different and play differently than what we have looked like in the past. Year end Derrick provided a preview, this really helps Cam with the kick out opportunities and having another reliable shooter like Griffin will really help to open the offense

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Yes we are looking backward because you can’t build a Cadillac with a Chevy parts bin. Changing a team’s DNA takes a few years of changing recruiting, even with portal adds. Pike either by design or due to failed recruiting plays a defense-first scheme which wasn’t good enough this year. Time to start a new chapter and new scheme. Hyatt fits, Paul doesn’t, not as a starter at least. I hope Pike counsels him to hang up the kicks because he shouldn’t be part of the needed rebuild

Yes we are looking backward because you can’t build a Cadillac with a Chevy parts bin. Changing a team’s DNA takes a few years of changing recruiting, even with portal adds. Pike either by design or due to failed recruiting plays a defense-first scheme which wasn’t good enough this year. Time to start a new chapter and new scheme. Hyatt fits, Paul doesn’t, not as a starter at least. I hope Pike counsels him to hang up the kicks because he shouldn’t be part of the needed rebuild

The only reason we play a defense first scheme is because we don’t have the talent to do otherwise. We saw the lack of scoring this season. I expect as we improve the talent level we will gradually change the scheme to be more offensive oriented.

Fair points, but Mag can probably handle as well as McConnell did (turnovers at the worst possible times). Mag is our 3. So, as above yes Hyatt and Paul are the leftovers at the 4, so yea same position. Hyatt the starter, Griffiths backing him up in November. Need a backup 1 to join Davis.

If we get a portal forward better than Hyatt, then the above changes.

No - he really can’t. I think you may be confusing distribution skills (and general PG attributes) with simply being able to protect the basketball in the backcourt when pressured. It’s one of those things that won’t noticeably improve your offense but without enough guys who can do it, winning becomes very difficult (see Temple game). By the end of the season, we had 4.5 players on the roster who could be trusted in this role - Paul, Caleb, Simpson, Miller (except he was horrific at everything else) and sometimes Cam (he’s a better ball handler than I’d thought he’d be for a 2 but we really don’t want him to be a main guy moving the ball because we want him getting open for kick outs as a shooter). You didn’t see Hyatt or Mag turning it over in the backcourt as much as last season because Pike didn’t play them there anymore.

The bottom line is if Paul returns - he will be playing every second that Simpson and Cam sit at the 1-2 unless we land someone better in the portal. Hyatt isn’t in the mix for those minutes. That’s 20 minutes right there more for Paul or a replacement over Hyatt and it’s simply a position based decision. So even if you were right and Hyatt played more minutes than Paul at the 3 Paul would still play more overall minutes based on his position versatility.

This is what we were when we were healthy. #10 and Paul was our point guard and there was little concern about him as PG.

We were 133rd offensively, 2nd defensively at that point.
Nobody was saying Paul was bad offensively because our D was do good it didn't matter
We're not going to be in the top 10 defensively next season
We need to be much better offensively

We were 133rd offensively, 2nd defensively at that point.
Nobody was saying Paul was bad offensively because our D was do good it didn't matter
We're not going to be in the top 10 defensively next season
We need to be much better offensively
3 things in my mind are important……

1. You make the NCAA tournament
2. You are healthy and fresh in March
3. You are playing your best basketball in March

I don’t care the seed or the offense/defense balance of the team.

Everyone is trying to say what a team has to look like to make the S16,E8 or F4 and morph the current teams in to them.

There is enormous parity and completely different type of teams. San Diego State and Tennesse show you can win with defense. People can look up the numbers San Diego State is not a good perimeter shooting team. They win keeping games in the low 60s just like us.

The only reason we play a defense first scheme is because we don’t have the talent to do otherwise. We saw the lack of scoring this season. I expect as we improve the talent level we will gradually change the scheme to be more offensive oriented.
No!

We play good defense because we play good defense.

Reactions: mugrat86

Everyone is trying to say what a team has to look like to make the S16,E8 or F4 and morph the current teams in to them.

There is enormous parity and completely different type of teams. San Diego State and Tennesse show you can win with defense. People can look up the numbers San Diego State is not a good perimeter shooting team. They win keeping games in the low 60s just like us.
Mostly agree but I care About the seed
I agree style of play is being overrated right now especially looking at results of a fluke single elimination tournament but given our roster changes we won’t have elite D we need to have top 50 offense

This is why I said blowing the houston game was a bigger deal than people realize. Most non-top 10 programs, their success and ow they are viewed is based on making a consistent average P6 team accomplishment (making tournament) but importantly making essentially ONE tournament run a decade. It’s all about capitalizing on your opportunity, they don’t come often.

With the exception of UCONN……

You can look at the 64 games so far and go in and flip 1 possession in every game and the NCAA tournament looks completely different.
That’s one of several reasons you can’t get caught up overemphasizing NCAA tournament results

Reactions: kcg88
This thread is absolutely wild and intense with insanity.

Bac and others still haven't committed to understanding basic principles.

A) this was never a Mulcahy or Hyatt disease of a discussion.....they played 2 different positions.

B) Hyatt can be replaced or someone named Baye Ngongo and Mawot Mag.

C) if Mulcahy returns, what is his role?? This is a giant leap of faith he can score, will score and cannot push the ball to help Gavin, Cliff or Ngongo get baskets in transition. We cannot generate anything cheap or easy, even if the defense is better with Mulcahy than Hyatt, so what you get better defense, if you do nothing with it.

D) The breakdowns by Hyatt on defense are hyperfocused, because the team gets NOTHING done in transition. There are breakdowns on defense on half the possessions in college basketball, they're only highlighted because we don't score, with Mulcahy being the primary focus of the offense, handling the ball.

There as of today, a role that is carved out for Hyatt/Ngongo/Mag.....if the goal is to shed Hyatt for Mulcahy and slot Mulcahy into a Mulcahy/Mag/Ngongo role as a corner 3 point shooter, off the ball, that's fine too.

The premise that some fans have become increasingly bad at, is ignoring our competition.

A) Mulcahy is the lowest scoring starting guard, and yes he has a lot of assists, but let's not mistake him for K-States Marquis Nowell or another scoring guard who also playmakes.

B) if you slot Mulcahy at the 3/4, you reduce the minutes of Ngongo, who I am pretty certain, can play and contribute early.

C) if you play Mulcahy at the Point, Simpson minutes get reduced and we get less in offense and transition and defensive quickness (Mulcahy, Spencer and Gavin, with Mag off an ACL, isn't likely to get many stops on defense, 1 on 1.

D) If you slot Mulcahy at the 3/4, we need 100 to 125 3 point attempts from that position. Is he the best option for that....?? Not really.

The best solution, is to find a better guard, play that guard and have that player help Simpson....and allow Gavin and Ngongo to have minutes at the 3 and 4. If that guard pushes the tempo and is a better on the ball defender (especially on the perimeter), RU will be better than last year.

We have to stop this narrative that the season is 20 games, when it's 35 games...that the B1G season is 11 or 12 games, when it's 21 to 23. What we did in the 1st 20 games was not sustainable from an offense or depth perspective. This new roster needs better guard play and the biggest minute player in question is Mulcahy. This is or was never a Hyatt/Mulcahy item. Our backcourt needs to help Gavin Griffiths become more effective and it's highly unlikely he will find open shots, unless we are better in transition....and that also helps Cam Spencer as well. We need to help the 2 best shooters with a faster paced tandem at guard, who can also score, so teams don't clamp down on Spencer and Gavin and leave it up to Mulcahy to score. That was the end result of 3-8 down the stretch.....Mulcahy's inability to shoot/score on a consistent basis.

A) this was never a Mulcahy or Hyatt disease of a discussion.....they played 2 different positions.

C) if Mulcahy returns, what is his role?? This is a giant leap of faith he can score, will score and cannot push the ball to help Gavin, Cliff or Ngongo get baskets in transition. We cannot generate anything cheap or easy, even if the defense is better with Mulcahy than Hyatt, so what you get better defense, if you do nothing with it.

D) The breakdowns by Hyatt on defense are hyperfocused, because the team gets NOTHING done in transition. There are breakdowns on defense on half the possessions in college basketball, they're only highlighted because we don't score, with Mulcahy being the primary focus of the offense, handling the ball.

There as of today, a role that is carved out for Hyatt/Ngongo/Mag.....if the goal is to shed Hyatt for Mulcahy and slot Mulcahy into a Mulcahy/Mag/Ngongo role as a corner 3 point shooter, off the ball, that's fine too.

The premise that some fans have become increasingly bad at, is ignoring our competition.

A) Mulcahy is the lowest scoring starting guard, and yes he has a lot of assists, but let's not mistake him for K-States Marquis Nowell or another scoring guard who also playmakes.

B) if you slot Mulcahy at the 3/4, you reduce the minutes of Ngongo, who I am pretty certain, can play and contribute early.

C) if you play Mulcahy at the Point, Simpson minutes get reduced and we get less in offense and transition and defensive quickness (Mulcahy, Spencer and Gavin, with Mag off an ACL, isn't likely to get many stops on defense, 1 on 1.

D) If you slot Mulcahy at the 3/4, we need 100 to 125 3 point attempts from that position. Is he the best option for that....?? Not really.

The best solution, is to find a better guard, play that guard and have that player help Simpson....and allow Gavin and Ngongo to have minutes at the 3 and 4. If that guard pushes the tempo and is a better on the ball defender (especially on the perimeter), RU will be better than last year.

We have to stop this narrative that the season is 20 games, when it's 35 games...that the B1G season is 11 or 12 games, when it's 21 to 23. What we did in the 1st 20 games was not sustainable from an offense or depth perspective. This new roster needs better guard play and the biggest minute player in question is Mulcahy. This is or was never a Hyatt/Mulcahy item. Our backcourt needs to help Gavin Griffiths become more effective and it's highly unlikely he will find open shots, unless we are better in transition....and that also helps Cam Spencer as well. We need to help the 2 best shooters with a faster paced tandem at guard, who can also score, so teams don't clamp down on Spencer and Gavin and leave it up to Mulcahy to score. That was the end result of 3-8 down the stretch.....Mulcahy's inability to shoot/score on a consistent basis.
Thank you

Pike himself has said he will adapt the scheme to the talent. The present style optimizes our chances for success.
"we're going to play a brand of basketball.. that is going to be very exciting...people often ask me, what is your brand... I'm gonna tell you what our brand is gonna be, it's gonna be win. We're gonna figure out a way to win, every job I've been at.. we've won the league by being the leading scoring team and then one year we won the league by being the best defensive team"

Mostly agree but I care About the seed
I agree style of play is being overrated right now especially looking at results of a fluke single elimination tournament but given our roster changes we won’t have elite D we need to have top 50 offense
Every time I think that we stay the same or only take a step back on D. I would tend to agree, but…..

We were playing like a Top 10 team when healthy with Paul as the PG, Simpson playing 10 minutes per game. Our offense was at best really bad, but we won.

Is that threading the needle? YES

Infuse 2-3 new players and that makes us so much better.

Paul dominating offensively for a month DID happen. It wasn’t fiction.

Is Giancarlo Stanton going to hit .210 again? (I sure hope so I hate the NY$ more than the NBA). Let’s not forget what Giancarlo and Paul are capable and have actually done in their career and not judge them based on what they did in their last month.

We were playing like a Top 10 team when healthy with Paul as the PG, Simpson playing 10 minutes per game. Our offense was at best really bad, but we won.

Is Giancarlo Stanton going to hit .210 again? (I sure hope so I hate the NY$ more than the NBA). Let’s not forget what Giancarlo and Paul are capable and have actually done in their career and not judge them based on what they did in their last month.
Paul Mulcahy career: 6.8ppg, 3.4rpg, 3.8 apg, 45% FG

Reactions: RUsojo
To me Paul is a culture guy and with all the new faces expected over the next few years we need guys to pass the torch who understand what buying in really means.

Most of this is true - except that the player whose 35 are being replacing played a blended mix of 1-4 throughout the season which Hyatt cannot do and Paul can.

Your right that Paul and Hyatt played different positions, but whether you agree or not, Pike considers Hyatt unplayable anywhere other than the 4 and only the 3 as an alternative is really up for debate.’ He cannot play even back up minutes at the 1-2. That’s why retaining Paul is much more important unless we hit a home run in the portal. Whether Paul starts or not, he would average 20+ minutes simply backing bother Simpson and Cam up unless someone we don’t yet know about ends up on our roster. There are then 80 minutes to go around at the 3 and 4. Paul would be a lock to fill 10 or so of them even if Hyatt played more minutes in those spots (there will surely be times where we want more perimeter ball movement). Absent a portal upgrade, Paul would be a lock to play 30+ minutes or so for this reason. Hyatt on the other hand, would have to not only beat Paul out for the bulk of these minutes but also compete with Baye, Mag and even possibly Wolf at the 4.

To me Paul is a culture guy and with all the new faces expected over the next few years we need guys to pass the torch who understand what buying in really means.

If Pike was constantly after Paul to shoot more and be more assertive offensively and he'd never do it. How bought in was he?

Reactions: RUsojo
If Pike was constantly after Paul to shoot more and be more assertive offensively and he'd never do it. How bought in was he?
Interesting question. I’ve seen people suggest a lot of similar things about Paul like his leadership, IQ etc.

We’ve all watched Paul play and seen his antics, turnovers, or wasted possessions. We seen spells of good downhill play or good composure. But I really don’t know what people see of Paul’s behavior on the court suggest he’s a great consistent leader. Certainly many acknowledge the leadership was lacking down the stretch in particular.

To be clear Paul does a lot of good for the team not arguing that. I just don’t see this senior leader full of intangibles when I watch his decision making and behavior on the floor. Maybe he served this role on our team but didn’t excel in it? Not sure can’t put my finger on the dynamic of actual action and narrative being seeemingly disproportionate but curious to hear what others think.

In hindsight I think I underrated Geos contributions as a leader of the team last season.

Interesting question. I’ve seen people suggest a lot of similar things about Paul like his leadership, IQ etc.

We’ve all watched Paul play and seen his antics, turnovers, or wasted possessions. We seen spells of good downhill play. But I really don’t know what people see of Paul’s behavior on the court suggest he’s a good leader. Certainly many acknowledge the leadership was lacking down the stretch in particular.
Yup - many things people say about Paul seem like wish-casting.
AND I think Paul has been great for RU, so I'm not trying to hammer him, I'm just saying people put stuff on him that I don't see at all and then act like I'm crazy or a bad person or have no basketball knowledge for not seeing it.

Reactions: rume

We’ve all watched Paul play and seen his antics, turnovers, or wasted possessions. We seen spells of good downhill play or good composure. But I really don’t know what people see of Paul’s behavior on the court suggest he’s a great consistent leader. Certainly many acknowledge the leadership was lacking down the stretch in particular.

To be clear Paul does a lot of good for the team not arguing that. I just don’t see this senior leader full of intangibles when I watch his decision making and behavior on the floor. Maybe he served this role on our team but didn’t excel in it? Not sure can’t put my finger on the dynamic of actual action and narrative being seeemingly disproportionate but curious to hear what others think.

In hindsight I think I underrated Geos contributions as a leader of the team last season.
Paul was an absolute enigma this year. We missed him mightily in Temple and Miami game and he played very well in the early part of the season. Figuring out why he collapsed is instrumental in judging his game. Was it injuries? Too many minutes? Mental? All of the above? Personally I think it was all of the above and he could be extremely valuable when healthy and playing no more than 28 minutes per game

You lost me at playing like a Too 10 team when Paul was healthy. They were playing good basketball but they were never close to Top 10.

Don’t disagree with the premise that a healthy Paul is a much different player and can effectively run the offense.

You lost me at playing like a Too 10 team when Paul was healthy. They were playing good basketball but they were never close to Top 10.

Don’t disagree with the premise that a healthy Paul is a much different player and can effectively run the offense.
Did you click the link?

Paul was an absolute enigma this year. We missed him mightily in Temple and Miami game and he played very well in the early part of the season. Figuring out why he collapsed is instrumental in judging his game. Was it injuries? Too many minutes? Mental? All of the above? Personally I think it was all of the above and he could be extremely valuable when healthy and playing no more than 28 minutes per game
This is everything

Reactions: Scangg
Yup - many things people say about Paul seem like wish-casting.
AND I think Paul has been great for RU, so I'm not trying to hammer him, I'm just saying people put stuff on him that I don't see at all and then act like I'm crazy or a bad person or have no basketball knowledge for not seeing it.
For me it is a idon'tknow casting.

I see the game differently than most....and it defintely doesn't mean I am right.

I like an offense that is balanced. We don't have to see each person have the ball in their hands 20% of the time, but I hate the Kansas State or Texas model of give the ball to the PG and have him make the plays.

Paul sort of fits in with my vision. I think when we, hopefully, upgrade some of the offensive pieces his strengths will be on display.

I can't stand the regurgeration of PPG statistics. If the goal is to get 70 points (in about 65 possessions) you can have the PG slot get 12.

12-16-16-10-16 adds to 70.

You take Cliff out of the equation than this is a totally different story.

Everybody’s looking backward, Pike is basically re-inventing his team, going with smaller,quicker guards who can drive the ball and also get their own shot, People coming in can run the court and there is much more team speed.
This year Derrick, woolfolk and Chol can all run, next year you get Baye, JaMichael, And Griffin, who can run the floor, if Cliff is back and Mag is fully recovered, this is a different team, basically palmquist, Miller, and Reiber don’t fit,
This team will look different and play differently than what we have looked like in the past. Year end Derrick provided a preview, this really helps Cam with the kick out opportunities and having another reliable shooter like Griffin will really help to open the offense
Good post.

We must have watched different press conferences after the Hofstra game. Contributing to team culture may not always translate into on court performance.

We must have watched different press conferences after the Hofstra game. Contributing to team culture may not always translate into on court performance.
That's changing the subject.

If Paul isn't back and I don't think he will be, it's at least partly due to Pike not wanting him back.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Would be a shocker if Hyatt wants to stay. Nothing will change. He will be miserable with 10 mins a game.

That's changing the subject.

If Paul isn't back and I don't think he will be, it's at least partly due to Pike not wanting him back.
Pike didn’t even answer more than a question or two about Hofstra it was less of a post game press conference and more of a media day vibe

This shows me you don’t understand several things. First, you call Mag a 4. You only see it that way because of the Caleb-Paul(favoritism)-Spencer starting backcourt shitshow. Second, as I said above, there isn’t any difference in 3s and 4s in modern offenses. Perhaps there’s a distinction on defense with the 3 on the better wing player like Caleb did. So, Mag takes that role. The 3. Certianly not Matador D Mulcahy. There’s no place in a functioning modern offense or defense for Paul as a starter. Hyatt is the only 4 we have, Griffiths development uncertain. Hopefully a Donyell Marshall type of player. Athletic 4 and shooter. But for now, Hyatt is our only 4.

In 1990 Woolfolk is a 4 like Oakley. That role is no more. Now, 4 us Hyatt’s skill set.
Mag being a 4 has literally nothing to do with Paul and Caleb. The difference between a 3 and 4 is you want your 3 to be better ball handler which is not Mag or Hyatt's strength and the reason they are both better suited as a 4 on offense. Not sure why you think Hyatt is a 4 and not Mag

Agree on Wolf and I've made the same argument. The old school power forward isn't what want

We want long athletes at the 4 like Mag Ndongo and potentially Chol if he pans out

I think you’re selling Mag short. He can handle well enough, certainly as good as Caleb.

It was just not Mag’s role this year due the aforementioned backcourt shitshow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT