ADVERTISEMENT

I’m in the minority here…but I would prefer to keep this group INTACT

If Hyatt turned up court with the ball at Minnesota instead of passing back to Paul, we avoid our worst loss and very well could have danced. I won't promise it because the committee apparently had a mindset of limiting B1G bids.

Hyatt might not be happy with fewer shots and minutes. One of his postgame interviews after a win gave me that impression. I cannot say for sure. But he is NOT an outside shooting threat despite having a few good games. He is NOT a plus defender. He scored because he had a high usage rate IMO. If he is back, I will root for him to continue his growth. If he transfers, I think what we got from him this year is relatively easy to replace on the portal.

Hawk, you've been anti-Paul pretty much all season so I am not surprised to see it here. I don't think it is a "Paul or Hyatt" decision either, as each has different pluses and minuses. Paul's shoulder and later on his back were clearly issues all year long. If he returns, I agree it should be as the 2nd string PG and a point forward, playing fewer minutes.

Bring in more overall talent and then play the best but be fair to the rest.
If Hyatt didn’t go for 10 pts 5reb 3asst 2stl 1to 50% from the field in 32 minutes we lose by more. The blame on Hyatt for losing Minnesota is insane especially because he did exactly what is coached and got the ball into his senior point guard on the move, who then proceeded to throw a cross court pass with a timeout in his back pocket. Smh. They Hyatt bias is unreal.

Let’s not compare Hyatt and Mulcahy. Oskar moved ahead of Aundre.

The debate is Paul and his flaws and whether a team can win with a player like him. How much of his poor play was because of his injury?

I value a player who will get the ball to others in good spots. If we have a team with more firepower we can certainly be OK with a guy who scores 7 PPG and only takes wide open 3s.

I can’t answer what happened to Paul in the 2nd half. Not many were questioning Paul as our PG in the 1st half of the year.
I think we will see in the next few weeks that it's a moot point. All signs point to Paul either hitting portal, going pro, or hanging them up.

Guys

I’ve watched enough ncaa games this year to know that when we’re healthy , (including mag), we were right there to be very competitive in the ncaa tournament

So …I’m not sure why, other than the bitter snub on selection Sunday coming from the fall off when we slumped post Mag, we don’t want to come back a year wiser , more developed and make a run

We were 9-5 (and shoukd have been 10-4) with our full roster this year , and only two of those wins were OOC cupcakes in late December .

Certainly , Caleb will be missed on the defensive end and toughness ….the reality was miller and Palmquist didn’t get off the bench untik mag got hurt

So, from our core 7 (Paul, cam, Caleb, Mawot, cliff , Derek and Aundre)…6 return

And we add
Gavin Griftths
Baye Ndongo
JaMichael Davis

And hopefully a more developed Antoine wolfolk

Let’s add a 5th year guard and go with it …and save the scholarships for the class of 2024

This has the makings of a very very good team for 2023-2024…picking up from where we left off from the Madison square garden win before injuries reallt got us….that’s much deeper and potentially doesn’t need to thread the needle with such a small holeto be a potential sweet 16 team

Sure …it requires cliff coming back, Paul getting healthy and coming back ready to finish this out right , it requires Hyatt coming back , and Mawot gettinf and staying healthy …

Sone ifs…but I think we are better off staying the course …we were close until the lack of depth really got exposed ..and I think we have fixed that for next year

Let’s stay the course ….
Great thread/talking point. Based on the thread title, I suppose you are a bit surprised that so many are in agreement (for the most part).

If Hyatt didn’t go for 10 pts 5reb 3asst 2stl 1to 50% from the field in 32 minutes we lose by more. The blame on Hyatt for losing Minnesota is insane especially because he did exactly what is coached and got the ball into his senior point guard on the move, who then proceeded to throw a cross court pass with a timeout in his back pocket. Smh. They Hyatt bias is unreal.

His defense was part of the reason we lost

You haven't even addressed being surpassed by Oskar in the rotation

Reactions: Scangg
His defense was part of the reason we lost

You haven't even addressed being surpassed by Oskar in the rotation
I did. I said Hyatt has had Pike change his role multiple times and he’s fine with it. Which is why bringing him back makes sense. You will not get someone in the portal in that role.

Pike has a history of playing slower players with different styles over faster ones but that’s a different discussion for another thread.

You won’t get someone in the portal willing to play 10 minutes off the bench better than Hyatt unless they are already on your roster.

I did. I said Hyatt has had Pike change his role multiple times and he’s fine with it. Which is why bringing him back makes sense. You will not get someone in the portal in that role.

Pike has a history of playing slower players with different styles over faster ones but that’s a different discussion for another thread.

You won’t get someone in the portal willing to play 10 minutes off the bench better than Hyatt unless they are already on your roster.

A healthy Paul with reduced minutes off the ball >>>>>>>> Andrew Hyatt.

A healthy Paul playing off the ball would bring way more than Hyatt. No offense to Hyatt but he is very easily replaceable.

Not sure why you would want to keep a guy so bad for 10 mins a game who would be on his 6th year.

Hyatt is very inconsistent, doesn’t do much very well and has lapses on defense often. And I mean this in the best way.

Who says we’re searching for a 10 minute guy? Hyatt would’ve played a lot more if his defense wasn’t sub par.

Reactions: Kbee3

A healthy Paul playing off the ball would bring way more than Hyatt. No offense to Hyatt but he is very easily replaceable.

Not sure why you would want to keep a guy so bad for 10 mins a game who would be on his 6th year.

Hyatt is very inconsistent, doesn’t do much very well and has lapses on defense often. And I mean this in the best way.
This 100%. Paul is also more versatile. Can slide from 1 to stretch 4 on both sides of the ball. Hyatt is a liability at all positions except the 4.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Simpson was extremely inefficient but he had the speed and a shooters mentality. We're going to struggle if he's averaging 15 shots a game next year.

I have no faith pike will do the right thing if Paul comes back and he struggles.

I'd be less nervous if Hyatt came back. He's a willing shooter and pike has shown he will make the right move if he's off.

I’m sorry but I don’t buy it. He’s not allowed to dribble the ball? Then why is he out there? And do I want a guy on the team who can’t do simple basketball maneuver like turn and dribble the ball on his own at the end of the game? Nope. I’m sorry for how this sounds but I can’t get over what Hyatt did at the end of that game and he needs to finish his career somewhere else where he can get some significant minutes because it shouldn’t be at Rutgers next season. As for Paul, he has been here for 4 full seasons. He cant come back next year and be the primary ball handler. But I think he will be back because he wants to end his career the right way and not end it with the NIT.

my feeling here is 1) there is no way Pike reduces Pauls minutes 2) I dont like what paul gives on the wing 3) Hyatt has proven he will take whatever role he is given two seasons in a row 4) We wont add a better depth piece in the portal 5) If we offer 25+ minutes we can get a better guard or wing

Simpson was extremely inefficient but he had the speed and a shooters mentality. We're going to struggle if he's averaging 15 shots a game next year.

I have no faith pike will do the right thing if Paul comes back and he struggles.

I'd be less nervous if Hyatt came back. He's a willing shooter and pike has shown he will make the right move if he's off.
Simpson will get better as a shooter. The kid can play. His freshman stats mean literally nothing next year. He was a skinny kid barely out of high school playing in the big 10. I don't think he'll take 15 shots, but I think he makes a huge jump next season.

Idk. Simpson aint exactly a world beater. At least he wasnt this year. He shot 40% from the field, 21% from 3 and was 8th in the big ten for turnovers on offense (bad).
He didn’t need to be a world beater to inject more offense than Paul. When he got minutes he produced at a higher level and would’ve handled the endgame disaster in Minnesota better. Pike obviously realized Simpson was an upgrade in the postseason. Against Hofstra they both played 40 min. SImpson 22 pts, Paul 9, nuff said.

did anyone who posts here watch Rutgers play this yea and watch the NCAA tournament games?

Teams that get to S16 have better player than PM and Hyatt. We are not getting there with PM and AH

We can get there with the guys we have minus those two plus two better guys from the portal

Reactions: RUskoolie
Hyatt doesn’t do much that isn’t easily replaceable. He is not a particularly good shooter even though we rely on him for scoring off the bench, and is not a good defender. They only thing he does better than average is rebound. We have two players on the roster already who are potential replacements as they develop, Chol and Ndongo, hopefully one of them can step into the role next year. We will also likely have room to add someone else.

I think Pike will go out and try to find a starting point guard in the portal. If he is successful, it doesn’t mean Paul can’t come back, but his role will change, playing more wing and/or power forward. If Pike is unsuccessful in finding a good experienced point guard, I think there will be an open competition for minutes, if Paul is back, between him, Simpson and Davis. I have my doubts that Simpson is a true point guard, his ball handling and passing weren’t great this year and had trouble getting the ball to the frontcourt when pressured, but hopefully he gets better. Davis is more of a true point guard and I wouldn‘t be surprised to see him steal a lot of minutes.

I can give a flying you know what about how much a player scores. I do care about how a player impacts a team's offensive production. If Paul scored 6 PPG but kept the ball moving and got us in offensive sets AND most importantly improved our points per possession. I don't care how we do it, but we have to do it.

Does Pike have a blind spot for Paul? We both know the answer.
In hindsight should Pike have taken the training wheels off of Simpson? We both know the answer
Did '22-'23 desparately need a guard who can take people off the dribble ? We both know the answer

If Gavin plays like a 5 star and Cam continues to be a threat and Cliff improves and is a beast....I am not certain the keys would be better in Derek's hands than Paul's.

I honestly don't know what to think of Simpson. We was so bad for most of the season. He was a freshman. He obviously showed signs the last few games. I still don't know what to make of Paul. There are really no comparisons, at least that I know of, of paul's skill set. No toolbox like it.
If you can’t score you had better defend. Oh, wait.

Simpson will get better as a shooter. The kid can play. His freshman stats mean literally nothing next year. He was a skinny kid barely out of high school playing in the big 10. I don't think he'll take 15 shots, but I think he makes a huge jump next season.
I hope he improves but we can't say he will get better. He was 21.7% from 3, with a bunch of ugly misses. I'd say his stats are an indicator of what we're likely to see next year.

How many huge jumps have we seen from year 1 to year 2 with shooting percentages? No one comes to mind, but it is late for me.

Idk. Simpson aint exactly a world beater. At least he wasnt this year. He shot 40% from the field, 21% from 3 and was 8th in the big ten for turnovers on offense (bad).
Freshman played incorrectly off the ball to protect Paul’s feelings. Late in the season when teams hope freshman mature and start to show up he played great. Psu won the game, and in his 3 starts, each one he was better then the previous. He was finally on the ball for the first time. All his shooting numbers went up considerably. Lots of room to improve since he is a freshman.

Oh and he was not 8th in turnovers . He was 70th averaged less then 1 a game. He is a far better ball handler then are other point guards on the team

There is not a bias just because someone pointed out a killer wtf play. We could name similar moments for every player on the team. That one play is not the issue with Hyatt.

If Hyatt was contributing similar offensive performances to what he did at Minny game in and out - he would not have been downgraded to a bench warmer. The bottom line is besides that game, he was 6 of 29 in the other 7 games to close out the season. That’s dreadful for a player who isn’t strong on the defensive end.

He averaged 37%from the field for the season, which isn’t good - but Im guessing he also played a lot more early when we were playing bad Q4 teams so his shooting stats against real teams may even be worse than that. Considering he’s not a strong defensive player, not a distributor who creates assists for other players, and hasn’t shown success sliding over to perimeter roles (he can only play 4) it’s easy for competition to pass him. As simple as that.

I’m also not sure where you are getting that he’s content to have been passed on the depth chart.

I’m sorry but I don’t buy it. He’s not allowed to dribble the ball? Then why is he out there? And do I want a guy on the team who can’t do simple basketball maneuver like turn and dribble the ball on his own at the end of the game? Nope. I’m sorry for how this sounds but I can’t get over what Hyatt did at the end of that game and he needs to finish his career somewhere else where he can get some significant minutes because it shouldn’t be at Rutgers next season. As for Paul, he has been here for 4 full seasons. He cant come back next year and be the primary ball handler. But I think he will be back because he wants to end his career the right way and not end it with the NIT.

Great overall point, but should be slightly tweaked because your giving him a bit of a leg to stand on. That decision at the end of the Minny game sucked - it stands out because of the immediate outcome and the loss probably cost us the NCAAs. I know that’s what you mean, but for a guy like this the obvious needs to be stated. Clearly it wasn’t just this one play that was the problem with Hyatt.

Great overall point, but should be slightly tweaked because your giving him a bit of a leg to stand on. That decision at the end of the Minny game sucked - it stands out because of the immediate outcome and the loss probably cost us the NCAAs. I know that’s what you mean, but for a guy like this the obvious needs to be stated. Clearly it wasn’t just this one play that was the problem with Hyatt.
There’s worse scorers and worse defenders on the team but Hyatt gets more shit than those guys. Is what it is some people like to look positively on some of the guys who fit that category and like to look negatively upon guys who play like Hyatt.

There’s worse scorers and worse defenders on the team but Hyatt gets more shit than those guys. Is what it is some people like to look positively on some of the guys who fit that category and like to look negatively upon guys who play like Hyatt.
Right. Paul and Caleb shit the bed on offense far more often than he did. And he’s also a better defender than Paul (they all are). Why the excuse theories for Paul ? Injury ? Checked out ? Here’s another explanation: he’s just not that good.

We need Paul back because we can use all the depth we can get. But if he doesn’t want to come back, I’ll respect his decision because college basketball is a commitment.

Guys who play like Hyatt? He has a shoot-first mindset on offense (less than one assist per game on the year) who shot below 38% from the floor! Of course he scored more than Mulcahy per game, as PM doesn't shoot often. Hr is a pretty good rebounder for his size and has a few hot shooting nights. What else is there that stands out in a good way about his overall 2022-23 season? After 120 college games, he is a 37% shooter so we cannot say this season was an anomaly there. Caleb gets ripped endlessly for not being a good shooter but even he had a higher FG% than Hyatt this year.

Hyatt is what he is, an athletic player capable of a hot game here and there but that's all he has shown to date. If he returns and buys in to whatever role Pike has in mind for him, including playing hard D and shooting in the flow of the offense, great. If he decides to transfer because he wants a bigger role than he would have here, I think the guys coming in can replace what he did last season.

Because its not about scoring

Explain why Oskar who rode pine the entire season passed him in the rotation

Mulcahy made a bad pass but was pressured with a double team and it is difficult to make the TO symbol while controlling the ball while defenders are reaching for it, and the coach should have jumped in to call the TO. Hyatt was under no pressure and could have waltzed over the line, killing time and getting it downcourt. One was pressured into a bad play, one just went brain lock.

Because its not about scoring

Explain why Oskar who rode pine the entire season passed him in the rotation
Because he wouldn’t take McConnell or Paul off the floor and we couldn’t score.

Pretty obvious give Pikiells history.

What we are yet to uncover is why Oskar his not back and what will happen with Hyatt,

Reactions: Shelby65
He didn’t need to be a world beater to inject more offense than Paul. When he got minutes he produced at a higher level and would’ve handled the endgame disaster in Minnesota better. Pike obviously realized Simpson was an upgrade in the postseason. Against Hofstra they both played 40 min. SImpson 22 pts, Paul 9, nuff said.
A little more to be said. Cam had 22, Simpson 19. Both shot 50% and Paul two more rebounds, one more assist and two less turnovers. Little things help the team but end of the day we need to score so I take Simpson over Mulcahy in this game, but not by as much of a margin as you.

Idk anyone who watches the ncaa tourney and sees teams flying around the court, playing with tempo, and shooting tons of 3’s and then thinks, damn Rutgers couldve done damage lol. We and the big ten as a whole stinks and arent built for march
This. I doubt these guys are watching the tournament games. These teams can run and shoot and are athletic. You get none of those with Paul or Hyatt. I wish them both well but I would bet any amount of money we can replace Paul's production with someone better. 30 MPG 6 points 3 turnovers was his stat line. Who WGAS about assists when you don't score the ball.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Nice try. Oskar over Hyatt..you still havent answered it. Has nothing to do with Paul
If you can’t see our entire roster construction has everything to with putting guys around Paul Caleb there’s no point in continuing.

If they go along with Oskar and Mag is not ready to start the season do you want Ndongo starting, and who backs him up? Ndongo sign yet?
If they go, we need to hit the portal hard! They are replaceable with portal players. The HS kids will sign but you cant count on unproven players to come up big.

Reactions: Scangg
Many will disagree but with the Hofstra game on the line in the last minute I wish Paul had the ball and not Simpson. D Simpson forced his way into the lane and had an awful turnover with an attempted pass to Cliff that had no chance of getting there because D S was out of control.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT