ADVERTISEMENT

I’m in the minority here…but I would prefer to keep this group INTACT

No i see Hyatt wasnt willing to put in the work on defense. Remarkably RU surged in the big 10 tourney with Hyatt riding pine
Surged in the big ten tournament lol our fans can’t be this deranged.

This. I doubt these guys are watching the tournament games. These teams can run and shoot and are athletic. You get none of those with Paul or Hyatt. I wish them both well but I would bet any amount of money we can replace Paul's production with someone better. 30 MPG 6 points 3 turnovers was his stat line. Who WGAS about assists when you don't score the ball.
I see 8.3 ppg, 2.0 turnover, 4.9 assists on the website. Assists help other players score, sometimes the assist is the primary reason for the score.

It’s amazing how the original topic of the threads just takes so many different tangents off the topic

Which is fine , if it didn’t morph into the same people with the same arguments over and over again 🙄
Good point. Closer to the original point, I would say the biggest issue with "running it back" with essentially the same roster except swapping Caleb with Gavin, Miller with Davis, and Oskar with Baye, is we could lack depth again. If we get Mag back to full health before January, that still leaves little margin for injuries next year.

I do worry some about chemistry if we end up with four or five new players that get heavy minutes. We need everyone to buy into their roles, whatever those are.

There’s worse scorers and worse defenders on the team but Hyatt gets more shit than those guys. Is what it is some people like to look positively on some of the guys who fit that category and like to look negatively upon guys who play like Hyatt.
Bc Caleb is back to back DPOY

Paul lead the B1G in assists last year

Hyatt doesnt do even one thing exceptionally well which is why he is so easily replaced

Because its not about scoring

Explain why Oskar who rode pine the entire season passed him in the rotation
Oskar is a better shooter, smarter player, and remarkably somehow became a better defender

If they go along with Oskar and Mag is not ready to start the season do you want Ndongo starting, and who backs him up? Ndongo sign yet?
If 3 more players leave including Hyatt, we are obviously adding multiple players via the portal. One will clearly be an option at the 4 so we will have Mag, Ndongo, and portal 4

Reactions: MiloTalon13

Hyatt doesnt do even one thing exceptionally well which is why he is so easily replaced

Oskar is a better shooter, smarter player, and remarkably somehow became a better defender

If 3 more players leave including Hyatt, we are obviously adding multiple players via the portal. One will clearly be an option at the 4 so we will have Mag, Ndongo, and portal 4

To be fair to Aundre

1.) in our offense , he isn’t going to get a lot of assists . He played the same position as akwasi three years (who didn’t have a lot assists )…that’s a scoring spot in pike offensice schemes

2.) Hyatt is not a three for defensive reasons. That limited his minutes two years ago big time ….and in the current rotation after Caleb and Paul came back and before mags injury , he almost was essentially at the four spot …and that was his steadiest period of the year (not to mention the team)

Don’t fool yourself. Oscar may be a better if wide open from just the right corner but Hyatt has midrange game, can shoot from anywhere and defends just as well. Oscar only started over him in desperate rotation experimentation and the Minnesota blowout anomaly.

Nothing against Reiber or Oskar personally, but Hyatt is better than both of them. Kevin McHale came off the bench much of his career. Cornbread Maxwell isn’t in the HOF, and McHale an all-time great.

Don’t judge Hyatt by Pike’s whims and clear favoritism.

Right. Paul and Caleb shit the bed on offense far more often than he did. And he’s also a better defender than Paul (they all are). Why the excuse theories for Paul ? Injury ? Checked out ? Here’s another explanation: he’s just not that good.
Go check out the flow of the offense in the Temple game without either of them (Paul and Caleb). I love Simpson but if he’s our only ball handler we’re in big trouble.

Don’t fool yourself. Oscar may be a better if wide open from just the right corner but Hyatt has midrange game, can shoot from anywhere and defends just as well. Oscar only started over him in desperate rotation experimentation and the Minnesota blowout anomaly.

Nothing against Reiber or Oskar personally, but Hyatt is better than both of them. Kevin McHale came off the bench much of his career. Cornbread Maxwell isn’t in the HOF, and McHale an all-time great.

Don’t judge Hyatt by Pike’s whims and clear favoritism.

And Rutgers played better in the 2 big 10 tourney games and the penn state comeback with Hyatt riding pine. Imagine being so bad that Oskar passes you

• Love
Reactions: Scangg

Don’t disagree why he did it, just that it’s the reason Hyatt played less. Pretty obvious. Oskar left for a reason.

And Rutgers played better in the 2 big 10 tourney games and the penn state comeback with Hyatt riding pine. Imagine being so bad that Oskar passes you

Pretty much says it all.
Gotta be careful when you start doing this because Rutgers had better records without Geo and without McConnell ,separately, in their careers.

But to the original point you guys are making the point that Hyatt has played a variety of roles and seen his minutes fluctuate up and down both seasons. He has done whatever Pike asks, you will not court someone better who will deal with that playing situation. It makes all the sense in the world for him to return for a simile role.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dean decision is dependent on if Hyatt comes back. End of day if you have guys who give you something in particular matchups and don’t mind spurts of limited minutes you keep them and they’re useful.

You don’t upgrade those roles through the portal. You upgrade the guys playing a bunch of minutes who don’t fit or for skill sets easy to find.

Gotta be careful when you start doing this because Rutgers had better records without Geo and without McConnell ,separately, in their careers.

But to the original point you guys are making the point that Hyatt has played a variety of roles and seen his minutes fluctuate up and down both seasons. He has done whatever Pike asks, you will not court someone better who will deal with that playing situation. It makes all the sense in the world for him to return for a simile role.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dean decision is dependent on if Hyatt comes back. End of day if you have guys who give you something in particular matchups and don’t mind spurts of limited minutes you keep them and they’re useful.

You don’t upgrade those roles through the portal. You upgrade the guys playing a bunch of minutes who don’t fit or for skill sets easy to find.
Caleb only missed 2 real games this year (and actually that’s probably all he’s missed in Hyatt’s whole career) I don’t give a crap how Hyatt played against Sacred Heart and company. Rutgers was 1-1 in those 2 real games (Temple and Wisconsin). And the only reason we won the Wiscy game was because Cam was on fire and nailed 6 threes.

Without Geo, our Hyatt inclusive roster didn’t perform well either. Blown out by Illinois. Lost to UMass. Yes, the team beat Purdue, but your guy Hyatt only played 5 minutes in that one. So what? Caleb played 36 minutes in that game by the way, but who cares. We won because Ron got hot and went 5-7 from 3. It had nothing to do with Geo’s absence and certainly not Hyatt’s presence.

Caleb only missed 2 real games this year (and actually that’s probably all he’s missed in Hyatt’s whole career) I don’t give a crap how Hyatt played against Sacred Heart and company. Rutgers was 1-1 in those 2 real games (Temple and Wisconsin). And the only reason we won the Wiscy game was because Cam was on fire and nailed 6 threes.

Without Geo, our Hyatt inclusive roster didn’t perform well either. Blown out by Illinois. Lost to UMass. Yes, the team beat Purdue, but your guy Hyatt only played 5 minutes in that one. So what? Caleb played 36 minutes in that game by the way, but who cares. We won because Ron got hot and went 5-7 from 3. It had nothing to do with Geo’s absence and certainly not Hyatt’s presence.
You guys are completely missing the point just because I guess you find joy in attacking a made up argument of Hyatt is better than the guys on the current roster.
I haven’t seen anyone say that’s the case.

You guys are completely missing the point just because I guess you find joy in attacking a made up argument of Hyatt is better than the guys on the current roster.
I haven’t seen anyone say that’s the case.
What is your point? Are you saying it would be an asset to keep Hyatt around to be the 7th or 8th guy off the bench? I’m not sure why you assume that’s a role he wants? I’m sure he came back this past season expecting to play a much bigger role without RHJ. That didn’t happen. Now you think he’s going to be content to be passed over by frosh for PT. If so, based on what? If not, then you are actually saying you think Hyatt is a whole lot better than where he ended on our bench relative to this year’s players. Because he was behind our frosh on the depth chart. Behind Paul and Caleb. Even behind Oskar. So the odds of him landing top 5-6 on our team, unless we are awful, don’t figure to be that good unless he drastically improves in the off season.

Just to be clear, I prefer him to Paul as a starter, warts and all. If Paul leaves and someone better than both of them comes from the portal and starts, that’s even better.

I don’t think we should pencil Griffiths in as a starter just yet. Let him replace Hyatt by January if he earns it.

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
Don’t disagree why he did it, just that it’s the reason Hyatt played less. Pretty obvious. Oskar left for a reason.
Yea bc Oskar isn't good enough... yet Hyatt was benched for him with Mag out

If Mag is back and we add Ndongo, where does that leave Hyatt? 3rd string 4

Reactions: S_Janowski
Many will disagree but with the Hofstra game on the line in the last minute I wish Paul had the ball and not Simpson. D Simpson forced his way into the lane and had an awful turnover with an attempted pass to Cliff that had no chance of getting there because D S was out of control.
For me, the larger point is we need much better guard play. And more kids that can create and shoot the BBall.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Paul is good if we are not relying on him. If we have two or 3 legit scorers and Paul can fill in the cracks as needed, that's perfect. If he is coming back to run the show, no thanks..

Wouldn't Aundre still be playing the 3; other than Gavin who else is playing there right now?

Just to be clear, I prefer him to Paul as a starter, warts and all. If Paul leaves and someone better than both of them comes from the portal and starts, that’s even better.

I don’t think we should pencil Griffiths in as a starter just yet. Let him replace Hyatt by January if he earns it.
They don’t play the same position.

Wouldn't Aundre still be playing the 3; other than Gavin who else is playing there right now?
I would think the plan if Paul returns would be for him to slide over to 3 when Derek runs point. Regardless, I’m sure we’ll be actively seeking wings in the portal. Hyatt has not played there much since early last year. Against decent teams, he’s been a disaster defending on the perimeter and he cannot handle the ball when pressured by a guard. Again, maybe that changed - he didn’t actually play 3 this year. I’m going to assume Pike didn’t see anything in practice though that led him to believe Hyatt should move back to 3 or he would have. We had no depth at all.

They don’t play the same position.
Not this year, but god help us if Paul is a backcourt player again. And in today’s game there’s no difference between a 3 and a 4. Both need to create their own shot and shoot well and defend wing players. Paul’s own shadow would score on him.

Not this year, but god help us if Paul is a backcourt player again. And in today’s game there’s no difference between a 3 and a 4. Both need to create their own shot and shoot well and defend wing players. Paul’s own shadow would score on him.
There’s a difference between 3 and 4 when your PG is more of a combo guard and raw like Simpson will be. Paul can handle the ball. Hyatt and Mag can’t. Neither can Cliff. Playing all 3 of them together puts enormous pressure on Derek. Pike even didn’t play Mag and Hyatt much together this year for this reason.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
For me, the larger point is we need much better guard play. And more kids that can create and shoot the BBall.
Agree. Every team in the Sweet 16 had quick, athletic guards who could drive and create their own shots. Currently only Simpson can do that. Unless you can shoot the lights out like Spencer can, there is really no room in the starting lineup for any other type of guard.

What is your point? Are you saying it would be an asset to keep Hyatt around to be the 7th or 8th guy off the bench? I’m not sure why you assume that’s a role he wants? I’m sure he came back this past season expecting to play a much bigger role without RHJ. That didn’t happen. Now you think he’s going to be content to be passed over by frosh for PT. If so, based on what? If not, then you are actually saying you think Hyatt is a whole lot better than where he ended on our bench relative to this year’s players. Because he was behind our frosh on the depth chart. Behind Paul and Caleb. Even behind Oskar. So the odds of him landing top 5-6 on our team, unless we are awful, don’t figure to be that good unless he drastically improves in the off season.

The deal is...will Hyatt be willing to play a role as the 7th or 8th option on the team. Im fine with him returning if he is....do people think thats realistic for him
Both can be true. Hyatt can be comfortable with an off the bench role where he plays variable minutes based on matchup and our roster tinkering. It is easy to beleive this as he has played fluctuating minutes for two whole years. He can also be better than Palm even though Palm played more minutes in three games - as I said, Palm is a better fit if you are going to keep Paul in and on the wing.

The points have already been made:

-Hyatt has done everything Pike has asked, up and down minutes for two seasons

-It is hard to upgrade his spot via portal if you’re offering a player 5-15 minutes with no commitment to seeing the high end

-It is easier to improve our offense and defense by finding a productive guard in the portal because you can offer 25+ minutes to replace Paul’s minutes.

-Paul is unlikely to return to play significantly less minutes

-There are 100s of better wings than Paul if you’re solution is to play Paul on the wing

I also believe with Gavin coming in it’s obvious there was less of a need for palm, and with McConnell gone there’s more of a need with what Hyatt can give. Hyatt also will pair well with Gavin imo

None of this is a necessarily a referendum on Paul or Hyatt. I think it’s pretty obvious our best and most realistic opportunity to get significantly better is to offer starter minutes to a portal guard. Not try and get a portal/wing 4 to come off the bench. I’m surprised people disagree on this.

Both can be true. Hyatt can be comfortable with an off the bench role where he plays variable minutes based on matchup and our roster tinkering. It is easy to beleive this as he has played fluctuating minutes for two whole years. He can also be better than Palm even though Palm played more minutes in three games - as I said, Palm is a better fit if you are going to keep Paul in and on the wing.

-It is hard to upgrade his spot via portal if you’re offering a player 5-15 minutes with no commitment to seeing the high end

-It is easier to improve our offense and defense by finding a productive guard in the portal because you can offer 25+ minutes to replace Paul’s minutes.

-There are 100s of better wings than Paul if you’re solution is to play Paul on the wing

I also believe with Gavin coming in it’s obvious there was less of a need for palm, and with McConnell gone there’s more of a need with what Hyatt can give. Hyatt also will pair well with Gavin imo

None of this is a necessarily a referendum on Paul or Hyatt. I think it’s pretty obvious our best and most realistic opportunity to get significantly better is to offer starter minutes to a portal guard. Not try and get a portal/wing 4 to come off the bench. I’m surprised people disagree on this.
If Hyatt comes back and jacks up 3s at the same rate and percentage with Gavin open I’ll be throwing crap at my TV

There’s a difference between 3 and 4 when your PG is more of a combo guard and raw like Simpson will be. Paul can handle the ball. Hyatt and Mag can’t. Neither can Cliff. Playing all 3 of them together puts enormous pressure on Derek. Pike even didn’t play Mag and Hyatt much together this year for this reason.
Fair points, but Mag can probably handle as well as McConnell did (turnovers at the worst possible times). Mag is our 3. So, as above yes Hyatt and Paul are the leftovers at the 4, so yea same position. Hyatt the starter, Griffiths backing him up in November. Need a backup 1 to join Davis.

If we get a portal forward better than Hyatt, then the above changes.

If Hyatt comes back and jacks up 3s at the same rate and percentage with Gavin open I’ll be throwing crap at my TV
The other option is Paul does take a back seat and returns and we bring in a modern 4 to start. I just don’t think it’s realistic. I think more likely than that scenario is Mag and Gavin start together.

People saying Hyatt is easily replaceable doesn't mean people are saying that a portal 4 is more important than a guard

Fair points, but Mag can probably handle as well as McConnell did (turnovers at the worst possible times). Mag is our 3. So, as above yes Hyatt and Paul are the leftovers at the 4, so yea same position. Hyatt the starter, Griffiths backing him up in November. Need a backup 1 to join Davis.

If we get a portal forward better than Hyatt, then the above changes.
Mag was the starting 4 so not sure why you are saying he is our 3. He's better suited for the 4 offensively although I think he can guard the 3 or 4 very effectively defensively

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT