ADVERTISEMENT

I’m in the minority here…but I would prefer to keep this group INTACT

Numbers dont matter when Hyatt is just a scorer and rebounder. He is definition of role player and he couldn't get that right

His defense and decision far worse than Mulcahy. Paul's best is still better than Hyatts..and Paul certainly has hos faults

Can you tell me why a guy went from zero playing time to getting picked in the rotation over a guy that scored 24 points vs Nebraska. Remember just 6 and 9 minutes in the Big 10 tourney

I know my answer
Yeah Pike not wanting to betray Paul

Reactions: Shelby65
Any team is better off with a guy like Paul - if he is healthy.

No one is more competitive than Paul, and no one will sacrifice more than Paul to win.

Paul became a regular starter because he was the guy sacrificing his body to get any loose ball. His teammates notice how big his heart is and they do not want to embarrass themselves by giving a mediocre effort. Intensity is a key to winning, and Paul brings that in spades.

Intangibles play a big part in sports, and Paul has all those.

He is also unselfish (perhaps too unselfish), and his teammates recognize that as something they should emulate.

Paul has trouble reigning in his competitiveness, but that is a small price to pay for the leadership role he plays for his teammates.

I would love to have a quicker point guard with a better shooting touch, but that person has to be able to replace Paul's leadership - and that is hard to do.

Everyone who has coached or played on winning teams in any sport knows that most winning teams have that one person who may not have all the star attributes, but who brings it all as soon as the game starts. Paul is one of those.

We were not seeing that effort during the closing days of the season, which tells me Paul was playing hurt. I only hope that the issue, or issues, is one that can be resolved and is not chronic.
I understand the love for Paul! Nj kid, bleeds Scarlet red, tough etc. Everyone who loves him knows this and describes him that way. Come off the bench and provide that grit . As far as winning goes all of that does not translate into wins of your not a productive player. We won’t go into inbound plays, turnovers, kicking, punches, 8 game meltdown out of the tournament.. Those attributes are great and he is loved for them but they did. Lt translate into winning when we needed it. He was a senior running point with a team second in the big ten with 8 to go.
Great guy great for the program and I hope he comes back to coach or help on the staff.

Paul was hurt basically the entire season. Literally everyone knows he was hurt

Not going to allow this....it's a sad commentary.....I could say Cliff was hurt and lost explosiveness...I could say Caleb was hurt, he barely practiced and gutted it out.....I could say anything, if I wanted to throw an unknown or assumed item......why don't we assume everyone is banged up....which was the case......you still have to play through it.

Instead of making excuses, why we can't just acknowledge, that Mulcahy's replacement is far more impactful than anyone else's on the roster for next year??

Mulcahy is a solid player IF....IF, he plays solid consistent basketball. His track record and style of play is too erratic and too inconsistent to be counted on at 32 to 34MPG. I have 2 straight years of evidence, why would I assume that it will be drastically different next year?

The question is - how much of the drop off was a result of no longer having 2 elite defenders on the court the majority of the game? You replaced Mag’s defense mostly with Hyatt or Oskar. Major drop off. And you didn’t get more offense either.
You had 3 issues (in addition to Mag gone)
1. Significant drop off in replacement
2. A team that hit a wall
3. Paul’s play falling off a cliff

Again, you aren't answering the question.....don't give me Hyatt was having his minutes reduced, when Paul played non-stop, with no improvements, no increase in production and took a complete and utter meltdown after 4 to 5 straight non production games at PSU, to finally be taken off the ball.

You must be blind to hang your hat on that as your answer. It is FAR more likely that the solution was playing Simpson more and Mulcahy less, than playing Oskar more and Hyatt less???

Again, 32 to 34MPG and the lowest production by ANY starting guard in the B1G.....what is your answer to this??

At least, Hyatt warts and all, takes 3s and puts the ball in the basket once in awhile. He outscored Mulcahy in 10 less minutes per game, on a team that lacks offense. You act as if Mulcahy is Caleb on defense....really??

Hyatt plays no defense. My take is Pike was forced to do something about this late the season

The jog back after a missed 3 vs PSU was a turning point

NJH,

You have evidence showing….
1. Paul at his best (1st team B1G player)
2. Paul at his worst (yuck)
3. Paul in between

I have my fantasy baseball draft coming up on Monday. Tons of players I have to figure out what am I going to get.

Is Stanton worth anything?
Do ignore Hader down the stretch?
What do I make of the KC 1st baseman Vinnie P?

The “we were a five seed in January” argument is based on make believe.

There’s no such thing. Yes they were playing welll in a lot of one possesion games. But making this argument you are counting for 100% win probability in the games you won where win probabilities were much closer to 40-60%, and then assuming that the last 8 games, where win probability was again was close to the same, would’ve been likely wins.

I'm torn on Paul. He was obviously hurt. He will be healthy next year with more offensive talent around him with Gavin instead of Caleb. He brings a ton of experience and leadership.

At the same time, I want this team to get more athletic and play quicker

If Paul leaves and we land a stud replacement guard in the portal, we will be fine. If we land a bust it's going to hurt and we will all be missing Paul

Is Davis ready to play some minutes as a freshman. He brings speed quickness and athleticism. He can get to the lane and finish in creative ways as well as pull up in the mid range. Skill sets the team needs but he'd a true freshman so banking on him first year is risky

Agree on all points

To expand on further reason I’m torn about paul ..

The kid is a true knight. Was part of the core that turned RU around. So it doesn’t feel right, at all, to now show the kid the door!! But I’m afraid like others that pikes loyalty/ gratitude to him will cause pike to give him more minutes at PG than he should be getting (if he continues to play like he did)

Also, it sure seemed like he was injured. The shoulder for sure was messed up big time through til the end. And I doubt that was all. But what if he’s able to come back fully healthy next year? Could we get more of the “all world paul” (or remotely close to it) that we saw for a good stretch the prior season. Is “that paul” still in him potentially? I’d take “that paul” back in a heart beat!!!

Lastly, I think the biggest question is what would we have if he left. Simpson certainly showed flashes but I’m still not convinced that he’s ready to run the offense for long stretches. Is j. Davis capable? If not “yes” to both then we need an experienced, good PG. So does every team though!!! Gonna be a lot of competition to get a good experienced PG

Let’s not compare Hyatt and Mulcahy. Oskar moved ahead of Aundre.

The debate is Paul and his flaws and whether a team can win with a player like him. How much of his poor play was because of his injury?

I value a player who will get the ball to others in good spots. If we have a team with more firepower we can certainly be OK with a guy who scores 7 PPG and only takes wide open 3s.

I can’t answer what happened to Paul in the 2nd half. Not many were questioning Paul as our PG in the 1st half of the year.

You're ignoring what the coach did, instead of looking at what happened. Maybe Pike had a blind spot for Paul.....Maybe he was wayyy too loyal and played Paul when he wasn't producing.

If Pike pulled back on Mulcahy way sooner in the year, it is my "educated guess", that Simpson would have been more ready in late January and February and RU would have made the NCAAs.....BUT it would have required Pike making the adjustment.

I will ask the question again, if Mulcahy is the lowest scoring guard in the entire B1G, how does that matter less than a 6th man off the bench, playing 22 to 23MPG??

Sure and he is very replaceable
Find a transfer wing willing to play anywhere from 5-15 minutes a game better than Hyatt? Not sure I want to take my chances there. We’ve already seen difficulty in adding depth positions through portal.

Find a transfer guard willing to play anywhere from 25-32 minutes a game who’s better than Paul? I like those odds we have a lot to offer and have added quality starters at the guard position in the past.

This is the practical part of this discussion. You can’t just construct a roster in franchise mode or a video game you need to manage people and expectations.

Last edited:
Find a transfer wing willing to play anywhere from 5-15 minutes a game better than Hyatt? Not sure I want to take my chances there. We’ve already seen difficulty in added depth positions through portal.

Find a transfer guard willing to play anywhere from 25-32 minutes a game who’s better than Paul? I like those odds we have a lot to offer and have added quality starters at the guard position in the past.

This is the practical part of this discussion. You can’t just construct a roster in franchise mode or a video game you need to manage people and expectations.

Disagree totally

Sure and he is very replaceable

Soo.....are you saying that the key to improving and making RU better, is by replacing 30.6% shooting from 3 and 8.8PPG off the bench BUT not replacing 8.3PPG and a starting guard playing 32 to 34 MPG....??

Let's assume the Hyatt replacement is 35% from 3, in the same 23 MPG and we go from 8.8 PPG, to 10.3PPG.

What do we do to get Mulcahy from 8.3 to 13PPG....?? I'll wait......

Reactions: RUsojo
I would really like for Paul to come back but it couldn't be in a role where he was largely running our offense. The offense is much too static with Paul there. He either orchestrates from outside the top of the arc or inch by inch backs his defender with no motion around him. I could see him in this role part time but primariy on the wing.

I'm torn on Paul. He was obviously hurt. He will be healthy next year with more offensive talent around him with Gavin instead of Caleb. He brings a ton of experience and leadership.

At the same time, I want this team to get more athletic and play quicker

If Paul leaves and we land a stud replacement guard in the portal, we will be fine. If we land a bust it's going to hurt and we will all be missing Paul

Is Davis ready to play some minutes as a freshman. He brings speed quickness and athleticism. He can get to the lane and finish in creative ways as well as pull up in the mid range. Skill sets the team needs but he'd a true freshman so banking on him first year is risky

I hear you and many others…but here is the thing , you aren’t going to do this one season. It’s a 2-3 year process …and next year is the bridge year

We can middle ground this next and keep the roster mostly intact …and morph to a quicker style when Warren , and hopefully (likely in my book!) one or both of Dylan and kur teng is here

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
You're ignoring what the coach did, instead of looking at what happened. Maybe Pike had a blind spot for Paul.....Maybe he was wayyy too loyal and played Paul when he wasn't producing.

If Pike pulled back on Mulcahy way sooner in the year, it is my "educated guess", that Simpson would have been more ready in late January and February and RU would have made the NCAAs.....BUT it would have required Pike making the adjustment.

I will ask the question again, if Mulcahy is the lowest scoring guard in the entire B1G, how does that matter less than a 6th man off the bench, playing 22 to 23MPG??
I can give a flying you know what about how much a player scores. I do care about how a player impacts a team's offensive production. If Paul scored 6 PPG but kept the ball moving and got us in offensive sets AND most importantly improved our points per possession. I don't care how we do it, but we have to do it.

Does Pike have a blind spot for Paul? We both know the answer.
In hindsight should Pike have taken the training wheels off of Simpson? We both know the answer
Did '22-'23 desparately need a guard who can take people off the dribble ? We both know the answer

If Gavin plays like a 5 star and Cam continues to be a threat and Cliff improves and is a beast....I am not certain the keys would be better in Derek's hands than Paul's.

I honestly don't know what to think of Simpson. We was so bad for most of the season. He was a freshman. He obviously showed signs the last few games. I still don't know what to make of Paul. There are really no comparisons, at least that I know of, of paul's skill set. No toolbox like it.

Reactions: rutger80
We need to find closers on the fast break. I love Mag, Caleb and Paul, but none of them were good finishers on fast breaks. Simpson definitely has that potential but need to find another guy in the portal who knows how to finish

iMO …Paul roll needs to be redefined next year

No one shoukd be playing 34 minutes …my biggest pike beef early in the year then mag got hurt

Paul 26 minutes come 14 mpg as a back up to Simpson at the point and 12 minutes in the “point forward “ spot

Soo.....are you saying that the key to improving and making RU better, is by replacing 30.6% shooting from 3 and 8.8PPG off the bench BUT not replacing 8.3PPG and a starting guard playing 32 to 34 MPG....??

Let's assume the Hyatt replacement is 35% from 3, in the same 23 MPG and we go from 8.8 PPG, to 10.3PPG.

On a 40 minute basis....
Paul 8 per 40
Cam 18 per 40
Gavin 18 per 40
Mag 10 per 40
Cliff 18 per 40

That's 72.

Is that pie in the sky?
72 walks the dog.

May not agree with you on everything, but still make sure I read everything you post. You are one of the most valuable posters here.

Last edited:
Not going to allow this....it's a sad commentary.....I could say Cliff was hurt and lost explosiveness...I could say Caleb was hurt, he barely practiced and gutted it out.....I could say anything, if I wanted to throw an unknown or assumed item......why don't we assume everyone is banged up....which was the case......you still have to play through it.

Instead of making excuses, why we can't just acknowledge, that Mulcahy's replacement is far more impactful than anyone else's on the roster for next year??

Mulcahy is a solid player IF....IF, he plays solid consistent basketball. His track record and style of play is too erratic and too inconsistent to be counted on at 32 to 34MPG. I have 2 straight years of evidence, why would I assume that it will be drastically different next year?
The falloff of Paul’s play from the beginning to the end of the season makes it most plausible that he played hurt. On layups Paul constantly used his right on when driving left. Leads me to think an injury to left arm or shoulder was the reason

NJH,

You have evidence showing….
1. Paul at his best (1st team B1G player)
2. Paul at his worst (yuck)
3. Paul in between

I have my fantasy baseball draft coming up on Monday. Tons of players I have to figure out what am I going to get.

Is Stanton worth anything?
Do ignore Hader down the stretch?
What do I make of the KC 1st baseman Vinnie P?

Paul played 5 straight games in the 2021-22 season, that was 1st team all caliber. He showed nothing close to that run, with any consistency.

When the team needed a starter to play better, we didn't get it.

I have 2, 12, 2, 6, 9, 0, 6, 8, 8, 10, 9 from Mulcahy in the last 11 games played after scoring 17 in 1 half vs MSU at MSG.

That 72 points in 11 games played. ....its 6.55 PPG at 32 MPG.

Am I supposed to ignore 11 straight games?? Tell me anything else matters more than this, and don't throw out cliches or anything general.

I can give a flying you know what about how much a player scores. I do care about how a player impacts a team's offensive production. If Paul scored 6 PPG but kept the ball moving and got us in offensive sets AND most importantly improved our points per possession. I don't care how we do it, but we have to do it.

Does Pike have a blind spot for Paul? We both know the answer.
In hindsight should Pike have taken the training wheels off of Simpson? We both know the answer
Did '22-'23 desparately need a guard who can take people off the dribble ? We both know the answer

If Gavin plays like a 5 star and Cam continues to be a threat and Cliff improves and is a beast....I am not certain the keys would be better in Derek's hands than Paul's.

I honestly don't know what to think of Simpson. We was so bad for most of the season. He was a freshman. He obviously showed signs the last few games. I still don't know what to make of Paul. There are really no comparisons, at least that I know of, of paul's skill set. No toolbox like it.

Greene …here is the thing about Paul . There was periods of “bad Paul” where he would be dribbling 25-30 feet from the bucket with the back to the basket for the first 15-18 seconds of the shot clock …if he can’t get a ball screen at 21 feet, his ability to get going downhill before help defense arrives was a major issue. Indiana road game was first time that an opponent got determined to do that and his narrative changed with that game as oooownts defensed is different

Paul is good for the back up minutes ar the point guard and playing multiple positions to get his 26 minutes…he adds more total value to the team this way (thibk 2020-2021 with geo and Jacob in the guard spot)…with more scoring around him next year …

Its not a Mulcahy vs Hyatt thing

Its a Hyatt thing and what he bring or does not bring to the table

Mulcahy is a seperate issue

Paul played 5 straight games in the 2021-22 season, that was 1st team all caliber. He showed nothing close to that run, with any consistency.

When the team needed a starter to play better, we didn't get it.

I have 2, 12, 2, 6, 9, 0, 6, 8, 8, 10, 9 from Mulcahy in the last 11 games played after scoring 17 in 1 half vs MSU at MSG.

That 72 points in 11 games played. ....its 6.55 PPG at 32 MPG.

Am I supposed to ignore 11 straight games?? Tell me anything else matters more than this, and don't throw out cliches or anything general.
I can't sugarcoat anything here. Forgeting the numbers he carried himself terribly and didn't feel like he was in control. Couldn't take his constant complaining to the refs and cant excuse his behavior on one or 2 plays.

Greene …here is the thing about Paul . There was periods of “bad Paul” where he would be dribbling 25-30 feet from the bucket with the back to the basket for the first 15-18 seconds of the shot clock …if he can’t get a ball screen at 21 feet, his ability to get going downhill before help defense arrives was a major issue. Indiana road game was first time that an opponent got determined to do that and his narrative changed with that game as oooownts defensed is different

Paul is good for the back up minutes ar the point guard and playing multiple positions to get his 26 minutes…he adds more total value to the team this way (thibk 2020-2021 with geo and Jacob in the guard spot)…with more scoring around him next year …
Yes...Paul is going uphill when a defender has him 30 feet and we need a screen just to initiate offense.

Was that because he was hurt or opposition figured us out?

If we have weapons at 3 1/2 of positions on the court I don't know if I want my PG going downhill. There is a fine line between Nowell going downhill and Quinnerly going down hill and hijacking the offense.

Assuming everyone is back the ideal scenario is both on the court a lot of the time. A lot of things is opponent dependent.

Maybe I am wrong about Simpson and he turns a corner from a "scoring" PG to a "balanced" PG.

Guys

I’ve watched enough ncaa games this year to know that when we’re healthy , (including mag), we were right there to be very competitive in the ncaa tournament

So …I’m not sure why, other than the bitter snub on selection Sunday coming from the fall off when we slumped post Mag, we don’t want to come back a year wiser , more developed and make a run

We were 9-5 (and shoukd have been 10-4) with our full roster this year , and only two of those wins were OOC cupcakes in late December .

Certainly , Caleb will be missed on the defensive end and toughness ….the reality was miller and Palmquist didn’t get off the bench untik mag got hurt

So, from our core 7 (Paul, cam, Caleb, Mawot, cliff , Derek and Aundre)…6 return

And we add
Gavin Griftths
Baye Ndongo
JaMichael Davis

And hopefully a more developed Antoine wolfolk

Let’s add a 5th year guard and go with it …and save the scholarships for the class of 2024

This has the makings of a very very good team for 2023-2024…picking up from where we left off from the Madison square garden win before injuries reallt got us….that’s much deeper and potentially doesn’t need to thread the needle with such a small holeto be a potential sweet 16 team

Sure …it requires cliff coming back, Paul getting healthy and coming back ready to finish this out right , it requires Hyatt coming back , and Mawot gettinf and staying healthy …

Sone ifs…but I think we are better off staying the course …we were close until the lack of depth really got exposed ..and I think we have fixed that for next year

Let’s stay the course ….
Idk anyone who watches the ncaa tourney and sees teams flying around the court, playing with tempo, and shooting tons of 3’s and then thinks, damn Rutgers couldve done damage lol. We and the big ten as a whole stinks and arent built for march

Reactions: RUskoolie

Agree. If Pike had made the switch to Simpson say 5 games before the end of the regular season instead of waiting until the post season we probably 1) beat Minnesota and 2) make the NCAA’s.

On a 40 minute basis....
Paul 8 per 40
Cam 18 per 40
Gavin 18 per 40
Mag 10 per 40
Cliff 18 per 40

That's 72.

Is that pie in the sky?
72 walks the dog.

Cam averaged 11.5PPG against Power 5 teams not named Minnesota.

Gavin is not scoring 18PPG

Let's try this one instead, since 18, 18 and 18 with 3 teammates is impossible. Below is your BEST case scenario, if the guard replacing Mulcahy is a Top of the half B1G caliber player.

Simpson/Davis 12 per 40
TBD guard 12 per 30
Cam 10 per 30
Gavin 10 per 25
Mag/Ngongo 10 per 25
Hyatt 7 per 20
Cliff/TBD big 14 per 30

That's 75PPG, which is true assumptions on more transition baskets, better shooting from Ngongo, Gavin and new guard and Simpson elevated to more minutes.

That's 200 minutes and Sweet 16 caliber

Agree. If Pike had made the switch to Simpson say 5 games before the end of the regular season instead of waiting until the post season we probably 1) beat Minnesota and 2) make the NCAA’s.
Idk. Simpson aint exactly a world beater. At least he wasnt this year. He shot 40% from the field, 21% from 3 and was 8th in the big ten for turnovers on offense (bad).

Reactions: winfield102
Imo, next year I:

- Need Cliff back
- Want Paul back (healthy and off the ball, less minutes)

No offense to Hyatt, but it’s probably time for him to move on, unless he’s okay with being the 7th guy.
Could not agree more..on all counts.

Reactions: RUDivision
I generally agree with you. My tweaks would be this…
#1. Like you said definitely add an experienced guard to the mix. I’ll add that he must be one that can dribble drive penetrate and finish or dish.
#2. If Paul comes back it’s in this different role that kinda overlaps with Hyatt. I’m cool with 1 coming back but probably not enough space in minutes or emotionally for both.
#3 In summary I’m cool with bringing back our core 5 + 1 Pg transfer + wolf/Chol + 3 freshmen + the wild card is do we need someone likely ahead of Wolf at the 4/5 for this upcoming year?
We need 8 guys we can count on. This year we never had more than 6 at the same time. (Derek didn’t truly emerge until well after Mag was out).
Great post!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If Hyatt turned up court with the ball at Minnesota instead of passing back to Paul, we avoid our worst loss and very well could have danced. I won't promise it because the committee apparently had a mindset of limiting B1G bids.

Hyatt might not be happy with fewer shots and minutes. One of his postgame interviews after a win gave me that impression. I cannot say for sure. But he is NOT an outside shooting threat despite having a few good games. He is NOT a plus defender. He scored because he had a high usage rate IMO. If he is back, I will root for him to continue his growth. If he transfers, I think what we got from him this year is relatively easy to replace on the portal.

Hawk, you've been anti-Paul pretty much all season so I am not surprised to see it here. I don't think it is a "Paul or Hyatt" decision either, as each has different pluses and minuses. Paul's shoulder and later on his back were clearly issues all year long. If he returns, I agree it should be as the 2nd string PG and a point forward, playing fewer minutes.

Bring in more overall talent and then play the best but be fair to the rest.

Hawk is so desperate to defend his Hyatt should start over Mag and Mag isn't a B1G player he's trying to turn it into a Hyatt vs Paul debate based on Hyatt scoring more than Paul

Makes no sense
I don’t think he turned it into a Hyatt v paul debate at all. Everything needs to be considered in roster construction. The upside of replacing different players and likelihood of realizing it are very relevant to that discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT