ADVERTISEMENT

I dont buy the narrative that schools better than RU want Pike and that’s why Hobbs keeps extending him

Kyk’s whole argument basically revolves around the assumption that this is Pike’s ceiling and Ru will never getting better. We had an okay season during a rebuild year.
We have no idea what Pike’s ceiling is.
But the fact is Pike has this team in a position where we have a legit chance at landing multiple top 10 players in the same class.
If you can’t see how miraculous that is, then you’re just being biased.
Yes, Pike may have screwed up some end of game coaching situations. Guess what, a lot of coaches do that.
The culture has changed and RU is no longer seen as a dumpster fire when it comes to bball. We’re in a great position to take the next step
Kyk is biased. He is a SHU Smurf fan. He sh!ts on Pike and our program all of the time.

We all need to stop feeding the SHU troll.

Emotions aside, I'd expect more future success from a coach who has two 4 seeds fail to make the sweet 16 than one that has a 10 seed make it.

Evaluating based on performance in one single elimination tournament is both extremely common and extremely stupid.

I know this is off topic, but I'm curious...

With you being a self-admitted win at all costs guy who places much less value on a coach's integrity, morals, etc, than many here do (and since you've previously mentioned your real estate investment career and buying apartment complexes), is your livelihood based primarily on a "rehab, kick the tenants out, and raise the rents" type of investment philosophy? (For example, buying senior citizen apartment complexes, immediately increasing the rents (sometimes by over 50%) to make a huge profit, and then throwing most of the fixed or lower income previous tenants out on the streets with no qualms when they can't afford the exorbitant increases in rent?)

We've had occasional articles in our local Arizona news media regarding out of state investors doing that to many senior and lower income citizens here, and the difficulties and hardships it's caused many of the people who've been forced out of their long time homes. I realize it's not illegal in many places, but it doesn't necessarily seem very moral either.
Lol no

The only real way that's fair is to say "this coach and program is where Pike should be".

We saw this same thread last year or 2 years ago and the best answer kyk1827 mentioned was Oklahoma State HC, Mike Boynton.....

It is a dumb thread to begin with unless you have at least 8 to 10, clear cut HCs and programs that are consistently in the Sweet 16.

Is it Arkansas......Texas.....UCLA......Kansas...Duke, UNC....UVA.....Arizona.....Michigan State (7 final Fours under Izzo in 25 years??)

In order to bash Pike or say RU fans have "low expectations ", we need at least a few comparisons.

If kyk1827 has 6 to 10 programs that we can write in ink, that make the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, I'd love to see who they are.

Pike is building something and to be completely fair, the players that got RU out of the basement, are the same grinders that are now helping in what I call, the plateau stage of 2 to 3 years, before the next phase of winning happens.

If RU started from Year 1, Day 1 with every recruiting target at a 4 or 5* level, then kyk1827 would be right.

We didn't start off this rebuild where MOST coaching changes start. Most programs are usually solid or OK, when a change is made.

If I look at Georgia Tech, St John's, Seton Hall (last year), Maryland (last year), Indiana (2 years ago), Alabama (under Avery Johnson 2 to 3 years ago), most of those teams were over .500, near .500 and "functional".....

If and when Pitino takes over St John's, he's not starting from Eddie Jordan stages of talent. It's already been deemed that St John's has NCAA caliber talent. Same with even Georgetown under Patrick Ewing. Those rosters, player for player are significantly more talented than RU the last 2 seasons.

The recruiting aspect is improving for RU, but I still need to see the 6 to 10 clear examples of " this is how easy it is".....LMAO

We haven't even gotten through the afternoon of Day 1 of the NCAAs and Furman beats UVA....And I know UVA vapor-locked in the last few seconds, but basketball is WAY more difficult than football.

In football, you just accumulate talent and players don't leave after 1 season. The same 5 to 6 teams are in the National Title discussion every year.

In basketball, there are probably 20 teams that can win a National title this year. Big difference.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Typical awful takes from the same people.

Pike has done a marvelous job here. Some of you have no concept of what our perception is around the country and forget how truly awful the program was for the last 30 years. That's a full generation folks. That's not 1-2 bad hires.

When people are talking about an NIT final and a team that played when Nixon was President as the highlights of the hoops program, that sums up what he inherited.

We all owe Pike an enormous debt of gratitude. I am very confident better days are ahead with the talent that is coming the next couple of years, but regardless of what happens in the future, he took a head coaching job that was seen as a dead end coach killing graveyard, and has made it something that will be highly coveted whenever we need to do our next search, which hopefully will be far in the future after both Pike and Brandin Knight have retired 😁😁

Last edited:
I would say hes a good coach. No where close to great tho
Please go root for Nebraska again! U are one of the biggest look at me posters I have ever seen. U hate Pike. We get it. U were wrong when u wanted him gone years ago, way wrong today and wait until scorers get here starting next year and year after. We can stick the “he doesn’t know how to coach offense up ur ass”. Enough is enough already.
Move to ur bad football games please.

Typical awful takes from the same people.

Pike has done a marvelous job here. Some of you have no concept of what our perception is around the country and forget how truly awful the program was for the last 30 years. That's a full generation folks. That's not 1-2 bad hires.

When people are talking about an NIT final and a team that played when Nixon was President as the highlights of the hoops program, that sums up what he inherited.
This is so FU(KING spot on.

The only reason we’re less than mediocre now, is because the neglect that took place from 2012 to 2020. You don’t undo 9 years of neglect in 3 years. Without the facility we can ultimately be mediocre but nothing more. So yes, we can be mediocre within roughly 3 years.

But We aspire to greatness and that’s why we need a new practice facility. I just visited Miami’s new facilities and I was blown away with how nice they are. We want to be able to compete for more of the best players in America, similar to what basketball is able to do. The new basketball practice facility definitely helped boost their results.

The football fieldhouse is currently being designed, and they are working to manage the scope and cost, per Hobbs on Richie’s podcast. It is going to happen.

I’m not dismissing the reasons we’re less than mediocre in football or the challenge that Schiano 2.0 had and still has.

Schiano (as well as Pikiell) took over complete dumpster fires…arguably some of the worst programs in D1 respectively.

But the notion that Schiano is being stopped from bringing us to mediocrity because he doesn’t have a $100 million practice facility is insane. He’s being given enough resources (facilities and staffing $) to get us to a middle of the pack BIG10 team. If he can’t do that, it has nothing to do with a lack of a shiny practice facility.

Basketball facilities were much, much worse than football when Pikiell took over basketball. He had built the program with 2/3 star players before that practice facility was constructed. The facility has certainly helped with recruiting since it was built, but that’s not what got us to being competitive.

Reactions: Fat Koko
Please go root for Nebraska again! U are one of the biggest look at me posters I have ever seen. U hate Pike. We get it. U were wrong when u wanted him gone years ago, way wrong today and wait until scorers get here starting next year and year after. We can stick the “he doesn’t know how to coach offense up ur ass”. Enough is enough already.
Move to ur bad football games please.
He doesn’t hate pike imo. He’s not a rutgers basketball fan. He’s a fraud shu fan. Either that or he’s really dumb but I lean slightly toward fraud.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
The only real way that's fair is to say "this coach and program is where Pike should be".

We saw this same thread last year or 2 years ago and the best answer kyk1827 mentioned was Oklahoma State HC, Mike Boynton.....

It is a dumb thread to begin with unless you have at least 8 to 10, clear cut HCs and programs that are consistently in the Sweet 16.

Is it Arkansas......Texas.....UCLA......Kansas...Duke, UNC....UVA.....Arizona.....Michigan State (7 final Fours under Izzo in 25 years??)

In order to bash Pike or say RU fans have "low expectations ", we need at least a few comparisons.

If kyk1827 has 6 to 10 programs that we can write in ink, that make the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, I'd love to see who they are.

Pike is building something and to be completely fair, the players that got RU out of the basement, are the same grinders that are now helping in what I call, the plateau stage of 2 to 3 years, before the next phase of winning happens.

If RU started from Year 1, Day 1 with every recruiting target at a 4 or 5* level, then kyk1827 would be right.

We didn't start off this rebuild where MOST coaching changes start. Most programs are usually solid or OK, when a change is made.

If I look at Georgia Tech, St John's, Seton Hall (last year), Maryland (last year), Indiana (2 years ago), Alabama (under Avery Johnson 2 to 3 years ago), most of those teams were over .500, near .500 and "functional".....

If and when Pitino takes over St John's, he's not starting from Eddie Jordan stages of talent. It's already been deemed that St John's has NCAA caliber talent. Same with even Georgetown under Patrick Ewing. Those rosters, player for player are significantly more talented than RU the last 2 seasons.

The recruiting aspect is improving for RU, but I still need to see the 6 to 10 clear examples of " this is how easy it is".....LMAO

We haven't even gotten through the afternoon of Day 1 of the NCAAs and Furman beats UVA....And I know UVA vapor-locked in the last few seconds, but basketball is WAY more difficult than football.

In football, you just accumulate talent and players don't leave after 1 season. The same 5 to 6 teams are in the National Title discussion every year.

In basketball, there are probably 20 teams that can win a National title this year. Big difference.

Just to pick up your point, there’s so many good players now at lower level schools - if they can string together 40 really good minutes, they can beat anyone. Was blown away by Hofstra’s play. The kid who hit that jumper with Caleb 6 inches from his face. Stones. Transfer portal seems to be more players going up or down a level rather than moving laterally. Same with coaching.

I’m not dismissing the reasons we’re less than mediocre in football or the challenge that Schiano 2.0 had and still has.

Schiano (as well as Pikiell) took over complete dumpster fires…arguably some of the worst programs in D1 respectively.

But the notion that Schiano is being stopped from bringing us to mediocrity because he doesn’t have a $100 million practice facility is insane. He’s being given enough resources (facilities and staffing $) to get us to a middle of the pack BIG10 team. If he can’t do that, it has nothing to do with a lack of a shiny practice facility.

Basketball facilities were much, much worse than football when Pikiell took over basketball. He had built the program with 2/3 star players before that practice facility was constructed. The facility has certainly helped with recruiting since it was built, but that’s not what got us to being competitive.
Practice facility was announced in April of 2016 IIRC

Practice facility was announced in April of 2016 IIRC

Yes very aware.

If you read my whole post (?) you’ll see I said it’s helped with recruiting…but overall I don’t think it had a whole lot of impact with how Pikiell turned this program about with the initial core group of 2/3 star players.

Reactions: RUsojo

Schiano is not stopped from attaining mediocrity due to facilities. But it is going to take time to get there. Similar to basketball, we can get to competitive before the new facility is built, which I’m hoping is done by ‘25. Then new facilities can get us beyond mediocrity.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Schiano is not stopped from attaining mediocrity due to facilities. But it is going to take time to get there. Similar to basketball, we can get to competitive before the new facility is built, which I’m hoping is done by ‘25. Then new facilities can get us beyond mediocrity.

Let’s hope we get to mediocrity before 2025 (unless you were referring to the facility for 25).

2024 has to be the year to be competitive on the field.

Reactions: rutgersal
You just can't control yourself, can you? There's a time and a place. Last night was not the time or the place. It's a life skill that you may require. Work on it.
Kids one of the biggest nitwits around. Been saying it forever.
He doesn’t hate pike imo. He’s not a rutgers basketball fan. He’s a fraud shu fan. Either that or he’s really dumb but I lean slightly toward fraud.
Both

As I said, i think thats a fair position that most hold. Just wanted to kinda confirm where people stand. Im the exception amongst the RU fan base being a win at all costs guys. 90%+ of the people here are okay with just be very average as long as we have a nice guy as coach who they admire and respect. I have more of a southern mindset
I also want to win probably as much as you. I am as much a diehard Rutgers fan( and alum) as you. I've been following Rutgers since the Bobby Lloyd / Jim Valvano days. I went to school with Gene Armistead--terrific person. But not win " at all costs". You can have Nate Oats. When your star player and an ex-player are implicated in a capital murder case then something has gone terribly wrong with your priorities as an institution and a university. I want a program and a head coach that I respect, admire and am proud to say represents our university. And we have that guy in Pikiell.

At what time will it be ok to raise expectations and want a 2nd weekend visit in the tourney? Time wise im talking how many years would pike have to be coach here. Cc: @ScarletDave
I’d say Sweet 16 should be the expectation not next year but the year after. Gavin a sophomore, Derrick a junior, the 24 kids ie Ace and hopefully Harper as freshmen. That team should be a top 16 team in America. To expect to have a top 16 team when for 30 years (don’t think you’re grasping this) no kids saw us in March is not reasonable.

If you wanted that right away the only way would have been to sell out and hire a schmuck like Rick Pitino, etc or try to steal some other big name like Shaka Smart etc, to try to get all portal players for a 1 year run; but realize that 7 years ago and even 3/4 years ago Rutgers HAD NO MONEY to afford a coach like that because we do not get the same share of $$ as the rest of Big Ten and are working our way up. Pike with all these raises is not even AVERAGE paid in the Big Ten! And you want us in the top 16 national right now or sooner! And Elon Musk’s checks didn’t clear yet !!!

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Frankly that if he stays stuck in neutral weve made it impossible to move on from him.

Lets give a situation as im curious to hear your response. Lets say in March 2026 were sitting here and in the past 3 years (2024, 2025, 2026) weve missed the tourney in 2024, made it in 2025 and 2026 and won 1 total tourney game 2025 and 2026. Pike wouldve finished year 10 and remained in neutral. Are you okay with that?

I know most here are. Most are fine with a program who sneaks into the tourney and does nothing more and are satisfied we have a nice guy as a coach. I get it. Just curious your thoughts
You have no freakin idea what MOST people here expect out of basketball and Pike, you Smurf SHU troll.

Reactions: mugrat86
You have no freakin idea what MOST people here expect out of basketball and Pike, you Smurf SHU troll.
So elaborate on

1) what your expect/what your expectations are

2) when would it be fair to question pikes performance?

^ you wont answer those tho

Im not complaining regarding where were at. I thought wed take a step back this year and we did.

What in complaining about is weve basically written the guy a blank check and continue to extend this blank check every year. I think its fair to criticize how extension happy hobbs is

We didn’t take a step back. Didn’t we actually have better overall metrics this year? Same number of losses. No losses like Lafayette. Same exact situation last year. For whatever reason, our teams did better against the best teams than poor or average teams in conference. Last year - there were simply more opportunities against elite teams in conference. We were also way better against horrible teams this year. Pretty much a wash.

Reactions: Scarlet83
We didn’t take a step back. Didn’t we actually have better overall metrics this year? Same number of losses. No losses like Lafayette. Same exact situation last year. For whatever reason, our teams did better against the best teams than poor or average teams in conference. Last year - there were simply more opportunities against elite teams in conference. We were also way better against horrible teams this year. Pretty much a wash.
We’ve been on a decline since 2019-2020 though it was a high place to fall from and the fall hasn’t been too steep.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
So elaborate on

1) what your expect/what your expectations are

2) when would it be fair to question pikes performance?

^ you wont answer those tho
Against my instincts, I will answer this one time and one time only, so hopefully you go away.

I expect Pike to lead our program to continued basketball success, but I don’t expect a straight line up.

I expect recruiting to continue to improve, which it has. We have only had one coaching staff recruit like this for one period, going to the early 1970’s. I believe Pike will continue to bring in guys that are good people, work hard, are talented and want to win.

I believe Pike will lead R Hoops program to top 5/16 B1G finishes going forward, a B1G championship, NCAA Tournament births almost every year, and eventually elite 8 and final fours. And Pike has said many times that there are his goals also (but you ignore that, don’t you).

Pike has breathed huge life into a program that was dead for 30 years. Pike has made R Hoops exciting and he is one of the best coaches in the nation. I expect a lot of Pike, because he is that good.

Now, just go away, you look at me, SHU loving troll of a Smurf.

Last edited:
We’ve been on a decline since 2019-2020 though it was a high place to fall from and the fall hasn’t been too steep.
We haven’t been on the decline. Please. We’ve been even steady pretty much every year. Very consistent. Hard to get even more so. In 2019-20 we couldn’t buy a win away from home against anyone but Nebraska until the last week of the season. Different issues each year, yes. A few plays were the difference between results for all seasons. That’s pretty remarkable actually.

If its not the truth than answer me this.

Would you be satisfied with the following

Lets give a situation as im curious to hear your response. Lets say in March 2026 were sitting here and in the past 3 years (2024, 2025, 2026) weve missed the tourney in 2024, made it in 2025 and 2026 and won 1 total tourney game 2025 and 2026. Pike wouldve finished year 10 and remained in neutral. Are you okay with that?
No, and most people wouldn't be. The level of talent coming in the next couple years is at a different level

Do I think we will win 1 tournament game over the next 3 years? No, I do not. Some of us have higher expectations than you

Reactions: Scarlet83
Im not so sure thatd be a bad thing then. Because we could land a VERY GOOD coach if we just gave him pikes identical contract.

April 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024: $3,250,000

April 1, 2024 through March 31, 2025: $3,500,000

April 1, 2025 through March 31, 2026: $3,750,000

April 1, 2026 through March 31, 2027: $3,850,000

April 1, 2027 through March 31, 2028: $3,950,000

April 1, 2028 through March 31, 2029: $4,050,000

April 1, 2029 through March 31, 2030: $4,150,000

April 1, 2030 through March 31, 2031: $4,250,000

Plus a $15,000,000 buy out. And pike has some $300K retention bonus’ built in there
Name the coach we would land with that contract.

In reality, it’s actually hard to nail down what position he holds. He’s an emotional reactionary. He jumped on Pike when the team struggled last year (he’ll be gone in two years), then he was “Pike-Stan” on Twitter when the team was hot… now he’s back on the Pike is average, will never get us there.

All I know is that before Pike, I really didn’t care much about RU bball, it was just waiting for the next embarrassment.

Now I’m a season ticket holder who travels to tournaments and gathers the family to watch selection Sunday. There are a lot of folks like me - as evidenced by the fact that the RAC is sold out and we’re competitive in NIL and recruiting.
Kyk said Eddie Jordan had more talent than this year's team. Then was saying what Pike was doing with this team was a miracle considering the lack of talent

So Pike is had us 2nd place in the B1G with Eddie Jordan talent, but now with multiple 4 and 5 star recruits coming in he's not expecting the team to be good?

Makes zero sense

No one thinks we’re going to be average - and it seems like you’ve created a straw man in your head to argue against. No one wants average. We all want to put banner after banner in the rafters.

Look at what’s coming in 23 and 24. Pike has given no indication that this program has plateaued. And because he has created such a great culture, we’ve got former players who are very engaged and stewarding this program even higher.
kyk is king of the straw man and moving goal posts

No sane fan would think the program has plateaued when the coach brings in the highest rated recruit in Rivals history next year and then breaks that record with an even better recruit the following year. Especially when he has bashed the recruiting and talent level. Now it's at another level like he wanted so instead of increasing expectations he's now switching to we won't be able to win with 5 stars

A roster full of 5 star freshman one and done players isn't always a good thing, but we won't have that. You sprinkle in one or two of those types with 4 star talent that will be around for years, transfers when needed to plug holes, a couple under recruited gems. That's a roster that can do some damage

Name the coach we would land with that contract.
Mitch Henderson, Micah Shrewsbury to start. Obviously we werent firing pike this year but couldve gotten chris beard for that amount. Him and pikes salary are identical next year. Que up the *tHe gUy aCcUsEd oF hItTiNg hIs wIfE!? LoL*

Mitch Henderson, Micah Shrewsbury to start. Obviously we werent firing pike this year but couldve gotten chris beard for that amount. Him and pikes salary are identical next year. Que up the *tHe gUy aCcUsEd oF hItTiNg hIs wIfE!? LoL*

Actually he was arrested in November of last year for strangeling and biting his Fiance. Charges were later dropped after in what was a prepared statement she retracted that he strangled her and when she broke his glasses it lead to the struggle. Note that she had bites and brusies on arms and legs. We get it though.....you support DV as part of "winning at all costs". PS....are you familiar with the differences between the media in the greater NYC area and that around Austin? RU and Beard would be eaten alive in this market.

Kyk said Eddie Jordan had more talent than this year's team. Then was saying what Pike was doing with this team was a miracle considering the lack of talent

So Pike is had us 2nd place in the B1G with Eddie Jordan talent, but now with multiple 4 and 5 star recruits coming in he's not expecting the team to be good?

Makes zero sense

kyk is king of the straw man and moving goal posts

No sane fan would think the program has plateaued when the coach brings in the highest rated recruit in Rivals history next year and then breaks that record with an even better recruit the following year. Especially when he has bashed the recruiting and talent level. Now it's at another level like he wanted so instead of increasing expectations he's now switching to we won't be able to win with 5 stars

A roster full of 5 star freshman one and done players isn't always a good thing, but we won't have that. You sprinkle in one or two of those types with 4 star talent that will be around for years, transfers when needed to plug holes, a couple under recruited gems. That's a roster that can do some damage
Lotta fake news here. Said the roster from pikes 1st year had more talent than this years roster. That remains true. Difference is league is worse and guys now know what he wants on D.

2016-2017
Starters- Corey Sanders, Nigel Johnson, Mike Williams, Deshawn Freeman, CJ Gettys

Bench- Eugene O, Issa Thiam, Candido Sa, Shaq Doorson, Jon Laurent

2022-2023
Starters- Paul, Spencer, Caleb, Mag, Cliff
Bench- Simpson, Hyatt, Oskar, woolfork, miller, reiber

I take 2016-2017 talent

That take is why most don't take you seriously. Also 2016-17 Eugene O was useless as a player.

That take is why most don't take you seriously. Also 2016-17 Eugene O was useless as a player.
I agree eugene sucked 2016-2017. I still think its hard to make a case that this years roster had more talent than 2016-2017.

I agree eugene sucked 2016-2017. I still think its hard to make a case that this years roster had more talent than 2016-2017.
You weren’t saying this a month ago. You were ready to blow Pike then

Just count how many appreciate where we are now

And how many have ridiculous complaints

Puts this small vocal minority of Kyle etc into perspective. Don’t let the few negatives ruin the reality

Reactions: bleachersown
Henderson been at his alma mater 11 years and has only two NCAA appearances. He’s leaving?

Shrews is making a lateral big ten move?

Henderson been at his alma mater 11 years and has only two NCAA appearances. He’s leaving?

Shrews is making a lateral big ten move?
Pitino. Again its all a silly convo because pike aint getting canned. But what does our $$$ buy? Guys like that.

You’re living in a dream world if you think RU should hire a Pitino, a Beard or an Oats. I went to an event last year with a bunch of Texas exs where Beatd spoke and he was a madman who dropped f bombs like he just got off a ship. Even the Texas boosters were shocked. The Tech supporters were not surprised as that’s his m.o.

If I was the AD here I’d also have extended Pike without a second guess. The RAC is full, the team is more than competitive with any team in the conference, the coach is all class and is well recognized in the industry as one of the better HCs in the biz. Why take the chance that some school tries to poach now or in the future especially with two good classes coming in and several more four and five stars possible.

Put another way we didn’t pay Tom Young and entered the wilderness. Why take that chance? I am sure the experts at the Hoboken Y will disagree but that’s why they’re at the Hoboken Y.

Reactions: S_Janowski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT