ADVERTISEMENT

It's Over!

Yes, I remember your Dad as a young boy in central Nebraska. I am a big Yankee fan and remember your Dad as a player and retired as well. Truly in a league of his own. A treasure that when he said something I really believed it. I truly thank to have known him from afar. Dick in Nebraska!!!

Also from Nebraska.

My grandpa's favorite team was the Yankees...Yogi, Mickey and Whitey were his favorite players. It was impossible not to be a fan of Yogi's.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
I am old enough to have seen your dad play and young enough to remember it. As a kid, we would go to Rizzuto and Berra lanes, drink Yoo Hoo and hope your dad would stop by. On occasion, he did. I had the honor of sitting next to him on a plane ride to Cleveland.years ago. He was soft spoken, and warm and lit up the room. I have "The Yogi Book" on my desk, and whenever I need to smile, I read a page or two. I love your mom's explanatoin and Yogi defending the logic of what he said. My favorite is when the pizza guy asked him if he wanted the pie cut into six or eight pieces. He said, "Six, because I can't eat eight".

He will be missed.

Zap,

Your father was a true legend, and I feel honored to have gotten to meet him once in my life. I will never forget the experience, and America will never forget Yogi Berra.

All the best to you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Zappaa....condolences to you and your entire family.....may you know no more sorrow.

To quote you......."this board will act appropriately when it is appropriate"

CPrU_4pVEAAe85N.jpg

God bless!
Hope to see Yogi in Monument Park soon. My condolences from way out in Oregon. I have been a Yogi fan for almost 60 years. Yogi was/is always the guy I thought of when Yankees were a topic of conservation. So long to the most beloved Yankee of all-time!.

1220beav

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Saw this retweet from Johnny Bench. This is the telegram when he broke Yogi's HR record. I like the "Zappaa" mention.

CPmmuL0WsAAT5Z0.jpg:large

That Johnny Bench kept this all these years and thought about it enough to tweet it.. says a lot about both Yogi and Bench. How many perfectly normal kids ended up putting on the tools of ignorance because of guys like this in the position?

Reactions: SHUSource
Condolences Dale.

And, he's up.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for all your kind words, this board is a special place, and you've made me feel better.

Dad is in a far better place, he went to sleep with his three sons at his side and never woke up, he is at peace and with my mom...
My moms birthday is tomorrow and he's there in time for the party, with a nice Vodka on the rocks in his hand.

God bless all of you

Nice article written by Jim Hague, who is an old friend and colleague of mine...

A wonderful life: Berra family gathers at Yogi's museum and the memories keep tumbling out

Yogi Berra's oldest granddaughter Lindsay Berra, left, and Dale Berra, son of the New York Yankees hall of fame catcher, listen as Larry Berra speaks about the passing of their father at the Yogi Berra Museum, Thursday, Sept. 24, 2015, in Little Falls, N.J. Berra died Tuesday at the age of 90. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/a...-life-berra-family-reminisces-at-yogis-museum

Last edited:
One of the greatest Yogi Berra stories you may have never heard | Big League Stew -

When Phil Rizzuto became ill toward the end of his life, he was put in an assisted living facility, which was about 30 minutes away from where Yogi lived. And every single day, because teammates were important to him, he would drive there, and he would play cards with Phil. And then when Phil would start to fall asleep, Yogi would hold his hand and when Phil would finally go to sleep, that’s when Yogi would leave. Every day. That’s what teammates meant to him.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...ories-you-might-not-have-heard-193333507.html

So many beautiful thoughts.
Just want to add that I thought today's normally hated SL did a wonderful job with their coverage.
Haven't read Politi's article yet though, other articles I thought were special.
BTW, Yogi is 1 of those people you would have loved to have spent a day (or obviously more time) with, but I also wouldn't mind spending time with Jerry Izenberg.

Dale

Sorry for your loss

What a life, and I'm sure you often say, What a dad.

Peace be with you, your dad, and your family.

Condolences to the Berra family. Yogi was also my Dad's along with several of my Uncle's favorite ballplayer.

Many historical and unforgettable plays in baseball history involved Yogi.
- Don Larson's perfect game '56 WS.
- Bill Mazeroski's HR '60 WS
- Jackie Robinson stealing home in '55 WS.
- Sandy Amoros' catch in '55 WS.

RIP Yogi, you'll be missed.

As long as there are players with a physique that don't fit the mold ....
As long as there are players that knock 'bad pitches' over the outfield wall ...
As long as there are players that play a "game" with total professionalism and total joy ...
... whenever things are said that simultaneously make no sense - yet all the sense in the world...
The spirit of Yogi will live on and on and on ....

What a life and family! His kids inherited his athletics and sense of humor. I love the title of this topic

Zapaa.....what words can we speak to do the wonderful ''Yoge'' justice..he was truly a gift to NJ and became Mr NJ to all of us who grew up watching him. He was everyones dad here in Essex county growing up and I never heard 1 negative word about him.He was warm,funny and most of all real and unique. Most of all he made us laugh no matter how down we were...he was truly an American icon who will live forever in our hearts and minds..thank's Yogi. RIP knowing you'll never be forgotten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT