ADVERTISEMENT

It's Over!

Zap, condolences to your family. I hope you and your family can find some peace. I know your Dad lived a long and colorful life, and you must have some amazing memories to look back on. I know you have mentioned what a good father and husband Yogi was. He was also a sports hero to many people, including me, and I know he will be missed.

3 time American league MVP, 18 time all-star, and of course a 10 time World Series champion. Just an amazing career.

RIP Yogi.

Zappaa,

Your dad has been a treasure forever. There aren't many people that can be said of. He was a special person.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Prayers for your family and your dads friends, he definitely had many.

Had an uncle who met him once and said he was so genuine and just a regular guy.

I've been a Yankees fan for decades and didn't get to see him play but by video yet he was always a true favorite.

Condolences and prayers for you and your family, Zap. Your father is an icon.

Prayers to you & the family. Very sad for me. Your pa was a hero to me, growing up in the 50's, I wanted to be like Yogi. As a kid playing ball or now at age 68, I've never met anyone who did not like your pa, never heard anyone say anything bad about him. Man, that says it all about your dad. He was all class.

It is a sad day, but I do thank God for the loan of your pa. God Bless.

635785810470943602-97301503.jpg

Zap, you are a great son, and he was a great man..My Dad got to meet him a few years back, and he talked to my dad like an old friend..They had things in common, Italian, WW2, etc..But just a great moment, and he is in Heaven for sure..They don't make em like that no more. God Bless you in this time of loss...but celebrate his life!
photo.php

Zappa - my deepest sympathies to you and your family.....Your Dad was a great man that all should aspire to be.....

Deepest sympathies - Yogi was an extremely special person. When 10 WS victories, a H of F plaque and a museum, as well as iconic cultural status and top ethics, still fail to capture the full spectrum of an individual, it says something.

If I had a Yankees hat, I would wear it today in his honor....

...and I hate the Yankees.

The fat lady has sung for Yogi. May he rest in peace. He was a true American original. Deepest condolences to the family...

My sincere sympathies are with you, Zappaa. To us, your dad was an idol, one of the greatest ballplayers of all time, and, you could say, the greatest winner in baseball history. And all this while displaying the kind of humility that was hard to reconcile with his stature in sports and in American life. But to you, he was a father, which makes this all the more real to you. We all grieve with you and your family today.

When I was a kid, there were only two people who were spoken of reverently in my house by my mother: Phil Rizzuto and Yogi. When she was growing up in Clifton in the late '40s and through the '50s, both men were a symbol of such strong Italian pride for her family. But they also, I came to understand later, provided context for memories of her father that my mom was able to pass onto me. My grandfather died just weeks after my folks married in 1969, and just a year before I was born. I never knew him, but I remember watching Yankees games as a kid, listening to Rizzuto, and the WPIX cameras often caught your dad on the bench, and that would start my mother down the road of recollection about how terrific these guys were when she was younger, and how much they meant to her father. Sometimes, she would even get a little teary-eyed, and I couldn't quite believe she was so emotional about these guys, as iconic as they were - a fact I well understood. But as I got older, I realized they were a living connection between her late father and the grandson he never knew, a vessel through which she was able to make me understand him, while holding up men like your dad as someone to be honored an emulated.

So, to that end, and not at all to diminish the loss you feel today, Yogi was a part of our family, too. God bless yours.

Reactions: borochop
My thoughts are with you and your entire family. It is a blessing to know that he touched so many peoples lives and lived his life to the fullest, with such integrity and honesty.

I'll make sure to cut my pizza into 4 slices today, because no one is hungry enough for 6.

And, he's up.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for all your kind words, this board is a special place, and you've made me feel better.

Dad is in a far better place, he went to sleep with his three sons at his side and never woke up, he is at peace and with my mom...
My moms birthday is tomorrow and he's there in time for the party, with a nice Vodka on the rocks in his hand.

God bless all of you

Yogi was the only Yankee who could put on a Mets uniform and not get me pissed at him.:cry:

And, he's up.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for all your kind words, this board is a special place, and you've made me feel better.

Dad is in a far better place, he went to sleep with his three sons at his side and never woke up, he is at peace and with my mom...
My moms birthday is tomorrow and he's there in time for the party, with a nice Vodka on the rocks in his hand.

God bless all of you

Zappaa, everyone's thoughts are with you today. I became a Yankee fan at 7 years old in 1958, and I have lots of memories of your dad as a player and manager. I remember that in '58, he hit a home run against the Milwaukee Braves in the 7th game to clinch the win for the Yankees. (That was the Series in which the Yankees came from a 3-1 deficit to win.) And your dad always was a class act. We'll all miss him, and I know you and your brothers will miss him too. Losing a dad is hard, no matter how old one is.

My condolences Zap.

I lost my Dad earlier this year too. He was an old Navy guy as well. Also kinda plugged into the NY sports scene too - he worked at MSG for over 30 years. I never brought it up here - it's still pretty painful.

I wish you and your family comfort.

Reactions: borochop
And, he's up.

God bless all of you
All the best

Your Dad is in a better place.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

I heard that the Yankees will be wearing #8 tonight on their arms in remembrance.

Sorry for your loss....

Zap, deepest condolences to you and your family. I grew up in the town next door where a lot a baseball fans spanning multiple generations lived. Your father was revered by all. He left a lot of wonderful memories that spanned the generations.

My prayers and condolences go out to you and your family. Yogi was a marvelous player and an even greater human being. He will be missed.

Zappaa, condolences to you and your family. Sure seemed like he lead a full and varied life that many would aspire to. Serving his country, raising a family, not to mention winning more World Series rings than anyone has or probably will.

Jesus Dale I don't know how you found it in you to post today, but, THANK YOU for those words they mean a lot to all of us Yankee/Yogi/"Zappa" fans out here!

My condolences, Zapp. My uncle caddied for him a few times. Wish your family well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT