ADVERTISEMENT

It's Over!

My sincere condolences. Everybody loved Yogi, even Brooklyn Dodger fans.
Even L.A. Dodger fans, like this one. The world is a poorer place now that Yogi is gone. Sincere condolences to you and your family, Zappaa.

Just made a lunch date with two friends who are Yankee fans, so we can all raise a toast to Yogi.
Very much looking forward to it.

God bless Zap, and best wishes. Perhaps the only Yankee even a die-hard Mets fan could love.

I am truly very sorry for your loss. I recently lost my son and know of the deep pain of losing someone you love. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Your father was a true legend and will be missed.

Yogi deserves all the respect in the world and the world is a little less with his passing.
Famous Veterans: Yogi Berra | Military.com
>When Yogi turned 18, he put his baseball career on pause and joined the Navy in 1943. Trained as a gunner's mate, Yogi worked on a rocket launching boat and served on D-Day. He said about the invasion that "Being a young guy, you didn‘t think nothing of it until you got in it. And so we went off 300 yards off beach. We protect the troops." For the next twelve days his boat was ordered to shoot down enemy aircraft. They accidentally shot down an American plane, but managed to save the pilot. He went on to serve in a second assault on France for which he received a medal from the French government.

Sixty years later, he received the Lone Sailor award from the U.S. Navy Memorial, an honor given to sailors who use skills learned in the service to advance their careers. The president and Navy Memorial CEO said, "Our honorees are living examples of how service to country changes lives and helps develop leaders."<

http://www.military.com/veteran-job...ary-transition/famous-veteran-yogi-berra.html

After Yogi's playing days and before he managed the mets, I remember Yogi from the yoo-hoo commercials.

In 1993, the nation's paper of record ran a story on yogi and Yoohoo.

I really liked this part..

In his 1989 autobiography, Mr. Berra wrote: "One time I was in the office and the phone rang when no one else was around. I always answer a ringing phone, so I did. The woman who was calling asked if Yoo-Hoo was hyphenated. I said, 'No ma'am, it's not even carbonated.' "

Yoohoo, Yogi. Yoohoo up there.. its over.. and it ain't over.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss Zappa...its a sad day day for everyone. He was truly one of the good guys and his contribution to society reached far beyond the baselines.

“If I didn’t wake up, I’d still be sleeping.”

Thanks for taking the time to post Dale. Best wishes. He left this world knowing the Mets and Yanks are BOTH in the playoffs this year. And the Pirates (for you) to boot.

I never met him but feel like I know him. The closest that I was to him was at Rutgers. I remember looking at all the golf carts while tailgating in the Yellow lot to see if Yogi was in it on the way to the stadium. Then the excitement of finally seeing him on the sideline and out for the coin flip.

Dale, I first met you at one of the early Rutgersfan tailgates and then in passing a few more times. You and Tim, who I also met a couple of times, were always friendly and polite - something that I'm sure is a reflection of your dad.

I've never been much of a hard alcohol guy but think that I'll have a vodka on the rocks later in his memory.

I am sure this is a difficult time, but you should be very proud.

And, he's up.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for all your kind words, this board is a special place, and you've made me feel better.

Dad is in a far better place, he went to sleep with his three sons at his side and never woke up, he is at peace and with my mom...
My moms birthday is tomorrow and he's there in time for the party, with a nice Vodka on the rocks in his hand.

God bless all of you
So I guess Fr. Dowd will be busy this weekend? LOL

@zappaa...As I said in the other thread...

An American Treasure!

We were the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Sorry Zapp, your dad reminded me of my parents, just lost my mom in March, 88+, had dementia. Good parents are priceless.

I posted some thoughts in the other thread, but I just wanted to mention how much I loved zappaa's title for this one. It made me smile, a sad smile, but a smile nonetheless!

Condolences to you & your family Zappa. As a died in the wool Brooklyn fan, your Dad was a great ballplayer.

My condolences Zappa to you and your family. The outpouring of affection for your father has been amazing. Not sure I've ever seen a man so beloved by all. For those of us who are both a Yankee fan and a Rutgers fan he holds a special place in our hearts.

RIP Yogi!

My condolences to you and your family. I don't post often but I wanted to share this. My wife sent me this text at 4:18 today at work - "Andrew is obsessed watching Yogi Berra stuff on TV". Andrew is my 11 year old son who loves baseball and is a huge Yankee fan. Just shows how amazing Yogi truly was and how baseball history is past down for the ages. He will always be remembered by this generation and many more...

One of my oldest baseball memories is taking off from school to watch Game 7 of the 1956 World Series, when your dad hit two home runs over my Brooklyn Dodgers. It made me become a card carrying Yankee hater, to this day. However there were some Yankees whom I always respected - including Yogi, Bobby Richardson, Tino Martinez and Mariano. During the 1973 season I was a sportswriter for The News Tribune of Woodbridge and was actually in the manager's office at Shea Stadium when Yogi made his famous "It's not over" quote. He also said a few times a variation of that' "You're not out of it until you're out of it." When my Dad died in 2006 it was said by many that nobody could say a bad word about my father. They say that about Yogi - what a blessing a son could have.

From this lifelong Red Sox fan, nothing but respect for Mr. Berra as a person and as a baseball player.

Rest well Mr. Berra and Godspeed.

Sorry for your loss Zappa. You and your family will be in our prayers.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Though I never meet Yogi everything I've heard about him makes him sound like a great man. He will be missed.

Whenever I think about Yogi, it makes me smile. I cannot think of any one else that commands such a reaction.
R.I.P. Yogi

He may have passed but he will never be forgotten. A true legend.

YOGI, JOE D, MICKEY, AND OTHERS are together again and baseball is alive and well in heaven,,,they need the best catcher who ever played the game..RIP YOGI----
I was a Yankee fan when these guys were at their best and still remain a fan….May God be with you and your family, he got the best to come play for him..
Joe Majors, Beaverton Or.

And, he's up.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for all your kind words, this board is a special place, and you've made me feel better.

Dad is in a far better place, he went to sleep with his three sons at his side and never woke up, he is at peace and with my mom...
My moms birthday is tomorrow and he's there in time for the party, with a nice Vodka on the rocks in his hand.

God bless all of you
Yes, I remember your Dad as a young boy in central Nebraska. I am a big Yankee fan and remember your Dad as a player and retired as well. Truly in a league of his own. A treasure that when he said something I really believed it. I truly thank to have known him from afar. Dick in Nebraska!!!

Your Dad was a true American legend and hero, and even with all that and with all of his accomplishments, he was always humble.

He was one of a kind and the world is a bit more empty without him. -But he's now at peace and with your Mom, and I'm sure there were never two people who've earned the blessing of spending eternity together in Paradise more than them.

And even though your parents may not be here physically any longer, they'll always be with you and your brothers. ...That will never change.

My sincere sympathies on your loss to you and your entire family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT