ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan or Who ?

MADHAT1

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
Since many of you claim Jordan was a terrible hire:who ( realistically) would have taken the job with the salary RU is paying Jordan, the length of contract offered and the same facilities Eddie has to work with.
Don't forget the needed PR boost after the Rice fieasco and Hurley not the job.
Think choices were slim to none and the best candidates might have been someone that wouldn't give RU the PR it needed at the time, but someone that would be bashed by most of the Eddie is a terrible hire crowd and the media claiming a school like Rutgers should have done better.

So who would you say would come to a career killer , like Jordan did?
This might be his last stop before retiring, but coaches wityh a future might have looked at Rutgers as the end of their HCing career if they took the job with the same type of contract and support offered to Eddie.

The name game starts with the first reply , because I can't think of a name brand or up and comer that would take the job with the same terms Eddie Jordan did.

Steve Masiello of Manhattan College. Two NCAA appearances the past two years including a 2nd round appearance last season. He probably had more college credits than Eddie did when he took the job. He may still be a good candidate if we jettison Eddie down the road.

I would have given Hurley the 7 years. You want another name? How about someone with Rutgers ties who was Head Coach in the B1G? Brian Ellerbe.

Masiello is not coming here.

I have to admit Ellerbe is the best name I have heard thus far as far as the possibility of accepting an offer. But the question is would an assistant at an A-10 school actually have enough pop to get the recruiting done to even slightly turn this around.

Originally posted by MADHAT1:
Since many of you claim Jordan was a terrible hire:who ( realistically) would have taken the job with the salary RU is paying Jordan, the length of contract offered and the same facilities Eddie has to work with.
Don't forget the needed PR boost after the Rice fieasco and Hurley not the job.
Think choices were slim to none and the best candidates might have been someone that wouldn't give RU the PR it needed at the time, but someone that would be bashed by most of the Eddie is a terrible hire crowd and the media claiming a school like Rutgers should have done better.

So who would you say would come to a career killer , like Jordan did?
This might be his last stop before retiring, but coaches wityh a future might have looked at Rutgers as the end of their HCing career if they took the job with the same type of contract and support offered to Eddie.

The name game starts with the first reply , because I can't think of a name brand or up and comer that would take the job with the same terms Eddie Jordan did.
Its not that Jordan was a bad choice then. Its that RU will continue to get Jordanesque performances as long as it continues to pay ultra low salaries.

If we have $3 million a year either for facilities bond payments or an increase in coaching salaries, the better bet would be on coaching.

Did he send any feelers when the job was open? He is 'from the Pitino tree and I'm certain Pitino would have advised him to stay away unless Rutgers committed to better facilities. Pitino ripped Rutgers for it's poor facilities for Rutgers.

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Masiello most certainly would come if offered
Have you seen this guy's sideline antics? It would be Mike Rice part II.

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:

Did he send any feelers when the job was open? He is 'from the Pitino tree and I'm certain Pitino would have advised him to stay away unless Rutgers committed to better facilities. Pitino ripped Rutgers for it's poor facilities for Rutgers.
I believe he was one of the ones mentioned as a fallback option if Jordan turned it down.

I think Masiello would have been a realistic hire. He went to USF and while they have some new facilities I don't consider them much better than us and our prospects in the future when we start getting larger shares of B10 revenue. I'd definitely think he's realistic now even if you didn't think so then. There's a JH connection with Louisville/Pitino and him so I think the possibility is there in the future.

At that time I wasn't so hot on him but I feel better about him after being able to get another NCAA tourney appearance and doing so after losing some of his better players. Like I've always said you want to see consistency and the more consistency you see with changing faces and over time the better you feel. Still would like to see more but he did a nice job this year.

Again if a new coach is necessary, it's likely to be in a year and most likely 2. Most coaches get minimum 4 years in basketball. Also I've said if a new coach is necessary his contract is going to overlap our receiving a full share of B10 revenue so it might make the job more attractive to some candidates.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:
Steve Masiello of Manhattan College. Two NCAA appearances the past two years including a 2nd round appearance last season. He probably had more college credits than Eddie did when he took the job. He may still be a good candidate if we jettison Eddie down the road.
I think you are right...remember, USF hired Masiello last March...only to cancel that hire the following day when USF found out that Masiello didn't have a college degree (never finished at UK...but recently did online work to complete his degree).

Ironically, O. Antigua was getting mentioned as a fallback offer for St Johns....he's one year in at USF, but would probably succeed better here in tristate area vs down in Tampa at Florida....perhaps not a splash hire that many believe you need to have to hire someone off of an NCAA appearance, but RU will succeed only by reaching for a coach that is at that level earlier than he appears to be and letting him earn his increases in salary up the food chain.

Originally posted by NewJerseyHawk:

Ironically, O. Antigua was getting mentioned as a fallback offer for St Johns....he's one year in at USF, but would probably succeed better here in tristate area vs down in Tampa at Florida....perhaps not a splash hire that many believe you need to have to hire someone off of an NCAA appearance, but RU will succeed only by reaching for a coach that is at that level earlier than he appears to be and letting him earn his increases in salary up the food chain.
If Antigua starts turning USF he will be red hot and gone quickly. Maisello would start out on foot from Draddy Gym to the RAC for the job. He would have been a better hire at SJU then Mullin. Brian Ellerbe is one of my all time favorite players - but that would be an awful hire.

This post was edited on 3/30 10:24 AM by ruman

This post was edited on 3/30 10:26 AM by ruman

Down the road, but I asked before Jordan was hired.
If RU hired Steve.the PR would have killed the program even more once RU had to drop him for the same reason USF did:
"Fudged his college record"!
Being a favorite son and it being RU's mess up about graduating, the PR wasn't bad enough to overshadow the good PR
hiring Jordan gave.

All things considered: "Steve Masiello of Manhattan College" would have been a worse hire and RU would have had to dump him ASAP ( like USF did) once it came out he lied on his resume about being a Kentucky graduate.

Originally posted by derleider:

Its not that Jordan was a bad choice then. Its that RU will continue to get Jordanesque performances as long as it continues to pay ultra low salaries.

If we have $3 million a year either for facilities bond payments or an increase in coaching salaries, the better bet would be on coaching.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^ I can agree with.

All things equal...yes. However the lack of bond principal and interest payments on facility inflates the cost of coaches. this turns $2M in to $3.5M

1 more year of this and I would vote for Who. Perhaps even Sheridan if he has graduated by then.

Hurley should have gotten the 7 years. As much as I want HIM to succeed, I just don't think he has the energy for the college game. We need at least two Corey Sanders's per class. College BB is a hustle.

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:
David Cox.
Good choice, but being Rice's assistant would make hiring David a bad PR move.
As good as it would have been, the bad PR would have made his hire a very bad PR move.

Either Danny or Bobby are the correct answer. We should have invested in Danny Hurley, given him 7 years or whatever he wanted and trusted it. Would have given instant local credibility, good PR, backing of Bob Sr. He's young, energetic and already successful. Likely keeps Eli Carter in the fold. Also recruiting at a higher level for URI than Eddie is for RU. It was an obvious choice.

I also would have been interested in someone like Seth Greenberg -- local guy from Long Island, personable guy now on ESPN and did ok at Va Tech. Knows how to manage a program.

I liked the Fraschilla idea. Thought he was a good coach with local connections and Euro connections which would have replenished roster most likely. Prob couldn't have hired him due to his termination at St. Johns, and grabbing his balls, telling the team they needed to play with a set.

I think Richard Pitino was not yet hired by Minnesota at that time. I liked him. Would have been difficult to hand the keys over to someone that green though.

However, all things considered, Eddie was not a bad hire at the time. Good PR move, NBA pedigree, loyal son, etc. Problem is that he doesn't seem to have the personality to get it done on the recruiting trail. A college coach has to be a grinder, or have grinders as asst. coaches. I just don't see it in him.

Originally posted by DoctorCrip:

Either Danny or Bobby are the correct answer. We should have invested in Danny Hurley, given him 7 years or whatever he wanted and trusted it. Would have given instant local credibility, good PR, backing of Bob Sr. He's young, energetic and already successful. Likely keeps Eli Carter in the fold. Also recruiting at a higher level for URI than Eddie is for RU. It was an obvious choice.

I also would have been interested in someone like Seth Greenberg -- local guy from Long Island, personable guy now on ESPN and did ok at Va Tech. Knows how to manage a program.

I liked the Fraschilla idea. Thought he was a good coach with local connections and Euro connections which would have replenished roster most likely. Prob couldn't have hired him due to his termination at St. Johns, and grabbing his balls, telling the team they needed to play with a set.

I think Richard Pitino was not yet hired by Minnesota at that time. I liked him. Would have been difficult to hand the keys over to someone that green though.

However, all things considered, Eddie was not a bad hire at the time. Good PR move, NBA pedigree, loyal son, etc. Problem is that he doesn't seem to have the personality to get it done on the recruiting trail. A college coach has to be a grinder, or have grinders as asst. coaches. I just don't see it in him.
Good post - the Danny Hurley decision is the latest bad decision to haunt Rutgers (No Big East, Bannon, Hill, Rice). Seth Greenberg would not have been as feel good a choice as Eddie, but did run an ACC program with moderate sucess.

It is time to be realistic about where we are headed with Eddie Jordan.

What Eddie is:

1. A really loyal son
2. A really nice guy
3. Someone who does things the right way

What he is not:

1. A good or even average college basketball coach
2. A good evaluator or recruiter of players
3. Someone who can develop and make players better

Summary: He is NOT the answer to fixing this program and getting us on the right track.

So, my vote is for the WHO- whoever that may be!

Unless that coach was a GS clone who came in with a book of demands before hire, none of it matters.

It isn't the coach. It is what the coach has to offer.

Franny incident was 15+ years ago , the media has to give a pass in 2015!

I wouldn't have given him 7 years then and still wouldn't now. People are impatient as is and then you're going to give a 7 year contract out to a then and still unproven HC. A contract which would be tougher to come out from than the current one. The "mistake" if there was one to point to was not waiting on the hiring of an AD. Keep an interim coach for a year and then let the new AD make a hire. Leave it to a person with actual experience running or high up the food chain in the athletic department. OSU did that after Tressel. I'm never one to rush things if it isn't in our best interest and longer term ramifications aren't taken into account.

Of course many on the board were apoplectic that the program would be torn to shreds if a quick hire wasn't made and we see what a difference making that hire was. As typical with most messageboards the sky is falling attitude prevails and things must be done now now now without thinking of realistically how things should and can get done. I see the same now with facilities. Not that we don't need them, obviously we do but it's going to get done on a time table which is financially feasible for the health of the entire athletic department. As it is, I think some think the B10 revenue is some bottomless pot of gold. It's going to be great but there are limits of how much you can get done with it without private money supplementing as well.

As to the coaches mentioned. Frashcilla wasn't on the table like he was during the Rice hire and not having a facilities at that time was a non starter with him. Richard Pitino was already hired by Minnesota by the time we made a hire. Seth Greenberg would have been an "eh" hire but nothing to write home about and he wasn't mentioned either at the time. Hurley and EJ were the only names out there that I remember. If we had waited the year, Howland would have been out there for us if a new AD wanted him and a being out of it for a year might have made him more amenable to taking the position as we saw in that article I posted and his taking of the Mississippi St job. I don't know if he would have been the answer but I think he would have been a solid hire.

In any case, EJ will either get it done or he will be a transition coach after Rice and the next coach will have the B10 revenue to look forward too and prospects of a better future.

Originally posted by RUMcMahon:
Franny incident was 15+ years ago , the media has to give a pass in 2015!
JH's "stuff" was even longer and they made a big hub about that even though there was conflicting info about some of the stuff and at a time when coaching was different. There is no pass given by the media, the point is just to ignore them if it's nothing worthy of giving credence.

Originally posted by rutgersguy1:

I wouldn't have given him 7 years then and still wouldn't now. People are impatient as is and then you're going to give a 7 year contract out to a then and still unproven HC. A contract which would be tougher to come out from than the current one. The "mistake" if there was one to point to was not waiting on the hiring of an AD. Keep an interim coach for a year and then let the new AD make a hire. Leave it to a person with actual experience running or high up the food chain in the athletic department. OSU did that after Tressel. I'm never one to rush things if it isn't in our best interest and longer term ramifications aren't taken into account.

Of course many on the board were apoplectic that the program would be torn to shreds if a quick hire wasn't made and we see what a difference making that hire was. As typical with most messageboards the sky is falling attitude prevails and things must be done now now now without thinking of realistically how things should and can get done. I see the same now with facilities. Not that we don't need them, obviously we do but it's going to get done on a time table which is financially feasible for the health of the entire athletic department. As it is, I think some think the B10 revenue is some bottomless pot of gold. It's going to be great but there are limits of how much you can get done with it without private money supplementing as well.

As to the coaches mentioned. Frashcilla wasn't on the table like he was during the Rice hire and not having a facilities at that time was a non starter with him. Richard Pitino was already hired by Minnesota by the time we made a hire. Seth Greenberg would have been an "eh" hire but nothing to write home about and he wasn't mentioned either at the time. Hurley and EJ were the only names out there that I remember. If we had waited the year, Howland would have been out there for us if a new AD wanted him and a being out of it for a year might have made him more amenable to taking the position as we saw in that article I posted and his taking of the Mississippi St job. I don't know if he would have been the answer but I think he would have been a solid hire.

In any case, EJ will either get it done or he will be a transition coach after Rice and the next coach will have the B10 revenue to look forward too and prospects of a better future.
I think Jordan was a transition coach to the next guy. No one should doubt that fact. After the 5 year contract he will be 64. Not a bad retirement age. He was hired to calm the storm after the Rice fiasco. If things are moving in the right direction in year 4 he may get extended a few years and retire at 66. Hopefully, the B1G level facilities and RAC renovation or new arena plans will be in place. That would signal to the next coach that Rutgers is serious about Basketball.

If RU hired Steve.the PR would have killed the program even more once RU had to drop him for the same reason USF did:
Being a favorite son and it being RU's mess up about graduating, the PR wasn't bad enough to overshadow the good PR
hiring Jordan gave.

All things considered: "Steve Masiello of Manhattan College" would have been a worse hire and RU would have had to dump him ASAP ( like USF did) once it came out he lied on his resume about being a Kentucky graduate.
Actually, Masiello had already turned around a 6-25 Manhattan team into a 21 win and 14 win team before Jordan was hired. It can be argued that he was equal to or better than the Hurley brothers at that time as an up and coming HC candidate. The last two years have both been NCAA seasons with his recruits at Manhattan, a school with horrible facilities and the reputation as a doormat MAAC program. His experience at Louisville made him a guy with experience in a major conference with a winning history. He wasn't well known at RU when Jordan was hired but we should have been aware of him. Then again we rejected Ed Cooley, now at Providence for Mike Rice. We have been our own worst enemy with MBB coaching hires.

I'll pick the style, you pick the coach.

Run

We had "Waters Pressure" that sat back and packed the middle. 30 seconds and a shot. Then Mike Rice with "Controlled Chaos" which meant frantic half-court defense, walk it up offense. FHJ's give it to the star and let him shoot. EJ's Princeton offense which is no offfense at all. If there was anybody that should have had us running, shouldn't it be the leader of the team that ran best in the history of RU -- all the way to the way to the Final Four.

Running hides the need for 4 and 5 star talent. Sure, talent makes it go better, but pressing defense and running at every opportunity conceals a lot of warts. And what players doesn't want to play that style? If you're going to lose, why not 85-70 instead of 60-45. Fans will watch the former, leave midway through the second half with the latter (if they go at all). Get some excitement in the gym. Winning isn't the only way to do that.

The Barn was not exactly "state of the art" in the 60's and 70's, but we got players, won games, packed the house, and built the best era Rutgers BB has ever known.

Let's stop playing like we're trying to not embarass ourselves.

hiring Jordan gave.

Actually, Masiello had already turned around a 6-25 Manhattan team into a 21 win and 14 win team before Jordan was hired. It can be argued that he was equal to or better than the Hurley brothers at that time as an up and coming HC candidate. The last two years have both been NCAA seasons with his recruits at Manhattan, a school with horrible facilities and the reputation as a doormat MAAC program. His experience at Louisville made him a guy with experience in a major conference with a winning history. He wasn't well known at RU when Jordan was hired but we should have been aware of him. Then again we rejected Ed Cooley, now at Providence for Mike Rice. We have been our own worst enemy with MBB coaching hires.
I replied to why Masiello would have been a worse hire than Jordan, if RU hired him instead of Eddie:
>If RU hired Steve.the PR would have killed the program even more once RU had to drop him for the same reason USF did:
hiring Jordan gave

Boy are you guys in for a rude awakening. I will repeat, Masiello is not coming here. He almost screwed up his career with his last coaching move, he is going to be very very careful with his next move. No money no facilities so support dead end jobs are not the best career move.

If Jordan gets fired the next coach is going to be from nowhere. A coach who has a choice of either going to Rutgers or not having a job.

This post was edited on 3/31 12:30 AM by seels2662

cox was the ultimate transition guy...

cheap
keep players here
wouldnt have needed a long term contract
if it didnt work out we could have been searching for coach right now

now we are stuck in mud

Originally posted by seels2662:
Boy are you guys in for a rude awakening. I will repeat, Masiello is not coming here. He almost screwed up his career with his last coaching move, he is going to be very very careful with his next move. No money no facilities so support dead end jobs are not the best career move.

If Jordan gets fired the next coach is going to be from nowhere. A coach who has a choice of either going to Rutgers or not having a job.

Take it FWIW, but there was a poster on one of these boards who sounded pretty close to Masiello who felt he would have taken the job then and would take it now.

His last coaching move was screwed up because of his own doing not because of the school he went to and again if there is a next coach his tenure is going to overlap with the full revenue share of the B10, so the prospects will look better for some candidates out there. Shaka Smart/Gregg Marshall/Archie Miller those are names that I think are unrealistic but I don't think Masiello is right now.

Take it FWIW, but there was a poster on one of these boards who sounded pretty close to Masiello who felt he would have taken the job then and would take it now.

His last coaching move was screwed up because of his own doing not because of the school he went to and again if there is a next coach his tenure is going to overlap with the full revenue share of the B10, so the prospects will look better for some candidates out there. Shaka Smart/Gregg Marshall/Archie Miller those are names that I think are unrealistic but I don't think Masiello is right now.
Sorry I have to respectfully disagree with you. Unless we pull a rabbit out of our hat and this BOG and president magically starts supporting the team. No coach who has any career aspirations would take this job. How many people in the last 20 years ended their head coaching careers with Rutgers? That is not a good statistic.

Sorry I have to respectfully disagree with you. Unless we pull a rabbit out of our hat and this BOG and president magically starts supporting the team. No coach who has any career aspirations would take this job. How many people in the last 20 years ended their head coaching careers with Rutgers? That is not a good statistic.
Yes, but 3 of them were self inflicted.....Bannon, Hill and Rice. Only Waters left without some kind of turmoil/scandal.

Originally posted by NewJerseyHawk:

USF's Coach Orlando Antigua, grew up in the Bronx (born in the Dominican), has been hitting HS (and some JUCO's/transfers) that have some connection (personal/family) to the NYC area and/or Dominican connections.

One of his recent recruits, Luis Santos from the Bronx, is also Dominican, and signed with USF over offers from Seton Hall, Rutgers, et al.

Another USF signee, Luis Montero, another Dominican, is currently playing at Westchester Community College.

Antigua recruited most of the East Coast when he was with Cal at UK.

Obviously, and probably smartly, Antigua, one of the few hispanic HC's in college basketball, has been targeting the Dominican affiliated players, plus other spanish speaking players as some of his top targets....as 3 of his 4 signed recruits in this class are of hispanic heritage, 2 obviously from the Dominican.

Originally posted by MADHAT1:

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:
David Cox.
Good choice, but being Rice's assistant would make hiring David a bad PR move.
As good as it would have been, the bad PR would have made his hire a very bad PR move.
I am not so sure. Cox somehow was not being blamed for the Rice stuff..remember he was an assistant last year and somehow RU has allowed Macon to remain here as well. There is no evidence that they were ever involved with any wrongdoing. I think it could have been justified to just slide him over as interim. Before Jordan was hired there were rumblings that Cox might be hired and that the players were 100% behind him being coach and also some family members of players.

That's just a dumb comment...as every coach....from the HS Level, JUCO Level, Div III, Div II, Div I Level etc...all have career aspirations.

If true then our situation is really in the crapper. In the past almost every HC candidate who had other options rejected RU in favor of another school or staying put in their current position. Didn't Bill Herrion even turn us down ?

Although the the conference affiliation is a positive this time around, everything else about the RU MBB job is a strong negative.

not surprising that we ended up with the likes of Bannon, Hill and Rice. All three had serious flaws in their resumes and all had no other viable options other than RU. At this time I don't see how the situation has changed, so seels2662 is probably correct in his opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT