ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Samuel poached from SHU for $500K NIL deal

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
No one is forcing the schools to pay athletes. They’re free to not engage in pay for play. If they pay them it’s because they value them more than the money they’re paying them. The kids deserve the money schools are paying them, but I’m with you on it not being for NIL. That’s just a lie.

Contracts will fix this half-assed shit we’re seeing. Contracts will allow a school to lock up a 2 star for 4 years after they explode beyond expectation as the 2 star kid will have agreed to the terms in advance and assume the risk that he could become worth more to others later.
Schools arent paying them haha. Rich boosters are who are playing real life fantasy sports

I hate that its called NIL to begin with because their name image and likeness holds zero value. It should be called P4P.

Heard Carino speculate on his pod today that Samuel could be leaving for a $500K NIL deal. Hes not speculating and he may have the same source I do on this one. He got offered $500K and is gonna take it as seton hall cant come close to matching.

As many of you know, my uncle was an assistant to the AD at SHU in the 90’s which is why I grew up a SHU fan and while I dont have RU bball sources, I still do at the hall. Which is how I broke the news here as early as December 2021 that willard had not only already interviewed with maryland (did it week of RU @ SHU game too) but that he was taking the job.

The hall is fvckeddddd. They are broke as a joke and are about to be lumped in with depaul as the two cellar dwellers of the big east until the pay for play lunacy is sorted out if it ever is. Feel bad for sha as hes a great dude but now has an impossible job.
This NIL stuff is bad for college sports, if they let this continue uncontrolled

Some schools will not care if they have deep pockets
It can ruin otherwise decent programs at the same time

The leagues and schools made the kids. The kids didnt make the leagues and schools. These kids being on tv is benefit for them, not a detriment. The whole premise of they “deserve” to get paid falls on the idea that the games are televised. Theres not a kid who plays college sports who would say, “take me off tv”
i mean, we kinda are seeing what these players "deserve" on the market though right. at least how much big money boosters think they deserve for the value they give to the teams they're bankrolling.

I think its as simple as the ncaa saying pay for play and collectives are illegal. Pro sports wouldnt be allowed to have collectives to circumvent salary caps
It is and i agree with you . Just telling you why it’s not called P4P

Dickinson is getting a lot
Was and will be. Dickinson is 100000% leaving over NIL. Not because he wanted greener pastures but UM did not pay over 50% what he was promised after missing the tournament. He asked multiple times but the boosters refused. So he said forget it I am leaving. Contract negotiations at its finest being done on the NCCA level.

Either UM fears losing him and pays him what he was owed plus a bonus for screwing with him or he gets his money elsewhere.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Schools arent paying them haha. Rich boosters are who are playing real life fantasy sports

Just like boosters paying for head coaches.

It's very weird how just because you donate money you deserve a say in who the HC could be. WTF do you know about hiring a HC just because you made some money?

Just like boosters paying for head coaches.

It's very weird how just because you donate money you deserve a say in who the HC could be. WTF do you know about hiring a HC just because you made some money?
Tbh I think most hardcore fans who are knowledge with football are in better position to pick a head coach than hobbs.

hobbs knows basically nothing about football and same goes for those search firms they pay 6-figures.

If you asked hobbs to even tell you the difference between a nose vs a 3 tech hed think you were talking about medical terms.

I’m not buying it

If a college player is getting $3-5 million like Hunter Dickinson ….that’s middle of the first round in the nba money ….???

And samuels is getting $500,000??? That’s two way contrast money that means you are essentially on a NBA team (like Ron is ) and he isn’t a two way level player right now

Can’t see colleges overpaying for players mkre the nba values them ….

I know this is crazy times , but I don’t think there is that much throw arojbd money for that many players

Can many power six teams have a “$1 -$2 million payroll “ for 12 basketball players …I can see that (and that’s $75000-$150000 per player…)

But, beyond the short term the outliers are not much more than that …there isn’t that much money floating Arojnd long term for mens basketball …when there is football still out of it there

Reactions: RUEd
I wonder what % of NIL - pay for play is from collectives vs individual donors like the Miami guy, or in the case of Hunter I’m guessing the UA guy…? Would getting rid of collectives actually help us…not sure.

I’m not buying it

If a college player is getting $3-5 million like Hunter Dickinson ….that’s middle of the first round in the nba money ….???

And samuels is getting $500,000??? That’s two way contrast money that means you are essentially on a NBA team (like Ron is ) and he isn’t a two way level player right now

Can’t see colleges overpaying for players mkre the nba values them ….

I know this is crazy times , but I don’t think there is that much throw arojbd money for that many players

Can many power six teams have a “$1 -$2 million payroll “ for 12 basketball players …I can see that (and that’s $75000-$150000 per player…)

But, beyond the short term the outliers are not much more than that …there isn’t that much money floating Arojnd long term for mens basketball …when there is football still out of it there
You gotta realize 3 things.

1) the schools arent paying the players, rabid boosters are

2) these rabid boosters have like $10,000,000+ in cashflow a year coming in. Throwing $2.5mm/yr to play fantasy sports gm is fun for them.

3) its gonna get even worse, not better

You gotta realize 3 things.

1) the schools arent paying the players, rabid boosters are

2) these rabid boosters have like $10,000,000+ in cashflow a year coming in. Throwing $2.5mm/yr to play fantasy sports gm is fun for them.

3) its gonna get even worse, not better

Also, you can't compare to the NBA $$.

Hunter's value to NBA teams is about $50.
But to a college program? Much more.

Anybody who can make $5m or be a 1st round pick is leaving for the NBA.

It's the sweet spot of "elite college player" and "little to no NBA interest".

I’m all for paying college football basketball and all other sports becusee it’s a full time job at a division 1 school. And it’s big business.

But there HAS to be more structure to this.
Put ranges and caps on both coaches and players.
Cap the spending on facilities and recruiting budgets as well. Just stop the rediculous arms race and make some level and understood set of rules to all this.
Why?

I think the numbers in this thread are very inflated. I’m confident in saying that Jahmir Young got somewhere in the 500-650k range from MD, and Dickinson is going to get maybe $1-1.2m (not from MD), nowhere near 3m.

That said I think it’s possible Samuels gets a few hundred thousand to go start at a high major school.

Reactions: kcg88
There have been a number of posters who warned that NIL which was seen as a fair reward to athletes whose name , image and likeness were being used but it would eventually cause a much bigger issue. The machine known as the NCAA had enough ample time to help set up a system with the colleges and athletes which would be a benefit . It is quickly getting out of hand. The scary part is how much can the programs in the 2nd levels absorb before saying we are done. In a short few years there will be the elite haves, the lesser have nots and lastly the ladies of the poor.

I think its as simple as the ncaa saying pay for play and collectives are illegal. Pro sports wouldnt be allowed to have collectives to circumvent salary caps
The NCAA is the collection of college presidents. Why would the big boy schools want to end NIL ? It’s to their benefit.

Reactions: RUsojo
According to richie, Dean Reiber got a $75K NIL offer from a mid major
Somebody is willing to pay 75k for a guy who barely got off the bench at Rutgers?

Lots of stupid money in this NIL game I guess.

Reactions: bac2therac
The leagues and schools made the kids. The kids didnt make the leagues and schools. These kids being on tv is benefit for them, not a detriment. The whole premise of they “deserve” to get paid falls on the idea that the games are televised. Theres not a kid who plays college sports who would say, “take me off tv”

Listen - I hate this whole NIL. It really is a stain on college sports IMHO. But I think that’s because I’m “old school” - I liked the illusion of amateurism.

Thing is I think you’re even more “old school” . Just out of touch with the reality of what people expect these days. There are billions of dollars in college sports - and to expect that the athletes (ie , the TALENT) would continue to be left out entirely from the $$ was just not gonna be sustainable. The ncaa needed to deal with that - come up with some fair system for the athletes to get some share - but they didn’t move.

Thus this NIL craziness resulted

The NCAA is the collection of college presidents. Why would the big boy schools want to end NIL ? It’s to their benefit.
It’s to the benefit of the Miami’s and SMUs who have boosters with unlimited resources. Eventually, it’s going to paralyze the real blue bloods whose own boosters never had to shell out money to compete. That’s when we’ll see change.

The basketball blue bloods will strike first. Duke, UK, etc. Do you think they like this system? They got the best recruits without NIL. Now they have to pay to compete and pretty much any team can come up with the funds to buy a few big stars. The right coach can coach up a team with that and a bunch of role players in basketball.

Slowly but surely the impact will catch up with football too. It’s not as easy and you won’t have nearly as much parity there. But there are enough SMU types out there that will be able to buy full rosters and compete with the best. Suddenly your top 25 list will be flooded with names like that. Having money and having a legit following are too different things. Too many elite teams that lack the latter category will really hurt the sport. The last thing Alabama wants would be to have to pay millions to keep up with SMU and company.

I don't get this fantasy land that this stuff hasn't been going on for decades in college basketball just secretly behind closed doors and not out in the open like it is today. UNLV days with Tark, recruits and families were getting hundreds of thousands to play there through parents no show jobs, getting mortgages for houses, and free merch. Fab 5 all got money to go to Michigan, Duke started doing around the same time with the Hills, Laettner, William Avery, Elton Brand, Jay Williams, etc. This isn't a foreign concept that just started with NIL More teams are on equal footing that have the money and resources to spend.
My old business used to employ many Rutgers basketball players during the summer up to the early 90's. I was close with many of these kids, and I can tell you if they were getting anything under the table, it wasn't much. They did legitimate warehouse work for us, and got paid the same as anyone else. We were told by the coaches not to even buy them pizza for lunch unless everyone else got it also. Of course we heard stories of what was going on at UNLV and a few other places, but it wasn't happening here. Anything after about 1992, I can't vouch for, but before then Rutgers was clean from what the players told me.

It’s to the benefit of the Miami’s and SMUs who have boosters with unlimited resources. Eventually, it’s going to paralyze the real blue bloods whose own boosters never had to shell out money to compete. That’s when we’ll see change.

The basketball blue bloods will strike first. Duke, UK, etc. Do you think they like this system? They got the best recruits without NIL. Now they have to pay to compete and pretty much any team can come up with the funds to buy a few big stars. The right coach can coach up a team with that and a bunch of role players in basketball.

Slowly but surely the impact will catch up with football too. It’s not as easy and you won’t have nearly as much parity there. But there are enough SMU types out there that will be able to buy full rosters and compete with the best. Suddenly your top 25 list will be flooded with names like that. Having money and having a legit following are too different things. Too many elite teams that lack the latter category will really hurt the sport. The last thing Alabama wants would be to have to pay millions to keep up with SMU and company.
The “Blue Bloods” have been paying for decades. Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Louisville, UNC, UCLA, UCONN, insert other team name here.

I would love true Amateur sports but they have not existed in the last 50 years.

The only way you you get this under control is go to true Power 5 who are allotted revenue from the TV and NCAA to each school. Each school is allowed to allocate a % for P4P. Eliminate outside money and actually enforce the rules not turn blind eye.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I don't get this fantasy land that this stuff hasn't been going on for decades in college basketball just secretly behind closed doors and not out in the open like it is today. UNLV days with Tark, recruits and families were getting hundreds of thousands to play there through parents no show jobs, getting mortgages for houses, and free merch. Fab 5 all got money to go to Michigan, Duke started doing around the same time with the Hills, Laettner, William Avery, Elton Brand, Jay Williams, etc. This isn't a foreign concept that just started with NIL More teams are on equal footing that have the money and resources to spend.
It was never even remotely close to this level, not remotely. Naz reid a 5* got $150K to LSU. How do I know? I know the guy who brokered the deal. Same guy who brokered jq’s deal to u of a

The “Blue Bloods” have been paying for decades. Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Louisville, UNC, UCLA, UCONN, insert other team name here.

I would love true Amateur sports but they have not existed in the last 50 years.

The only way you you get this under control is go to true Power 5 who are allotted revenue from the TV and NCAA to each school. Each school is allowed to allocate a % for P4P. Eliminate outside money and actually enforce the rules not turn blind eye.

Maybe under the table for a few top players but nowhere close to this extent. It was also point blank illegal and participating posed a major risk of getting caught and made an example. Go too big and you got caught - especially the SMU types without national appeal.

If you’re an established team but one player short I could absolutely see a booster stepping up to overpay for the final missing piece. It’s the Miami 2022 model

Maybe under the table for a few top players but nowhere close to this extent. It was also point blank illegal and participating posed a major risk of getting caught and made an example. Go too big and you got caught - especially the SMU types without national appeal.
Yes all under the table and yes as much and in some cases more then they are today: The only reason NIL came to the forefront was because of the FBI and government investigation into college athletics .

The NCAA, schools, and coaches knew what that investigation would reveal so to protect themselves and keep everyone’s childhood utopian beilef alive they instituted NIL.

Coach K, Wooden, Calpari, Boeheim, Dean Smith, Tark, Pitino, etc All guilty. Listen to Barkley, Shaq, Jordan. Etc. talk about college.

Why and How do you think AAU become the standard of hoops prior to college? It’s not high school basketball it’s AAU. You can actually pay kids and families on the AAU circuit. University and college coaches put emphasis on this because they could funnel money to kids in return for college commitments .

Jay Williams has admitted on the record they gave Kevin Love $250k. That’s 20 years ago to a very good not great college player.

Lastly even our beloved RU has been paying for years. Just not to the extent we are willing to pay today now that it’s legal.

Reactions: RUsojo
I think the kids deserve it. I just think there needs to be some kind of revenue sharing to bring competitiveness to the conferences like all pro sports have. Even baseball has rules to prevent the big cities from complete dominance over the small markets. And as weak as those measures are in the MLB - I say weak because the big markets mostly do dominate - those weak measures are way more than what the NCAA has. I'm talking about the draft and luxury tax. Even better would be the NFL with complete salary caps and parity.

So I do not begrudge these kids getting paid at all. Better the player getting 500k than the university or ESPN or whoever. They deserve it. The issue is that even the best kids need other teams to play against. So that money needs to be spread around so there is balance and they all get paid.
Who's money exactly will you be "spreading around"?
Asking for a friend

Reactions: dconifer
It was never even remotely close to this level, not remotely. Naz reid a 5* got $150K to LSU. How do I know? I know the guy who brokered the deal. Same guy who brokered jq’s deal to u of a
I'm not well connected like that but there were plenty of stories even back in the early days of the internet about how Universities paid for recruits and their families from down payments on mortgages for houses to better neighborhoods, to under the table no show jobs through boosters or alumni businesses, to merch like cars and such. Nothing close to what it is today, but NBA players weren't making the money they were back then either. Patrick Ewing's first contract when he was drafted was 10 years $32 million, now there are dozens who make $32 million or more a year, with time the price will always go up and match the NBA increases on a smaller scale.

Last edited:
The basketball blue bloods will strike first. Duke, UK, etc. Do you think they like this system? They got the best recruits without NIL. Now they have to pay to compete and pretty much any team can come up with the funds to buy a few big stars.
Very interesting. That did not occur to me...

I'm not well connected like that but there were plenty of stories even back in the early days of the internet about how Universities paid for recruits and their families from down payments on mortgages for houses to better neighborhoods, to under the table no show jobs through boosters or alumni businesses, to merch like cars and such. Nothing close to what it is today, but NBA players weren't making the money they were back then either. Patrick Ewing's first contract when he was drafted was 10 years $32 million, now there are dozens who make $32 million or more a year, with time the price will always go up and match the NBA increases on a smaller scale.
Were just talking a few years ago when naz reid went to lsu. “NIL” has made it out of control

Reactions: biazza38
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT