ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Samuel poached from SHU for $500K NIL deal

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

I hate that its called NIL to begin with because their name image and likeness holds zero value. It should be called P4P.

Heard Carino speculate on his pod today that Samuel could be leaving for a $500K NIL deal. Hes not speculating and he may have the same source I do on this one. He got offered $500K and is gonna take it as seton hall cant come close to matching.

As many of you know, my uncle was an assistant to the AD at SHU in the 90’s which is why I grew up a SHU fan and while I dont have RU bball sources, I still do at the hall. Which is how I broke the news here as early as December 2021 that willard had not only already interviewed with maryland (did it week of RU @ SHU game too) but that he was taking the job.

The hall is fvckeddddd. They are broke as a joke and are about to be lumped in with depaul as the two cellar dwellers of the big east until the pay for play lunacy is sorted out if it ever is. Feel bad for sha as hes a great dude but now has an impossible job.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thats an unfathomable number for Tyrese lol.

I would love to know what ace is costing and what Dylan will cost.

Dont feel for shu however. Sha is going to have a tough time there with these current circumstances in the recruiting world.

Thats an unfathomable number for Tyrese lol.

I would love to know what ace is costing and what Dylan will cost.

Dont feel for shu however. Sha is going to have a tough time there with these current circumstances in the recruiting world.
Apparently its rumored (i have no source on this) that dickinson is getting between $3-$5 million for next season and that Sanogo has offers even higher

There are more than enough quality basketball players from coast to coast and Samuel is not worth anything close to that amount. Even if he gets it, great for him, it's more money he's likely to see anytime soon.

There's a lot of 6'8 to 6'10 basketball players who want to play at a high level conference and school.

This is not turning into a NIL item, becauae it always has been for decades now......, this is now truly a scouting and research based sport. The more a staff can scout and develop a relationship with your core roster (players 4 through 9), that are not going to get 500K each, the more balanced your roster will be.

Not every player in the portal is going to get 6 figures, eventually the market will flatten out and there will be more spots than quality players who command a big number.

I hate that its called NIL to begin with because their name image and likeness holds zero value. It should be called P4P.

Heard Carino speculate on his pod today that Samuel could be leaving for a $500K NIL deal. Hes not speculating and he may have the same source I do on this one. He got offered $500K and is gonna take it as seton hall cant come close to matching.

As many of you know, my uncle was an assistant to the AD at SHU in the 90’s which is why I grew up a SHU fan and while I dont have RU bball sources, I still do at the hall. Which is how I broke the news here as early as December 2021 that willard had not only already interviewed with maryland (did it week of RU @ SHU game too) but that he was taking the job.

The hall is fvckeddddd. They are broke as a joke and are about to be lumped in with depaul as the two cellar dwellers of the big east until the pay for play lunacy is sorted out if it ever is. Feel bad for sha as hes a great dude but now has an impossible job.

I think Butler is also in rough shape going forward in the Big East from what I've seen.

Apparently its rumored (i have no source on this) that dickinson is getting between $3-$5 million for next season and that Sanogo has offers even higher
Gonna see a lot of guys looking like theyre 38 years old ala Perry Ellis III milking out their college careers. Why not? They make more than a second rounder or UDFA grinding in the G-League.

Why would it be called p4p ? It’s to make money on their name and likeness. You can’t “pay” someone to play , although it operates that way.

Reactions: tomatocan
If Dickinson is going to get 3mm then we are not far from established, all American QB’s getting 20mm deals.

In order to compete for championships you will need a few dozen nine-figure guys or a highly motivated billionaire or two.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think the kids deserve it. I just think there needs to be some kind of revenue sharing to bring competitiveness to the conferences like all pro sports have. Even baseball has rules to prevent the big cities from complete dominance over the small markets. And as weak as those measures are in the MLB - I say weak because the big markets mostly do dominate - those weak measures are way more than what the NCAA has. I'm talking about the draft and luxury tax. Even better would be the NFL with complete salary caps and parity.

So I do not begrudge these kids getting paid at all. Better the player getting 500k than the university or ESPN or whoever. They deserve it. The issue is that even the best kids need other teams to play against. So that money needs to be spread around so there is balance and they all get paid.

I think the kids deserve it. I just think there needs to be some kind of revenue sharing to bring competitiveness to the conferences like all pro sports have. Even baseball has rules to prevent the big cities from complete dominance over the small markets. And as weak as those measures are in the MLB - I say weak because the big markets mostly do dominate - those weak measures are way more than what the NCAA has. I'm talking about the draft and luxury tax. Even better would be the NFL with complete salary caps and parity.

So I do not begrudge these kids getting paid at all. Better the player getting 500k than the university or ESPN or whoever. They deserve it. The issue is that even the best kids need other teams to play against. So that money needs to be spread around so there is balance and they all get paid.
I think its as simple as the ncaa saying pay for play and collectives are illegal. Pro sports wouldnt be allowed to have collectives to circumvent salary caps

Their making money on their play, not on their name, image or likeness. Lets not complicate it
Wow, they’re making money based off what people want to pay them? Isn’t that what you guys advocate for in all other situations?

I think its as simple as the ncaa saying pay for play and collectives are illegal. Pro sports wouldnt be allowed to have collectives to circumvent salary caps
Salary caps are collectively bargained which is what will eventually need to happen here but the schools are fighting tooth and nail to not let that happen.

When there's no collective bargaining there is only NCAA rules and those keep getting smacked down in court as illegal. Which is what would happen if the NCAA said pay for play and school collectives are against the rules.

Is there a team out there who can find a way to make a big financial deal for Cliff or another RU MBB player?

Understood that Cliff’s immigration status is a roadblock.

Reactions: RUBlackout
The kids deserve some fair $$ (considering the amount of money involved in these sports) and if the NCAA hadn’t put their heads in the sand and dealt with this perhaps this Wild West situation wouldn’t exist

Reactions: ChasRC69 and kcg88
P4P because they are PAID to play basketball. If they don't play, no one wants their "likeness".
To further your point (if I am not mistaken), I seriously doubt that anybody even wants or cares about their "likeness" in 99% of the situations, honestly. I agree with Kyk completely on this...

Reactions: hankee18 and toby83
These early guys are really benefitting, but they’re also screwing the guys that will come after them.

Big Ten employees with $70k salaries and medical benefits incoming!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I’m all for paying college football basketball and all other sports becusee it’s a full time job at a division 1 school. And it’s big business.

But there HAS to be more structure to this.
Put ranges and caps on both coaches and players.
Cap the spending on facilities and recruiting budgets as well. Just stop the rediculous arms race and make some level and understood set of rules to all this.

Reactions: NBHPRU
There are more than enough quality basketball players from coast to coast and Samuel is not worth anything close to that amount. Even if he gets it, great for him, it's more money he's likely to see anytime soon.
Value is never determined in a vacuum. Any time you try to you must always also ask: Of value to whom? Dickinson might not be worth $1 million to the New York Knicks whereas he would be to the Maryland Terrapins. If someone is willing pay Samuel $500K, then he’s worth $500K.

Reactions: newell138

Funny - did you also feel this way when the Big Ten signed a $1b/year media revenue contract?

Big East distributes approx $3.7m/team
Big Ten set to be close to $100m/team

"Even the best conferences need teams to play against."
I'd rather not take money from Rutgers (or their athletes) to fund SHU and Temple.

That's how actual pro leagues operate. They distribute media revenue equally - not athlete endorsement deals.
Still waiting for the first "pool conference reveneues" thread.

In one sense, sure. But in another sense market values can be "wrong". These numbers sound like bubble numbers. If lots of people throw in lots of money with little return, these market values are going to drop.
Yes, markets can absolutely be inefficient. In which case it works itself out over time, and always does to the degree force is not present. But value is fluid and extremely personal. We are not disagreeing.

Reactions: fluoxetine
I’m all for paying college football basketball and all other sports becusee it’s a full time job at a division 1 school. And it’s big business.

But there HAS to be more structure to this.
Put ranges and caps on both coaches and players.
Cap the spending on facilities and recruiting budgets as well. Just stop the rediculous arms race and make some level and understood set of rules to all this.

I would say this makes sense....but....we're at the top of the food chain.

Any limits or caps means pulling us down.
There are over 130 football programs and over 330 basketball programs. How many have more money than us? Not many.

I have a hard time shedding a tear for Temple and their poor AAC revenue streams.

I don't get this fantasy land that this stuff hasn't been going on for decades in college basketball just secretly behind closed doors and not out in the open like it is today. UNLV days with Tark, recruits and families were getting hundreds of thousands to play there through parents no show jobs, getting mortgages for houses, and free merch. Fab 5 all got money to go to Michigan, Duke started doing around the same time with the Hills, Laettner, William Avery, Elton Brand, Jay Williams, etc. This isn't a foreign concept that just started with NIL More teams are on equal footing that have the money and resources to spend.

Reactions: tm_nj and RU84
There has to be a middle ground from where we were at to where we are now. The players should be able to make money from running a basketball camp, doing a commercial/meet and a local company, getting a portion of jersey and if their name is on it, etc. But giving a kid $3 million to switch schools is pay for play (at least in my opinion).

Funny - did you also feel this way when the Big Ten signed a $1b/year media revenue contract?

Big East distributes approx $3.7m/team
Big Ten set to be close to $100m/team

"Even the best conferences need teams to play against."
I'd rather not take money from Rutgers (or their athletes) to fund SHU and Temple.

That's how actual pro leagues operate. They distribute media revenue equally - not athlete endorsement deals.
Still waiting for the first "pool conference reveneues" thread.
I think the power 5 schools and top players should be in some kind of revenue sharing, yes. The Big 10 distribution is already a playing field leveler among the conference schools. We just need more leveling. Obviously if you are a have you want levelling less than if you are a have not. But I think a level playing field (off the field) is a good thing in sports. I'm not making a specific proposal. I haven't thought about it. But I'm sure there are practical ideas out there. I'm also equally sure that there are many political obstacles, mostly coming from the winners of the current system, preventing those good ideas.

The kids deserve some fair $$ (considering the amount of money involved in these sports) and if the NCAA hadn’t put their heads in the sand and dealt with this perhaps this Wild West situation wouldn’t exist
The leagues and schools made the kids. The kids didnt make the leagues and schools. These kids being on tv is benefit for them, not a detriment. The whole premise of they “deserve” to get paid falls on the idea that the games are televised. Theres not a kid who plays college sports who would say, “take me off tv”

The leagues and schools made the kids. The kids didnt make the leagues and schools. These kids being on tv is benefit for them, not a detriment. The whole premise of they “deserve” to get paid falls on the idea that the games are televised. Theres not a kid who plays college sports who would say, “take me off tv”
No one is forcing the schools to pay athletes. They’re free to not engage in pay for play. If they pay them it’s because they value them more than the money they’re paying them. The kids deserve the money schools are paying them, but I’m with you on it not being for NIL. That’s just a lie.

Contracts will fix this half-assed shit we’re seeing. Contracts will allow a school to lock up a 2 star for 4 years after they explode beyond expectation as the 2 star kid will have agreed to the terms in advance and assume the risk that he could become worth more to others later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT