ADVERTISEMENT

Kareem Walker tweet

for-the-great.jpg

So all the out of state kids at Rutgers are disrespecting their home states? Did they all make mistakes by going to Rutgers? I guess I never understood this mentality. If the kid feels that the best place for him to go to school is out of state then so be it.
You're missing the point of this thread.

He is putting on for Ohio. Any talk to the contrary is devoid of any intelligent thought. Already planning on coming back? Sounds like he misses Jersey and hasn't even left yet.

You ain't Jersey when you are rocking Ohio on your uniform every game. Just call it what it is, Kareem.

He will be fine. Rutgers will be fine. Let's all move on.

question - A lot NJ's best HS players come out of prep schools and don't play for their hometowns during HS. They've already cut the cord once. How much is that a factor in college selection for NJ kids vs other states kids?

where was the resentment? It was a response to two fans arguing.
I didn't say he had resentment in this tweet. It's happened with several kids already since committing else where. Last year and this year.

For the love of God please make it stop...

The idea that adults are even considering - let alone trying to analyze - every puerile utterance of a 17 year-old kid is deeply disturbing.

He's not coming to Rutgers.

He's probably not even going to wind up at OSU.

Just. Let. It. Go.

I understand not being happy when a recruit you want goes elsewhere. But you (and this isn't restricted to Rutgers fans) take these decisions way way too personally. Not going to Rutgers to play football doesn't mean that A guy doesn't love his state, doesn't want an education, doesn't have an understanding of depth charts, mistakenly thinks he's a future First round draft pick, is being misled by a coach, or is "all about me".

I understand not being happy when a recruit you want goes elsewhere. But you (and this isn't restricted to Rutgers fans) take these decisions way way too personally. Not going to Rutgers to play football doesn't mean that A guy doesn't love his state, doesn't want an education, doesn't have an understanding of depth charts, mistakenly thinks he's a future First round draft pick, is being misled by a coach, or is "all about me".
Sure - but it does mean that he is no longer representing his state. The fact that he feels the need to strike back against that means he knows it too.

No one said it's a mistake to leave. You don't decline an invitation to play for your home state university, join a conference rival and then proclaim "I'm puttin on for Jersey!!!". He's going to be puttin on for Ohio. It's going to say Ohio on his uniform. When he does well, it will cause Ohioans to celebrate. If his team does well, there will be a parade in Ohio. Highlights of his games will be shown on local Ohio TV. Radio broadcasts of his games will be on local Ohio radio. Nothing about KW's plans to attend OSU is "putting on for Jersey." He's specifically trying to distance himself from Jersey. And, it is certainly not a mistake for him to do so. He has his good reasons.

Trey Sneed, from Florida, might be the better player. He is not putting on for Florida. He's leaving Florida. He's putting on for Rutgers. And we are putting on for him.
You folks are priceless!! He absolutely is representing the young talent that exists in NJ regardless of where he chooses to play. There are many NJ players who haven't even been sniffed by Rutgers but yet you go out of state every year and pick up recruits. WHY?? There are plenty of players right here in the great state of NJ waiting for RU offers, yet RU goes into Florida and PA to pick up talent. Please stop the bull***t. Y'all are just mad because the best players in the state don't want to go to RU. Hasn't crap to do with state pride, it has to do with RU pride.

You folks are priceless!! He absolutely is representing the young talent that exists in NJ regardless of where he chooses to play. There are many NJ players who haven't even been sniffed by Rutgers but yet you go out of state every year and pick up recruits. WHY?? There are plenty of players right here in the great state of NJ waiting for RU offers, yet RU goes into Florida and PA to pick up talent. Please stop the bull***t. Y'all are just mad because the best players in the state don't want to go to RU. Hasn't crap to do with state pride, it has to do with RU pride.
Uh huh and? Is any person here claiming that those kids represent Florida or PA once they put on our Jersey? If he wants to represent New Jersey at the college level, he has a hoice to. He chose that other things were more important. More power to him. Would that we all had choices like that. But in doign so, he gave up his right to claim in any legitimate way that he is representing NJ any more.

Exactly right. No one begrudges him for going to put on for Ohio. They have a top notch program.

Just save the stupid reppin Jersey nonsense. It is idiotic and meaningless because it isn't true. He is reppin Ohio or wherever he winds up. And that goes for all kids.

Uh huh and? Is any person here claiming that those kids represent Florida or PA once they put on our Jersey? If he wants to represent New Jersey at the college level, he has a hoice to. He chose that other things were more important. More power to him. Would that we all had choices like that. But in doign so, he gave up his right to claim in any legitimate way that he is representing NJ any more.
Only in the delusional minds of this board. Most NJ residents are proud that these kids are talented and have the opportunity to play at any school of their choosing. Stop being so wrapped up in RU football that you can't even be happy for kids in this state doing what they love where they want. Going to RU or being a fan of RU was YOUR choice--so allow these kids to make THEIR choices without ranting about how disloyal they are to a state that they grew up in. What exactly has the state of NJ done for them that they need to put it on its shoulders? He attends a parochial school where either tuition or a scholarship is being paid, not by the good ole state of NJ. My tax dollars go towards my kids receiving an education here, I pay for my house that I bought here and I pay for my cars that I bought here. I OWE NJ nothing!! Get your head right.

Reactions: Phi_1055
Said perfectly Lyndj. You are still reppin your hood, your city and state wherever you go. Just because they didnt choose Rutgers doesnt mean they cant rep where their from lol. So Sanu wearing a Rutgers T shirt while playing for his NFL team, man the Bengals fans should be pissed.

Reactions: VirtualKnight
Exactly right. No one begrudges him for going to put on for Ohio. They have a top notch program.

Just save the stupid reppin Jersey nonsense. It is idiotic and meaningless because it isn't true. He is reppin Ohio or wherever he winds up. And that goes for all kids.
Well perhaps the 17-18 year old KID wouldn't have to be on the defensive if a certain fanbase didn't trash him for his decision. Grown folks at that!! Think about what you are saying...he wouldn't need to say it if people weren't tweeting him insulting him about his decision. I cannot believe how you grown-ass people talk about these kids.

He represents NJ to those who know he's from NJ. But if he enjoys any measure of football success at OSU, the general population will identify him with the state of OH, not NJ.

Honest question: When you think of Desmond Howard or Charles Woodson, what state immediately comes to mind? Betcha it wasn't Ohio...

Well perhaps the 17-18 year old KID wouldn't have to be on the defensive if a certain fanbase didn't trash him for his decision. Grown folks at that!! Think about what you are saying...he wouldn't need to say it if people weren't tweeting him insulting him about his decision. I cannot believe how you grown-ass people talk about these kids.
And before it is said, I'm a PSU fan and our fanbase has that same issue..let these kids be.

He represents NJ to those who know he's from NJ. But if he enjoys any measure of football success at OSU, the general population will identify him with the state of OH, not NJ.

Honest question: When you think of Desmond Howard or Charles Woodson, what state immediately comes to mind? Betcha it wasn't Ohio...
That's incorrect, if you look at these kids bios on the rosters, it says where they are from. When commentators are discussing them, they talk about where they're from. Please stop making stuff up. My kid is an athlete at PSU and every time his face is on the TV screen, it says where he is from.

Kareem Walker and any other NJ player, whether they attend RU or not, will rep their state well by being the best they could be academically, athletically, and socially. Period. I'm done.

lyndj: You're entitled to your opinion, but there's no way you can convince me that if you go around a sports bar, 9 people out of 10 wouldn't be surprised to know that Michigan's two modern-era Heisman winners were taken from the backyard of their hated rival.

That's incorrect, if you look at these kids bios on the rosters, it says where they are from. When commentators are discussing them, they talk about where they're from. Please stop making stuff up. My kid is an athlete at PSU and every time his face is on the TV screen, it says where he is from.

For the love of god stop posting on these boards, stop commenting on every single nj.com article, and go the fug away. It is not your job to defend penn state on rutgers related websites, not sure how you deluded yourself into thinking it was.

Nobody associates them with their home state though, that's the point. You think people have the time to remember the bios of every player of every game they watch when it flashes up on the screen or when an announcer gives a little tidbit on a player? I've watched Charles Woodson in a million college/pro games and always associate him with Michigan. Another example, do you honestly think most people associate the McCourty Brothers, Brian Leonard or Ray Rice with New York?

lyndj: You're entitled to your opinion, but there's no way you can convince me that if you go around a sports bar, 9 people out of 10 wouldn't be surprised to know that Michigan's two modern-era Heisman winners were taken from the backyard of their hated rival.
But why would it surprise anyone? Michigan and Ohio State are rivals but they've been plucking kids from each others backyards for ages. National teams recruit nationally. Sure they will try to get the best in their home state because that's the easiest place to recruit but they will get them from wherever they are. RU has been doing that for years as well. When you pluck kids from FL, PA, NY, you're plucking them from someone else's backyard, no? The animosity is stemming from the rankings of these NJ players, not the fact that they are NJ players because you guys could care less where the 100th ranked NJ player goes to school. Let's be honest.

You're missing the point of this thread.

Agree, he is missing the point. We are not saying players shouldn't to go out of state. They tell everyone in interview after interview that Rutgers is up and coming, love they were competitive in the BIG, has great academics with consistent top 10 APR, Flood and staff are great coaches and they feel very comfortable being at RU and love the idea of helping to build a great program in their home state.

Then, when they don't commit to Rutgers, they feel the need to be defensive about to the point of putting RU down. Not necessary. They can go where they please, and should, best of luck to any NJ player who chooses to go out of state. But you can't have it both ways. You are from NJ, and should be proud of that, but you can't really say you are repping NJ while at another school, because you are not.

Reactions: OriginalKnight
Kareem Walker and any other NJ player, whether they attend RU or not, will rep their state well by being the best they could be academically, athletically, and socially. Period. I'm done.
That's fine but nobody will associate them with doing so, they will be "repping" internally. Trying to propose that you can rep your home state when you attend a state school in another state that is in the same division as your home state's school is a ridiculous argument anyway you slice it.

lyndj: No, Kareem can go wherever he wants -- it's his right and we should respect his decision. However, he is claiming he is still representing NJ even by going to OSU. My position is that far more people will associate him with OSU than NJ. So yes, he's representing NJ to folks who know he's from here. But to the other 99% of the general population, he's actually representing OSU and by extension Ohio.

No one goes around thinking things like "By golly, that Desmond Howard really represented Ohio!"

C'mon man...

Nobody associates them with their home state though, that's the point. You think people have the time to remember the bios of every player of every game they watch when it flashes up on the screen or when an announcer gives a little tidbit on a player? I've watched Charles Woodson in a million college/pro games and always associate him with Michigan. Another example, do you honestly think most people associate the McCourty Brothers, Brian Leonard or Ray Rice with New York?
No, they don't have time to remember bios, but to say it's not mentioned isn't true. You're always going to associate certain athletes with the brand names schools they attended because of those particular schools. Do you think Hawaii is not proud of Mariota because he went to Oregon?? Does everyone know Mariota is from Hawaii? Uh, yes.

You know what, NJ has no pride in NJ. Sad but true even though this is a stupid way to go through life. All the states have positives and negatives. As a RU Grad I wear, with a badge of honor, that RU is a GLOBAL university and very diverse. I would be proud, beyond belief, if our football roster represented as many of the 50 states as possible, including Canada and other parts of the planet.

This whole college sports thing is new to you, huh? Tell you what, watch what happens the next time Ohio's best player declares for Michigan. I am sure they will send him away with love and car packages.

He doesn't need to respond to anything. The kid is stud high nationally known high school player. If his skin is so thin that he needs to respond to every statement some anonymous person makes, he is going to have a tough go of it.

I am not talking about the kid at all. I don't care where he goes. It effects my life in no way at all. I am just calling out the stupidity of saying you rep something when you don't. It's that simple.

He made a decision to go to Ohio. Great. Go. End of story.

What plays a role is that so many of these athletes wouldn't get into RU or a lot of these other schools without being good at football.. so when they raise a brow, its pretty annoying.
RU also really is one of the good programs who tries to do things right, so when these kids go to a factory its disappointing.

8081: That's where we disagree. Kids have 1000s of reasons to choose where to spend the next 4 years of their lives. Location is just one of them. If they leave the state to play football at a football factory, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't have state pride. But it does mean they can no longer claim to be representing NJ. At least not to the public at large.

No, they don't have time to remember bios, but to say it's not mentioned isn't true. You're always going to associate certain athletes with the brand names schools they attended because of those particular schools. Do you think Hawaii is not proud of Mariota because he went to Oregon?? Does everyone know Mariota is from Hawaii? Uh, yes.

Horrible example. Hawaii doesn't have a D1 power 5 football program. If they did, in the Pac 12, Hawaiians wouldn't be so quick to back him. They are proud people and love their state.

That's fine but nobody will associate them with doing so, they will be "repping" internally. Trying to propose that you can rep your home state when you attend a state school in another state that is in the same division as your home state's school is a ridiculous argument anyway you slice it.

So what you're saying is that if he attended a private university, that would be fine as long as it's not a state school ?? So if he went to Northwestern, it would be cool because it's not a state university?? Lol. okay.

Great bullet proof argument by adding "period" and "I'm done." Great work

On another note, there's a conflict of interest if KW is claiming he represents NJ. This is what this entire debate is about. I'm sure most of us even engaging in this topic even care if he flips to Rutgers or not, but he made a decision to move on. He plays for the other team, an opponent that plays annually against a school that actually does represent NJ and NJ's pride. There is no Trojan horse gifted by NJ to destroy tOSU from the insides. If Rutgers represents its state, then he plays for the opponent that represents Ohio.

Reactions: redking
HS players that commit to their State Universities are representing their State.
Kids that go to Private Universities are representing that School.
Those who commit to the State University of another State, are representing that state, not the one they played HS FB in.
Leaving your home state to bring glory to a school outside of it , is not representing the state you're from.
If you don't go to State U or U of State :You are trying to bring glory to a Private College or one representing another state and not your home state .
Which means you cannot claim you're representing your home state, because you're not representing a school designated as a State University
in the State you played HS Football in.
Gone out of state to Prep school, you're representing that school's FB program, if you don't play your college ball at the State U.

You are missing miketd1's point. The casual fan is not going to look up every athlete they see. Commentators don't give every athlete the same air time. It's 2015, do they still show the Ohio hometowns of Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson when they're on TV??

Any athlete can go anywhere they want. But wanting to "rep" one state by playing for another state usually doesn't work.

To your last post, in 10 years, people will think Mariota is from Oregon. Hawaii may be proud of Mariota now, but Hawaii didn't offer. https://rivals.yahoo.com/oregon/football/recruiting/player-Marcus-Mariota-109435

Reactions: miketd1
8081: That's where we disagree. Kids have 1000s of reasons to choose where to spend the next 4 years of their lives. Location is just one of them. If they leave the state to play football at a football factory, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't have state pride. But it does mean they can no longer claim to be representing NJ. At least not to the public at large.
What I am saying is that Rutgers prides itself in its diversity and Global Roots. It should follow that mantra to athletics too. Provide the recruiting budget and get the "Rutgers Men and Women" from anywhere. Brian Leonard is as much as a Rutgers Man as anyone who ever put on the Rutgers Uniform, including those who were born in NJ.

Reactions: miketd1
He can say whatever he wants. If he feels he's repping his state, so be it. As a resident of this state, who gave any of you the right to tell him he can or can't represent where he comes from. That's your personal opinion.

What about the under rated jersey players who are dying for a Rutgers offer? They end up somewhere else , work there butts off and make it to the NFL. Is it okay for them to rep jersey? After Rutgers showed no love

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT