ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Ellison

Follow up from Minnesota 247 quoting Ellison. Visiting SJU Tuesday and then will go from there:

EtO2Liv3_normal.jpeg
Kyle Goblirsch @Gobie247 ·9 minutes ago
Regarding decision timeline Ellison says, "Not announcing tonight. Going on unofficial to St. John's Tuesday then going from there."

247 Sports reports that Malik unofficially visited RU on Feb 8, 2015. RU offered him also on Feb 8. Malik made another unofficial visit to RU on Sunday March 29, 2015 and that Eddie visited him yesterday the same day that Mullin visited him.

I think he would be a great get and I would absolutely love him to be here. Him and Sanders would be an awesome duo.

but.....

We just got another SG in Nigel Johnson on this team. We have a crapton of twos now. If we only have one spot left I would really really want a big forward.

Reactions: higgins3
Yeah I am hearing a lot of SJU buzz with Ellison. I think they want to add 2 more guards even with Jordan coming back. A combination of Lovett or Mussini with Ellison.

As for the larger question of SJU roster next year I think at this point it is pretty good, not great but better than what people thought after all the graduates. The big fish literally and figuratively is Cheick Diallo. SJU visitied him for the second time today. If they land him that is HUGE. Front line of him, Obekpa, Sima, Darien Williams (JUCO forward) is really good.

But they are really going hard for 16 and 17 kids (Heron, Alkins, TJ Gibbs etc).

From what I am hearing he's SJU to lose right now.

I would assume we have a very little shot at landing Pervis Ellison's son, a 3 star SG (4 star on 247) with an impressive offer list. However he is deciding this month and we did make his final cut of 6 teams.

But what if daddy is hired as an assoc or asst coach?

Seels, seems like Ej is prepping for a fast paced offense/defense. With Nigel being 6 1 and sanders 6 2, maybe hell look to run some fast breaks and be able to give each of them rest. Guard play is superior right now but you still need rebounders. I like diallo,Shaq for that.

Constitution 2015 SF Ahmad Gilbert (@GilbertAhmad), a former George Mason commit, is headed to Minnesota. @EvanDaniels had it first.

This should affect Ellison decision. A St. John's lean, but maybe RU?

We seem at best to be a fall back here. At one point supposedly down to Minn and RU. Yet he then visits South Carolina and now hot on SJU? Certainly pays not to get too invested in this stuff.

We are still very much involved here...

Good to hear, BK. So now that Minn got their guard I definitely like our chances a bit better to land Ellison even though we're competing with the Johnnies now. Would cap off Jordan's first solid class.

Looks like coach is important to him. He is considering schools with coaches with NBA ties....Mullin, Jordan....maybe Purvis sees some advantage there or maybe it's wishful thinking on my part...lol

Looks like coach is important to him. He is considering schools with coaches with NBA ties....Mullin, Jordan....maybe Purvis sees some advantage there or maybe it's wishful thinking on my part...lol
If only Sanders were a lock to qualify and we had the shovels digging the new practice facility we could probably reel him in. Do we like Freeman more?

If only Sanders were a lock to qualify and we had the shovels digging the new practice facility we could probably reel him in. Do we like Freeman more?

Freeman fills more of an immediate need, but is only for two years, things seem to have cooled with him

SJU just released Samir Doughty from his NLI opening another scholarship especially for a 2 guard. I think that is another reason they are pushing for Ellison:

Zach Braziller @NYPost_Brazille 5 hours ago
Malk Ellison on new #sjubb staff: "They got their minds on the right things. They’re focusing on player development.”

56883392bb5ad7269f5257b431289902_normal.jpeg
Zach Braziller @NYPost_Brazille 5 hours ago
Spoke to Malik Ellison. Said in no hurry to make college choice and playing time is important to him. #sjubb

From latest Rivals story on Minnesota site. Here is the portion about RU:

Rutgers head coach Eddie Jordan visited Ellison on Monday as well. It has been rumored that Malik's dad, former first overall pick "Nervous" Pervis Ellison, prefers that his son choose the Red Knights.

"When (Eddie Jordan) visited, we talked about how I would work in his system. I could run the show and stuff like that," he said. "I wouldn't say that my parents are looking for me to stay close to home. My dad likes Rutgers because of the opportunity that's there. He likes (Eddie) Jordan and their system and how he's been involved in the NBA.

https://minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1760500

That sounds promising.
As for Sanders, didn't we recently hear that he received the necessary score on his test (SAT?) to be a qualifier? Hopefully, someone in the know can confirm this?

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
That sounds promising.
As for Sanders, didn't we recently hear that he received the necessary score on his test (SAT?) to be a qualifier? Hopefully, someone in the know can confirm this?

If true...great news for you all!

Yes, that was reported recently. I guess we just now need too make sure all of his core courses qualify.

Anyone's guess where he goes and RU's chances still look as good as the rest of the school's that are after Malik

Anyone's guess where he goes and RU's chances still look as good as the rest of the school's that are after Malik
Do we get him? Prolly not.. But as an old nickname guy is Never Nervous Pervis not one of the 5 best of all time?

Is he still in play since we got Freeman? I know they're different positions...more asking about open slots...

Is he still in play since we got Freeman? I know they're different positions...more asking about open slots...

What spot could possibly open? I don't see anyone leaving because everyone is on the young side and things are looking up with a full roster. I think the last spot was Ellison or Freeman....Freeman moved first

I don't see how a spot could open either as we have Diallo and Ryan Johnson who sat out plus we added Sanders, K. Johnson, Goode, Laurent, Nigel Johnson and Freeman this year making 8 new players for next year. We have Daniels, Williams, Foreman, Lewis and Doorson back from last year. The only thing I could possibly see is if Lewis decided to go else where and I would think if he even thought of that it would have been announced already. Personally I think Freeman realized there was only one spot left and he probably knew that Ellison had said he was going to announce soon and he decided he wanted to come to RU and play in the BIG.

Lewis is needed. He has a good mid range shot and should get more open looks this year with the players that can spread the floor. This roster is set.

Lewis is needed. He has a good mid range shot and should get more open looks this year with the players that can spread the floor. This roster is set.
sorry for the confusing post guys...I was implying the same thing...seems there are no more open slots.

I am fine with that. was just wondering if some of the bball insiders were expecting more roster churn (hopefully not), otherwise, I would say we're out of it for Ellison.

right?

yes, interesting - but this would require someone to have a source of funds to make such a move - or be in a situation where they qualify for very very substantial amounts of financial aid & the school have a clear & legitimate means of processing their financial aid package without triggering controversy.
- if it could be done - it might make the expected quality of team all that more attractive to Ellison.... the waiting game will continue ...

Interesting. Isn't Greg Lewis a 5th year player? Not saying he should give up his scholarship but it would be huge for Eddie to also nab Ellison. We'd be looking at a top 35 class.
I think you are vastly underrating his importance to this team. He made a huge leap this year and losing him would be a serious blow. I'm looking forward to Lewis having a great final year. He's physical and stayed out of foul trouble for the most part which is amazing considering how often his teammates left him to clean up their defensive messes. We need him desperately.

Reactions: RUMountie
I guess a 5th year player could be "released" from his scholarship and finance the school year using grants and aid.

I think you are vastly underrating his importance to this team. He made a huge leap this year and losing him would be a serious blow. I'm looking forward to Lewis having a great final year. He's physical and stayed out of foul trouble for the most part which is amazing considering how often his teammates left him to clean up their defensive messes. We need him desperately.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think people are suggesting he leaves the team, just that he gives up his scholarship and play as a walk-on.

Reactions: RUKeystone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT