ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Ellison

The demise of the BE may occur over time but it will not happen quickly. There are still a fair number of kids who like the idea of going to a school where BB is king. SJU hiring of Mullin keeps them way ahead of us in the perception game and gives them a chance to be a consistent top 4 team in the BE in a couple of years. Villanova (as long as Wright is there) and Georgetown will remain solid standard bearers for the conference.

The only question about Ellison in my mind is whether he would have been a preferable situation to the KSU transfer Johnson where we are tying up a schollie for 3 years for 2. If we thought we had a good shot which I think it appears we did then perhaps we should held off taking Johnson until Ellison decided. I know we might have lost him and obviously EJ thought he was worth the 3 for 2 but that is the only part of this I look back in retrospect and wonder about.

You have no idea what I am talking about.
Barry Rohrssen was an assistant for John Calipari at Kentucky. SJU did not hire him off the street.
Meaning he had arguably the best paying and best assistant job in the country ALREADY!!!!!
Do you think he leaves UK for similar position at Rutgers even if they could pay him, yes or no? The answer is no.
Do you think he leaves UK and Calipari for a similar position at SHU even if they could pay him, yes or no? The answer is no.
Why? Because he doesn’t think those are good jobs and good positions and doesn’t think they will win. You can disagree with him and think he is wrong but he is not leaving UK for a position on the staff at RU or SHU. Not in a million years.
So why did he leave for SJU when he had a great position already? Because he think they will win and win big. And he knows he can get players selling them with Matt and Chris.
Does that mean the winning is guaranteed? No. But my point was these coaches joined Chris Mullin because they believe it will happen or they would not have left Iowa St and Kentucky who have become perennial NCAA teams for SJU. Why would they otherwise?

I agree with all of that. All I'm saying is that they are taking a leap of faith that Mullin can actually coach the kids they are going to bring in because he has no track record in the position. Nobody can say whether Mullin is a great coach, a horrible coach, or a so so coach. That what has never happened before remains to be seen.

Nigel Johnson is a better replacement for Daniels and a tougher position to find immediate help for. Had to take the guard over the wing player.

The only question about Ellison in my mind is whether he would have been a preferable situation to the KSU transfer Johnson where we are tying up a schollie for 3 years for 2. If we thought we had a good shot which I think it appears we did then perhaps we should held off taking Johnson until Ellison decided. I know we might have lost him and obviously EJ thought he was worth the 3 for 2 but that is the only part of this I look back in retrospect and wonder about.

I have no issue taking any verbal of a kid who can play at this level. They were recruiting Ellison hard and then filled the class. Fairly quickly. Good for us. Having no 'ships available, two years after Rice left him four players, is a huge positive. And if we missed a kid partly because we filled up is not an issue to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT