ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Brackets

Gravina was a TD away from finals...beat #2 Seeded wrestler...what did you expect? NCAA Championship?

I expect an AA this year

Reactions: RUclydzFAN
in regards to coaching...several wrestlers have made great strides in tourney. Who expected how JVB, Pagano and others to perform this tourney. We are not going to be a #1 team anytime soon. Team is slowly getting better every tournament. This was a good tourney performance.if we could have had 1 finalist..might have been agreat one.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
The next step has to be a NC or major tourney win from someone...anyone. Maybe the facilities will crack the code...less Rocky and more Ivan Drago.

Last edited:
Team is improving and did much better than the experts predicted. Bad mistake by Ash. He will learn from it. Pat Popolizio has done a great job at NC State and is well respected. Not like the Brands twins. I would hope our coaches would do the same thing if it happened to Ash. Gravina looked tired at end of Dechow match and maybe just didn't get up for Brooks. Hopefully, he learns from this. We have come a long way and the future is bright. They are the best team on our campus.

Is a B10 Champ a major tounament win? I would think it is.

I woud be happy with 2 more AA's this year and some blood round wrestlers.
That would make 6 AA's in 4 years.
AA has the potential to be a NCAA Champ, but has to wrestle to the best of his ability.
(He has to get over Jack and Heil. He should have beaten Kol 2 of 3 times they met.)

Dippery needs to minimize his funk a tad. He tends to get caught (which is very similar to Perroti who gave me a heartache when he wrestled.

Tough afternoon for Ashnault and Gravina. Ashnault gets Redd tonight for 3rd. Gravina lost his wrestleback consy to Brooks. Gravina & Delvechio will wrestle for 5th tonight.
I missed all the action after Ashnaults match, as went to a viewing service for my neighbor, a NJ State Trooper who recently passed. He wrestled at SHP. Pretty sad, keeps this wrestling stuff in perspective.

Scores:

1. Iowa, IA Iowa, IA (GET) IOWA 15 133.5
2. Nebraska, NE Nebraska, NE (GET) NEB 13 121.5
3. Arizona State, AZ Arizona State, AZ (GET) ASU 13 92.5
4. Rutgers, NJ Rutgers, NJ (GET) RUT 14 90.5
5. Illinois, IL Illinois, IL (GET) ILL 15 78.0
6. Wisconsin, WI Wisconsin, WI (GET) WIS 16 70.5
7. NC State, NC North Carolina State, NC (GET) NCSU 15 70.0
8. South Dakota State, SD South Dakota State, SD (GET) SDSU 15 64.0
9. Oklahoma, OK Oklahoma, OK (GET) OU 13 58.5
10. Rider, NJ Rider, NJ (GET) RID 10 57.0

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Chad Walsh of Rider via Camden Catholic HS gets the challenge of taking on IMart at 165.

For those interested in another fanbase's perspective on the Ash-Jack penalty point, here's a link to Iowa's thread on the tourney. On this page they are wondering what was going on, and their comments begin about a third of the way down the page. These guys know their stuff at Iowa since they've been dominant for so long, and they thought it was bullshit.

Jack-Ash

For instance:

"That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. He gave Jack a head club that was hard, but not illegal. It occurred with 2 seconds left in a tied match.
NC State challenged and the refs came back and said it was illegal and gave Jack the win. Crazy"

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
Tough afternoon for Ashnault and Gravina. Ashnault gets Redd tonight for 3rd. Gravina lost his wrestleback consy to Brooks. Gravina & Delvechio will wrestle for 5th tonight.
I missed all the action after Ashnaults match, as went to a viewing service for my neighbor, a NJ State Trooper who recently passed. He wrestled at SHP. Pretty sad, keeps this wrestling stuff in perspective.

Scores:

1. Iowa, IA Iowa, IA (GET) IOWA 15 133.5
2. Nebraska, NE Nebraska, NE (GET) NEB 13 121.5
3. Arizona State, AZ Arizona State, AZ (GET) ASU 13 92.5
4. Rutgers, NJ Rutgers, NJ (GET) RUT 14 90.5
5. Illinois, IL Illinois, IL (GET) ILL 15 78.0
6. Wisconsin, WI Wisconsin, WI (GET) WIS 16 70.5
7. NC State, NC North Carolina State, NC (GET) NCSU 15 70.0
8. South Dakota State, SD South Dakota State, SD (GET) SDSU 15 64.0
9. Oklahoma, OK Oklahoma, OK (GET) OU 13 58.5
10. Rider, NJ Rider, NJ (GET) RID 10 57.0
Sorry for your loss, Abro. And that he wrestled made it that much more poignant.

Just watch DelV. He fought well but was never in control. Tied it up 5-5 with about 20 secs to go but let Morris back-up since he was going to get the extra riding point.

Jack ends up beating Kolo for the Midlands crown. Ash at least lost to the champion, but it hurts knowing how he lost to Jack. Ash would've beaten Kolo in the finals I bet as well.

Jack ends up beating Kolo for the Midlands crown. Ash at least lost to the champion, but it hurts knowing how he lost to Jack. Ash would've beaten Kolo in the finals I bet as well.

Except chances are he would have lost to Jack in OT. How many take downs against Jack in 3 matchs ? 0? Ashnault came close twice w a TD this match, and couldn't finish. Jack just to long and skilled. Ash did ride him well. Just a bad match up with Jacks size and skill. Jack looked a lot taller than Kol as well.

The biggest issue was Kolo getting the 1 seed. Had AA beaten him in Nov at RU stadium, Kolo would have been the 2nd or 3rd seed.

I agree, I think Ash will beat Kolo in the next meeting. I'm most concerned about Heil, Mckenna, and Jack... Ash will need to go through at least one or 2 of these guys to win a NCAA title and they all return next year too.

I agree, I think Ash will beat Kolo in the next meeting. I'm most concerned about Heil, Mckenna, and Jack... Ash will need to go through at least one or 2 of these guys to win a NCAA title and they all return next year too.
Or does Ash bulk up to 149 his senior year and deal with Zain?

Except chances are he would have lost to Jack in OT. How many take downs against Jack in 3 matchs ? 0? Ashnault came close twice w a TD this match, and couldn't finish. Jack just to long and skilled. Ash did ride him well. Just a bad match up with Jacks size and skill. Jack looked a lot taller than Kol as well.
Jack's height and arm length are massive weapons. Only way to counter it is with speed and leverage.

Except chances are he would have lost to Jack in OT. How many take downs against Jack in 3 matchs ? 0? Just a bad match up with Jacks size and skill. Jack looked a lot taller than Kol as well.
Jack is a really tall wrestler for the weight, 5'10, I believe. He's lean and lanky like Randy Cruz of Lehigh, whom has the same build as Jack. So if Ash can beat Cruz then he can find a way to beat Jack. What I liked about the last match between Ash and Jack was Ash rode out Jack this time, which, I don't think he did prev encounter. He also took more aggressive shots but just didn't convert. The gap on them has closed. I still hope Ash doesn't run into Jack at the NCAA.

When the 184 matches come up. They are holding the consolations to coincide with each championship bout. I expect 184 to be around 9:50 EST

Reactions: rutgers0423
Chad Walsh gave IMart everything he could handle. I thought Walsh also got screwed out of backpoints towards end of 2nd period (or early 3rd)

I hate the forfeit but I get it as well. It doesn't affect Gravina's record, we have little depth at 184 and he beat Renda already. Doesn't have anything to prove by beating him again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT