ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Brackets

I thought so too. If there was a couple of seconds left, I thought Jack might give him an escape point to even it up and go to OT. Not sure that would have been an option or not.
Match ended regulation in neutral with Jack ahead 2-1, but Ash had the riding time which would have sent it to OT if not for the extracurricular activity.

The one NCST coach was mouthing off and completely out of line.
This may have been a dumb move by Ash, but it wasn't a cheap shot out of emotion as some are suggesting. AA throws that heavy left in a lot of his matches. It's not meant to be a punch in the face, more of a heavy hand to the back of the head to get opponents off balance. It's not illegal as long as he doesn't wind it up like a punch. In this case he hit Jack's face rather than his head and it looked worse than it was. Not really a wrong call by the refs, just an unfortunate one.

This may have been a dumb move by Ash, but it wasn't a cheap shot out of emotion as some are suggesting. AA throws that heavy left in a lot of his matches. It's not meant to be a punch in the face, more of a heavy hand to the back of the head to get opponents off balance. It's not illegal as long as he doesn't wind it up like a punch. In this case he hit Jack's face rather than his head and it looked worse than it was. Not really a wrong call by the refs, just an unfortunate one.
But like playoff hockey, unless its especially egregious, you play on and don't influence matches if you are a ref.

That's what Pritzlaff seemed to have been gesturing to the refs - that Jack backed up and got hit in the face.

What a debacle. Watched the replay over a couple times. They didn't call The Slap in regulation so I don't know how you can review that. Jack was tired and I think Anthony wins in ot. When they went out of bounds with 12 seconds left the NC State Asst. coach went out on the mat and picked Jack back up. There is no way they call that against Iowa. NC State just kept yelling He punched him in the Face over and over.

I understand where you're coming from and that Ash uses heavy hands rather often, but this was not his usual heavy club. It had some extra oomph on it.

I heard the nc state coach clear as day say that ash "punched him in the head". It also sounded like towards the end jack was trying to get the refs to let them wrestle. I don't know what was worse the refs decision or the fact that ash even chanced it. He knew how much time was left.
After seeing that though, I'd love to see nc state at the RAC. That coach was just awful. The way he was throwing a tantrum because ash had him right where he wanted.

Reactions: ruready07

I'm sorry but you don't call that then and there and a coach shouldn't whine like a baby to review that. Let them wrestle like men. This match could have big implications come seeding time in March. Weak sauce all around.

Reactions: Cradle99
I heard the nc state coach clear as day say that ash "punched him in the head". It also sounded like towards the end jack was trying to get the refs to let them wrestle. I don't know what was worse the refs decision or the fact that ash even chanced it. He knew how much time was left.
After seeing that though, I'd love to see nc state at the RAC. That coach was just awful. The way he was throwing a tantrum because ash had him right where he wanted.
NC State wouldn't have the cajones to wrestle us in the RAC with 3k screaming RU fans.

Reactions: ruready07
Need Gravina to pull out a W to salvage this round.
I think Gravina will win.. Believe he jumped levels.. only guy to hang with Dean for full two periods from what I seen this year and Gravina's win over Renda looks more impressive now that Renda dominated Martin.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
I think Gravina will win.. Believe he jumped levels.. only guy to hang with Dean for full two periods from what I seen this year and Gravina's win over Renda looks more impressive now that Renda dominated Martin.

Plus he's healthy. 184 is a rough class this year, but just love the pace Gravina is on. Truly wrestling at a high level. Dean is just that good.

Reactions: KidDagger
The ref just said no take down while they are watching the replay, but now they are looking for another one...

F**k. Wonder if we might need to spring for another top grade assistant alongside Pritzlaff...preferably one who can help us get over the hump in tournaments.

Sounds like a 1 point loss where we didn't get a takedown on a review

No in Gravina's match they were reviewing if Nick got taken down at the end and he didn't so they went to SV where he lost in SV-2.

Ash just won 2-1 to move into the 3rd place match, though.

Now Gravina vs. Sammy Brooks (Iowa) for a spot in the 3rd place match

Team is representing, but it would be nice to have someone win it all .... Has RU ever had a champ in this tourney?

Gravina isn't quite who we thought he was. Brooks handled him easily

Is there something missing from the guys? We have good wrestlers, but no stone cold killers. Maybe the state of the art facilities will help, maybe we need another top assistant like Pritzlaff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT