ADVERTISEMENT

One big difference between last night and our other upsets over ranked teams

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
What makes last night's upset unique was that in our other upsets over ranked teams at the RAC, the other team didnt play as well as they can. But last night, Ohio State played great. We were just a little bit better. And I think thats why it was so loud. The crowd knew they were seeing something special

What makes last night's upset unique was that in our other upsets over ranked teams at the RAC, the other team didnt play as well as they can. But last night, Ohio State played great. We were just a little bit better. And I think thats why it was so loud. The crowd knew they were seeing something special
Purdue played well but our defense was elite. Michigan State played well but our second half defense and our incredible efficient offense was just so so much better.

Our D and crowd noise are very formidable. We shut OSU out for the last 3:48 of the game. I just saw that they hit all of their 3’s in the second half to that point going 6-6 then all of a sudden they could do nothing. We blocked everything including a breakaway. We got a lot of steals. And we made shots when they mattered. Geo with 10 pts and an assist for our last 12. OSU played great. That was a huge win.

Reactions: Scangg
I didnt think Iowa played poorly. They played some of the best defense e e had seen up to that point. They didnt shoot well. But neither did we, which I chalk up to great D.
They missed shots that they normally make. As far as their defense - I think they probably played decent defense for them but we also didn’t have a good shooting day as you said. It wasn’t their best effort.

Reactions: RUsojo
OSU is really good.
There are a number of Big Ten teams that are really good but on the road they clearly are vulnerable to disappointing performances.I would not be surprised that every Big Ten team has a least five league losses.

I disagree. Really only felt that Iowa and Michigan played poorly.
Neither Iowa nor Michigan played poorly. We were in Iowa’s jock from the time they got off the bus. That was a top 3-5 defensive lockdown of the Pike era. They couldn’t breathe and any space they created was hurried causing a few missed open shots from Bohanon. We played as poor an offensive game as we have all year . We missed maybe 10 layups or shots within 7 feet of the basket. If we didn’t brick that night and only shot a normal % we would have won by 15 or more.

Michigan had Dickinson going and he scored 25 and we let him have his but shut down everybody else including dangerous Eli Brooks , who is their glue guy and who gets them going , Jones their point was totally overwhelmed and we harassed their freshman Houston into a bad shooting night. Dikate also played well . They couldn’t stop us as we probably should have won by 15-20 if we didn’t take our foot off the gas in the last 4 minutes.

Anything you perceived that either one of them played poorly was because we locked them down and did not give them any open threes like we have given up to other teams.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
There are a number of Big Ten teams that are really good but on the road they clearly are vulnerable to disappointing performances.I would not be surprised that every Big Ten team has a least five league losses.
So you're saying that there's a chance...

Neither Iowa nor Michigan played poorly. We were in Iowa’s jock from the time they got off the bus. That was a top 3-5 defensive lockdown of the Pike era. They couldn’t breathe and any space they created was hurried causing a few missed open shots from Bohanon. We played as poor an offensive game as we have all year . We missed maybe 10 layups or shots within 7 feet of the basket. If we didn’t brick that night and only shot a normal % we would have won by 15 or more.

Michigan had Dickinson going and he scored 25 and we let him have his but shut down everybody else including dangerous Eli Brooks , who is their glue guy and who gets them going , Jones their point was totally overwhelmed and we harassed their freshman Houston into a bad shooting night. Dikate also played well . They couldn’t stop us as we probably should have won by 15-20 if we didn’t take our foot off the gas in the last 4 minutes.

Anything you perceived that either one of them played poorly was because we locked them down and did not give them any open threes like we have given up to other teams.
I’m not saying our defense wasn’t a big factor in why they didn’t play well but it wasn’t the best day for either of those teams. The point is - OSU was red hot from 3 and killed us on the glass. They played an all around great game except for fast break defense which I credit Pike for. It was good coaching - they didn’t expect us to push pace and we executed. Well done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT