ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Thread

Huge fvck up in the triathlon start. Starter blew the horn for the swim to begin but a big boat was still in the way of half the field and couldn’t go. They had to chase down all the swimmers who started and redo the start.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: newell138
Strongly disagree. The IOC is doing its best to get these games over and done with before the Japanese government puts the kibosh on them.

The medal ceremony is supposed to be about the medal recipients. And it is. It is not about us.

The IOC announced that the winners can now take their masks off on the podium for 30 seconds so they can smile for photos

Olympic Golf needed a team competition like the Ryder Cup.
They should have 16 qualifying teams. The winner would play four times.
They could start early and finish it by the last day of the Olympics.
First day, play alternate shot and foursome and second day singles.
I think this would be more exciting than the Ryder Cup.
The reason they do it this way is to not punish someone who is from a country with just one or two good players. Sucks that it's basically just a typical stroke play event like we see 50 times per year already. Mixed doubles would be awesome to watch and great for the sport.

That was a deal breaker?
didn't take that much to go from 95% non-interest to 100%. consider it 1/20th of the contribution. but the last part to put it over the top.. (to keep it in perspective of my position..had they chosen a woman to hold it ARM EXTENED like the good ol days I'd have gone back to 75% and kissed her arse. :) AKA..it wasn't a gender issue for me it was a PC cop out issue.

Fencing is cool. What an art
we had a national champion (one of my classmates, Rutgers HOFer Alexis Jemal) who also won a silver at the 2007 Pan American games. Not sure why she didn't compete in 2008 though

That’s terrible. At least skateboarding is part of the xgames and a “sport” for many years. Similar to snowboarding in the winter games. What the hell is 3x3 basketball and who is playing it? Come on…..
Just anybody anywhere who plays basketball in playgrounds across the country. You went to a court you played half court most of the time. Which meant 3 on 3. If there were enough people who wanted to you would run full court.

Just anybody anywhere who plays basketball in playgrounds across the country. You went to a court you played half court most of the time. Which meant 3 on 3. If there were enough people who wanted to you would run full court. If you went to a court and acted like you don't know what 3 on 3 half court is you would literally be laughed at.

Reactions: koleszar
What did we send to Tokyo? Nightmare Team?

Get MJ, Bird, Magic, Barkley and Ewing on this team ASAP.
Those guys were great but they were also probably going against 5 NBA players total spread across all the teams. Today most teams they face are going to have multiple NBA guys. There's no Angola in Olympic basketball anymore.

Just anybody anywhere who plays basketball in playgrounds across the country. You went to a court you played half court most of the time. Which meant 3 on 3. If there were enough people who wanted to you would run full court.
Yes, but does that make it its own separate Olympic-level sport? I played pond hockey, where there is no goaltender but if you hit the shoe that was set up where the "goal" was supposed to be, that was considered a goal...NEW OLYMPIC SPORT, BRITCHES!!!!

Yes, but does that make it its own separate Olympic-level sport? I played pond hockey, where there is no goaltender but if you hit the shoe that was set up where the "goal" was supposed to be, that was considered a goal...NEW OLYMPIC SPORT, BRITCHES!!!!
Big difference between something you played with your homies and a game that's played by everyone who plays street ball and now even has it own pro league.

Reactions: Greg2020
Big difference between something you played with your homies and a game that's played by everyone who plays street ball and now even has it own pro league.
a pro league made up of retired pros and players that couldn't make it or stay in the league... its pretty ridiculous to have it in the Olympics.

Olympics fans complaining about new sport additions remind me of CFB fans complaining about extra bowls. Just don't watch.

I like that they continually add new content, try to appeal to different audiences and keep it fresh. Sometimes I'm surprised by things I never would have watched that are actually quite compelling. Sometimes, as with skateboarding, the opposite. If it doesn't work, they can tweak or dump it for next time.

In the on-demand age, there's so much available Olympic content, you can watch the Olympics without wasting time on stuff you have no interest in.

Maybe they can have 2x2 basketball next Olympics and coax Billy Hoyle and Sidney Deane out of retirement.

Reactions: rurichdog
This is straight up unwatchable, gave about 2 hours a try this weekend. Loved the olympics up till probably 2016 when I was only following Usain Bolt. Has the coverage changed or something? Barely anyone I know is following it when years ago it was the primary conversation for 2 weeks. Just feels like there is no buzz among the general population, but that seems to be prevalent in almost all forms of sports nowadays.

Reactions: bac2therac
This is straight up unwatchable, gave about 2 hours a try this weekend. Loved the olympics up till probably 2016 when I was only following Usain Bolt. Has the coverage changed or something? Barely anyone I know is following it when years ago it was the primary conversation for 2 weeks. Just feels like there is no buzz among the general population, but that seems to be prevalent in almost all forms of sports nowadays.

I think part of the problem is there's no bad guy to root against or at least not like we did with Russia. I know China is a bad guy but a different kind, the Olympics in the past were always Russia vs the US and then to a lesser degree the soviet block vs the rest of Europe.

Olympics fans complaining about new sport additions remind me of CFB fans complaining about extra bowls. Just don't watch.

I like that they continually add new content, try to appeal to different audiences and keep it fresh. Sometimes I'm surprised by things I never would have watched that are actually quite compelling. Sometimes, as with skateboarding, the opposite. If it doesn't work, they can tweak or dump it for next time.

In the on-demand age, there's so much available Olympic content, you can watch the Olympics without wasting time on stuff you have no interest in.
Simple as that. Like that one commercial on TV says "it's not complicated. Watch something else if it bothers you so much. I'm not gonna turn on NBC tonight and see maybe Olympic fencing or skeet shooting on and immediately come on here and go why is fencing on? 😩 Or why is skeet shooting in the Olympics. But know what I am gonna do. I'm gonna pick up my remote and switch to one of the other dozens of channels I have to choose from because I have no interest in fencing or skeet shooting.

Reactions: Greg2020 and fsg2
Simple as that. Like that one commercial on TV says "it's not complicated. Watch something else if it bothers you so much. I'm not gonna turn on NBC tonight and see maybe Olympic fencing or skeet shooting on and immediately come on here and go why is fencing on? 😩 Or why is skeet shooting in the Olympics. But know what I am gonna do. I'm gonna pick up my remote and switch to one of the other dozens of channels I have to choose from because I have no interest in fencing or skeet shooting.
Hulu even added some kind of Olympic personalization where you can set up a whole sub-menu of Olympic content you like. Looks sweet but haven't set it up yet.

I was watching beach volleyball. Those ladies are in great shape. Skateboarding didn't make sense and I and watch the X Games. Team Handball is interesting since we played it in gym class. Badminton always amazes me since there are so many clubs in Europe but I never see them here in the US.

Last edited:
Hulu even added some kind of Olympic personalization where you can set up a whole sub-menu of Olympic content you like. Looks sweet but haven't set it up yet.
What I like is that on Directv they have one channel where they show what event each of the NBC affiliates are showing at the current time in a split screen format. NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA, The Olympic Channel. So that way I can quickly and easily choose what if any I want to watch and then select that channel.

Another stupid sport I watched today, 3 x 3 basketball. Who comes up with this stupid sh*t?

It's just the process of taking team play out of the game. Like making the home run derby more important than the actual All Star Game. Dunks and 3 pointers and nothing else.

What I like is that on Directv they have one channel where they show what event each of the NBC affiliates are showing at the current time in a split screen format. NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA, The Olympic Channel. So that way I can quickly and easily choose what if any I want to watch and then select that channel.
I find myself channel surfing then once something peaks my interest I stay on it. Love all the channels except NBC. It’s just strictly sports on the other channels from one event right onto the next.. NBC does too much talking and side bullsh*t. I find myself rarely watching NBC. My wife has already conceded she will be watching the Olympics for the next two weeks. I finally won one.

Reactions: RUDead
It's just the process of taking team play out of the game. Like making the home run derby more important than the actual All Star Game. Dunks and 3 pointers and nothing else.
Nothing but the frequent passing that improves chances for those 3s going in?

Neither the HR Derby nor AS game is important.

I think part of the problem is there's no bad guy to root against or at least not like we did with Russia. I know China is a bad guy but a different kind, the Olympics in the past were always Russia vs the US and then to a lesser degree the soviet block vs the rest of Europe.
China is a lot worse than Russia ever was, they are basically the modern day Nazis and they try everything in their power to try to undermine the US. They just don't threaten Europe (threatening Asia), so most Americans don't think too much about them, not to mention most of the Western media is sold out to them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind the 3x3 idea IF they actually had top tier players doing it, but unfortunately its not the case. It should have been purely an exhibition event as a concept for future Olympics once they can convince the elite players to join. Especially for countries that have only a handful elite level quality players (such as Greece or Taiwan) it would be particularly intriguing since you could potentially see some huge upsets along the way.

Olympic dunking would actually also be pretty awesome since you might be able to get the Gerald Green type of insane NBA dunkers competing against the Jordan Kilganon type pro dunkers.

Praying that Beth does a great job……………and gets hired away from doing college football
The sad part is that she is better at calling college football than the softball game I watched last night.

I think you're underestimating the popularity of pond hockey around the world, or at least in the northern hemisphere. It may not have its own pro league, but there are national and international championships that some retired pro/junior/college players play in, and its rules differ from regular ice hockey more than 3v3 basketball differs from regular basketball. I don't think either should be an Olympic sport because they are just variations of an already existing Olympic sport. That is why the proposal for roller hockey was denied about 15-20 years ago, and you could make a much better case for roller hockey than you could for 3v3 basketball or pond hockey--the rules and fundamentals of the sport are more different from the main sport, pro and semi-pro leagues as well as world championships had been well-established, and roller would be in the Summer Olympics while ice is in the winter. Either way, instead of adding variations of a sport, I'd rather see entirely different sports be represented.

Reactions: Section124
Xfinity has just highlights of everything makes for easy watching

Swimming has been great tonight especially the 100 breaststroke

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT