ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ACC might want to settle instead of going to court

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
Besides all of the goodies coming out about them in the lawsuit, there’s this tweet, shedding light on another set of possible angles that could be used to get out of the league

I had heard rumblings about this previously, but this is the first time I’ve seen this publicly spoken about

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Speculation, but even if not, if that were to happen it would follow years of litigation.

Would be great to see FSU get out, have the Big Ten and SEC turn their backs on them, and have no home whatsoever and have to try to be independent.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Ugh, politicians trying to fix sports.
Sounds like a recipe for success...

It's an interesting take on the situation & I get where big $ is involved, many will pull out whatever stops necessary to get that big $.

College-athletics - where college was "first" is now just Big $-athletics

Speculation, but even if not, if that were to happen it would follow years of litigation.

Would be great to see FSU get out, have the Big Ten and SEC turn their backs on them, and have no home whatsoever and have to try to be independent.
Yeeaaaahhhh…. Not gonna happen

Reactions: OriginalKnight
That would be the death knell for FSU. It would drag out in litigation and would probably make the B1G and SEC to back away. The B1G and SEC have their choice of candidates and tend not to want to get into bed with people that would be long term problems.

Last edited:
Besides all of the goodies coming out about them in the lawsuit, there’s this tweet, shedding light on another set of possible angles that could be used to get out of the league

I had heard rumblings about this previously, but this is the first time I’ve seen this publicly spoken about

This is comical. Hey, I willingly signed a bad contract and ended the Big East Conference, but now I need a politician to bail me out with dirty politics, because I'm stuck. I'd love for this to blow up on FSU and the state of FL.

Death knell is staying put in the ACC
Hence, getting the hell out in 1-2 years
Agreed. I’m talking about their landing spot options. Best bet is to leave politicians and minimize litigation. They also have to minimize these leaks.

This is comical. Hey, I willingly signed a bad contract and ended the Big East Conference, but now I need a politician to bail me out with dirty politics, because I'm stuck. I'd love for this to blow up on FSU and the state of FL.
Did you read the lawsuit?

Reactions: Jimpeg
Agreed. I’m talking about their landing spot options. Best bet is to leave politicians and minimize litigation. They also have to minimize these leaks.
Politicians have a lot of bluster that they want everyone to hear, regardless of the consequences.

Reactions: rucoe89
Litigation is the first option
So far, the Acc wants no part of it
Take your fandom out of it. The ACC doesn’t want any part of it because they don’t need to engage. Disclosure will not be kind to either side. Specifically the ACC. They are somewhat in control and time is on their side. The ACC knows they are a dead man walking if they engage and once the GOR timeline gets closer and buyouts are reduced they will not be a viable destination.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did. FSU administration should've been removed for their incompetence. Now they want a bail out.
Definitely incompetence
Thankfully, we’ve got component people in charge now

But the ACC willingly lied and withheld revalent information

Why the ACC isn’t willing to settle, when it’s obvious what’s going to happen, is beyond me

• Haha
Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
Assume they get out of the ACC, would you trust them? This was an issue with Texas and the Big 12 and in a few years have to wonder if Texas will cause issues in the SEC.
Why wouldn’t you?

They were ideal conference members for 30 years, until the money gap got too large, and the league which they carried for the majority of that time refused to do anything about it

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Definitely incompetence
Thankfully, we’ve got component people in charge now

But the ACC willingly lied and withheld revalent information

Why the ACC isn’t willing to settle, when it’s obvious what’s going to happen, is beyond me

Why wouldn’t you?

They were ideal conference members for 30 years, until the money gap got too large, and the league which they carried for the majority of that time refused to do anything about it
That's some fairytale. Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true. They willingly signed or approved a GORs for what they thought was good $ through 2036, but ESPN only guaranteed payments through 2027, and B1G and SEC lapped them, so now they want to take their ball and leave. I have no sympathy and hope they lose or pay $500M+.

Why wouldn’t you?

They were part of the negotiation that they signed up for. Now they don't like it and want to screw over the others now that they want more. They can do what they want, but wouldn't trust them as a partner.

FSU is starting to seem like more trouble than they're worth. Eventually whatever new conference better beware. If they don't like the deal they willingly signed or feel slighted in 5 to 10 yrs. look for them to bitch to the media and then sue.

That's some fairytale. Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true. They willingly signed or approved a GORs for what they thought was good $ through 2036, but ESPN only guaranteed payments through 2027, and B1G and SEC lapped them, so now they want to take their ball and leave. I have no sympathy and hope they lose or pay $500M+.
You do realize when the signed it, they were told it extended until 2036 (no mention of the 2027 opt out was mentioned). By all accounts, that’s not legal

Additionally, it was signed in good faith under the guise of the league, doing everything I could to keep up with the Big Ten and SEC

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve realize the ACC has not kept their end of the bargain in that regard

No matter, though, we will be out of the league in the next year or two, and all this bluster by the ACC will all be for naught

They were part of the negotiation that they signed up for. Now they don't like it and want to screw over the others now that they want more. They can do what they want, but wouldn't trust them as a partner.
There was information withheld that they did not find out about until they went to the office with their attorneys to view the grant of rights

Nobody in the right mind would stick around in a conference like that if information that pertinent was withheld, in addition to the yearly revenue discrepancy

FSU is starting to seem like more trouble than they're worth. Eventually whatever new conference better beware, if they don't like the deal they willing fully signed or feel slighted in 5 to 10 yrs. look for them to bitch to the media and then sue.
You do realize we were in the conference for 30 years, carrying it for the majority of the time, being ideal partners, winning championships, bringing in loads of money…and did not cause any issues until the last year or two due to the insane money, discrepancy, right?

There was information withheld that they did not find out about until they went to the office with their attorneys to view the grant of rights

Nobody in the right mind would stick around in a conference like that if information that pertinent was withheld, in addition to the yearly revenue discrepancy
Was it withheld (their story) or a failure of diligence on their part. The litigation will tell.

If the ACC falls apart, the other school that cannot be trusted is Miami. We know how they operate.

Was it withheld (their story) or a failure of diligence on their part. The litigation will tell.

If the ACC falls apart, the other school that cannot be trusted is Miami. We know how they operate.
The litigation will certainly tell, and by all accounts, it’s not something the ACC wants aired in public

Miami has been neutered ever since Donna got her paws on them and entrusted their future to Nevin

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Reality is whether it is 2026 or 2036, FSU, UNC at a minimum, with at least 2-4 more (pick between UVA, NCSt, Miami, Clemson, VTech will be in the SEC or BIG10.

Can't fault FSU for trying to make it earlier. You can call them stupid for signing GOR away, but no one expected the difference to be over 50 Million per year between conferences in the early 2030s. I for one prefer FSU in the Big10 than in the SEC.

The litigation will certainly tell, and by all accounts, it’s not something the ACC wants aired in public

Miami has been neutered ever since Donna got her paws on them and entrusted their future to Nevin
very true

just remember, you're arguing with a fanbase;
-that thinks asking for 8 wins is wrong and sets one up to criticize gary
-thinks rebuilds are 6-7yrs
-having the worst qb in d1 is OK
etc etc etc

FSU looking out for themselves is great, wish we did more of that

very true

just remember, you're arguing with a fanbase;
-that thinks asking for 8 wins is wrong and sets one up to criticize gary
-thinks rebuilds are 6-7yrs
-having the worst qb in d1 is OK
etc etc etc

FSU looking out for themselves is great, wish we did more of that
Everybody needs to look out for themselves

Everybody bends the rules, and if you’re going to bend them, at least do it efficiently and start winning

Personally, I would love if Urban, Deion, etc as long as we started to win, and did not pull a Penn State or Baylor while doing it, that is all that would matter to me

What percentage of B1G members is needed to approve a school bring added?

I can see several angles that could generate opposition to a Florida State addition.

The most obvious one is the western schools not wanting the conference to shift focus to the Southeast so soon after they were added.

What percentage of B1G members is needed to approve a school bring added?

I can see several angles that could generate opposition to a Florida State addition.

The most obvious one is the western schools not wanting the conference to shift focus to the Southeast so soon after they were added.
Ultimately it all comes down to money

If the addition of whichever schools they decide to bring in generate enough additional revenue, I don’t think that there will be much, if any, opposition

Reactions: RU_DIO
I hate the ACC so anything FSU can do to destabilize it and cause its collapse is fine with me. The ACC tried to bury us and they began the conference realignment mess with their raids on the Big East. Any legal misfortune which falls upon that conference is welcome.

You do realize when the signed it, they were told it extended until 2036 (no mention of the 2027 opt out was mentioned). By all accounts, that’s not legal

Additionally, it was signed in good faith under the guise of the league, doing everything I could to keep up with the Big Ten and SEC

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve realize the ACC has not kept their end of the bargain in that regard

No matter, though, we will be out of the league in the next year or two, and all this bluster by the ACC will all be for naught
We'll see if anything was withheld or if it was neglect and incompetence by the FSU administration, who should've actually read the contract or had their lawyers read it, instead of relying on some summary (or 30 mins conversation) likely prepared by an ACC lawyer's summer associate or paralegal.
Exactly. It sounds like the latter but we'll see what the facts show.
I hate the ACC so anything FSU can do to destabilize it and cause its collapse is fine with me. The ACC tried to bury us and they began the conference realignment mess with their raids on the Big East. Any legal misfortune which falls upon that conference is welcome.
You realize FSU administration was a huge proponent of dismantling the Big East and played a huge rule in making it happen...

We'll see if anything was withheld or if it was neglect and incompetence by the FSU administration, who should've actually read the contract or had their lawyers read it, instead of relying on some summary (or 30 mins conversation) likely prepared by an ACC lawyer's summer associate or paralegal.

Exactly. It sounds like the latter but we'll see what the facts show.

You realize FSU administration was a huge proponent of dismantling the Big East and played a huge rule in making it happen...
that's not true
Donna initiated this, she went to the ACC leadership who then ran with it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT