ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone go to the gym today?

I've never been gladder about my home gym since this all started. I'm still doing my P90x every day like always...

Reactions: Knight Shift
the problem with the cheap blue masks is sometimes they break, had a malfunction in the gym and had to scurry into the lockeroom where i poke a hole in the mask and then looped and tied the string so it held.

but definitely loving the empty gym, hope it stays that way

Reactions: scripts and batts
Wait. You weren't allowed to wear a surgical mask? That's interesting. My mother (age 87) goes to planet fitness in Long Island and gaiter masks are not allowed.. Only surgical or cloth.
God bless you and your Mom. A lot of “men” can learn from you. Keep on living.

Reactions: Zimm80
Can’t wear them at PFit. I’m dying with that efing cloth mask. Noticed today a lot of ppl on treadmill wearing below their nose

I went back to my gym this morning....after going through the expected waiver warnings, being given antibacterial sprays to use, I went in to the workout area.

I immediately was disappointed that about 30% of those inside working out were not using their masks properly....as you mention, some not covering their nose, others taking off the mask totally while chatting in between sets, some with the mask all the way down to the neck, etc

I mentioned it to the two managers at the place, and their response was that it is hard to stop it....I suggested they have someone walk around fairly regularly and remind the clients

anyway, the managers themselves were using some sort of plastic face mask that was completely open above and below...all it seemed to do is bounce your breath off the plastic straight on, but would not stop germs from going above or below the mask and out into the surroundings

the managers took offense to my suggestion that the mask they themselves was not the safest looking thing, and as they represent the establishment, should find better safety equipment themselves

the end result was that, since I could see they were personally insulted, that I would not return, a mutual agreed upon solution

I had been a steady customer of this place for 12 years, and came to this place when another place owned by them had closed , so we are talking more like 30 years.

I am not paranoid about the virus in other situations that are outdoors...I have already been dining out about eight times and seen 4 outdoor concerts since these things were allowed
providing there is proper spacing

...but this disregard in an enclosed area gets my attention because indoor exposure is much more likely to pass the virus
than the outdoor events

my guess is that this place will not survive because I did see another customer concerned the same as me, and quit
the club

I went back to my gym this morning....after going through the expected waiver warnings, being given antibacterial sprays to use, I went in to the workout area.

I immediately was disappointed that about 30% of those inside working out were not using their masks properly....as you mention, some not covering their nose, others taking off the mask totally while chatting in between sets, some with the mask all the way down to the neck, etc

I mentioned it to the two managers at the place, and their response was that it is hard to stop it....I suggested they have someone walk around fairly regularly and remind the clients

anyway, the managers themselves were using some sort of plastic face mask that was completely open above and below...all it seemed to do is bounce your breath off the plastic straight on, but would not stop germs from going above or below the mask and out into the surroundings

the managers took offense to my suggestion that the mask they themselves was not the safest looking thing, and as they represent the establishment, should find better safety equipment themselves

the end result was that, since I could see they were personally insulted, that I would not return, a mutual agreed upon solution

I had been a steady customer of this place for 12 years, and came to this place when another place owned by them had closed , so we are talking more like 30 years.

I am not paranoid about the virus in other situations that are outdoors...I have already been dining out about eight times and seen 4 outdoor concerts since these things were allowed

...but this disregard in an enclosed area gets my attention because indoor exposure is much more likely to pass the virus
than the outdoor events

my guess is that this place will not survive because I did see another customer concerned the same as me, and quit
the club
I think you are indeed paranoid, everywhere.

Reactions: RocktheRac
I think you are indeed paranoid, everywhere.

I have friends that have not gone anywhere since this thing began..... I revise my personal count to 12 dinners out, multiple lunches, a wedding reception, and 4 outdoor concerts....I would imagine that is more than the average joe at this point

Reactions: Jm0513
I have friends that have not gone anywhere since this thing began..... I revise my personal count to 12 dinners out, multiple lunches, a wedding reception, and 4 outdoor concerts....I would imagine that is more than the average joe at this point
Me too and I'm almost sad for them. Healthy young people home..scared. Not me...
My ice cream count is up to about 33. Hahaha (Ok, so I'm exaggerating)
Sounds like a fun summer. Enjoy the weekend..looks like we will have nice weather.

Reactions: bac2therac
Me too and I'm almost sad for them. Healthy young people home..scared. Not me...
Sounds like a fun summer. Enjoy the weekend..looks like we will have nice weather.

thanks.... you are young, so eat all the ice cream you want!

80's group "Jessies girl" will be performing Wed Sept 16th 7:30 at the
Lyndhurst municipal park...... pretty good group if you have not seen them....would suggest you go if in the area then

than the outdoor events

the club

Lame of them. You figure they'd want to a. Keep things on the up and up and b. Retain a customer. Or two, apparently.

Maybe they're on their way out already.

Reactions: wheezer
I wonder how many people won’t go back simply because they’ve gotten better at effectively working out at home/doing other things to stay in shape.

it’s sorta like haircuts for me. I was so used to squeezing in a cut every three weeks or so, but since March I’ve gotten pretty good with a set of clippers on me and my kids.
Yep, I've always been pretty lazy and somewhat cheap and not particularly concerned with being fashionable, so I used to get 3-4 haircuts a year. Haven't had one since we started our quarantine on 3/2 and it's pretty damn long now. Since I'm retired, am considering having my wife try to do a mohawk or maybe shaving my head, just for kicks. I always did exercises at home and walked a lot at work, so I now do the walking at home - don't do weights, so never needed a gym. I miss sports, though - tore my rotator cuff a week before quarantine and have no intention of getting the surgery until we have a vaccine (I can live without playing soccer, golf, frisbee, and other sports until then and can still play disc golf).

Reactions: RUBOB72
Yep, I've always been pretty lazy and somewhat cheap and not particularly concerned with being fashionable, so I used to get 3-4 haircuts a year. Haven't had one since we started our quarantine on 3/2 and it's pretty damn long now. Since I'm retired, am considering having my wife try to do a mohawk or maybe shaving my head, just for kicks. I always did exercises at home and walked a lot at work, so I now do the walking at home - don't do weights, so never needed a gym. I miss sports, though - tore my rotator cuff a week before quarantine and have no intention of getting the surgery until we have a vaccine (I can live without playing soccer, golf, frisbee, and other sports until then and can still play disc golf).

Just curious on why you are afraid of getting surgery done at a hospital. If you broke a bone would you not go?

Can’t wait until F45 opens up again. It’s a great workout but I’ve been lucky that we have a great basic gym at work and showers in the locker room.

Count me in the done with commercial gyms crowd. I have always had a pretty solid set up in my house (smith machine, t bar row, shoulder press, cables, arc trainer, treadmill) but felt I needed a commercial gym to get the most out of my workouts.

COVID taught me that isn't true. I will not be returning to a commercial gym - no more waiting for some clown who is spending 45 minutes on the smith machine or dealing with nasty locker rooms

FWIW, I found that kettlebells provide me with more bang for the buck than all of my weight equipment - the workouts are harder and more intense, easier on the body (no injuries like I used to constantly have with free weights) and I can get a killer workout in 30 minutes a day

Count me in the done with commercial gyms crowd. I have always had a pretty solid set up in my house (smith machine, t bar row, shoulder press, cables, arc trainer, treadmill) but felt I needed a commercial gym to get the most out of my workouts.

COVID taught me that isn't true. I will not be returning to a commercial gym - no more waiting for some clown who is spending 45 minutes on the smith machine or dealing with nasty locker rooms

FWIW, I found that kettlebells provide me with more bang for the buck than all of my weight equipment - the workouts are harder and more intense, easier on the body (no injuries like I used to constantly have with free weights) and I can get a killer workout in 30 minutes a day
Kettlebells are free weights but I get you meant as opposed to barbells/dumbbells. Plus whatever works for you is what’s important.

Kettlebells are free weights but I get you meant as opposed to barbells/dumbbells. Plus whatever works for you is what’s important.
They are, but the workouts are very different... more movement and flow based and better recruitment of stabilizing muscles

Something like the turkish get up (see below) just gives you so much "bang for the buck"

Turkish Getup

Reactions: miket007
They are, but the workouts are very different... more movement and flow based and better recruitment of stabilizing muscles

Something like the turkish get up (see below) just gives you so much "bang for the buck"

Turkish Getup
I had joined a gym in September 2019, and prior to that, I had never used a kettlebelll. This gym was a cross-fit type of gym (but not cross-fit), where there are a variety of group classes, where they do a fair a amount of body weight exercises, TRX bands, rope slamming, medicine balls, dumbells, box jumps, and kettlebells.

I found kettlebells to be horrendous to work out with. Did plenty of kettlebell swings and some exercises like the one shown in your link, but I hated them. Aside from the kettlebells, I had developed pain in both of my ankles while working out at the gym, and it was probably due to box jumps. I stopped going to the gym in March, and the pain in my ankles finally subsided.

As I posted above, I workout in my basement. Between the variety of workouts on Beachbody, and just doing bodyweight (pushups, pullups, dips, leg raises, hollows, etc) excercises, dumbell work, barbell work and using a Powertec work bench, I have made more gains in 4 or 5 months than I did at the gym.

Jerry Texeira has a great Youtube channel on bodyweight exercises. I have learned more from Jerry and several people I follow on Twitter than I learned at 8 months at the gym. I have issued with ankle stability, and squats and lunges have always been a problem for me. Jerry Texeira posted a video that has helped me make major gains.

It is all out there for free, but you have to work to find what you want and what works for you. I do miss the community aspect of the gym a little bit, but after the gains I continue to make at home and no ankle issues, I doubt I will ever go to the gym again.

We have not done much. Zero visits to the beach, and we live 3 miles away. It really isn't about being scared as much as we kept hearing about issues with huge crowds and parking. We will go after Labor Day. We have not eaten out since the pandemic started, and with the high heat and humidity, we did not want to sit outside and sweat while we eat.

We joined a boat club, and we have gone out on the boat twice every week, and that has been our more than adequate substitute for the beach. We have traveled some to visit colleges with our son, and we dined out several times in upstate NY.

I miss concerts and live music, and maybe I need to search a little more to find some live events. We had tried to get tickets for Southside Johnny's drive in concert at Monmouth Park, but it was sold out.

But I agree with @wheezer 's feelings about his gym. I would not go to a place where they are carelessly enforcing mask rules.

Reactions: Jm0513 and wheezer
To prevent injuries and live a healthier life, flexibility is much more important than bulk/muscle building, especially when you are north of 35. Put down the weights and do calisthenics and stretching.

Just curious on why you are afraid of getting surgery done at a hospital. If you broke a bone would you not go?
I think I had a rotator cuff tear and couldn’t lift my arm for at least 6-8 months. I didn’t think it would ever heal but over a year later, I can now raise my arm almost 95% of my prior flexibility. The body does heal itself sometimes.

I also didn’t go to the doctor for a broken finger in the past but it took a couple of years before it healed completely.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think I had a rotator cuff tear and couldn’t lift my arm for at least 6-8 months. I didn’t think it would ever heal but over a year later, I can now raise my arm almost 95% of my prior flexibility. The body does heal itself sometimes.

I also didn’t go to the doctor for a broken finger in the past but it took a couple of years before it healed completely.

6-8 months, you def had a tear

I strained mine once on the job, thought I tore it, but the doc put me in a sling for 10 days, I felt much better in 2 weeks

My gym membership expires next week, I'm going to stop in and see what's up today and negotiate a month to month plan

Went on Wednesday midday. Was relatively empty. Had my Under Armor mask, weight gloves, and sanitizer in my pocket. My gym has 2 levels with the lifters downstairs and nautilus machines upstairs. Was like 15 people downstairs where I did a few exercises. Upstairs was just me.

They had tape boxes around equipment on the floor for social distancing and lots of signage.

Of course going after work or on a weekend may be more crowded.

They had a good check in process with contact tracing info gathering and a Covid questionnaire.

Wipes were readily available all over.

To prevent injuries and live a healthier life, flexibility is much more important than bulk/muscle building, especially when you are north of 35. Put down the weights and do calisthenics and stretching.

Most doctors like a combination of weight and aerobic exercise...... one doctor I had thought the benefits of weight lifting/resistance were more than gained by
Running or biking etc if you had to choose one or the other

Thought being it helps with sugar control and a few other issues

Truth is that a balance of the two is probably best, just don't over do the amount of weight

Many Surgeons have alternative surgical buildings that DO NOT service walk-ins or ER type patients.

They do their specific surgery and you are in and out the same day.

My colon Doc; Dr Robert Lake (saved my life) Has his colon surgery in Eatontown, on Industrial Ave.

Reactions: scripts
I stopped in at Retro Fitness in Belleville today.They allowed me to freeze my membership until October 13th,after which they would charge my credit card.What they don't know is the credit card that they have on file-as Ron Ziegler would say-inoperative.

I told them that I signed up for a gym that had lockers and showers,not some Huxley hell.

All I'm asking for is for them to freeze my membership at no cost until The Ides of March world is restored-at least most of those conditions.

I stopped in at Retro Fitness in Belleville today.They allowed me to freeze my membership until October 13th,after which they would charge my credit card.What they don't know is the credit card that they have on file-as Ron Ziegler would say-inoperative.

I told them that I signed up for a gym that had lockers and showers,not some Huxley hell.

All I'm asking for is for them to freeze my membership at no cost until The Ides of March world is restored-at least most of those conditions.
I would have thought Retro is month to month, cancel any time.

Went on Wednesday midday. Was relatively empty. Had my Under Armor mask, weight gloves, and sanitizer in my pocket. My gym has 2 levels with the lifters downstairs and nautilus machines upstairs. Was like 15 people downstairs where I did a few exercises. Upstairs was just me.

They had tape boxes around equipment on the floor for social distancing and lots of signage.

Of course going after work or on a weekend may be more crowded.

They had a good check in process with contact tracing info gathering and a Covid questionnaire.

Wipes were readily available all over.

I just ordered the UA mask...should be here tomorrow. How do you like it?

My LIfetime gym has been a ghost town. I am there at 6am and it's always pretty busy. Yesterday there were 2 of us on the almost 100 cardio machines. One of the trainers told me that only 3 trainers have returned and that the majority of members have put their membership on freeze until January. The ladies locker room has 450 lockers...I was the only person in there yesterday.

they have done a great job "social distancing" everything.....

lockers with the stickers can't be used
QdAJF8S.jpg

every other sink

wHazydZ.jpg

every other cardio machine can be used

h1MstyH.jpg

basketball court taken over by spin class in order to maintain the 200 square feet per person

vk7JZek.jpg

I just ordered the UA mask...should be here tomorrow. How do you like it?

My LIfetime gym has been a ghost town. I am there at 6am and it's always pretty busy. Yesterday there were 2 of us on the almost 100 cardio machines. One of the trainers told me that only 3 trainers have returned and that the majority of members have put their membership on freeze until January. The ladies locker room has 450 lockers...I was the only person in there yesterday.

they have done a great job "social distancing" everything.....

lockers with the stickers can't be used
QdAJF8S.jpg

every other sink

wHazydZ.jpg

every other cardio machine can be used

h1MstyH.jpg

basketball court taken over by spin class in order to maintain the 200 square feet per person

vk7JZek.jpg
Hope it can stay in business. Looks like a nice fitness center.

Great to see one of the guys who's consistently cried the loudest about every restriction stepping up, putting his money where his mouth is and helping support the businesses that need it the most. Way to follow through!
Errrr.....giving them a fake credit card while ...still complaining.

Ok, gotta ask: Is that just a fair maiden that works at Amazon, or a hulked out Amazonian lifter chick?

No judgements, just curiosity.

She’s a big, muscular personal trainer who looks very hot in tight workout outfits. She’s also very curvy.

Reactions: fsg2
Great to see one of the guys who's consistently cried the loudest about every restriction stepping up, putting his money where his mouth is and helping support the businesses that need it the most. Way to follow through!
Why should my freedom be dependent on others' refusal to take care of themselves for decades?

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I had a Commercial version of the Chuck Norris home total fitness workout machine and hundreds of pounds of dumbbells in my basement. I joined a gym in Boonton about 12 years ago which I absolutely love so I decided to give my home equipment to my plumber who saved me a lot of money on various jobs in my home 6 years ago. Doah!!!!

With that said, my gym was a big part of my life both fitness and social wise. I lifted weights (mostly machines and dumbbells), used treadmills, elliptical machines, pushed weighted sled, and joined a spin class. It left a void in my life when it suddenly closed down during Covid. I went back on the day it opened. Attendance is sparse which is generally good but I still miss my “gym friends” who have not returned.

Pretty sure you're one of the high risk coots we're protecting. Try again?
I'm no risk.I trust the science,the nutritional science of quercetin,zinc,goldenseal,D3,DHEA,melatonin,and astaxathin.I've been doing this since 1985,the year that the Saudis sneaked Obama into Chicago.I wish that all health concerns were as easy to handle as is this third rate epidemic.

I know what gyms do.Major League Fitness screwed me out of 2 years of pre-paid membership in 2002.The class action suit went nowhere.In this case,I'm not stealing anything,just wanting them to give me the conditions of the gym for which I signed up in 2009.I'm just keeping leverage here.When the election is over and scam ends,I'll gladly return.

I know what gyms do.Major League Fitness screwed me out of 2 years of pre-paid membership in 2002.The class action suit went nowhere.In this case,I'm not stealing anything,just wanting them to give me the conditions of the gym for which I signed up in 2009.I'm just keeping leverage here.When the election is over and scam ends,I'll gladly return.

I was a member of Major league fitness On Rte 46 in Parsippany. I showed up one day and the lights were dim. Inside, the owner of Gold‘s gym in Whippany stated that he will honor the duration of contracts at Golds. Fortunately, I only had three or four months to go on my contract. The sleazy owner of Major league tried to sell me a two-year contract two weeks before it closed. I kind of liked the Gold’s in Whippany but the parking during peak hours was terrible.You had to park in an office complex off of Route 10.

Reactions: RUhasarrived
I've never been a gym guy, nor a homework out guy, it's been either sports or nothing. But I've just recently started going to physical therapy, and am thinking this will inspire me to working out going forward.

And I think I want to go to the gym to do so because I will not have the discipline to consistently workout at home.

Since my physical therapy is costing me a $70 copay, for very minimal oversight, I may turn in that direction pretty soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT