ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big winter storm next weekend (01/22-01/24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some yahoo on Facebook is claiming some models are showing another storm in a week. Truth or just internet BS.

Some yahoo on Facebook is claiming some models are showing another storm in a week. Truth or just internet BS.
Channel 7 guys mentioned that but they said as of now looks like it will go out to sea or be south of us.

Numbez needs a refresher course in measuring. ..heard on wctc that Metuchen reported 27 inches...most in the area...Bridgewater only 24...I think about 4 inches less in Belle Mead
Can't tell if you're tweaking me or not, since many times you've implied I exaggerate snow measurements. As you can see above, I went to great lengths to try to get an accurate measurement. I also posted the following on AmericanWx and at least one well-respected poster chimed in with agreement, plus on FB, locally, plenty of people in town are questioning the 27.7" report from Metuchen.

"So, this morning, I'm watching TWC and I see that someone else in Metuchen reported 27.7" (vs. my 22" measurement in the huge field) and it made it into their graphic. There's just no way that's correct, even if one were using a snowboard. I usually use a snowboard and wipe it clean every 6 hours, but I also always double check total snow depth and the amount of compaction is maybe an inch or so even in a 15-20" snowstorm. I use the snowboard, though, as I want the "official" measurement.

As I said earlier, I went to the big field yesterday, since I simply couldn't find a decent sized area that seemed reasonably consistent in snow depth (too much variability) and this would've still been an issue with a snowboard. If I had thought ahead, I could've used the board in the big field, but since I haven't had such a tough time measuring in my yard in the past, I didn't think of it. Anyway, it was a great storm and it doesn't matter that much, but I don't like to see what I think are measurement errors.

And Metuchen is one square mile, so I highly doubt there's a true 5" variability across town. One more thing: I just don't see Metuchen having as much snow as areas that were under that mega band for hours yesterday, like NYC, Essex/Union, Southern Morris and north/central Somerset and Hunterdon, where 27-31" were reported by many folks (like NYC, Newark, Millburn, Bridgewater, etc.). 22" makes more sense, since that band just missed us by 5-10 miles most of the time (mind you, it was still snowing hard, just not insanely)."

Also, nobody within 5-10 miles of us got over 24" - all of the Middlesex County reports had 20-24" reported, so yeah, I think my 22" report is correct for Metuchen.

Last edited:
Look familiar?

This is what a model has for next weekend.

Check out @easternPaWx's Tweet:
Most models showing this one going out to sea - at Day 5 for yesterday's storm, every model was showing a hit for this area - some small, some big, but no misses, if I recall correctly. Doesn't mean we won't get the storm here, but it's unlikely, I'd say.

One good thing about the 50 mph winds. I have 8-12 inches of snow in my driveway. People across the street have at least 4 ft drifts. Took me 10 minutes to dig a path from the garage doors to the street. On the negative side, my alleyway has 2 feet and 3 or so behind the house.

Can't tell if you're tweaking me or not, since many times you've implied I exaggerate snow measurements. As you can see above, I went to great lengths to try to get an accurate measurement. I also posted the following on AmericanWx and at least one well-respected poster chimed in with agreement, plus on FB, locally, plenty of people in town are questioning the 27.7" report from Metuchen.

"So, this morning, I'm watching TWC and I see that someone else in Metuchen reported 27.7" (vs. my 22" measurement in the huge field) and it made it into their graphic. There's just no way that's correct, even if one were using a snowboard. I usually use a snowboard and wipe it clean every 6 hours, but I also always double check total snow depth and the amount of compaction is maybe an inch or so even in a 15-20" snowstorm. I use the snowboard, though, as I want the "official" measurement.

As I said earlier, I went to the big field yesterday, since I simply couldn't find a decent sized area that seemed reasonably consistent in snow depth (too much variability) and this would've still been an issue with a snowboard. If I had thought ahead, I could've used the board in the big field, but since I haven't had such a tough time measuring in my yard in the past, I didn't think of it. Anyway, it was a great storm and it doesn't matter that much, but I don't like to see what I think are measurement errors.

And Metuchen is one square mile, so I highly doubt there's a true 5" variability across town. One more thing: I just don't see Metuchen having as much snow as areas that were under that mega band for hours yesterday, like NYC, Essex/Union, Southern Morris and north/central Somerset and Hunterdon, where 27-31" were reported by many folks (like NYC, Newark, Millburn, Bridgewater, etc.). 22" makes more sense, since that band just missed us by 5-10 miles most of the time (mind you, it was still snowing hard, just not insanely)."

I had estimated 28-30" in New Providence but we just took a yardstick outside to a non-drifted area and measured 31". As far as I'm concerned, that's official!

I had estimated 28-30" in New Providence but we just took a yardstick outside to a non-drifted area and measured 31". As far as I'm concerned, that's official!

I did not do an official measurement but since we live so close, I'll go with 31 inches. My driveway got cleared midday yesterday and we got substantial snow after that. My landscapes crew told me they think at least 2 1/2 feet in the area.

I got an e-mail from Rutgers saying that Rutgers-Newark wouldn't open until 1 p.m. (The other campuses are on a normal schedule.) I wonder if Newark's city government is having trouble plowing the streets, or if Newark got a lot more than New Brunswick did.

The pictures in the Asbury Park Press showed quite a bit in the usual spots--Brielle Road, East Main Street, etc. ABC News was on Fisk ave, where the reporter referred to flooding from "the bay." Glimmer Glass has been upgraded to a bay?
http://www.app.com/picture-gallery/...ty/2016/01/24/flooding-in-manasquan/79268694/

LOL. I guess when the flooding gets bad it looks like a bay. I'm a bit less than a block south of Brielle Rd. No water here but it got close. FIOS News? was there filming.

LOL. I guess when the flooding gets bad it looks like a bay. I'm a bit less than a block south of Brielle Rd. No water here but it got close. FIOS News? was there filming.

1000x667.jpeg.6e2c7a6a3314497a933ecfd55f01fac0.large

Cranford had a reported 27.4 inches at 6:45 last night. Was still snowing at midnight. Had to get 30+

far majority of models have next Fridays event out to sea. I think those media people who started posting those maps 8-9 days in advance are irresponsible and guilty of all the unnecessary hype that we rail against on these boards. There are almost a dozen models....and its winter....8-9 days away there will almost always be a storm shown on a map and it wasn't even a map from the big 3 models. Anyway just watch the next few days for any shifts in the models but really as of now nothing to see here yet

The media is treating this disaster as if it were entertainment.I guess IT IS if you have limousine service,monster SUV's,enclosed garages,etc.,but this is a horror show for most of the other 99 per cent.

I got an e-mail from Rutgers saying that Rutgers-Newark wouldn't open until 1 p.m. (The other campuses are on a normal schedule.) I wonder if Newark's city government is having trouble plowing the streets, or if Newark got a lot more than New Brunswick did.

Both. We had 28.1 inches as of the airport measurement. The roads are still bad. Most of the side streets are still complete snow fields. The drifts in some areas are several feet high. City gov is closed. I'm surprised not the campus for the full day.

Drove through Harrison to get to work this morning. What a complete mess. The normally 2-lane roads are down to 1, leading to cars that coming at each other head-on. Eventually one car has to give way and drive in reverse back out onto a street that is passable.

Might be time to edit the title of this thread again and remove 'Next Weekend'

The media is treating this disaster as if it were entertainment.I guess IT IS if you have limousine service,monster SUV's,enclosed garages,etc.,but this is a horror show for most of the other 99 per cent.

what was funny is knowing that all the New Yorkers and city folk that they showed joyous and frolicking in the snow and Times Square over the weekend are going to be bit with the hard dose of reality this week as they try to walk, park and drive their cars. Life is going to suck for a couple of weeks for them

These people live in the northeast. If they're not used to driving, walking, parking in snow, they shouldn't live here. I don't have a monster SUV, an enclosed garage..and made it to work just fine.

My street is nice and clear thanks to all of us out there with our snowblowers yesterday clearing all the parking spaces (as well as the street itself and the sidewalks of course). Snowblowers are great!

Had to throw some salt on the sidewalk this morning as I left - was a bit icy.

Both. We had 28.1 inches as of the airport measurement. The roads are still bad. Most of the side streets are still complete snow fields. The drifts in some areas are several feet high. City gov is closed. I'm surprised not the campus for the full day.

I just got an e-mail that Rutgers-Newark will be closed all day. So you were prescient.

what was funny is knowing that all the New Yorkers and city folk that they showed joyous and frolicking in the snow and Times Square over the weekend are going to be bit with the hard dose of reality this week as they try to walk, park and drive their cars. Life is going to suck for a couple of weeks for them

And they're reporting the death toll as over 30 now.
One older woman died in her car parked at a Burger King in Hackensack. She had become too scared to drive home in the storm.

My guess is that most of those city folk live in Manhattan (it's hard to see how they would have gotten to Central Park or Times Square from elsewhere at the height of the storm), and Manhattanites often do not use or even own cars because of how congested Manhattan is and how difficult it is to park a vehicle in Manhattan. So they may not be severely affected.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Yes, how dare people try to make the best of a situation and enjoy something over which they have absolutely no control. They should have instead sat inside their homes and stared out the window cursing the snow, mourning those who died because of the storm while stressing over future parking and commuting issues. You guys are too much.

Yes, how dare people try to make the best of a situation and enjoy something over which they have absolutely no control.

That's a hell of a way to characterize what was going on here. They were cheerleading for the storm....rooting for a situation that was gonna be a big problem for many others....not "making the best of it". And frankly I don't understand why you aren't upset with them for getting a boner as the disaster approached.
"Make the best".....too funny.

That's a hell of a way to characterize what was going on here. They were cheerleading for the storm....rooting for a situation that was gonna be a big problem for many others....not "making the best of it". And frankly I don't understand why you aren't upset with them for getting a boner as the disaster approached.
"Make the best".....too funny.

SO the #$% what? Their cheerleading had exactly no impact on what actually happened. Some people like snow. Skiers, snowmobilers, kids that want a snow day, etc are supposed to root against the storm?

The reason that it's a "disaster" is because NJ is ill prepared for it, despite all the "the snowy Northeast" rhetoric. So if you're that worried about it, stop being all butthurt at regular ol folks that like snow and start contacting your politicians and opening your wallet.

Places that really get snow deal with this type of storm all the time and they do it quite efficiently. Roads would have been clear and black within a few hours of snow stopping, definitely by Sunday morning. Virtually no such thing as snow days, either. NJ compares to those places the way the Carolinas compare to NJ.

SO the #$% what? Their cheerleading had exactly no impact on what actually happened. Some people like snow. Skiers, snowmobilers, kids that want a snow day, etc are supposed to root against the storm?

The reason that it's a "disaster" is because NJ is ill prepared for it, despite all the "the snowy Northeast" rhetoric. So if you're that worried about it, stop being all butthurt at regular ol folks that like snow and start contacting your politicians and opening your wallet.

Places that really get snow deal with this type of storm all the time and they do it quite efficiently. Roads would have been clear and black within a few hours of snow stopping, definitely by Sunday morning. Virtually no such thing as snow days, either. NJ compares to those places the way the Carolinas compare to NJ.

Exactly. But not all of NJ is ill prepared. Much more prepared out in the hills of Morris county where we get our share of big snows. Out in Western Morris county we totaled between 25 and 30" of snow. By Sunday morning the roads were fine. My kid had a 9:30 AM lacrosse game on Sunday at an indoor facility in central Morris county. All games from 9:30 AM on were played. The facilty was plowed out and parking was no issue. There were a few more no-shows than usual, but most of the kids were there and the games went on. Very few school closings around here either today. Very little difference from a normal Monday.

Reactions: FanuSanu52

I disagree.

Two points:

First, the real "damage" has nothing to do with the actual snow, but rather the coastal flooding.

Second, the overwhelming majority of places that routinely get 24"+ of snow from single storms on a regular basis don't have anywhere near the population density of this region. They don't have 1/10 of the road mileage, they don't have anywhere near as many people who rely upon various services that are impacted by the weather.

Back in the day we used to have a NORAD radar site in the Sierras. It wasn't uncommon to see a foot of snow overnight. It wasn't uncommon for the personnel stationed there to have to shovel snow off of the radome after it drifted over the building - which was 60' tall.

Bot nobody actually lived there.

Solid first point, but no one was rooting for coastal flooding. That's a side effect of large storms in general (and of living that close to the coast).

The second point might be applicable to some of the densest parts of NYC and NE Jersey, but it doesn't explain away the discrepancy. There are major cities and population centers that get way more snow than NJ and deal with it way more efficiently: Denver/Front Range and Salt Lake City/Wasatch Front are two that I'm familiar with, and I'm sure our conference mates from the Midwest could cite a few others.

Solid first point, but no one was rooting for coastal flooding. That's a side effect of large storms in general (and of living that close to the coast).

The second point might be applicable to some of the densest parts of NYC and NE Jersey, but it doesn't explain away the discrepancy. There are major cities and population centers that get way more snow than NJ and deal with it way more efficiently: Denver/Front Range and Salt Lake City/Wasatch Front are two that I'm familiar with, and I'm sure our conference mates from the Midwest could cite a few others.

Denver and Salt lake get a fair amount of snow, but I'd be interested in knowing how often they get 24-30" in a 24 hour period. We have a pretty large data center services support group in Salt Lake and I can tell you for true that they got a 12" storm last month and none of them went into the office for 2 days - everybody worked from home.

And yeah, nobody was rooting for flooding. Hell, our very own Governor has twice (so far) denied that it even happened. One more time and he'll be eligible for the role of Honorary Apostle.

far majority of models have next Fridays event out to sea. I think those media people who started posting those maps 8-9 days in advance are irresponsible and guilty of all the unnecessary hype that we rail against on these boards. There are almost a dozen models....and its winter....8-9 days away there will almost always be a storm shown on a map and it wasn't even a map from the big 3 models. Anyway just watch the next few days for any shifts in the models but really as of now nothing to see here yet

None of today's 12Z models showed a hit for this area. A few were moderately near misses, but most were huge misses, so since we're only 4 days out, I'd consider this threat 99% dead. If we don't see any movement northward by tomorrow, it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT