ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big winter storm next weekend (01/22-01/24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on a more positive note, the snowmelt the past two days has been simply divine....temps have overperformed and grassy areas are down less than half of what he got during the storm. Mild temps ahead for the weekend and above normal for at least the first part of this week, we will start seeing grass soon

What type of person cheers for snowmelt? What is wrong with you? Dont you realize snowmelt freezes at night and causes black ice resulting in people dying? Its just sick.

Who cares which is worse ?
Someone cheerleading for a heat wave of 100 degrees is just as dumb as someone cheerleading for a massive snowstorm. The only difference is NO ONE IS CHEERLEADING FOR A HEAT WAVE.
I must have missed it. When exactly did anyone here post anything like "Woo Hoo ! Bring on the Heat. I can't wait for those 100 degree days...and keep 'em coming" ?
The answer is NO ONE DID. Just another weakass attempt to justify cheerleading for a tragedy like we just had. Very disappointing.

Seriously? You haven't seen bac pining for the heat and reveling in it when it comes? Plenty of people love the heat and I couldn't care less (other than not personally liking the heat). Cheerleading for a specific weather type has no bearing on the outcome and does not mean that person is "cheerleading" for the bad side effects of whatever weather is desired. I still can't believe we're even having this conversation.

Reactions: mildone
Cool animation of the blizzard on radar as it evolved from the south til it finally hit us.

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href="/NWSWPC/videos/vb.158734987526759/1013707638696152/?type=3"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite=""><a href="">Animation of the historic East Coast winter storm (Jan. 22-24,...</a><p>This is an animation of GOES-East infrared, radar, WPC surface analyses and observations, and lightning data for the historic major winter storm that has been impacting a large portion of the eastern U.S.Latest WPC Storm Summary: http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc2.html</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/NWSWPC/">NOAA NWS Weather Prediction Center</a> on Sunday, January 24, 2016</blockquote></div></div>

on a more positive note, the snowmelt the past two days has been simply divine....temps have overperformed and grassy areas are down less than half of what he got during the storm. Mild temps ahead for the weekend and above normal for at least the first part of this week, we will start seeing grass soon

12592546_1030996206943965_6481063400518832212_n.jpg

Reactions: bac2therac
$3 billion in damage from Jonas

they found a 64 year old woman in Mahwah buried in the snow because she had a heart attack and the snowpiled up on her

the comment you made about people were going to have a heart attack anyhow is incredibly flippant
This is starting to get a little nuts. People die from heart attacks every day. Sometimes it's because of snow. Sometimes it's walking the dog. Should we not like dogs because people have heart attacks walking them?

Nobody here is happy that anybody died from the storm. Nobody here is happy that anybody died walking their dogs. But we're not going to stop having fun, making jokes, enjoying life because people die from stuff.

Reactions: Plum Street
This is starting to get a little nuts. People die from heart attacks every day. Sometimes it's because of snow. Sometimes it's walking the dog. Should we not like dogs because people have heart attacks walking them?

Nobody here is happy that anybody died from the storm. Nobody here is happy that anybody died walking their dogs. But we're not going to stop having fun, making jokes, enjoying life because people die from stuff.

is it okay when deaths are from tornadoes or hurricanes...because there would a different standard if someone on this board started saying oh well about a death during Sandy

Except no one said that. And tornadoes and hurricanes are more in the range of legitimate disasters that present damage and devastation with little direct, tangible benefit. Many people like snow, and it is a functional part of the environment. Many places deal with big snowstorms all of the time - it's a way of life, not a "tragedy" or "disaster" on par with a major hurricane or tornado.

And regardless what anyone thinks, he has absolutely zero control over what happens with the snow, so who cares? The fact that you perpetuating such absolute nonsense is pathetic. Maybe we should blame you the next time you get involved with weather prediction - because, as one of our resident weather tards, you should have helped prevent it instead of just commenting.

But, yeah, other than that you're exactly right. It's okay to root for the heat because you like it, but not okay to wish for snow because you don't. Smart stuff. o_O:rolleyes:

is it okay when deaths are from tornadoes or hurricanes...because there would a different standard if someone on this board started saying oh well about a death during Sandy
It's never okay, in the general sense, that people die from any causes (except those people that deserve to die, e.g. ISIS members). I don't see anybody here is saying it is okay.

I think the question is how should we handle the fact that people die from snowstorms. Should we hate snowstorms? Will that help? Should we mope about? I mean, people die from more causes than can be easily listed here every day. Should we never speak another un-solemn word about anything for fear of being judged glib about it?

What about wishing for snow? That must be bad because people die from snow, right? Except, we can wish all we want and it's not going to change if it snows or not (so far as I know). I would think that everybody here that wishes for snow (like me) also implicitly wishes that no harm come to anybody due to the snow we wish for.

Of course, wishes are meaningless. It will or won't snow regardless of what we wish. People will or won't die from snow regardless of what we wish.

RU848789:
"Seriously? You haven't seen bac pining for the heat and reveling in it when it comes?"

No. I haven't seen anyone here cheering on the oppressive heat because it gives them some pleasure....even though it may be bad news for lots of others. If bac did that...he would be what I believe is called a hypocrite.

"Cheerleading for a specific weather type has no bearing on the outcome and does not mean that person is "cheerleading" for the bad side effects of whatever weather is desired. "

Again with this ? Why do you feel the need to keep reminding everyone that the cheerleading has no bearing on the pending storm ? Do you really think anyone believes it does, Capt. Obvious ?
It's just bad form...poor taste to be cheering on an event that, while giving you some small pleasure, is gonna have such a negative impact on so many others.
I can't believe I have to explain this to you, RU848789.

RU848789:
"Seriously? You haven't seen bac pining for the heat and reveling in it when it comes?"

No. I haven't seen anyone here cheering on the oppressive heat because it gives them some pleasure....even though it may be bad news for lots of others. If bac did that...he would be what I believe is called a hypocrite.

"Cheerleading for a specific weather type has no bearing on the outcome and does not mean that person is "cheerleading" for the bad side effects of whatever weather is desired. "

Again with this ? Why do you feel the need to keep reminding everyone that the cheerleading has no bearing on the pending storm ? Do you really think anyone believes it does, Capt. Obvious ?
It's just bad form...poor taste to be cheering on an event that, while giving you some small pleasure, is gonna have such a negative impact on so many others.

Probably because thought police officers like you keep showing up to complain about it, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the entire idea of "cheerleading a storm" is utterly meaningless. If you went away, like I suggested, no one would be here stressing the very obvious facts that you still show no mastery of.

Probably because thought police officers like you keep showing up to complain about it, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the entire idea of "cheerleading a storm" is utterly meaningless. If you went away, like I suggested, no one would be here stressing the very obvious facts that you still show no mastery of.
Again...your opinion to me...[poop][poop][poop][poop][poop][poop][poop]

RU848789:

So people shouldn't ever be excited to buy and drive a car? I mean, cars kill way more people than storms do in this country. It's in poor taste to celebrate a new car when odds are that several people within a half mile radius of most people in central or north Jersey will have lost loved ones to auto accidents.

And people can actually control their purchase and use of a car. Unlike the weather.

So people shouldn't ever be excited to buy and drive a car? I mean, cars kill way more people than storms do in this country. It's in poor taste to celebrate a new car when odds are that several people within a half mile radius of most people in central or north Jersey will have lost loved ones to auto accidents.

And people can actually control their purchase and use of a car. Unlike the weather.

Huh ?
Being excited about your new car is exactly like being excited about a pending blizzard ?
No. I don't get that comparison at all.

Amen. At least change the title for this one so I don't keep thinking we're having another storm.

Oh my god! I just realized that I've been a cruel, heartless bastage: I'm resigning from the muscle car boards I moderate and will never, ever post there again!

Huh ?
Being excited about your new car is exactly like being excited about a pending blizzard ?
No. I don't get that comparison at all.
You said it's in poor form, bad taste to cheer on something that, while giving some small pleasure, has a negative impact on so many others. Driving a new car gives some a small pleasure. Driving cars takes far more lives than do storms in this country. So it seems you'd expect new car buyers to curb their enthusiasm, their pleasure, over obtaining a new one.

Now that I think about it, discovering a new partner, with whom one might wind up having sex, which gives some people some small pleasure, but causes people to have heart attacks and contract diseases, should be a time for somber reflection and shared grief. How thoughtless of people to be cheered and joyous at the start of any new relationship knowing how many people have suffered in such an event.

You said it's in poor form, bad taste to cheer on something that, while giving some small pleasure, has a negative impact on so many others. Driving a new car gives some a small pleasure. Driving cars takes far more lives than do storms in this country. So it seems you'd expect new car buyers to curb their enthusiasm, their pleasure, over obtaining a new one.

Now that I think about it, discovering a new partner, with whom one might wind up having sex, which gives some people some small pleasure, but causes people to have heart attacks and contract diseases, should be a time for somber reflection and shared grief. How thoughtless of people to be cheered and joyous at the start of any new relationship knowing how many people have suffered in such an event.

Your analogy is weak. I've purchased any number of new cars...and some used ones. Never once did said purchases result in significant damage to anyone.
What are the odds on that happening with a major snow storm ? Besides, I needed those cars for transportation to work. Who but a numbnuts needs a major snow storm ?
And if you're having "some small pleasure" with a new partner you're doing it all wrong.

You said it's in poor form, bad taste to cheer on something that, while giving some small pleasure, has a negative impact on so many others. Driving a new car gives some a small pleasure. Driving cars like an effing lunatic takes far more lives than do storms in this country. So it seems you'd expect new car buyers to curb their enthusiasm, their pleasure, over obtaining a new one.

Now that I think about it, discovering a new partner, with whom one might wind up having sex, which gives some people some small pleasure (certainly me, but probably not her, because, well, because sheep), but causes people to have heart attacks and contract diseases, should be a time for somber reflection and shared grief. How thoughtless of people to be cheered and joyous at the start of any new relationship knowing how many people have suffered in such an event.

FIFY :>)

And if you're having "some small pleasure" with a new partner you're doing it all wrong.
I was trying to be coolly understated about things. Their pleasure is immense. Monumental. Epic even. If we're doing it right, it's not about our pleasure. Our pleasure should be secondary, tertiary or even quaternary.

Your analogy is weak. I've purchased any number of new cars...and some used ones. Never once did said purchases result in significant damage to anyone.
What are the odds on that happening with a major snow storm ? Besides, I needed those cars for transportation to work. Who but a numbnuts needs a major snow storm ?
Somebody's being disingenuous. My analogy is perfect. There are dangers in the world. Snowstorms are dangerous. Cars are dangerous. Hookers and blow are dangerous. Life is short, and it's dangerous.

We should find excitement where we can, take joy in what we can, live life to the fullest because you never know if any given day will be your last.

I was trying to be coolly understated about things. Their pleasure is immense. Monumental. Epic even. If we're doing it right, it's not about our pleasure. Our pleasure should be secondary, tertiary or even quaternary.

Somebody's being disingenuous. My analogy is perfect. There are dangers in the world. 7Snowstorms are dangerous. Cars are dangerous. Hookers and blow are dangerous. Life is short, and it's dangerous.

We should find excitement where we can, take joy in what we can, live life to the fullest because you never know if any given day will be your last.
H&B are not dangerous!!

Somebody's being disingenuous. My analogy is perfect. There are dangers in the world. Snowstorms are dangerous. Cars are dangerous. Hookers and blow are dangerous. Life is short, and it's dangerous.

Nope. Your analogy blows.
Cars vs. Blizzards.....not seeing it.
But thanks for playing.

Had Chinese food today, eh ?
My fortune cookie said "He who get jollies while oblivious to others suffering is wong."

Had Chinese food today, eh ?
My fortune cookie said "He who get jollies while oblivious to others suffering is wong."
Does Wong know about this? How wong is it that I find your fortune cookie hilarious?

Thought it was worth at least one last post on this storm. The preliminary NESIS (northeast snowstorm impact scale) ranking of 7.66 would make this storm the #6 storm, all-time, for the northeast, behind the March 93 Superstorm and the Jan-96 blizzard, which are the only "Category 5" storms in recorded history, and three other Cat 4 storms (Feb-2003, Mar-1888, and Feb-1899).

1 12–14 Mar 1993 12.52 5 Extreme
2 6–8 Jan 1996 11.54 5 Extreme
3 15–18 Feb 2003 8.91 4 Crippling
4 11–14 Mar 1888 8.34 4 Crippling
5 11–14 Feb 1899 8.11 4 Crippling
6 2–5 Mar 1960 7.63 4 Crippling
7 10–12 Feb 1983 6.28 4 Crippling
8 5–7 Feb 1978 6.25 4 Crippling
9 2–5 Feb 1961 6.24 4 Crippling

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/docs/kocin-and-uccellini-2004.pdf

Certainly an historic snowstorm. All-time snowfall records were broken in Baltimore (29.3”), Newark (28.1”), NYC-JFK (30.3”), NYC-LGA (27.9”), Harrisburg, PA (30.2”), Allentown, PA (32”) and Central Park fell 0.1” short of its all-time record with 26.8” (vs. Feb 2006), as they bungled the measurement: they had 26.8” at 7 pm and many Manhattanites said at least 0.2-03” fell after that (radar also looked like it), but it wasn’t added in. DC (Dulles, not technically in DC) had its second biggest snowfall ever (29.3”) and Philly had its 4th largest ever (22.4”).

As I said earlier, we got 22” at our house in Metuchen, as we just missed out on the mega-deformation band that sat for several hours over NYC to Essex/Union to southern Morris to north/central Somerset and Hunterdon and into the Lehigh Valley. Also, note that 33" fell in Morris Plains, the most reported in NJ and just 2” shy of the all-time state record of 35” set in Jan-96 in Whitehouse Station.

This also means that 6 of the 9 largest snowstorms in NYC history have occurred during the last 20 years vs. the 147 year period of record for Central Park. So if it feels like we've had a lot more historic snowstorms in the last 20 years, it's because we have, lol.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/footplussnow.html

20160122-20160124-7.66.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT