ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Could the snow drought end next weekend (1/7)? Maybe...

Solid snow for about an hour and a half here in Newark, but very little accumulation. Still coming down. And it's very cold.

The snow starting around 2 pm definitely hurt initial accumulations, as the indirect sunlight still has an effect even in early January; originally it looked like a post sunset start. Snowing close to heavily now, but the sleet looks like it's only 20 miles S of me and the rain is encroaching from the SE, so we may only have another hour or so for snow, which would probably mean 1" at most.
Them I suggest you go out and make your snow angel before the turnover.

• Haha
Reactions: Section124
Heavy snow now in East Brunswick.Grass and driveways covered with light coating.Roads starting to get covered.Still hoping I won't need to use snow blower.

Snowing moderately to heavily at times here and the temp has dropped to 33F. We have 1/2" of snow on the board (in the shade) and on the grass with 1/4" on top of the cars and the driveway in the front yard (which gets indirect sunlight, which won't be an issue shortly); road in front of our house now covered too. Maybe another hour of snow before either the rain from our SE or the sleet from our SW get here.

Still light snow up here, just took a shot of it - the wood I rescued is at the bottom:

vpEfJIN.jpg

Still snowing fairly hard at 4:20 in Pway. Road, driveway, tennis court fully covered with snow. Can still see top of grass but it’s mostly covered too.

As of 4:30 pm, 33F and snowing moderately to heavily at times with 1" on the ground and 1/2-3/4" on paved surfaces. However, reports of sleet in NB, so we might not get much more We'll see, since I'll always remember 3/1/19, when the sleet line stopped at the Raritan for hours, giving us ~5" of snow and 1-2" of snow/sleet then rain in NB - but this line doesn't look like it's stopping, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
Light to moderate snow here for about 3 hours now. Cars, grass, and parking lots are covered.

Those poor kids are desperate for a sledding hill and any snow ! I remember those days many years back so good on them for reading this thread and being ready to hit it quick and get their runs in!

Remember one year as a kid, must have been a big rain year. The stream in back of my folks' house froze and the ice covered over all the boulders and rocks so it was basically a short natural luge track. Sledding without snow ...or a sled.

What a blast. Only that one year, though. Outside that, the water would freeze but was never close to high enough to cover the rocks.

Looks like that mixing line has stalled just to our south (like maybe 2-3 miles south) for now; still snowing moderately here at 33F.

Remember one year as a kid, must have been a big rain year. The stream in back of my folks' house froze and the ice covered over all the boulders and rocks so it was basically a short natural luge track. Sledding without snow ...or a sled.

What a blast. Only that one year, though. Outside that, the water would freeze but was never close to high enough to cover the rocks.
I lived next to a church so we used the plowed snow hills from their lot for small runs to sled down on and build igloos in. All of which sucked but were awesome in the 80s! Never forget the excitement of snow for the kids is what is wholesome and great. Ok sorry for that tangent

As of 4:30 pm, 33F and snowing moderately to heavily at times with 1" on the ground and 1/2-3/4" on paved surfaces. However, reports of sleet in NB, so we might not get much more We'll see, since I'll always remember 3/1/19, when the sleet line stopped at the Raritan for hours, giving us ~5" of snow and 1-2" of snow/sleet then rain in NB - but this line doesn't look like it's stopping, lol.
As of 5:00 pm, we have 1.25" at 33F and we've seen a miracle, lol, as the mix/sleet line stalled literally 1-2 miles south of us and it's still snowing moderately here, but I have to think that's almost over...

Just got back in and it’s coming down steadily in No. Plfd. Roads looked kind of crappy - I was walking back from church not driving since it’s down the block.

Here's my snow globe miracle that I'm sure @Knight Shift will appreciate. According to the dual-pol radar, below, the sleet line has collapsed to our SW below the Raritan, while the other radar shows that the rain/snow line has stalled about 5 miles to our SE. Still snowing with no idea for how much longer, but loving it!

VYJicm1.png

cAiQrMP.png

Reactions: Knight Shift

One of my craziest memories as a kid was sledding on a hill that started at the side of a local street and dropped maybe 20-30' on an empty lot over 150' before hitting the tree line, so we'd go down full bore, but then have to either pull up or find a couple of the trails through the trees - more than a few bumps, bruises and some blood.

But the crazy part was we used to also throw snowballs at cars going by (25 mph residential street) and then hop on our sleds for our getaway. Most people just kept going, but this one dude got so angry at my friend (we were all about 11-12), who was fearless and stood there daring the guy to get out of his car to chase him - and he did, catching my friend, putting him into his car and driving him back to my friend's house, where his mother thanked the man, then beat the living piss out of her son (he had some serious welts as she used a metal hairbrush). All of that would likely never happen today...

Reactions: fsg2 and MulletCork
Still snowing moderately as of 5:30 pm and we're up to 1.5" at a steady 33F. Sleet and rain still look like they're only ~5 miles S and SE of us.

Here's my snow globe miracle that I'm sure @Knight Shift will appreciate. According to the dual-pol radar, below, the sleet line has collapsed to our SW below the Raritan, while the other radar shows that the rain/snow line has stalled about 5 miles to our SE. Still snowing with no idea for how much longer, but loving it!

VYJicm1.png

cAiQrMP.png

Not accurate as its raining here

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Thats in the mountain area...rain here down below

Not many surprises overall with this storm
Probably half of Middlesex County with well over 1" so far is a big surprise relative to the NWS forecast of nada to <1". And another guy in Hillsborough a little north of you is reporting snow, but those radars can certainly be inaccurate.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Probably half of Middlesex County with well over 1" so far is a big surprise relative to the NWS forecast of nada to <1". And another guy in Hillsborough a little north of you is reporting snow, but those radars can certainly be inaccurate.

The general forecast of coating to 2 is verifying...at least that what I called..so not really a surprise

Easy drive to East Brunswick. Barely a dusting here. Heard from a good source only rain in Hillsborough near the Sourland Mountains.
yeah thats not happening hoss. battle line of rain and snow. aint alot of snow but roads are sloppy. stay safe!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT