ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Could the snow drought end next weekend (1/7)? Maybe...

As of 6:30 pm, it's been snowing moderately for the last hour at 33F and we only got another 1/4", which I think means we had some compaction as the snow is fairly wet, so we're up to 1.75" right now and my 2" prediction looks very doable.
So, as of 7:00 pm we had officially changed to rain and the temp was up to 34F and my last measurement was 2.0" on the nose, which was my exact guesstimate for the storm (even broken clocks, lol). The last hour or two the snow was quite wet, but at least it stayed snow longer than most expected.

The interesting thing was that I went out for a quick spin around 6:35 pm to see the roads and pick up takeout (Portuguese BBQ, yum) and the residential streets in Metuchen were all fully snow covered and treacherous, while the county/state type roads (531/501 and 27) were partially covered/slushy and somewhat slick, and the major roads like 1 and 287 were just wet. Many local reports in the area of accidents, as I'm guessing people maybe forgot how to drive in the snow, so be careful on the roads.

Also, around 6:50 pm I noticed it started sounding like rain on my windshield even though it was still snowing and 10 minutes later it was all rain. Oh well. But I'm ecstatic we even got 2" when so many, including the NWS, were predicting little to no snow for the 95 corridor, including in our area. Hope there's some left tomorrow (I think there will be).

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Do I need to shovel this crap tonight?
Or can it wait until the morning?
Depends where you are. I'm not shoveling our 2" of heavy wet snow, since some will melt in the rain and more will melt tomorrow with temps in the mid/upper 30s, plus it won't freeze overnight - that's the main thing for me. If you're getting 4+" you might want to shovel.

Reactions: NickRU714
Still coming down steadily here. Just stepped out and measured it (8:20 PM), we're at 3 and 3/4 inches as of now.

Reactions: thegock
Weird cherry pick..makes you look bad
You and other half dozen cliquettes just got destroyed. Maybe recruit a few dozen more wanna-be meanies. Safety in numbers.

Oops, sorry. Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings by saying “numbers”. Rubbed salt in the wound, I did.

The farther away you get from the coast the more it's snow and the longer before the change over.

Who said rain...i said coating to 2 inches central jersey

Overwhelmingly this thread said we would get some snow before changeover to rain

You said rain at the beginning of this thread.

All good though, my call seems to be too low as I didn’t thing south of 78 would get much of anything…oops!

Drove down route 1 in central Jersey and it’s all rain now. Sometimes moderate somtimes heavy. Roads are just wet with slushy patches encroaching the left lane in spots. Mainly just look out for the big puddles in either external lane. Other than that not too bad, roads in my development were more slushy but manageable.

Depends where you are. I'm not shoveling our 2" of heavy wet snow, since some will melt in the rain and more will melt tomorrow with temps in the mid/upper 30s, plus it won't freeze overnight - that's the main thing for me. If you're getting 4+" you might want to shovel.

How much do you have

The ratio is low so there is alot more liquid in 2 inchesof snow...if you have 4 its more like 6-7 in a normal storm

Western Union County near Morris County line.
Just above 78.

4" and I should shovel?
I'm going to estimate there is 3.75" in that case and consider it a tomorrow problem.

Honestly its not much.
The block on the side of driveway is still visible.
Not over the curb on the street.

Currently have 4½ inches down:

fxK4Veq.jpg

Western Union County near Morris County line.
Just above 78.

4" and I should shovel?
I'm going to estimate there is 3.75" in that case and consider it a tomorrow problem.

Honestly its not much.
The block on the side of driveway is still visible.
Not over the curb on the street.

I would...those 4 inches more like 6 and rain wont wash it away

• Sad
Reactions: NickRU714
You said rain at the beginning of this thread.

All good though, my call seems to be too low as I didn’t thing south of 78 would get much of anything…oops!

No..this was my call from yesterday

my second call would downgrade central jersey to a coating to 2 inches to cover any low end/high end possibilities...and the higher amounts you will find on grassy colder surfaces. Coast not even sure they see any accumulating snow. For Central Jersey proper should not really be that much of an issue on any main roads which get treated will figure to be treated and then the turn to rain will wash any slushiness away eventually.

once you get north of 78 you could get in the 2-5 inch amounts but no guarantee on those high amounts and northwest jersey still inline for 4-8 inches

You and other half dozen cliquettes just got destroyed. Maybe recruit a few dozen more wanna-be meanies. Safety in numbers.

Oops, sorry. Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings by saying “numbers”. Rubbed salt in the wound, I did.

Nah im fine with my call..did overperform on grassy surfaces some places

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
No..this was my call from yesterday

my second call would downgrade central jersey to a coating to 2 inches to cover any low end/high end possibilities...and the higher amounts you will find on grassy colder surfaces. Coast not even sure they see any accumulating snow. For Central Jersey proper should not really be that much of an issue on any main roads which get treated will figure to be treated and then the turn to rain will wash any slushiness away eventually.

once you get north of 78 you could get in the 2-5 inch amounts but no guarantee on those high amounts and northwest jersey still inline for 4-8 inches

Yup your call was pretty good from yesterday…i was referring to your wishcast post from Monday.

Then why are you misgendering..it would get you fired at most jobs
Oh golly, stop being such a drama queen. It's not misgendering at all. It was a reference to Mean Girls. You all have been called the Mean Girls cast before, but you are all too giddy laughing at your shitty trolling of #s to notice. Meanwhile, everyone else is laughing at you.

So, as of 7:00 pm we had officially changed to rain and the temp was up to 34F and my last measurement was 2.0" on the nose, which was my exact guesstimate for the storm (even broken clocks, lol). The last hour or two the snow was quite wet, but at least it stayed snow longer than most expected.

The interesting thing was that I went out for a quick spin around 6:35 pm to see the roads and pick up takeout (Portuguese BBQ, yum) and the residential streets in Metuchen were all fully snow covered and treacherous, while the county/state type roads (531/501 and 27) were partially covered/slushy and somewhat slick, and the major roads like 1 and 287 were just wet. Many local reports in the area of accidents, as I'm guessing people maybe forgot how to drive in the snow, so be careful on the roads.

Also, around 6:50 pm I noticed it started sounding like rain on my windshield even though it was still snowing and 10 minutes later it was all rain. Oh well. But I'm ecstatic we even got 2" when so many, including the NWS, were predicting little to no snow for the 95 corridor, including in our area. Hope there's some left tomorrow (I think there will be).
What is your Portuguese BBQ in your area? Elizabeth had some good ones and my local is up here in Clifton. My brother used to live by St Joe’s but never mentioned one.

We have done some good Portuguese BBQ tailgates for football games.

Oh golly, stop being such a drama queen. It's not misgendering at all. It was a reference to Mean Girls. You all have been called the Mean Girls cast before, but you are all too giddy laughing at your shitty trolling of #s to notice. Meanwhile, everyone else is laughing at you.

Never saw it

Flemington was spot on. Still slowly coming down and we have about 2-3 so far. Maybe a tad more.

Numbers, you don't have to apologize for a damn thing to anyone. I've said it before and i'll say it again to every single person that ever steps foot in a rutgers rivals forum...............if you don't like what numbers has to say regarding the weather.......STOP OPENING THE POSTS IN THE FIRST PLACE......If you feel he is overly pro snow and it you know that (in your mind) going in, then......simply.....stop......opening......his.......damn......weather......threads! I personally like his take on the weather. And even if he takes a pro snow stance, he absolutely gives other perspectives on how something may not happen snow wise......and does a particularly good job of referencing where he gets much of the information. Numbers, keep doing your thing.....I like your weather threads...........everyone else who is annoyed........ummmm, please stay out!
Thanks, appreciate the props...

Reactions: Goku
Looks like it's all wrapped up up here. Just did a final measurement, topped out at 5½ inches, although it might have been a little more as it's already packing down. Temps are holding steady at 30° the last couple of hours.

Reactions: RU848789
Akshually, worked on this stuff at RU. LMK if you need a technical dictionary or an interpreter. Me and @RU848789 can draw pictures for you:

The effect of magnetic fields to 15T on the electrical resistance (R) of Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O superconductors has been measured at precise temperatures during the transition to the superconducting state. The results show that the temperature at which the externally-applied magnetic field causes a divergence of resistance (R) as a function of inverse temperature is approximately at the same temperature where the positive Hall coefficient begins its steep descent to zero. At slightly higher temperature the Hall coefficient shows a singularity peak akin to a delta function. Internal electric field calculations show that the structure of the superconducting oxides, having more than a single building block polyhedron, gives rise to strong electrostatic fields in the unit cell which in turn causes charge separation or polarization. The charge separation is in accord with the importance of high oxidation states of the multivalence cations and suggests the use of high oxygen overpressure during processing. The magnitude of Tc scales closely with the number of bound holes (associated with the charge transfer excitations) per unit cell. Extensive computer calculations using this model indicate attractive pairing of electrons at inter-electron separations of about 10–15A.

The perovskite structure in Pb(Zn1/3Nb2/3)O3 can be stabilized by the addition of Pb(Ni1/3Nb2/3)O3 and PbTiO3.Pb(Ni1/3Nb2/3)O3 assists in lowering the sintering temperature and shifting the Curie temperature of ceramics while PbTiO3 helps to optimize the dielectric properties. The phase stability and dielectric properties of several compositions in the Pb(Zn1/3Nb2/3)O3-Pb(Ni1/3Nb2/3)O3-PbTiO3 ternary relaxor ferroelectric system were investigated for possible capacitor applications. The effect of calcining and sintering temperature on the stability of perovskite phase in PZN rich compositions was studied extensively as a function of composition. The boundary line separating perovskite and mixed phases was determined for compositions near PZN. Several compositions can be sintered below 1050°C. The dielectric properties of compositions near the mixed phase boundary showed strong dependence on the percentage of pyrochlore phase. Compositions with a dielectric constant of 12.500 at room temperature have been identified which meet Z5T and Y5U specifications for dielectric constant and tan δ
Sounds like interesting work, but I'll admit being confused: is this work you did at RU or something from a patent case you work/worked on? Are superconductors typically created from solid state crystallization or are solvents/gels involved? Very different crystallizing inorganic salt structures vs. the organic structures I spent decades crystallizing from various solvents.

What is your Portuguese BBQ in your area? Elizabeth had some good ones and my local is up here in Clifton. My brother used to live by St Joe’s but never mentioned one.

We have done some good Portuguese BBQ tailgates for football games.
We used to have to travel for Portuguese BBQ, but Flame and Flavor opened up in Metuchen a few years ago and it's pretty good (not the best ever but I'll take it being 2 minutes from our house, plus it's owned by friends of my wife, so we always get treated well there).

some totals

...Hunterdon County...
Whitehouse Station 4.5 in 0822 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
High Bridge 4.4 in 0745 PM 01/06 Public
1 SW Three Bridges 3.4 in 0800 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Readington Twp 3.2 in 0730 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Flemington 2.5 in 0807 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Bartles Corners 2.0 in 0715 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter

...Mercer County...
Woodsville 2.0 in 0850 PM 01/06 Public
Trenton Mercer Airport 1.0 in 0700 PM 01/06 ASOS

...Middlesex County...
North Brunswick 2.0 in 1000 PM 01/06 Public
Metuchen 2.0 in 0700 PM 01/06 Public

...Morris County...
Lake Hopatcong 6.0 in 0914 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Chester 5.0 in 0810 PM 01/06 Public
1 WNW Long Valley 5.0 in 0805 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
1 SSW Brookside 4.8 in 1040 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Randolph 4.7 in 0930 PM 01/06 Cocorahs
Butler 4.0 in 0920 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Montville 3.4 in 0900 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Chatham 3.0 in 0805 PM 01/06 Public

...Somerset County...
3 SSE Far Hills 5.0 in 1130 PM 01/06 Public
Warren 4.5 in 0950 PM 01/06 Public
Bernardsville 4.0 in 0739 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Green Brook Twp 3.0 in 0905 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
3 NNW Bridgewater 2.5 in 0800 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Somerville 2.3 in 0600 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
2 ENE Montgomery Twp 2.1 in 0700 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Manville 2.0 in 0721 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Belle Mead 2.0 in 0710 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Middlebush 1.2 in 1042 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter

...Sussex County...
4 WSW Wantage Twp 11.5 in 1030 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Wantage Twp 10.5 in 1100 PM 01/06 Public
Glenwood 9.0 in 1100 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
1 SSW High Point 9.0 in 1000 PM 01/06 Emergency Mngr
3 W Vernon Valley 9.0 in 0950 PM 01/06 Broadcast Media
1 ESE Kittatinny Lake 9.0 in 0938 PM 01/06 Public
Hampton Twp 9.0 in 0920 PM 01/06 Public
Sparta 5.5 in 0950 PM 01/06 Emergency Mngr
Andover 5.0 in 0850 PM 01/06 Public

...Warren County...
Blairstown 10.5 in 0930 PM 01/06 Broadcast Media
Liberty Twp 5.9 in 0921 PM 01/06 Public
Hackettstown 5.0 in 0805 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
1 SSW Hackettstown 4.6 in 0920 PM 01/06 Public

Sounds like interesting work, but I'll admit being confused: is this work you did at RU or something from a patent case you work/worked on? Are superconductors typically created from solid state crystallization or are solvents/gels involved? Very different crystallizing inorganic salt structures vs. the organic structures I spent decades crystallizing from various solvents.
Been a long time, but Rutgers had a lot of research grant money when high Tc superconductors were the hot thing in science. IIRC, the project I worked on was novel compositions formed via powder processing of precursors (many were simply ground together with a mortar and pestle), we calcined the ground powders and then tested them to determine their critical temperature (Tc) at which they exhibited superconductivity.

The perovskite work was a separate project

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT