ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Could the snow drought end next weekend (1/7)? Maybe...

...Bergen County...
1 N Franklin Lakes 5.7 in 1030 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Franklin Lakes 4.0 in 0815 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Glen Rock 4.0 in 0934 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Ridgewood 3.7 in 1123 PM 01/06 Public
Fair Lawn 3.4 in 1000 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Westwood 2.8 in 0830 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
River Vale 2.8 in 0900 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Fair Lawn 2.0 in 0730 PM 01/06 Cocorahs
Bergenfield 1.0 in 0725 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
East Rutherford 0.5 in 0800 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter

...Essex County...
Livingston 3.6 in 1000 PM 01/06 Public
West Orange 3.5 in 1130 PM 01/06 Public

...Hudson County...
Harrison 1.0 in 0830 PM 01/06 CO-OP Observer

...Passaic County...
Totowa 5.0 in 0150 AM 01/07 Public
Wayne 4.5 in 0800 PM 01/06 Public
Wayne 3.5 in 0900 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter

...Union County...
Plainfield 2.2 in 0820 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
New Providence 1.7 in 0815 PM 01/06 Public
Linden 0.7 in 0630 PM 01/06 Public
Newark Airport 0.4 in 1200 AM 01/07 Official NWS Obs

...New York...

...Nassau County...
Manhasset Hills 0.5 in 0736 PM 01/06 Cocorahs
Plainview 0.3 in 0847 PM 01/06 Public

...New York (Manhattan) County...
Central Park 0.2 in 1200 AM 01/07 Official NWS Obs

...Orange County...
3 NNE Unionville 12.4 in 1253 AM 01/07 Public
Middletown 11.8 in 1215 AM 01/07 Fire Dept/Rescue
3 SSW Pine Bush 9.5 in 1201 AM 01/07 Public
2 SSW Stewart Airport 9.0 in 1205 AM 01/07 Public
1 WNW Monroe 8.0 in 1230 AM 01/07 Trained Spotter
2 E Highland Mills 7.5 in 1212 AM 01/07 Public
Chester 5.5 in 1015 PM 01/06 Cocorahs
Chester 5.1 in 0935 PM 01/06 Public
Highland Mills 4.8 in 1026 PM 01/06 Public
Firthcliffe 2.9 in 0954 PM 01/06 Public
West Point 2.5 in 0940 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter

...Queens County...
NYC/La Guardia 0.3 in 1200 AM 01/07 Official NWS Obs
NYC/JFK 0.1 in 1200 AM 01/07 Official NWS Obs

...Rockland County...
1 NW Stony Point 4.0 in 0100 AM 01/07 Cocorahs
Blauvelt 3.5 in 0922 PM 01/06 Public
New City 3.0 in 1135 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter

...Suffolk County...
Commack 0.3 in 0800 PM 01/06 Public
Upton T in 1200 AM 01/07 Official NWS Obs
Islip Airport T in 1200 AM 01/07 Official NWS Obs

...Westchester County...
1 ESE Hartsdale 3.5 in 1040 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Hartsdale 3.5 in 1040 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Croton-on-Hudson 2.9 in 0945 PM 01/06 Public
White Plains 2.8 in 1037 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Ossining 2.5 in 0845 PM 01/06 Public
White Plains 2.5 in 0900 PM 01/06 Public

some totals

...Hunterdon County...
Whitehouse Station 4.5 in 0822 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
High Bridge 4.4 in 0745 PM 01/06 Public
1 SW Three Bridges 3.4 in 0800 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Readington Twp 3.2 in 0730 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Flemington 2.5 in 0807 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Bartles Corners 2.0 in 0715 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter

...Mercer County...
Woodsville 2.0 in 0850 PM 01/06 Public
Trenton Mercer Airport 1.0 in 0700 PM 01/06 ASOS

...Middlesex County...
North Brunswick 2.0 in 1000 PM 01/06 Public
Metuchen 2.0 in 0700 PM 01/06 Public

...Morris County...
Lake Hopatcong 6.0 in 0914 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Chester 5.0 in 0810 PM 01/06 Public
1 WNW Long Valley 5.0 in 0805 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
1 SSW Brookside 4.8 in 1040 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Randolph 4.7 in 0930 PM 01/06 Cocorahs
Butler 4.0 in 0920 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Montville 3.4 in 0900 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Chatham 3.0 in 0805 PM 01/06 Public

...Somerset County...
3 SSE Far Hills 5.0 in 1130 PM 01/06 Public
Warren 4.5 in 0950 PM 01/06 Public
Bernardsville 4.0 in 0739 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Green Brook Twp 3.0 in 0905 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
3 NNW Bridgewater 2.5 in 0800 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Somerville 2.3 in 0600 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
2 ENE Montgomery Twp 2.1 in 0700 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Manville 2.0 in 0721 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Belle Mead 2.0 in 0710 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Middlebush 1.2 in 1042 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter

...Sussex County...
4 WSW Wantage Twp 11.5 in 1030 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Wantage Twp 10.5 in 1100 PM 01/06 Public
Glenwood 9.0 in 1100 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
1 SSW High Point 9.0 in 1000 PM 01/06 Emergency Mngr
3 W Vernon Valley 9.0 in 0950 PM 01/06 Broadcast Media
1 ESE Kittatinny Lake 9.0 in 0938 PM 01/06 Public
Hampton Twp 9.0 in 0920 PM 01/06 Public
Sparta 5.5 in 0950 PM 01/06 Emergency Mngr
Andover 5.0 in 0850 PM 01/06 Public

...Warren County...
Blairstown 10.5 in 0930 PM 01/06 Broadcast Media
Liberty Twp 5.9 in 0921 PM 01/06 Public
Hackettstown 5.0 in 0805 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
1 SSW Hackettstown 4.6 in 0920 PM 01/06 Public
Seems @RU848789 had this right from.the beginning. As usual, he is the gentleman and scholar of meteorology on this forum.

not sure what you are talking about...he does not make forecasts.

I made a call for nothing for coast...coating to 2 central jersey, 2-5 north of 78, no somerset, morris, hunterdon and 4-8 nw jersey

I think i got it pretty close...did overperform in nw jersey and on the fringes of central jersey

there is no such thing as right from the beginning i do not understand that comment

one thing with this storm is that while temps did get above 32 for many in NJ, it sorted of plateaued at 33-35 so we did not see as much melting and compacting of snow, additional most of the precip shut off a couple of hours after changeover. Not much falling at all after midnight

today we will see spotty areas of light rain and some light snow pivoting through. Those north of 287 may even see some light accumulations as well.

Any new thread on this weeks storm yet?

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Thank you.

Fairly pessimistic, but understandable. I'm going more with the GFS/NAM/NBM and even though the Euro took a step back at 0Z, the Euro ensembles didn't really and still show a few inches for the 95 corridor, so I'll go with 1-2" for the 95 corridor from Trenton to NYC, but only an inch or so from Philly to Trenton; I'd have <1" SE of 95 from the Raritan southward and nada near the coast (although they might get an inch later on Sunday with the wrap-around). I'd also go with 2-3" from the NW edge of the 95 corridor from Trenton to Woodbridge over and up to 78 and then I'd go with 3-5" between 78 and 80 (and NW of 287) and then 5"+ north of 80 (and NW of 287), including 8-12" well N of 80 towards 84. I'd also have about 2-4" in the "box" between the TPK and 287 and between 78 and 80. I need to do a map, lol. And 2", still, for my house.
I think this was the first time I did a full blown snowfall "forecast" (not just my house) and it came out pretty well, especially the 1-2" call from Trenton to NYC along 95 and, of course, the 2" prediction for my house in Metuchen, which is exactly what we got, whereas the NWS-Philly had 0 to <1" from Trenton to NE Middlesex and the NWS-NYC had 1-2" from NE Middlesex to NYC. Also thought the calls between 78 and 80 and N of 80 (and W of 287 for each) worked out well, including the all for 8-12" amounts well N of 80 towards 84.

Was a bit off on the 2" line being the TPK from 78 to 80 (the 2" line was more along the Parkway in that area), as Central Park only reported 0.2" and Newark Airport only reported 0.4", presumably due to melting from the urban heat island effect, as they reported snow falling all afternoon into the evening. Was interesting to see similar low observations along and east of the Turnpike, especially in Union/Essex counties, after it jogs hard east from the Edison area and NYC, as most folks on the weather boards in those areas were reporting <1". Not sure how much of that is the UHI vs. just being further east, since a very good poster on AmericanWx in Carteret only reported about 1" vs. my 2", and he's just 8 miles ENE, but the radar clearly showed he flipped to rain an hour before I did and we got good snow in that last hour.

Below is a map with NWS snowfall reports from EPA/CNJ/NNJ and a bit of SENY, plus a graphic from TWC showing snowfall in much of the same area, where they show a bit more snow than the NWS map, along and east of the TPK and for NYC/LI, so I'm not sure how accurate that is. Of course, the cool part is I think that 2.0" report from Metuchen is mine, lol. Hopefully, we get a better NWS map soon...

aMywGj7.jpg

xc1Zl0P.png

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Moderate snowfall here - might freshen up our huge snowpack, lol (we still have maybe 1/2"-1" of dense slush on the ground, as the rain didn't wash it all away). More seriously, though, these snow showers in CNJ/NNJ shouldn't amount to anything of consequence with temps in the 35-37F range. Pretty to watch, though.

I think this was the first time I did a full blown snowfall "forecast" (not just my house) and it came out pretty well, especially the 1-2" call from Trenton to NYC along 95 and, of course, the 2" prediction for my house in Metuchen, which is exactly what we got, whereas the NWS-Philly had 0 to <1" from Trenton to NE Middlesex and the NWS-NYC had 1-2" from NE Middlesex to NYC. Also thought the calls between 78 and 80 and N of 80 (and W of 287 for each) worked out well, including the all for 8-12" amounts well N of 80 towards 84.

Was a bit off on the 2" line being the TPK from 78 to 80 (the 2" line was more along the Parkway in that area), as Central Park only reported 0.2" and Newark Airport only reported 0.4", presumably due to melting from the urban heat island effect, as they reported snow falling all afternoon into the evening. Was interesting to see similar low observations along and east of the Turnpike, especially in Union/Essex counties, after it jogs hard east from the Edison area and NYC, as most folks on the weather boards in those areas were reporting <1". Not sure how much of that is the UHI vs. just being further east, since a very good poster on AmericanWx in Carteret only reported about 1" vs. my 2", and he's just 8 miles ENE, but the radar clearly showed he flipped to rain an hour before I did and we got good snow in that last hour.

Below is a map with NWS snowfall reports from EPA/CNJ/NNJ and a bit of SENY, plus a graphic from TWC showing snowfall in much of the same area, where they show a bit more snow than the NWS map, along and east of the TPK and for NYC/LI, so I'm not sure how accurate that is. Of course, the cool part is I think that 2.0" report from Metuchen is mine, lol. Hopefully, we get a better NWS map soon...

aMywGj7.jpg

xc1Zl0P.png

You hit the bullseye for me. Made it back and forth to Parx on the GSP and TPK with very limited snow going down around 2:00 and rainy on the return around 11:00. an inch or two to clear from my driveway today.

We've had a great snow shower for the past hour or so, which has put down a new dusting despite it being midday and 36F. So pretty to watch the nice big flakes...

You hit the bullseye for me. Made it back and forth to Parx on the GSP and TPK with very limited snow going down around 2:00 and rainy on the return around 11:00. an inch or two to clear from my driveway today.
Thanks - where do you live and more importantly, how did you do (and what did you play)?

Weird to see some posters so triggered feeling the need to defend Nimbers, a guy that dishes out some of the most insulting tirades on the free board.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I think I found a viable solution.

What if both numbers and back, who both certainly know their stuff in regard to meteorology and forecasts, each form their own separate Weather threads , and agree to not comment on one other thread?

That way, the people that enjoy numbers thread can go on his, and those that like Bacs threads can go on his.

This is just for weather. Of course everything else is free Game .

Personally, I enjoy both as they are both very knowledgeable, sarcastic, like to banter, but most importantly, are both Big Rutgers fans who are knowledgeable about a host of subjects

Reactions: thegock

What if both numbers and back, who both certainly know their stuff in regard to meteorology and forecasts, each form their own separate Weather threads , and agree to not comment on one other thread?

That way, the people that enjoy numbers thread can go on his, and those that like Bacs threads can go on his.

Personally, I enjoy both as they are both very knowledgeable, sarcastic, like to banter, but most importantly, are both Big Rutgers fans who are knowledgeable about a host of subjects
But what fun would that be? 🤔

Anyway, the real solution would be for the middle school mean girls clique to grow up a little.

One thread is good. As I posted in the beginning of this thread, people should know how these threads go by now and not be bothered by the back and forth. Either be entertained by it or tune it out. If it gets too out of hand the mods can clean it up.

Weird to see some posters so triggered feeling the need to defend Nimbers, a guy that dishes out some of the most insulting tirades on the free board.
Confused Little Girl GIF

Because maybe they can recognize when someone was right from the beginning of the thread ? It's not really that hard. @RU848789 disagree on several things (some vehemently), but we are both adult enough to come together on a lot of things we agree on. It's called being open-minded.

Confused Little Girl GIF

Because maybe they can recognize when someone was right from the beginning of the thread ? It's not really that hard. @RU848789 disagree on several things (some vehemently), but we are both adult enough to come together on a lot of things we agree on. It's called being open-minded.
Agreeing on a cut&paste weather forecast chock full of disclaimers lol. Maybe that's the answer to us all just getting along...🤔

The ironic thing is that at least in my area, both Numbers and Bac nailed the totals and impact. So all the back and forth is just bluster.
All the back & forth keeps the thread alive, plenty of other online weather forecasts to track for a week if anyone truly needs to.

Agreeing on a cut&paste weather forecast chock full of disclaimers lol. Maybe that's the answer to us all just getting along...🤔
Sure, why not? Never understood the Mean Girl mindset of the jolly three (maybe a couple of more) who come into these threads just to bust chops. The large majority of people appreciate what @RU848789 does. @bac2therac does a nice job too when he focuses on the weather and not countering numbers. Rodney King's words say it best: Can't we all just get a along (on the weather)?

I disagree. The easy solution is for the mods to just do a little bit of moderation (either deleting offending posts or thread-banning obvious trolls), as they used to do in these weather threads, several years ago. And I don't mean policing arguments and discussion about models and forecasts, but simply policing the small number of obvious trolls who post just to attack or to derail the thead (and 95% of bac's posts in weather threads are fine - I'm talking about other folks). I wonder if they don't because they like the "heat" and the traffic in these thread. I post the same stuff on TOS and never see this, as the mods there immediately deal with trolling - those threads are easier to read and more informative with a couple of pro meteorologists who also weigh in regularly.

Maybe we just open a thread, add a link to Accuweather and then lock the thread. Other than entertainment for some of the posters the postings are just BS guesses and purse swinging in the long run.

There is literally zero value beyond what a link to a professional weather service will provide.

At best since it has zero to do with RU FB it should be on the CE board. After all what is more Current Events than a Look at Me weather thread that always degenerates to bitching, arguing and fan-boying.

Last edited:
Sure, why not? Never understood the Mean Girl mindset of the jolly three (maybe a couple of more) who come into these threads just to bust chops. The large majority of people appreciate what @RU848789 does. @bac2therac does a nice job too when he focuses on the weather and not countering numbers. Rodney King's words say it best: Can't we all just get a along (on the weather)?
Lol more mean girls name-calling ❄️❄️❄️

I disagree. The easy solution is for the mods to just do a little bit of moderation (either deleting offending posts or thread-banning obvious trolls), as they used to do in these weather threads, several years ago. And I don't mean policing arguments and discussion about models and forecasts, but simply policing the small number of obvious trolls who post just to attack or to derail the thead (and 95% of bac's posts in weather threads are fine - I'm talking about other folks). I wonder if they don't because they like the "heat" and the traffic in these thread. I post the same stuff on TOS and never see this, as the mods there immediately deal with trolling - those threads are easier to read and more informative with a couple of pro meteorologists who also weigh in regularly.
Nah....said it many times before, appreciate the effort by you and bac on the weather threads, and the banter and ball-busting.

Show your work. I generally only insult people who have already insulted me, which I think is fair game. Show me any insulting tirade that was unprovoked. I'll wait.

Also, they're not defending me, per se - they're mostly just tired of the childish trolling/insults sent my way, as those lead to threads being derailed, which many posters find annoying. Some enjoy it. Whatever.

Had some more mood flakes for a bit this morning, followed by some drizzly rain, and it seems that's done now too. Central Park racked up 0.2 inches somehow haha. So the streak of days without an inch or more of snow continues.

Show your work. I generally only insult people who have already insulted me, which I think is fair game. Show me any insulting tirade that was unprovoked. I'll wait.

Also, they're not defending me, per se - they're mostly just tired of the childish trolling/insults sent my way, as those lead to threads being derailed, which many posters find annoying. Some enjoy it. Whatever.
Haha like your "generally "disclaimer. You're still paying for premium, you know damn well your "work" is easy to pull-up on CE. You get most non-CE threads locked when you get push-back on your political diatribes.

Maybe we just open a thread, add a link to Accuweather and then lock the thread. Other than entertainment for some of the posters the postings are just BS guesses and purse swinging in the long run.

There is literally zero value beyond what a link to a professional weather service will provide.
Maybe for you, but have you noticed how many posters have chimed in with props for the thread? Clearly some see value in them same thing on TOS and FB and my email lists. If I thought people didn't care or like them, I wouldn't waste my time on them and I put in a few hours per day into these when we have an event.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT