ADVERTISEMENT

OT: High School Football

Nowucme

Freshman
May 8, 2020
Just wondering how many of you regularly or semi regularly attend high school football games, especially if you don’t have a family member participating. I don’t make all the games but go as much as possible. You park for free - usually right next to the field, it’s usually no more than $5 to get in, you can sit wherever you want, hot dogs and snacks are cheap, there’s a band and cheerleaders setting the tone, no TV or commercial timeouts and best of all the kids play their hearts out. Bottom line it’s just a lot of fun.

Yes all of this. Most pure form of football, always root for the home team! Super cool especially if the school is right in some small town downtown.

This year have gone to Park Ridge, Westwood, and Livingston. Fun atmospheres everywhere. Also nice to see some live offense that scores points !

Reactions: beaced
I have gone to watching only film. I just can not deal with the insane parents anymore. I get enough of that at the games I coach, but to listen to them badmouth kids, coaches, play calling, officials etc. etc. just drives me nuts.

I go to 3 or 4 games a year and then the Section titles if I like the teams
I really don't like night games so I try for the Saturday games (which are hard to find these days)
Its fun to see games flow without the constant time-outs for replays and commercials

Last edited:
I go to the TRN games whenever I can. It’s fun seeing a team I like win almost every game , usually by a lot.

I have gone to watching only film. I just can not deal with the insane parents anymore. I get enough of that at the games I coach, but to listen to them badmouth kids, coaches, play calling, officials etc. etc. just drives me nuts.
I have luckily not encountered a lot of that, but I have no doubt what you say is true. Had a friend who when his son was playing used to stand by the fence in one of the end.zones (even though it’s not the best vantage point) for the very reasons you cited. Pretty sad.

• Love
Reactions: beaced
If I go to high school games I sit in the most remote part of the bleachers. I agree with Gef, it is difficult to listen to people complain. It is one thing to ridicule officiating and coaching (not acceptable) but to ridicule high school aged kids is next level.

My son and wife are debating which game tonight, it's either Tom's River North @ Middletown North or Pt. Pleasant Boro @ SJV

This. I only go to watch games where I have field access. During covid a lot of schools wouldn’t let people on sidelines. I went to one game and at in the stands. I left at half because I couldn’t take the parents. My son will be in HS next year. I don’t think it’s appropriate for me to be on sidelines, maybe I’ll sit on the visitor side.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
This. I only go to watch games where I have field access. During covid a lot of schools wouldn’t let people on sidelines. I went to one game and at in the stands. I left at half because I couldn’t take the parents. My son will be in HS next year. I don’t think it’s appropriate for me to be on sidelines, maybe I’ll sit on the visitor side.
We always switch at halftime, I like to hear what's said on both sides, always comical. vkj91, you'd be amazed how many undiscovered Bill Parcells are roaming NJ HS bleachers,lol. So much untapped coaching talent right under our noses. 😎

Last edited:
I'm able to stream P'burg games on Youtube. Have family involved with that program. Very convenient since I live an hour and a half away.

Obviously if your kids are playing high school sports you watch them.
I’ve become familiar with the people and other parents you see at every game who are watching their own kids or have ties to someone on the team.
I love watching, have no problem going, and I’m more nervous for them than I was playing myself.
Football attracts far more random fans, I could see how that would be annoying, but if your kid is playing…. You go.
Can’t think of any scenario where you wouldn’t

If I do not have a commitment, I try to go to the local Friday night game. When I knew kids on the team I would sit with their parents, but now when I go I just sit or stand by my myself because it does get a little crazy amongst the parents. To me it is an enjoyable two hours or so where the game moves quickly. Heck I can arrive at 6:55 and be home by 9:15 or earlier if it is a blowout.

Battle of the Bridge tonight with South Hunterdon playing cross river rival New Hope. The towns combine for youth football, making this a fun one.

I go to Don Bosco Prep games occcassionally and really enjoy it. They run a great program and are rocking it this year, having knocked off perennial powers Bergen Catholic, St. Peters Prep, Seton Hall Prep and St. Joes (Montvale).

Park Ridge tonight in Bergen County, they have a fun atmosphere. Stadium setting is quaint, tucked away in old downtown off Park Ave. Ranked #4 in North Jersey group 1. Also, their band plays the Rutgers fight song. “Park-Ridge-Rah-Rah they say haha

We always switch at halftime, I like to hear what's said on both sides, always comical. vkj91, you'd be amazed how many undiscovered Bill Parcells are roaming NJ HS bleachers,lol. So much untapped coaching talent right under our noses. 😎
Don’t need to go to high school games for untapped talent. Plenty right here on this board.

• Haha
I have luckily not encountered a lot of that, but I have no doubt what you say is true. Had a friend who when his son was playing used to stand by the fence in one of the end.zones (even though it’s not the best vantage point) for the very reasons you cited. Pretty sad.
GREAT DAD.

Don’t need to go to high school games for untapped talent. Plenty right here on this board.

"There are two things every man (and HS Mom) in America think they can do......"

Slight revision but still true.

My son and I went to a pretty good game at SJV vs Pt. Boro. SJV took undefeated Boro into OT where Boro won 19-13. A lot of strange calls and timekeeping problems. We were very close to the press box, and the official timekeeper is a NJSIAA Official. There was so much yelling about the clock not running or running when it should have been stopped , that the official slides open the window and starts pointing his finger at the parent and an ugly exchange went back and forth, lol. On a side note, a parents group from Pt. Pleasant Boro HS gave a check to the parents of the injured SJV player for over $31,000 they collected. Very impressive to say the least.https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...eats-st-john-vianney-in-wild-ot-thriller.html

Last edited:
Reactions: ManasquanMike
My son and I went to a pretty good game at SJV vs Pt. Boro. SJV took undefeated Boro into OT where Boro won 19-13. A lot of strange calls and timekeeping problems. We were very close to the press box, and the official timekeeper is a NJSIAA Official. There was so much yelling about the clock not running or running when it should have been stopped , that the official slides open the window and starts pointing his finger at the parent and an ugly exchange went back and forth, lol. On a side note, a parents group from Pt. Pleasant Boro HS gave a check to the parents of the injured SJV player for over $31,000 they collected. Very impressive to say the least.

The official time is kept on the field by the referee I think

The official time is kept on the field by the referee I think
Actually, the refs chop the time on and off on the field and the Official in the pressbox starts and stops the clock.Just like any HS basketball game. I was a HS basketball ref for 15 years before my right knee gave out. We were responsible for stopping the clock and starting the clock with our hand motion and an official or trained person ran that clock and the possession arrow. That was the problem, parents on the SJV side were going ape$hit to the point the NJSIAA Official opened the window and started a yelling back and forth, it was very comical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT