ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kentucky's Harrison uses racial slur against Wisconsin player

Originally posted by ElmiraExpress:
Originally posted by RUnumber1:
Oh Good God!!! Blacks will always want to be victims What more do you want? You are all equal and in some case more than equal to whites. We even have a God Damn black president for Christ shake!!! What more do you want??!! My family was not here in America when slavery was here. My family had no part in slavery. Besides, black were not the only slaves in the world. There were many other races who were slaves at one time in history. The blacks are the only cry babies about what their ancient ancestries may have experienced. Not them personall. Blacks sold other blacks into slavery. This is really getting old. I am really getting sick and tired of every white person in America being blamed for slavery, real or imagined. Grow up!! Put on your big boy pants sand MOVE ON!!!!
ATTENTION: *** racist alert *** racist alert **** racist alert ***

we now return to our regular programming
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Last I checked the Voting Rights Act and Selma are anything but ancient history.

The word that best describes this whole incident..."unsportsmanlike". Which seems to be a pattern at places like Kentucky by evidence of the players that walked off the court without shaking the hands of the Wisky players.

Oh Good God!!! Blacks will always want to be victims What more do you want? You are all equal and in some case more than equal to whites. We even have a God Damn black president for Christ shake!!! What more do you want??!! My family was not here in America when slavery was here. My family had no part in slavery. Besides, black were not the only slaves in the world. There were many other races who were slaves at one time in history. The blacks are the only cry babies about what their ancient ancestries may have experienced. Not them personall. Blacks sold other blacks into slavery. This is really getting old. I am really getting sick and tired of every white person in America being blamed for slavery, real or imagined. Grow up!! Put on your big boy pants sand MOVE ON!!!!
I think you need to get out in the world a little more if you think there are no other "cry babies" worried about the past. I suggest you ask some armenians about the turks, or polish about the germans, or chinese about the japanese, or irish about the english. You might realize there actually are other "cry babies" who don't easily forget past injustices.

It is interesting that you can make statements about what an entire race thinks or wants. I'm curious, what percentage of "the blacks" do you base your conclusions on? how many told you these things? Was it really a sufficient sample size to know what the entire race thinks about something.

Originally posted by jiggscasey:
Originally posted by bac2therac:
He was denigrating Kaminsky...if kaminsky chose to denigrate him by using that word the world would be up in arms.....you people are too caught up in the idea that its ok for blacks to use it...Harrison used the word with the intent to denigrate.. thats the key here
What do you want to happen to Harrison? I don't know anyone who thinks what Harrison did is ok. He apologized and Frank accepted? Remember when Riley Cooper got caught with the same word? Didn't he get to go back to work and not miss any playing time?
I tend to agree with this. I don't think it's OK for this word to be in such pervasive use in certain segments of society, but the kid apologized and Kaminsky graciously accepted.

After that, exactly what is the problem -- that more people aren't outraged? Other than an apology and its acceptance, what else is there?

Holy cow lol.

A "Double standard" is if Harrison called him a "honky" or "cracker" without anything happening.

How dumb are you people? How out of touch are you people?

Num-nutts above says reality isn't my strong suit. SON, anyone who does not get what Harrison said, and how it has absolutly 0 to do with racism is not operating in any sort of reality AT ALL

As to the N word and the Bias crime from ocean county - i agree thats absurd, its absurd to assign "bias" every time the N word is uttered. THAT IS EXACTLY THE SAME ABSURDITY BEING SHOWCASED ON THIS THREAD.

Why don't you look up the most recent bias charge in NJ? B/C its against black people for targeting Indians for robberies and home invasions. Wheres the double standard there?

You clowns want to be taken seriously as angry old white men who are out of touch and generally corny? well these types of stupid arguments are DESTROYING your credibility. Use your feeble minds for Christ's sake.

And since when do a bunch of out of touch white men get to tell black kids that they can't use the N word anyway? Guess what? its none of your business what they use amongst themselves. Esp regarding a word that was use to subjugate them for CENTURIES.

You clowns don't realize that "F that N*gga" essentially means "F that dude" PERIOD. Nothing racial about it, if the other kid had said "F that dude" that would be the same as this. Learn modern F'n America. Learn about the world around you my god, this irritates me. B/C its blatantly friggen STUPID.

Originally posted by IL Lusciato:

You clowns don't realize that "F that N*gga" essentially means "F that dude" PERIOD. Nothing racial about it, if the other kid had said "F that dude" that would be the same as this. Learn modern F'n America. Learn about the world around you my god, this irritates me. B/C its blatantly friggen STUPID.
Calling people "old" when you have no idea how old anyone is what is tired.

1) If "n*gga" is so modern and cool, why won't you even type the full word?
2) What if Kaminsky said, "that n*gga can ball". Is that a compliment in your book?

Originally posted by Caliknight:

Calling people "old" when you have no idea how old anyone is what is tired.

1) If "n*gga" is so modern and cool, why won't you even type the full word?
2) What if Kaminsky said, "that n*gga can ball". Is that a compliment in your book?
Why don't you try focusing on the larger message IL is saying instead of parsing a small part to create a straw man argument or creating little gotcha hypothetical questions?

Ummm, that was his message. Parsing words? I used exact quotes.

The larger issue is it is stupid double standard, and if people think it is a bad word, than they shouldn't use it themselves, regardless of intention or the color of their skin.

Instead of attempting to reframe the argument, maybe answering the questions would be helpful.

Parsing doesn't mean misquoting... It means taking a small part and examining closely.

The larger issue is it is stupid double standard, and if people think it is a bad word, than they shouldn't use it themselves, regardless of intention or the color of their skin.
Please point out where anyone says the word should be used. Some people simply understand context, and that the word means something different if used to assign hatred towards a race, or used as slang by a member of that race. This can be consistent with the opinion that the word should not be used.

IL mentions the bias claims against the blacks who recently attacked Indian families in Edison as an example that accusations of prejudice and racism apply to minorities as well. Please feel free to continue to ignore that part of the discussion.

Instead of attempting to reframe the argument, maybe answering the questions would be helpful.
What part of the argument am I or is IL reframing? What is your argument exactly, other than being upset that people aren't outraged by this?

What if Harrison said that about a black player? Would it be racist even though Harrison himself is black?

Originally posted by cRURah:
stop being so sensitive. It's just a word however its used. I remember when "suck" implied something nasty and it would never be used in a respectable conversation. Nowadays adults tell their kids to "suck it". F-ck is another word that is commonly used today. TV, movies, young girls use it all the time. My mother would have washed my mouth out with soap if she heard me say it. Call me ginny, wop, grease ball, banana boat, mafiosa, dago, spaghetti slurper....I don't give a shit.
This discussion sucks the big one.
Wow. What trailer park do you live in?

(Don't worry. I'm white. According to Mountie, that's not really an insult, but a compliment.)

Originally posted by ScarletRunner:

Parsing doesn't mean misquoting... It means taking a small part and examining closely.

Please point out where anyone says the word should be used. Some people simply understand context, and that the word means something different if used to assign hatred towards a race, or used as slang by a member of that race. This can be consistent with the opinion that the word should not be used.

IL mentions the bias claims against the blacks who recently attacked Indian families in Edison as an example that accusations of prejudice and racism apply to minorities as well. Please feel free to continue to ignore that part of the discussion.

What part of the argument am I or is IL reframing? What is your argument exactly, other than being upset that people aren't outraged by this?
THANK YOU! You obviously get what im saying. I'm not sure why some are having so much trouble with this stuff lol.

Cali says that I'm asserting the N word is cool and hip. Never said that. Just putting this statement in modern context BC facts and reality matters.

Funny though how I pointed out that it is not a double standard, gave an example of what a double standard would be, yet he still claims there is one here. Again, hurting his own credibility.

Originally posted by SanFranRutgers:

I tend to agree with this. I don't think it's OK for this word to be in such pervasive use in certain segments of society, but the kid apologized and Kaminsky graciously accepted.

After that, exactly what is the problem -- that more people aren't outraged? Other than an apology and its acceptance, what else is there?

The problem is the people coming out to defend it.

The guy said something wrong. Just eat this one and let him take his lumps. He's not going to be branded for the rest of his life. He will take heat for a few days, and then it will be over. I don't think that too harsh of a punishment for what he did.

Originally posted by PhDKnight:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Last I checked the Voting Rights Act and Selma are anything but ancient history.
A few days ago he was saying Christians were victims for having to serve gays, I guess it was only black Christians who were complaining?

Like I said before I'm Italian American and there were a lot of really stupid people complaining about the Sopranos and the Jersey Shore....no group in America has a monopoly when it comes to whining about racism.

THANK YOU! You obviously get what im saying. I'm not sure why some are having so much trouble with this stuff lol.

Cali says that I'm asserting the N word is cool and hip. Never said that. Just putting this statement in modern context BC facts and reality matters.

Funny though how I pointed out that it is not a double standard, gave an example of what a double standard would be, yet he still claims there is one here. Again, hurting his own credibility.
You are twisting yourself up now. By claiming it is "modern" is saying it is acceptable now, which is full circle, because that is exactly what your whole argument is.

"Some people simply understand context, and that the word means something different if used to assign hatred towards a race, or used as slang by a member of that race."

You still aren't answering the question. If Kaminsky said that "n*gga" can ball, is that acceptable under modern context? It isn't hate right? In fact, that is less hatred than the original statement, right?

spot on. the acceptance and almost glorifying of the word in hip hop culture and some communities is hypocritical. It needs to stop being used period. You cant allow one race to use and it then AUTOMATICALLY when another race uses it they are branded RACIST

ITT, old white people talking about the use of nigga
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by ArminRU:
ITT, old white people talking about the use of nigga
roll.r191677.gif
At least you have the balls to type it, not saying it is acceptable, then having to hide the use of it. I respect that.

You should write a book on when it is acceptable and when it isn't, under what context, scenario, who can, who can't...you know teach people.

If he had said " that nigga can ball" he would be what us youngins in the north and central jersey area call a "herb" because white boys don't say nigga unless they are herbs.

Sometimes, many times they get away with it, as I have witnessed several times. But they shouldn't say it. Would it be less hateful than him saying "f*ck that n*gger" yes. Would it be OK? No.

But I won't tell a black guy not to say the word BC its not my place. And just BC a black person uses the word on me or others does not give me the right to say it.

Hell, I got called a nigga a few days ago by my black friend literally BC he said he was gonna beat me in basketball once my fat ass got around to playing.

If none of this makes sense to you - you should stop making statements and start asking questions.

Originally posted by RUMountie:
This might be news to some of you but Harrison's comment might have been a compliment and there
are some white folks (especially high level basketball players who are white) who would take a comment like that as a compliment of the highest order. .
So if Frank Kaminsky were a black man, he would have taken that comment as a compliment? Having listened to the audio, I do not believe Harrison was praising Kaminsky's game. LOL

The n-word is a racial slur in any context, regardless of the intent of the speaker.

By the way, is it okay for an overweight woman to call her chubby friends "fatsos"?
happy.r191677.gif
Just a term of endearment, I imagine. No?

Obvious. But a long time thing if you've been a member of this site for years as I have. And the thing is what in this thread is even remotely about Blacks wanting to be victims or crying? So he's an idiot also.

Typical. The truth really hurts and therefore all they can do is name call instead of being a man, accept the truth and WORK to change the general perception of what is reality today. As I said, grow up and move on. Don't keep blaming other people or other circumstances for you not achieving what you should be achieving. Every nationality and race had to immigrate and ASSIMILATE into American society. No hyphenated names. No "in your face" ethnic dress at work. No "help me" attitude or victim mentality. Just good old hard work and assimilation into AMERICA. Prove you belong and deserve respect. Earn it, don't cry and whine for it.

If he had said " that nigga can ball" he would be what us youngins in the north and central jersey area call a "herb" because white boys don't say nigga unless they are herbs.

Sometimes, many times they get away with it, as I have witnessed several times. But they shouldn't say it. Would it be less hateful than him saying "f*ck that n*gger" yes. Would it be OK? No.

But I won't tell a black guy not to say the word BC its not my place. And just BC a black person uses the word on me or others does not give me the right to say it.

Hell, I got called a nigga a few days ago by my black friend literally BC he said he was gonna beat me in basketball once my fat ass got around to playing.

If none of this makes sense to you - you should stop making statements and start asking questions.
I did ask questions, no one can answer them.

But that is enough for me. I would rather stay in my close minded world where black people and white people a like don't use racial slurs. Never have I heard my black friends refer to each other like that, me like that, or anyone else. Of course, they are smart dudes with grace and class, so it stands to reason.

Maybe it is you who might want to learn something instead of acting like you know it all. Just a recommendation.

Typical. The truth really hurts and therefore all they can do is name call instead of being a man, accept the truth and WORK to change the general perception of what is reality today. As I said, grow up and move on. Don't keep blaming other people or other circumstances for you not achieving what you should be achieving. Every nationality and race had to immigrate and ASSIMILATE into American society. No hyphenated names. No "in your face" ethnic dress at work. No "help me" attitude or victim mentality. Just good old hard work and assimilation into AMERICA. Prove you belong and deserve respect. Earn it, don't cry and whine for it.
Dude you need to just quit already. What are these hyphenated names that you're referring to? In your face ethnic dress at work? What does that even mean? I mean seriously. I wonder if you got all decked out in green on March 17th like so many others. Or have ever been a member of or know anyone who has been a part of UNICO or for that matter complained about a group such as that. And I bet you're just enraged to see all of those people decked out in green marching every March 17th.
Seriously.......you don't seem too bright.

And how many times have I heard the nonsense from you and others about how Blacks are the only ones who ever describe themselves as something other than simply American. And even have organizations that go in hand with that. But of course that is nothing but BS and anyone with unbiased eyes and a mind knows this.

Well look a here.

Every time I hear a black person say that word, I think about how often I heard white people say it as a child. Now, I never hear a white person say it and hear black people use it like it's the most popular word in their vocabulary.

All in all, it's much better this way.

You are twisting yourself up now. By claiming it is "modern" is saying it is acceptable now, which is full circle, because that is exactly what your whole argument is.

"Some people simply understand context, and that the word means something different if used to assign hatred towards a race, or used as slang by a member of that race."

You still aren't answering the question. If Kaminsky said that "n*gga" can ball, is that acceptable under modern context? It isn't hate right? In fact, that is less hatred than the original statement, right?
Well that's my point.., Kaminsky saying the word is NOT acceptable. White people can't say the word. Period. Blacks say it all the time in rap music, etc. and no one bats an eyelash or cares. Yes, the word itself is offensive - The Kentucky player apologized publicly for using it.

I think most people agree that people shouldn't use racial slurs. But that opinion is not inconsistent with the belief that who uses the slur and in what context also matters.

Cali, it's funny to me that you and others are so obsessed with the fact that modern society prohibits whites from using the N-word... Real racism to me is about a pervasive attitude. See below:

Hit a nerve did I "RU for jersey?" As I said, the truth really hurts. Again all you can do is result to name calling. We all know who is bright and who is not.

These threads, and they come up pretty often, get nowhere, or to put it better, get to the same exact place every time. One thing that they do accomplish, however, is to suss out some pretty scary points of view. This one is no different. Sorry for this interruption. Continue. Unleash the anger.

Scarlet, you are confused. I'm not advocating that white people should use it. I'm saying non one should.

This is a teachable moment that was missed.

Scarlet, you are confused. I'm not advocating that white people should use it. I'm saying non one should.

This is a teachable moment that was missed.Well no argument from me on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT