ADVERTISEMENT

OT: May 14,1998-The Voice silenced at 82

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
25 years ago tonight,the lead singer of The Hoboken Four,one Francis Albert Sinatra of Beverly Hills,had his swan song.
The death was somewhat unexpected as the recent word was that he was doing much better.

The big news of that day going in was the buildup for the last show of Seinfeld that night.
There were a few people worried about India joining the nuclear club the previous day but most felt that the situation could be handled.
As for myself,my friend and I started it in a San Diego motel preparing to go to Vegas for a one night stand hoping to get tickets to see Danny Gans.

We got to Sin City about 1,checked in,then went to see about those tickets.
No luck there,so we decided to go to Cashman Field to check out the locals.

After the game,we walked the Strip,seeing it and the city for the first time.
We lamented the fact that we were limited to one night but we had to return to San Diego as we had an early morning Saturday flight to Newark.

Waking up early,I switched on the TV in the room and was floored by the news.
I went down to my friend's room to wake him up,then turned my sights across the street to "New York,New York",and thinking that the news was already spreading.

Driving back across the desert we heard that Mike Piazza had been traded to the Marlins.
A while later,Tommy Lasorda was on a local station,saddened that his best friend had died and that his godson would no longer wear Dodger Blue.

During the drive,I wondered what were the odds that 2 guys from Hudson County would spend only one night in Las Vegas,and that night would be the one on which Sinatra died.
When I returned East,my co-workers from Hoboken were blaming me for the death.
Neither I nor my friend ever returned to Vegas.
I don't want Wayne Newton's fans after me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT