ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mets on verge of pulling off big trade

Those 2 would be great, but I wouldn't mind Gomez or Cespedes if it's one of those 2.

Those 2 would be great, but I wouldn't mind Gomez or Cespedes if it's one of those 2.

Cespedes is a dog and a terrible left fielder. When he was traded to the Red Sox last season he refused to take any direction from the Sox coaching staff and played like a lone wolf anticipating a trade or free agency and a big contract. The Sox couldn't wait to jettison him over the Winter. Apparently the Tigers have learned the same about him.

I'm not a Mets fan but hope they don't acquire Cespedes because his reputation is well know in the league. You don't win with guys like Cespedes.

Carlos Gomez would be my first choice of those mentioned here.

Admittedly, I haven't followed Gomez since he was traded. How is .262 and 8 HR a big bat? I also remember him hot dogging it quite a bit. Good player, but "big bat?"

I want Parra, but I assume by the timing it is Upton and will be announced as soon as the series w/ the Padres is over.

Admittedly, I haven't followed Gomez since he was traded. How is .262 and 8 HR a big bat? I also remember him hot dogging it quite a bit. Good player, but "big bat?"

I think Gomez is more of an elite defensive CF and a huge upgrade offensively over Lagares. I guess you could move Granderson to CF if you got one of the corner OFers tho.

Reactions: Doctor Worm

Look at the last three years, averages around 20 homers, mid 30s stolen bases, average .260, .284, .284. Very good defensive center fielder. Adds speed, bat, and glove.

Gomez for Zack Wheeler and Wilmer Flores according to Joel Sherman on MLB Network.

Great deal for the Mets! As a Yankee fan, exciting times in NY baseball. Good to see!

Gomez for Zack Wheeler and Wilmer Flores according to Joel Sherman on MLB Network.

I, for one, do not like giving up Wheeler and Lagares for a 30 year old career .260 hitter!

It's Wheeler and Flores for Gomez, and I don't like it,in fact Flores has more HR's and 3 less RBI's than Gomez. How is that the big bat they needed.

I'm actually surprised they got this done. The Brewers are taking a chance on Wheeler being the exact prospect he was before the ACL surgery. To be able to get a bonafide OF who gets on base and can hit and is a top defensive player., really an established better Lagares is a good move in my opinion. Of course they still have Lagares and can move him to LF when he is healthy.

Because the trade has not yet officially been announced. Your point is still valid though.

It seems more likely that they haven't dotted the i's and crossed the t's yet - teams pretty much always take the player out when the deal is signed, even if it hasn't been announced yet.

This is THE TYPE OF TRADE (not necessarily the specific trade) that Met fans have been awaiting for five years. Met fans have been waiting patiently while this team has been building for the future. Alderson has made his statement - the future is now!

The Mets, as currently constituted, are a "you gotta be in it to win it" team. I am not sure that they are good enough, over the remaining 60 games, to make the playoffs. But if they do, I honestly believe that they can win it all. They are constructed for playoff success, because in the playoffs, they can throw an ace at you every night.

The Mets are going for it. And for that, I salute them.

And don't forget Herrera. He is not on the Prospects List as he has exceeded his rookie status, but he may be the best of the three. Given the composition of this team, Flores was expendable.

Met fans should not evaluate this trade based on anything that Flores and Wheeler go on to do in their careers. This is a trade made for the short term. The kind of trade that contenders make -- and it feels so good to say that! Evaluate it on whether or not Gomez helps the team achieve its objectives here and now.

September lineup. Terry likes R,L,R,L. He will have Cuddyer 4th if/when he comes back
Gomez
Wright
Murphy
Duda
Grandy
d'naurd
Largares/conforto/Cuddyer higher if healthy
tejada

Gomez
Grandy
d'naurd
Duda
Murphy
Johnson/Uribe
Conforto/largares
Tejada

Wright and Cuddyer healthy

Gomez
Grandy
Wright
Duda
Cuddyer
Murphy
d'naurd
Tejada

Last edited:
Trade not happening after all... Had to be the Mets of course... Thank God I don't also root for the Jets.

Trade not happening after all... Had to be the Mets of course... Thank God I don't also root for the Jets.
I root for both and it's hard but don't get why people are upset this trade didn't happen. Think it becomes a good story where people can look back on his love of the Mets while he becomes the player they envisioned.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
Big trade? Gomez?

[roll]

8 HR
43 RBI
70 SO

Mediocre player at best.
Not Mediocre at best. You're hung up on stats that other than RBIs mean little to nothing. On-base percentage and slugging percentage tell me much more than batting average, home runs and strike outs. Gomez has a career OPS of .736 (that's OBP + Slugging) which is fairly solid. The problem is he's 30 in December as well. My opinion is that he's a good but not great player and not worth what's being given up.

Deal off due to Gomez medical issues, hip injury. Has missed time this season. Didn't realize his injury issues.

this is why you wait until its official before going crazy, never understood the rush to react immediately. I thought Wheeler's medical records would be the issue considering he just had tommy john.

this is why you wait until its official before going crazy, never understood the rush to react immediately. I thought Wheeler's medical records would be the issue considering he just had tommy john.

I actually thought that would be the blip that it was. Wheeler by all accounts is progressing on or ahead of schedule. Gomez though has at times had trouble staying healthy.

was he crying because when he went to play defense he realized the trade fell apart and he's stuck with the METS??? jk.. mets fan here.

After looking at the stats I am glad this trade is not happening.

Gomez is 29 and has never hit better than 284 with 24 HRs and 73 RBIs. The stats are barely a step above Granderson. Cuddyer is also a small step down from Gomez.

Wheeler has potential to be a # 3 or #4 starter. He is only 25 with 2 years of MLB service. After he recovers from surgery he may actually be better than he was.

Gomez Stats
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gomezca01.shtml

If the Mets would trade Wheeler and Flores for Todd Frazier I think it would be a better deal. Frazier has a little more power than Gomez plus as a native NJ guy he has the potential to convert local fans to Mets fans that can lead to more seats sold, more merchandise sold, and a positive media personality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT