ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Monmouth U?

OTBOTOR

Senior
Aug 28, 2014
Jersey City
Hi all, a relative, who is in high school, received some literature about Monmouth University. She lives out of state and asked me what I know about it. The answer is surprisingly little. I've looked at the basic stats: # students (small), # faculty (smaller), SAT/ACT scores (lower than I would have thought).

I figure some of RU Nation must have some knowledge and opinions about it. My question to you guys, what is Monmouth's reputation overall? Is it particularly well-known for certain majors more than others? What is the student/campus life like? These things are hard to tell using internet research.

I've suggested Rutgers, but she seems a bit intimidated by such an enormous university. Any insight on Monmouth would be greatly appreciated.

Very beautiful bucolic and small campus in lovely West Long Branch, NJ, and about 1 mile to the beach! Part of the movie Annie was shot on campus. I believe their communication program is pretty good, as well as their music program. They have their own radio station, and I know some people who have gone on to some decent jobs in entertainment from Monmouth.

Nice safe area. Mid level school, academics are nothing spectacular but O.K.. private and expensive. They use to have a good Software Engineering masters program geared to Ft. Monmouth but not sure what became of it. Over the past 15 or so years they did a lot of building added a new Arena and dorms. Former summer home of Woodrow Wilson, the main building Wilson hall is really nice and that was what was used in filming Annie.

Nice safe area. Mid level school, academics are nothing spectacular but O.K.. private and expensive. They use to have a good Software Engineering masters program geared to Ft. Monmouth but not sure what became of it. Over the past 15 or so years they did a lot of building added a new Arena and dorms. Former summer home of Woodrow Wilson, the main building Wilson hall is really nice and that was what was used in filming Annie.

+1 to all this. The software engineering program is still viable. My nephew is nearly finished his masters and seems to really like it.

My son played an American Legion baseball game there two summers ago. Nice campus, close to beach, lot of upgrades going on

my wife is a Communication professor at Monmouth... they have a pretty good program for it there. The former publisher of the Asbury Park Press donated a lot to upgrade audio & video equipment and studios a few years back.

It's a beautiful campus. The school is growing, but will always remain a small school -- the town will make sure of that.

BTW, they worked out a deal with ESPN a year or two back to have many games (I think basketball and football) shown on ESPN3. That's not bad for a small school.

Son went to Monmouth ('04-'08) and loved it. Had a reputation as a party school but admin has worked to change that. Beautiful and very safe little campus. As I remember a large number of upperclassmen live in rentals off site. So-so academic reputation but there are some good programs as mentioned above.

As with all private schools, pretty expensive.

Thanks you guys, this is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to get! I'm not sure what her desired major is, but I'll pass on the info about the software engineering and communications programs.

Taking a closer look at it, it seems like a decent place to spend your college years, with the campus walking distance to trains and the beach, and photos of the campus look beautiful. I'll have to make a point to drive through next time I'm in that area.

Does Monmouth have any famous grads and people accomplished in their field other than Miles Austin?

From what I remember, the school is very expensive and not a tremendous value. That being said, the location is great.

Right down the road from Monmouth Park Race Track. Maybe they should partner up for programs in 'hospitality', horse breeding, and being a jockey or trainer, etc.

Hey, minutes away from the beach and race track, what a way to concentrate on your studies, lol

Decent bar and restaurant scene with Brighton Bar, Jacks Goal Line Stand, and West End with the Inkwell for late night /early morning food/coffee/dessert. Great area.

I'm sure it's nice to be near the beach for the first month of the fall and the last couple weeks of the spring semesters, but how much can you really use it the rest of the school year? It's not like UC Santa Barbara where you can play beach volleyball in the middle of January 50 yards from your dorm.

I'm sure it's nice to be near the beach for the first month of the fall and the last couple weeks of the spring semesters, but how much can you really use it the rest of the school year?
Locals use it all year round. Fishing. Walk on beach. If you have a wet suit you can go surfing/boogie boarding all year round.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
You can get a small college feel plus all the benefits of a large flagship at SEBS (Cook)
Of course only applies if you want a major offered there.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
All I know about Monmouth U is that Flood keep beating them for recruits the last couple of years. Old Dominion and Monmouth must really hate Flood...

Someone once told me that the most complex issue at Monmouth U was trying to find out which night their 5 star talent was going to Bar A.

I've sailed several times with Paul Gafney, the most recent former president of Monmouth U. Great guy. Knows his way around a boat. Other than that... I got nothin'.

I've sailed several times with Paul Gafney, the most recent former president of Monmouth U. Great guy. Knows his way around a boat. Other than that... I got nothin'.
I would hope the admiral would know his way around a boat

Hi all, a relative, who is in high school, received some literature about Monmouth University. She lives out of state and asked me what I know about it. The answer is surprisingly little. I've looked at the basic stats: # students (small), # faculty (smaller), SAT/ACT scores (lower than I would have thought).

I figure some of RU Nation must have some knowledge and opinions about it. My question to you guys, what is Monmouth's reputation overall? Is it particularly well-known for certain majors more than others? What is the student/campus life like? These things are hard to tell using internet research.

I've suggested Rutgers, but she seems a bit intimidated by such an enormous university. Any insight on Monmouth would be greatly appreciated.

Way too expensive for the quality of education and the future prospects that a degree twill give you. So very much on the low end of the cost/value ratio. Be careful!

I'm sure it's nice to be near the beach for the first month of the fall and the last couple weeks of the spring semesters, but how much can you really use it the rest of the school year? It's not like UC Santa Barbara where you can play beach volleyball in the middle of January 50 yards from your dorm.

Yeah, spend 1 winter and you'll be saying what the hell was I thinking. I've been saying it every year for the last 20 plus lol

Last edited:
Reactions: RUseaweed
Why would Monmouth be superior to her in-state choices? I'm racking my brain here, and I can't think of any state schools that I would find less academically impressive.

To me there is one NJ private school that is worth it- Princeton. I can see going to Stevens or maybe Drew with the right scholarships and I understand both are generous with nice campuses in great locations.

I grew up not far from there and it was considered a rich Brookdale, which is maybe unfair but that was the reputation then in some quarters.

Why would Monmouth be superior to her in-state choices? I'm racking my brain here, and I can't think of any state schools that I would find less academically impressive.

To me there is one NJ private school that is worth it- Princeton. I can see going to Stevens or maybe Drew with the right scholarships and I understand both are generous with nice campuses in great locations.

I grew up not far from there and it was considered a rich Brookdale, which is maybe unfair but that was the reputation then in some quarters.

My wife went to Drew and is now pissed! It seems that what was once a well-respected school has seriously lowered admission standards.

Holy crap, this is a logical post that hits the nail on the head. Well done NIRH, well done.

If we're being honest, Princeton is also the only actually difficult school in NJ to get admitted to for undergrad.

Yeah, Monmouth and Drew are both fine and and pretty places but I'm trying to figure out what you get for the price tag. Willy P and Montclair State are both fine and a lot cheaper than those places. Ramapo is IMHO a very underrated gem. Further south TCNJ would be outstanding though can be tough to get into. Once you get past the prestige places a private university is not a great investment, especially in NJ where there are numerous solid public options (not even mentioning RU here which is obviously better than all of those place).

If this person is from out of state I'd certainly steer them to their in state options before going to a second tier privaate university in NJ or any other sor any other state.

I would think even Newark or Camden campuses of Rutgers would be at the level or exceed a Monmouth purely on academics and then in terms of value and flexibility of a larger university including resources and greater prestige, it's basically a no brainer. Aesthetics of the campus and a higher level of intercollegiate sports is the only thing Monmouth would have over those two.

My adivice is this - if shes in it for the education she can certainly get a better deal in her state. Monmouth isnt super expensive, but its still a private school and not a great one. Of course if shes in it for the experience instad, Monmouth is fine choice - I think upper classman even have the option of living at Pier Village on the beach at Long Branch (they did a decade ago - not sure if that still holds.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT