ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PAC 12 champ game Oregon/Utah

See what happens if you change QBs? Probably wouldn’t happened here but at least give it a shot earlier in the season, not in the last half of the season.
In Utah's case, the QB was the problem. It was put into stark relief because they actually have an OL that blocks people and a generally functional offense. RU's offensive problems go way beyond the QB.

Reactions: BLewis1968
See what happens if you change QBs? Probably wouldn’t happened here but at least give it a shot earlier in the season, not in the last half of the season.
It's funny every time I saw Rising these last couple Oregon games I kept thinking he's like "super Vedral" lol. I don't know if it's the hair or what.

BTW Cam Rising was an OU commit at one time, think he switched to Texas then eventually ended up at Utah. Kingsbury did this and now I see Riley too, these guys know qbs. Their table scraps can be solid qbs.

Some may not like it but a hot team like Utah 9-1 after the change of qbs..who knows what kind of noise they could make in an expanded playoffs.
Well since they play in the PAC12 I can't say I am impressed on the 9-1 run from a national standpoint. Similar to the ACC this year. I can't see them beating The Big Ten, SEC or Big 12 champions this season. They were fun to watch and undoubtedly the best team out West. I enjoyed that game last night.

Well since they play in the PAC12 I can't say I am impressed on the 9-1 run from a national standpoint. Similar to the ACC this year. I can't see them beating The Big Ten, SEC or Big 12 champions this season. They were fun to watch and undoubtedly the best team out West. I enjoyed that game last night.
I'm not saying they would make a run but when a team gets hot you never know and that's part of what makes sports fun.

I'm not saying they would make a run but when a team gets hot you never know and that's part of what makes sports fun.
I see hot runs by lessor teams go win it all in other sports. What they all have in common is their extended playoffs have reduced the interest in the regular season. In NCAA basketball there zero excitement in all other non Rutgers games. TV tries to push the in season match up of games like Duke/NC as being important. It maybe important to their fans but from national standpoint it means nothing.
If CF expands playoffs to 12 then most of today's games would be irrelevant, several losing teams would still get in. If they go to 8 teams then every game today is a win and your are in game! Can't miss TV

Cristobal and Schiano are eerily similar, except Cristobal loses with far better talent. Ducks had lots of problems this year starting at QB. I don’t know if it was Cristobal or Moorhead who ran Shough out of town, but the BC transfer was very inconsistent. The injury bug also hit the Ducks hard.

Last edited:
I see hot runs by lessor teams go win it all in other sports. What they all have in common is their extended playoffs have reduced the interest in the regular season. In NCAA basketball there zero excitement in all other non Rutgers games. TV tries to push the in season match up of games like Duke/NC as being important. It maybe important to their fans but from national standpoint it means nothing.
If CF expands playoffs to 12 then most of today's games would be irrelevant, several losing teams would still get in. If they go to 8 teams then every game today is a win and your are in game! Can't miss TV
Well I think that's more a function of #of regular season games than the expansion of playoffs. Really before this summer I never thought about 12, always thought 8 was good. But reading about it more and more and seeing how it would have played out from 2014 made me like it more especially with the opportunity if afforded lower status schools who might have a dream season.

Are NFL games any less fun when the playoffs expanded. Still the most watched regular season sporting events out there. There are 17, used to be 16 and I think before that 14 maybe. So it's still a relatively small number so the games are still fun and meaningful since there are so few. Every one of them still has importance. CFB there are 12 so again a relatively small number, so they still have meaning. When you have 30+ regular season games like in CBB or the other major league sports yea the regular season has less meaning. But the numbers for football are still low so even if the regular season takes a little hit, I don't think it's that's much. Games might be more for seeding and byes like the NFL but that doesn't make them that much less fun to watch.

If today was in a 12 team playoff. MIchigan might be playing for seeding but Iowa would be playing for qualification. Baylor/Ok. State...Ok State maybe for seeding, Baylor for qualilfication. Pitt/WF for qualification. Utah/Oregon for qualification. Teams playing for their playoff lives and that's fun IMO.

Last edited:
Well I think that's more a function of #of regular season games than the expansion of playoffs. Really before this summer I never thought about 12, always thought 8 was good. But reading about it more and more and seeing how it would have played out from 2014 made me like it more especially with the opportunity if afforded lower status schools who might have a dream season.

Are NFL games any less fun when the playoffs expanded. Still the most watched regular season sporting events out there. There are 17, used to be 16 and I think before that 14 maybe. So it's still a relatively small number so the games are still fun and meaningful since there are so few. Every one of them still has importance. CFB there are 12 so again a relatively small number, so they still have meaning. When you have 30+ regular season games like in CBB or the other major league sports yea the regular season has less meaning. But the numbers for football are still low so even if the regular season takes a little hit, I don't think it's that's much. Games might be more for seeding and byes like the NFL but that doesn't make them that much less fun to watch.

If today was in a 12 team playoff. MIchigan might be playing for seeding but Iowa would be playing for qualification. Baylor/Ok. State...Ok State maybe for seeding, Baylor for qualilfication. Pitt/WF for qualification. Utah/Oregon for qualification. Teams playing for their playoff lives and that's fun IMO.
Playing for your playoff lives would be much bigger if today is these were elimination games. 8 team playoff does exactly that. 12 doesn't do that and diminishes the importance of the Championship games
NFL regular season and playoff viewership has been dropping for years. I don't see the extra team fixing it.
What the NFL has failed to do to create increased viewership for the SuperBowl is move the game to President's weekend.

Last edited:
PAC 12 title game tonight in Las Vegas. Can Utah take them out again for a trip to the Rose Bowl?

Will it be Cristobal’s last game in Oregon? Lots of reports of Miami making a hard push for him and they haven’t even fired Diaz yet. Already reports of Miami getting the Clemson AD and making him the highest paid AD at 3M. Reports of Oregon throwing out Tucker/Kelly/Riley numbers to keep him. Nike money vs probably still a lot of money and home/family. Will all of it be a distraction tonight?
Latest article from The Athletic minutes ago states that Da U countered with an offer that tops Oregon- plus no state income tax.

Latest article from The Athletic minutes ago states that Da U countered with an offer that tops Oregon- plus no state income tax.
Yup mentioned it somewhere probably the carousel thread. Supposedly Oregon has offered 7M, don't know how long and Miami topped that. So we'll see. They've also offered 3M for an AD, possibly the Clemson one who has past ties to Miami. They are going all out that's for sure. I'm guessing facility improvements and the rest are part of the package as well.

It's good for the ACC if they can capture some of their glory days, although I'm a little skeptical if Cristobal is the guy. He'll recruit like hell but then after? ACC is weaker but so was the PAC12 and no playoff appearances from there.

Only in cfb can you move directly from multiple career-worst performances to a high-stakes bidding war.

Even Herbstreit and Fowler were calling Oregon's performance embarrassing last night.

I think the Pac12 made a good decision moving the game from that dreary place south of San Francisco that always seemed cold and empty during most of their previous CCGs to the new domed stadium in Vegas. There was actually energy in the building, which seldom seemed to be the case before. Geographically, due to the great distances involved, there is no perfect location for the Pac12 to have its game. But LV is a reasonable drive from Salt Lake City, Tucson, Tempe, and LA, and not too bad from the Bay Area. Plus Oregon and UW have the best traveling fan bases in the conference when the teams are good, so LV could become a reasonably good home for the Pac12 CCG in the same way that the Indianapolis stadium has been for the B1G CCG since its inception in 2011.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT